GDT – Oilers 2, Rangers 4 – Nov 5, 2009 – Game 16

By , November 5, 2009 12:00 am
GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. New York Rangers

GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. New York Rangers

The Oilers hope to regain some of the offence they had in the first 10 or so games of the season against the visiting Rangers, tonight. The Rangers have been going through some offensive struggles of their own, as of late, having only scored 5 goals in their last 4 games. Both teams will be looking for a bit of a rebound. The Oilers have been on a horrible slide, having only one game (in shootout) of their last 6, after starting out 6-2-1 on the season.

The Oilers are hoping for some secondary scoring from Comrie, who returns to the line up tonight, as well as O’Sullivan who will be tried at his natural center position tonight. In addition, Gagner returns to the top line at center, as Horcoff is out with a shoulder injury. Check the game notes for more information on that and several other injury updates.

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

22.2PP%21
86.7PK%81.5
28S/G25.1
29.9SA/G33.9
48.2FO%46.7

GAME NOTES

- Early word from Quinn on that is that “page 2 of the trainer’s handbook” says 7 to 10 days for Horcoff’s shoulder injury.
- Ryan Stone looks to be 10 to 14 days away.
- Steve Staios returns to the line up tonight. Never a fan of him being paired with Strudwick, but good to see him back, as his loss was bigger than most people in the Oil world would admit, save for the coaches. Staios says he feels pretty good now. “I feel energized again. You realize how much you miss the game when you’re sitting out. You realize how privileged you are to be playing in the league and I’m really excited about getting back in.”
- Sheldon Souray was on the ice today, having a solo skate and is starting to do light workouts. This is great news, but doesn’t necessarily mean he’ll be back any time soon. Hopefully things continue to be positive with him.
- You may have noticed that Smid isn’t mentioned above.. he could be back for tonight’s game (gameday decision, I’m sure), but he missed the last practice due to illness.

1ST PERIOD SUMMARY

15:28 – NYR – Higgins from Gilroy, Staal
Higgins gives and goes with GIlroy and gets the pass back in the circle to Khabi’s right and snaps it into the net.

Other Highlights
- MacIntyre gets into Quinn’s doghouse for taking a hooking penalty in the offensive zone.
- Callahan undresses Strudwick and gets a shot off on goal. Khabi mishandles it and kicks a juicy rebound in the slot for Boyle who shoots it off the backup goaltender, Steve Staios. But later on the play, Higgins proves he can’t stop them all.
- The Oilers didn’t get a single penalty in Long Island, but they have three powerplays in the 1st period.

2ND PERIOD SUMMARY

10:36 – NYR – PPG – Callahan from Del Zotto, Kotalik
Del Zotto throws the pass to the slot where Callahan manages to tip it through some bodies and past Khabibulin.
14:52 – EDM – Visnovksy from Hemsky
Visnovsky gets it at the point and skates all the way down to the goal line and fires a backhand past Valiquette
16:37 – NYR – PPG – Kotalik from Gaborik, Prospal
Gaborik fires a pass from the corner, goalline to the face off dot to Khabibulin’s right, and Kotalik wires it past the netminder.

Other Highlights
- Prospal stands up Gagner at the Oilers blue line on a break out and nearly knocks the moustache off Gagner’s face.
- Visnovsky gets one great chance on the Oilers first full powerplay in the 2nd on a cross ice pass on which he skates in and shoots it, but Valiquette has all angles covered well.
- Penner blasts a shot from 40 feet out, but Valiquette snaps the leather, doing his best Grant Fuhr impersonation.
- Hemsky puts his usual clinic on, dangling into the dangerous region right in the slot but he gets a wiff of a shot off as his stick path was partially blocked.
- Comrie sets up Stortini beautifully giving him a chance on an almost completely open net, but he heels it wide as the pass wasn’t quite in the wheel house.
- Another offensive zone penalty (at least three tonight) for the Oilers as Pisani gets caught for holding.

3RD PERIOD SUMMARY

7:31 NYR – PPG – Gaborik from Kotalik, Prospal
Kotalik fires it from the point and it barely trickles through Khabibulin. Gaborik barely beats to Grebeshkov to the puck and taps it in.
10:17 EDM – Comrie from O’Sullivan, Brule
O’Sullivan digs hard into the zone and can’t quite get a shot off. But he turns and backhands a pass to the net where Comrie is there to put it in.

Other Highlights
- Hemsky still firing on all cylinders tonight. He likes to put on clinics versus Eastern Conference teams. Early in the period he dekes through into the Rangers territory and gets a pass to Gagner who almost tips it in.
- Pisani gets tagged with a 4-minute High Sticking penalty.
- Penner gets a great short-handed chance going one on two, deking his way into the crease and nearly getting a goal. Great hands displayed there.
- Moreau takes a horrible penalty in the offensive zone, bowling over Gilroy from behind, in front of the net when the puck is nowhere near him.
- The Oilers do manage to kill off this PP quite well.
- With 2:15 left in the game, with the puck in the Rangers zone and the Oilers getting a free time out due to glass repairs, the Oilers pull Khabibulin.

POST-GAME RANT

Not a lot of positives tonight. The Oilers played an OK game. Not a really bad game, but not a good game either. The Oilers took some really stupid penalties though. MacIntyre took one early on and didn’t see a minute of ice time for it. Moreau took one in the third with the team down by two, and he is out in the final minute of the game. A bit of favoritism there.

The top line looked pretty good, as per usual, thanks to Penner and Hemsky. Both were their usual selves and looked like top line skill players, but it wasn’t enough and neither could put any points up. It was also good to see Staios back, although I will again say that him and Strudwick are not a good pairing. But Staios did look good tonight. O’Sullivan earned the second star tonight, and looked good at center on the second line. It was also great to see Comrie back tonight too.

Special teams were the story tonight. The Rangers powerplay looked good (thanks to Kotalik and Gaborik and Prospal) and the Oilers powerplay fell very flat again tonight. Back to the drawing board, folks.

89 Responses to “GDT – Oilers 2, Rangers 4 – Nov 5, 2009 – Game 16”

1. Horpensky says:

Is Chris Drury really a 4th liner?? And people thought we were bad for having Horcoff, how about Chris Drury (and Wade Redden) making 8 million this season!

Anyways this looks like a tough game and I don’t expect us to win it. Though we do somehow manage to win the tough games and give up the easy ones. Anyone for Kotalik blasting a few past us?

Hoping for a win to turn things around! The Rangers are tough but hey, the Isles beat them and we beat the…oh right…

Well Rangers did lose to Minny though, and we beat Minny…when we were healthier and still riding on the new coaching high…

Anyway, if they play 60 minutes then anything can happen, but since they are still not 100% I’m not expecting a win either. However, the Rangers have been struggling a bit as well (only 2 wins in their last 8 games). A win would do wonders for the Oilers’ confidence. Happy to see Staios back though even just for some vet presence. I wouldn’t mind seeing JD in net either.

Watch Del Zotto though, he’s something else…pretty nice to watch if you’re a Rangers fan.

The Oilers have had better luck in PPV this year (despite their last loss) than I recall them ever having last year. Hmmm.. do I order this one?? Probably won’t be very entertaining.

I think the Oilers get another “wtf” offense explosion. I’ll guess 5-3 Oilers in a surprising one.

4. DropIt says:

Its too bad the game is so late…. the Oilers could have tried to claim the world series tv slot

5. Horpensky says:

Racki: Horpensky: Just relaying the lines that were on HFBoards from the Vancouver game. They could be wrong, so I wouldn’t put too much stock in Drury being a 4th liner. But I would not doubt it. The TEAM 1260 had an interview last night with a reporter from New York Newsday (I think) and he was asked to comment on how Drury is making 7M (cap hit) to play center there and not putting up points.

From what I’ve seen every underachieving player, their real salary is always brought up instead of their cap hit to make them look worse (see Horcoff). It really bothers me how people do that, but I’m just going to keep joking around because Drury and Redden are making 8 million this year.

i hear about the horcoff making 7 mil every single hockey game that I play…it seems to be the focus point for every horcoff hater

7. DropIt says:

Well its a valid convern though. He eats up a tonne of cap space that could be used on 2 players that produce 50-60 points each.

but its not 7 mil…its 5.5 mil

because the second he hits the midway point people aren’t going to be saying he sucks at 3.5 mil, they are going to say he sucks at 5.5 mil

got to be fair while judging

Add JFJ to the list of people missing from today’s skate. On a good note, apparently Stone is skating now (although obviously not in the line up yet).

JFJ is doubtful with back spasms, Smid will be out with the flu but nice to see Comrie is expected to play. All this per the Journal, tagged onto the end of their update on Souray, which to me was the best news in a month, and included a 3-4 minute video interview with him. Nice to see him again and although there is no timeline, very nice to see he seems to have finally turned a corner and will be able to slowly work his way back. He basically couldn’t do anything for the last month so it will still be a while, but very positive news.

MacIntyre will draw in over JFJ tonight. JFJ is hurt just as LNOF said. Smid just has a sore throat, but will sit out. He will be able to go Saturday according to reports.

Valiquette is in net for the Rangers tonight. This will be his third game of the season. He had an 18 save shut out vs the Ducks and was then lit up by the Sharks. Hard to say if this will increase our chances, but most NYR fans on HF Boards seem to think it might. Wouldn’t take anything for granted though, you never know with backup goalies, especially ones who have been sitting on a bad outing for a while.

13. NorwegianOiler says:

Worried about the ‘back spasms’ that Jacques has. Back problems was what kept him out for a around a year not long ago…He’s had an encouraging start too!

Thanks for the updates folks. I’ll try and fix the lineups above accordingly.

Who’s ordering this PPV tonight??

N.O.: good point, definitely a valid concern. Hopefully he will only miss a game this time around.

15. Trogdor says:

I doubt I’ll be ordering tonight’s game. Might be able to entice the missus out to dinner at BP’s though…

I have a feeling I will crumble in the final seconds before the PPV starts and order the PPV.

17. DropIt says:

I hope SOMEONE buys it…. cause I was planning on it… and if I am the only one buying this game tonight i think i’m gonna look stupid

dammit, i don’t like this sopcast crap

rod sick today?

Hahah, I went and bought the PPV too. Tried the sopcast thing and that’s the laggiest thing I’ve ever watched. Makes the edmontonoilers.com stream look good.

I figure if the Calgary fan (/closet Oiler fan) is considering ordering PPV, I better be ordering it too. :P

Stortini back on the PP for a bit.. translation – PP stinks again tonight.

Quiet night, is the PPV so riveting that no one can comment?

Meanwhile, I must say I’m riveted by the NYR (Rangers can do no wrong) commentators…

Btw, we apparently signed a Fransisco Pisani, whoever the hell he is…

Man did Callaghan make Strudiwck look useless.

I was just about to say how nice for Habby to bring his horseshoes tonight, and then we’re down 1.

lol @ Fransisco Pisani

i’m listening to it on the radio

yay

LNOF I think Habby’s horseshoe = Steve Staios

29. Horpensky says:

I’m just Cheding it tonight, I have no idea how the effort has been, but they mentioned 1 shot in 4 mins of PP should speak volumes. I have a feeling the entire game will play out like that

The powerplay was pretty weak. They had 3 powerplays.

The effort has been alright, but not good enough yet.

MacIntyre got in the doghouse early on with a bad penalty, and looks to be staying in there for the rest of the night, perhaps.

2-0 lead for the Rangers.

Nice passing, wow, there’s that Del Zotto again – picked him in my pool and no one else had heard of him.

I have no idea why we can’t find the back of the net, I mean we have had some great chances tonight.

The hockey gods hate us.

I crap my pants every time I hear the name Strudwick, followed by Callahan.

I’m very happy we are getting good chances, but we can’t let another no name back up beat us. It truly is turning into last season all over again, and I only say this because I still don’t think we have ANY leaders on this team that are not named Souray.

Racki: Like I said Strudwick has been horrible all season. He is seeing way too much time. I hope to god Smid replaces him next game.

BO: least of all an Oiler-rejects, no name back up. :P

VISNOVSKKKKKKKKKKKKY

What a play by Hemsky to set him up. We really needed that one. WAY TO LITE THE LAMP!

There we go! Wow what an angle. Keep putting pucks to the net boys!

And more chances are coming for the Oil, but we just took a dumb penalty. That was close right there, Pisani should have put it home.

The Oilers need to stop with the dumb offensive zone penalties.

Damn it.. who’s that Kotalik guy that just scored..

I’m cheding it tonigt as my dad told me to go to bed for my test tomorrow. Slipped in my headphones and am listening on the laptop. Bob does a great job calling the game.

Had to be Kotalik…..what is wrong with the PK tonight?

I knew Kotalik would come back to haunt us.

That was a nice tape to tape pass by Gaborik on the Kotalik goal.

I wanted to keep him….he has 6 goals this year and we could have used him with Souray out.

oh man.. another dumb one. Gilbert this time.