GDT – Oilers at Thrashers – Nov 15, 2009 – PPV – Game 20

By , November 15, 2009 9:01 am
GDT - Edmonton Oilers at Atlanta Thrashers

GDT - Edmonton Oilers at Atlanta Thrashers

Well, another PPV for this afternoon’s game (there is still one more to go this month). The Oilers head into this one after back to back losses in which they played well enough to win (with one of them being a shootout loss in Ottawa). Atlanta is on a 3 game winning streak, including hammering the Kings Friday by a score of 7-0. Kovalchuk, Afinogenov and Kane each had 2 goal games and will be players to watch today.

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

22.4PP%24.6
81.2PK%83.3
26.3S/G28.1
33.5SA/G34.8
46.6FO%50.9

GAME NOTES

- Lines are still up in the air a bit, as Nilsson, Horcoff, and Souray are game time decisions. All three are probable to play, however.
- In case you missed it, Grebeshkov (knee injury), Pisani (Colitis flare-up), and Chorney (ankle injury) all flew back to Edmonton and will miss the rest of the road trip, and likely even more time than that.
- Call-up defenseman Dean Arsene is expected to play with Staios today if Souray is not cleared to play.

POST-GAME RANT

To follow the game.

20 Responses to “GDT – Oilers at Thrashers – Nov 15, 2009 – PPV – Game 20”

1. NorwegianOiler says:

Finally a gametime to my favour ;) 8pm isn’t too shabby, those pesky 4 30am Pacific games are worse!

GO OILERS! Better shut down mr Kovalchuk right away!

2. HockeyNoob says:

Hm, Souray’s the big question mark for this game. It would be nice to see him finally return. On the other hand, Arsene’s has a chance to play in his first NHL game. Hmm.

GOILERS!

3. NorwegianOiler says:

The possible Arsene-Staios pairing…unnerving ;)
    Haven’t a problem with Arsene finally getting a chance, though.

Any news on the lineup?

and in other programming notes, LETS GO ESKS!!!

An Oil/Esks victory weekend would be perfect right about now

5. NorwegianOiler says:

That was arguably the worst period of hockey I have seen the Oilers ‘play’ in a long time. They can thank heavens that it was matched by a rather abysmal Atlanta-effort. Against any other opponent they’d be down 0-4 by now.

No offensive plan whatsoever, soft plays all around…

Missed the first, sounds like I didn’t miss much.

Souray!!! Happy to have him back! Also, nice to hear Reddox and Horcoff are back – but really happy for Souray, had to have been tough for him missing so much time.

Khabi’s certainly doing his part mid-way through this frame.

Penner from Cogs!! 2-1, Nice!

Oh Sheldon…there’s the rust. Setting up for a good third, we’ll see how well they respond. This Thrashers team is dangerous.

8. NorwegianOiler says:

Somewhat better, if only for the goals. Still a bit soft on the puck. Our defensive positioning and lack of puck pressure (at most times) is absolutely puzzling to me. The Thrashers control the puck on the blueline and both our centreman AND our winger drop down to cover…nothing and no-one whatsoever and allow the d-man to get away a shot. This is a reoccurring thing I can not reconsile with…

Cogliano has been energetic, loved his patience on the goal – he should be rewarded with some PP time sooner rather than later. Too few are hitting and aggressively going after the puck though.

Gave up the lead late…horrible.

9. OilerTyler says:

We lost this game when Moreau took his 6th offensive zone penalty of the year.

Well, not sure what to say about this one. I thought Hedberg played well but the Oilers could have capitalized more on their chances. On the other hand, without some of the saves Khabi made the Oilers would have been blown out. Unfortunately, it looked like he lost track of the puck on the winning goal, but it was from a prime scoring chance. So, could have easily been a high scoring affair and ended up with the same result. Just didn’t have enough to hold the lead and finish it off.

I am hopeful though that with the players starting to return now from injury/flu that the team can now start to gel again. It’s almost like a new season.

12. OilerTyler says:

Bostonoiler: How many times do I need to say it, Moreau sucks, he needs to go. I’ve thought that ever since the cup run. This team has been just pitiful since the good start. It makes me wonder when Tambi will open his god damn eyes and make some much needed moves. First up is trade Moreau. If they play like this, we will be out of it by Christmas.

We are too injured right now, once we are healthy we will be fine.

OilerTyler: We might have dug a hole too deep by the time we get healthy again.

14. NorwegianOiler says:

You persistence in blaming Moreau for every loss is baffling. As I alluded to after the previous game, there are trees indeed, but there is also a forest. Moreau’s penalty was certainly NOT the reason we did not win, nor was Moreau’s play in general. This insistence, from you and others, to keep looking at individuals after every loss is to me completely off the mark.

Obviously our TEAM is struggling to find each other, chemistry (if you want to use a vague term), and otherwise spur each other on to fight for more than just the last desperate minutes. We were lucky to be close after the first, did fairly well in the second, but overall fail to bring enough energy. In addition to, of course, our dismal power play. Those elements are none of Moreau’s fault, as he is neither on the power play nor does he puppeteer the other players to the degree that he can make them work harder.

Having said that about the work ethic I am compelled to re-state my concerns with the team’s apparent inability to play a smart positional game AND also be aggressive on the puck carrier (if that is at all our game plan, sometimes it looks as if it is not). We allow other teams to drop passes, make cute little plays in centre ice and always (!) seem to allow opposition blueliners at least 3 seconds to tee up a blast or simply make an unchallenged play to someone down low. If we are to get anywhere, these defensive issues must be addressed.

Then there’s the offense…which I will whine about another time :P

Disappointing nonetheless, but not Moreau’s fault (this time either, BostonOiler)

Clearly this team needs help NO, its obvious. I don’t know if we are good enough to make it in, I want them to, but do we really have the depth to make a run to the 7th or 8th seed? We had a great start, then faded off big time. No doubt getting Souray back will help, and Horcoff will pick it up soon, hes already starting. We really need Grebeskov and Stone and JFJ back. There is no intensity from these guys at all, and some games it looks like they don’t care. NO, I agree that the game wasn’t entirely Ethan’s fault, but honestly how many times can a guy take a lazy offensive zone penalty that kills the team’s momentum before he gets benched. Put him on the 4th line please, Brule deserves to be ahead of him, no doubt. I think Gagner needs to be moved up to the 1st line with Penner and Hemsky. I just don’t know if thee guys will be in it come Christmas time, which pisses me off, because I really though this year would be different. Thin of it this way, at least Tambi will start to make moves in the off-season IF the team fail to make the playoffs again. I also want to just say, I think this might be it for Fernando, I’m not sure if hes coming back this time, which really sucks because he is an asset and a real like able guy according to a lot of media people.

I missed tonight’s game, but with all the injuries happening, it’s hard to really judge this team, if not impossible. Need to wait until more guys are back. Plus, Atlanta just annihilated the Kings 7-0. Hanging on 3-2 doesn’t sound so bad to me.

I take it Souray didn’t play and Arsene did? If so, how was he?

Edit: nevermind, I see by the boxscore Souray did play.

Holy hell, and Reddox played too? Was Nilsson a healthy scratch, or injured still?

I’m surprised about Reddox being back. It seems like our bigger players are the ones more susceptible to injury.

17. Hockey Noob says:

Good thoughts on the game everyone. I agree with Norwegian Oiler that the first period was one of the worst team efforts that I’ve seen in recent years. The Oilers had just one shot by the 15 minute mark. For the first goal against, I have to place some blame on the coaching staff. Against the second best powerplay in the league, we did a great job killing the penalty, then Quinn threw Strudwick, Gilbert, Reddox, and Potulny over the boards with 30 seconds left. One or two of the above maybe, but all four together?

Things improved in the second period, well, except the powerplay. Commentators always note that the goalie is the most important penalty killer and Hedberg took that to the extreme. Hedberg managed to clear the puck from the zone on numerous occasions.

We had a brief 2-1 lead until 30 seconds remained on the clock at the end of the second. Two players around the net and Souray jumping into the action in the Thrashers zone while short-handed was not a good decision. Studwick doesn’t have the foot-speed to be left as the lone player back. Even if it were Visnovsky, he couldn’t have closed the long stretch pass.

Back to the powerplay, Atlanta does have an effective penalty killing system. It’s pretty aggressive and caused tons of problems for us. Aside from that, our second unit kept trying to dump the puck and Hedberg cleared it before they could get in on the forecheck.

Well, it’s tough seeing the 2-7-1 record over the last ten games. We went 35% on faceoffs which also didn’t help. As Norwegian Oiler said, I agree that we were often poorly positioned in the neural zone. As well, we gave the Thrashers too much time to handle the puck at the blue line.

With all of these losses, it has to have an effect on the team’s confidence. Hopefully, someone can provide some spark.

cheers!

18. Horpensky says:

I didn’t see this game as I was getting ready to watch the football game (which we also lost grrrr)… but just some things observed based on stats.

The go to line: definitely Horcoff, Penner, and Hemsky given the amount of ice time they get. They must be playing well as they all got points.

Thrown in the fire: Souray leads ice time wiht 25 minutes on his first game back. How did he look?

Play well, play more: Gagner’s minutes have gone from 23 mins in Ottawa, to 21 in Buffalo, and only 13 tonight. Was his game tonight that much worse that Quinn didn’t want to use him more?

Outshooting curse: I think we’re 0-4 when outshooting opponents now. Before I was a firm believer we just needed more pucks on net, but it’s pretty clear something else is up, especially with O’Sullivan’s shooting % so low.

19. Horpensky says:

1st quarter report

So we’re done 1/4 of the season (already?!?!), and we sit 24th in the league (8-10-2) and 3 points from the basement in the West. This doesn’t look good, and we just didn’t ever seem to recover from the slump when the flu hit.

I’ve been blaming a lot on injuries, but it’s gotten to the point where we can’t blame them anymore. We’re still missing Stone and JFJ and I honestly don’t think that those two guys will make such a huge difference. It will change the makeup of our lineup with some more grit, but ultimately it’s a team game and like NorwegianOiler said, they lose because the team isn’t playing well, not because of individual efforts.

This team just needs the confidence to play the way they were in the first few games and need everybody on the same page. It was easier then because everyone was eager to get started and it was a fresh start for all, so they all followed the plan. Then the flu hit and some significant players were out, they started losing, and the players weren’t sure anymore. Last season players were buying in and deciding to show up on different games, thus the inconsistency. I’m kinda getting that vibe from this team right now because their confidence is low, but of course I’m not a mind reader so who knows.

Speaking of quarterly reports, the three of us (Steve-O, Trogdor and I) are working on one as we speak. Hopefully it will be up in the next day or two.