GDT – Oilers 1, Islanders 3, Nov 2, 2009 – Game 15

By , November 2, 2009 12:11 pm
GDT - Edmonton Oilers at New York Islanders

GDT - Edmonton Oilers at New York Islanders

The Edmonton Oilers head into Long Island an ugly mess, having been shut out 3 of the last 4 games (we’re all getting tired of hearing that) and allowing Detroit to walk away with 1 point in a game where the Oilers had a 5-1 lead. The Islanders, meanwhile, have been a hot team as of late, winning their last 3 games over a span of 4 days against their conferences top teams (Capitals (2), Sabres (3), Rangers (4)).

The Oilers struggles as of late, have been to find goal scoring, but I believe a lot of that has to do with inability to protect their own zone. You can’t score goals when you spend the majority of the game watching the opponent handle the puck in your zone. “We have to start thinking about the defensive side again and making sure we don’t give up much,” said Quinn. “We do it well sometimes. For half games. (In Boston) we started giving them the puck, turning it over, then the next thing you know, we’re in our zone, not theirs, and thinking about surviving rather than winning a hockey game. Our defencemen need help from the forwards. They need to be much more involved in the play without the puck than they have been.”

Tonight marks Roloson’s debut against his former team. Roloson spent most of last year being a nightmare for opposition shooters and has hopes of doing the same to his former club. Khabibulin should get the start for the Oilers.

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

21PP%21.3
80PK%82.4
25.2S/G30.4
33.7SA/G33.4
47.1FO%53.5

GAME NOTES

- Lubomir Visnovsky will return to action tonight, knocking Theo Peckham back out of the line up.
– Dwayne Roloson will make his play vs. his former team.
– Shawn Horcoff is the latest to be battling the flu, although it sounds like it won’t keep him out of the line-up.
– Mike Comrie will remain out of the line-up with the flu. Making matters worse for him, Comrie also has asthma issues. The two can be pretty dangerous combined so the Oilers won’t want to take any chances with him.
– Steve Tambellini’s son Jeff scored his first NHL hat trick on Saturday.
– Dan Tencer: Mike Comrie is going to take the pre-game warmup tonight in New York.

1ST PERIOD SUMMARY

11:02 – EDM – Moreau from Stortini, Cogliano
Moreau behind the net just trying to fire it out front some how banks it off an Islander’s skate and past Roloson
14:51 – NYI – Tavares from Moulson, Weight
Islanders win a battle behind the Oilers net on a dump in. Moulson passes it out front to Tavares in the slot who won’t make a mistake from that range, and doesn’t.

Other Highlights
– Came into this one a bit late as I was hesitant to order it.
– Looks like Visnovsky playing with Smid.
– O’Sullivan and Brule get a 2-on-1. O’Sullivan telegraphs pass all the way, but actually ends up shooting, but Roloson wasn’t buying it and played the angle perfectly.
– Right after the first Islanders goal, Khabibulin makes a great save on another Tavares/Moulson tandem attack.
– Hemsky is a dangle machine already, having had two great moves where he walked in all alone.
– Gilbert carries the puck to the neutral zone and puts his head down to go around one defender. He just barely catches Andy Sutton coming at him to level him and goes low as Sutton comes up high at him. This draws attention from Jacques who drops them with Sutton. Didn’t look like many punches landed here. Lots of jersey punches.
– Jacques gets the instigator, and the Islanders get the powerplay.

2ND PERIOD SUMMARY

2:32 – NYI – Witt from Nielsen
Witt just fires it on net through traffic from the side boards and it eludes Khabibulin and goes through his legs.
12:35 – NYI – Witt, from Weight, Tambellini
Khabibulin is getting bombarded from all angles, but a knuckler from the point from Witt is the one that gets by him.

Other Highlights
– Horcoff steps over the blue line and releases a quick wrister that rings off the post.
– Horcoff manages to knock the stick out of Roloson’s hands while in front of the net and for a brief moment the Oilers are scrambling around trying to take advantage. However they only get one half-shot on from a broken stick.
– The Oilers are still struggling in their own zone and the Islanders are walking around pretty freely.
– The whistle goes and Nielsen is still trying to strip the puck off Hemsky who’s playing a little game of keep-away.
– O’Sullivan hits Jackman hard as they both go in the corner, knocking him on his butt.
– Oilers were heavily outplayed for most of this period. They’re giving the Islanders too much respect in the Oilers zone.

3RD PERIOD SUMMARY

No scoring.

Other Highlights
– Roloson was way out of his crease and gets bowled over by Penner and draws a penalty as he flops on the ice (same old Roli!).
– Horcoff gets drilled by Sutton.
– Penner does another power-forward impersonation driving to the from the goal line and gets a nice shot on Roli.
– Horcoff limps off to the bench, and Thompson gives him a cheap shove as he’s stepping into the bench. Cogliano gives him a shot in the chest on the way by.
– Khabibulin getting shelled with shots again.
– Announcers point out that Sutton hit Hemsky 3 times in this shift near the end of the period.
– Gagner gets pushed into the net in the last half minute of the game. Gagner pushes back after the whistle and a nice scrum ensues.

POST-GAME RANT

Short rant for today. The Oilers were fairly outplayed again tonight. Same old story as the last few games (2/3s of Detroit game, excluded). The Oilers did start off well in the first period, but beyond that, they didn’t really put up an honest effort until the end of the game. The Tavares goal was a nice goal on his part, but the other two, I wouldn’t say Khabibulin looked too good on. But aside from that, he had another solid appearance and really kept the team in the game.

143 Responses to “GDT – Oilers 1, Islanders 3, Nov 2, 2009 – Game 15”

1. Trogdor says:

My random refreshing of the tsn scores shows me nothing but the time slowly running out. Has the late in the 3rd urgency kicked in yet?

Racki, you should have had everyone over to watch the game then we could all stay home from work tomorrow.

Jesus 14-3 the shots in the 3rd. Islanders with the 14 of course.

Racki: Horcoff hurt wouldn’t be a bad thing. Not trying to be an a$$ but he has been terrible.

Trogdor: As you can tell by my 3rd period shot count, no urgency shown by the Oil yet.

5. NorwegianOiler says:

Right now it’s ALL psychological for both Grebs and Gilbert. They have proven before that they can play an intelligent and sound game in their own zone, but for some reason they’re both making terrible decisions all over the line. I don’t see Gilby as a one-dimensional player at all, in fact, the only thing that really lacks from his game (apart from better decision making :P) is nastyness. He’s big enough, skilled enough to be a 2way force of some capacity, but he’s not bringing it – seems much like a certain forward of ours last season…That’s now doing quite well.

It’s a snowball of defensive problems and I don’t think any single player (apart from that elusive superstar) will make much of a difference right now. And if it doesn’t it’s better to focus on tidying up our team game.

and still none. Quinn needs to send a message. Sit Horcoff against the Rangers

B.O.: yah I know you’re not alone in your thoughts, but I don’t really think he’s been the real problem on this team lately. But he’s not exactly been part of the solution either.

The difference between him and other players though is his effort is always there.

and rod continues to lose his shit…are the ref’s really that bad?

9. Trogdor says:

Racki: Jesus 14-3 the shots in the 3rd. Islanders with the 14 of course.

Yeah, just had a look at the boxscore… 37-20 on the shot clock so far. As for Horcoff, I have him in one of my pools, so hopefully he turns things around soon. For the sake of my team and his.

If Witt gets a hat-trick I will give up on this team lol

Steve-O: not really. I don’t think this has been an issue with reffing at all to bring it up.

12. Trogdor says:

Steve-O: and rod continues to lose his shit…are the ref’s really that bad?

That’s just how he talks I think. Probably gets avoided in elevators.

Oilers have not had a good goal since the Red Wing game. Tonights goal was puuuuure luck

also for what its worth, i think gilbert (and grebber grabber) are good defensively, you just don’t see them punish players…but you also don’t see lidstrom killing people either

its the small smart plays like not just firing it up the boards but taking a quick look and making the 8ft outlet pass (so long as the forwards are there for them) and the quick reversals that make them golden.

i think your being hard on them

chorney and peckham are just rookies so they will make mistakes

i’m more worried about getting players like strudwick and staios in exchange for these young guys

PHILLIPS RAGE!!!!!!!!!!

hahaha…if your not listening to 630 ched you have to start cause this is pure money

wow……we lost to the Islanders…….great just great. I don’t even know what to say. Another pee-pee poor effort.

18. Trogdor says:

Well, decent game on TSN at the moment, if there are any NFL fans out there. Touchdown Saints!

Rangers next? At least Gaborik is out, or is he back now?

Trogdor: Well, decent game on TSN at the moment, if there are any NFL fans out there.Touchdown Saints!Rangers next?At least Gaborik is out, or is he back now?

yeah, i was watching until my pvr decided that it wants to record on both tuners

and yes, i believe gaborik is back

N.O.: Penner is a valid comparison as to someone who was accused of similar non-physical play, so fair enough. I still stick to my guns on this one though. Will it fix our problems to have the guy I’m talking about? No, I don’t think so and wasn’t suggesting so. But I think that would go further than you would think though.

And really, ultimately I would much prefer to keep all of Gilbert, Grebeshkov, Souray, Visnovsky and Smid. I only say Gilbert to move because he (to me) brings a bit less than the other guys). If we could hang on to all those guys and bring in someone who I will call Smid 2.0 (just for the sake of argument that we don’t necessarily need a one-dimensional guy), then that to me is the ultimate. It allows the team to split up the d-men and pair up a puck mover with a big guy who has more focus on the defensive zone.

Anyways, I see you are not bending on the issue either ;)

Crappy loss folks.

No, he is back. He played against Boston yesterday. Terrible game by the Oilers. Sadly for the 1st time I really don’t know if this team will make the playoffs……:(

Racki: If we could hang on to all those guys and bring in someone who I will call Smid 2.0 (just for the sake of argument that we don’t necessarily need a one-dimensional guy), then that to me is the ultimate

I think that guy is Peckham…just needs to play 6th spot, get back up to speed from the injury and be spoon fed some experience

hopefully they leave Strudwick in New York and he can’t find his way to Edmonton. Thats our best bet now lmao

i think strudwick is better served by playing the spot that macintyre currently is, occasional games with limited ice time

anyways, off to bed to hopefully sleep off the last of this hangover

Steve-O: Yah, that could be. He won’t be in that role for a while though. But I guess patience is in order there.

And as far as Gilbert, I really do like him, so while it sounds like I’m dumping on him specifically, I only throw his name out there because he’s a tradeable asset. Ideally if Steve Staios and Jason Strudwick could land us Robyn Regehr, I would be ecstatic, but that’s not happening. :P

Really, when all the d-men are back and healthy, the defence will look a lot better. It also has a lot to do with the pairings. I see Quinn making mistakes that MacTavish already went through. Gilbert and Grebeshkov really should never see the ice together ever, unless they somehow figure it out together. But put Gilbert with Smid or Grebeshkov with Visnovsky, and suddenly these guys are completely different players.

Right now this team’s biggest problem seems to be taking care of business in their own end, and I’m pretty sure that while Souray is out it will stay that way, unfortunately.

I think Lowetide sums it up best when describing what we need is “actual NHL players”. we have a lot of rookies and young players and not enough vets

lol thatta boy. We are missing some guys, Souray, Comrie, Staios, and stone. Do those guys really make that big a difference? I hope so.

Racki: Souray will be out till around christmas too if i’m not mistaken and we could really be in a hole by then.

Steve-O: I think Lowetide sums it up best when describing what we need is “actual NHL players”.we have a lot of rookies and young players and not enough vets

Now that I can agree with 100%.

yes, we really need some vets, but we have 3 of them out in Staios, Comrie and Souray. Comrie is close to coming back, not sure about Steve though.

Staios is pretty close, it would seem. It’ll actually be nice to have him in and Strudwick out, to be honest. I’m with Steve-O in that he should see MacIntyre minutes.

Staios traveled with the team, and Quinn said he was questionable. Maybe with the long break the Oilers will figure out whats wrong and fix it. Plus get Staios in and Strudwick out.

People will slam me for this, but we could use ryan smyth. He has been terrific this season. Was last year too.

My fear though is it will be Staios in, Chorney out and Strudwick still in.

Anyways, I’m off.. thanks for hanging out in the GDT, folks, even though it was another stinker ;)

Get some rest, Boston!

No it won’t. Chorney went in before Strudwick. When Souray went down Chorney went in. Staios went down a few games later and Struds went in.
    Visnovsky-Grebeskov
    Gilbert-Smid
    Staios-Chorney

getting better, but still not there

will do. Hopefully this team will be better next game. I’m starting to worry that we won’t have any playoffs in Edmonton for the 4th year in a row.

I think those pairings are pretty tolerable.
    And right now the Oilers are in a slump, but look what got them there. Injuries to Souray/Staios and Stone, sickness to Hemsky, Comrie, Visnovsky, Brule and others…

Really as much as people don’t like to hear excuses, it’s still a pretty good one. They’ll be fine once the defence gets settled down.

Anyways, officially gone now.. feeling pretty sick now, and not just from the game ;) Until next time..

Peckham is gone to the AHL, as per Tencer and the Oilers twitter.

Quinn on Witt’s two goals “He won’t get another goal for 800 more games.”

Racki: I think we have a good team, if we get out of this slump and start playing like we did earlier we will make it in.

41. Horpensky says:

I hope they get out of this slump soon, if we can return to the effort they had from the first few games I’d be happy win or lose.

If we keep turning the puck over and stop battling for the puck, I won’t be happy even if we win.

42. Mr.Majestyk says:

I was considering going to see the Oilers in Ottawa next week. With the efforts we’ve seen recently, I don’t think its worth my effort to go.

43. OilerTyler says:

How often does a team go a game without a powerplay? I can’t remember the last time it happened to the Oilers, but I am not sure if it is a common thing among other teams.