Group hug – Team has 90 min vent session

By , November 22, 2009 1:31 pm

As per Oilers home page, the Oilers had a 9am meeting this morning, with 7 players sticking around for a 90-min exchange between them and the coaches. Players that stuck behind were Sheldon Souray, Ales Hemsky, Dustin Penner, Shawn Horcoff, Nikolai Khabibulin, Steve Staios and Ethan Moreau. The meeting apparently was well received by both sides, despite some areas of concern laid out by the coaching staff.

What matters most though is how the players respond on the ice, however. I think I’m benching Bryzgalov in the pool tomorrow, because I’m hoping the Oilers come out flying against the Coyotes.

In more positive news, the Springfield Falcons are having success, at least, as their win last night put them to within 3 points of first in the Eastern Conference.

10 Responses to “Group hug – Team has 90 min vent session”

1. NorwegianOiler says:

I wonder how fast the “This is our team” reference is going to snowball into massive trade speculation πŸ˜€

haha well to be honest, Renney did make an interesting comment in the audio/video interview. I can see people picking apart the management comment: “Its up to management to make decisions based on what they see and what we tell them as far as personnel “, etc. (not the exact quote)

3. NorwegianOiler says:

Yes, that one exactly. Now cue the mania!

4. Mr.Majestyk says:

A blockbuster that sees us get Lecavalier with Hemsky going the other way.;)

Ahh if only. His value has dropped a little bit lately. hmmmmm πŸ˜›

Well to be honest NO, Quinn and Renney were brought in to figure out who’s NHL calibre and who is not. I think we’ve had ample time for evaluation of many individuals and not enough on others due to flu and injury.

Quinn has always given a very specific mandate to management as to what he wants as a coach and since he has GM experience, I’d guess he has his eye on players in the league that he might suggest.

Nice to see open communication being facilitated here instead of press insults and slander like last year and years before with certain players. You get the feeling that the players know they suck and they need to listen to Quinn to figure out how to be a good team. There’s been way too much turnover on this team in the last five years and the veteran continuity is gone.

Say what you will but we have likely gone too far to fast in the youth movement. A couple of solid vets would look nice to settle the attitude and instill NHL veteran habits.

So with that, it’s pretty much a given that Nilsson will be re-assigned to the KHL. πŸ˜›

Mr.Majestyk: A blockbuster that sees us get Lecavalier with Hemsky going the other way.;)

Well, to be honest I can kind of see Hemsky being potential trade bait next year, or even this year almost. I know its way too early to speculate but mine as well let your imagination soar. I think there could be a few other top forwards that could play Quinn’s style a little better. He’d probably go for a huge deal though but once his contract expires in 11/12 I can’t really see the Oilers re-signing him. Especially when we have Magnus Paajarvi potentially breaking a roster spot in a few years… (well three or four maybe)

Have you guys seen the poll at the Oilers website for who should start tomorrow, JDD or Doobie? I can’t see it being too many votes yet but Doobie is taking it. I haven’t really seen this guy in action yet. I’m not one to base someones entire game of their stats but they don’t say much but all I hear is promising things from this kid. I see JDD getting the start though, hands down.

8. OilerTyler says:

I want to see DD start, because I don’t know how long Bulin will be out for, and Phoenix is the easiest team we will be playing for a little while. Deslauriers has also played the last two games, if we are going to play him against LA and SJ, we might want to give him a game off in between because (I think) he has never played more than 2 games in a row before.

Sucks for the Falcons… DD has gotten almost every start down there and they’ve been doing quite well. Hopefully he’s not up long, for there sake. But he shouldn’t be. I’d have to think that Khabi would only miss a couple of games. Wouldn’t mind seeing DD in some NHL action tomorrow.

The poll has been fixed so that you can answer more than one answer at a time. Didn’t know it was set to max out at 1. Oops. If you voted already, feel free to vote again if you wanted to pick more answers.