GDT – Oilers 1, Islanders 3, Nov 2, 2009 – Game 15

By , November 2, 2009 12:11 pm
GDT - Edmonton Oilers at New York Islanders

GDT - Edmonton Oilers at New York Islanders

The Edmonton Oilers head into Long Island an ugly mess, having been shut out 3 of the last 4 games (we’re all getting tired of hearing that) and allowing Detroit to walk away with 1 point in a game where the Oilers had a 5-1 lead. The Islanders, meanwhile, have been a hot team as of late, winning their last 3 games over a span of 4 days against their conferences top teams (Capitals (2), Sabres (3), Rangers (4)).

The Oilers struggles as of late, have been to find goal scoring, but I believe a lot of that has to do with inability to protect their own zone. You can’t score goals when you spend the majority of the game watching the opponent handle the puck in your zone. “We have to start thinking about the defensive side again and making sure we don’t give up much,” said Quinn. “We do it well sometimes. For half games. (In Boston) we started giving them the puck, turning it over, then the next thing you know, we’re in our zone, not theirs, and thinking about surviving rather than winning a hockey game. Our defencemen need help from the forwards. They need to be much more involved in the play without the puck than they have been.”

Tonight marks Roloson’s debut against his former team. Roloson spent most of last year being a nightmare for opposition shooters and has hopes of doing the same to his former club. Khabibulin should get the start for the Oilers.

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

21PP%21.3
80PK%82.4
25.2S/G30.4
33.7SA/G33.4
47.1FO%53.5

GAME NOTES

- Lubomir Visnovsky will return to action tonight, knocking Theo Peckham back out of the line up.
- Dwayne Roloson will make his play vs. his former team.
- Shawn Horcoff is the latest to be battling the flu, although it sounds like it won’t keep him out of the line-up.
- Mike Comrie will remain out of the line-up with the flu. Making matters worse for him, Comrie also has asthma issues. The two can be pretty dangerous combined so the Oilers won’t want to take any chances with him.
- Steve Tambellini’s son Jeff scored his first NHL hat trick on Saturday.
- Dan Tencer: Mike Comrie is going to take the pre-game warmup tonight in New York.

1ST PERIOD SUMMARY

11:02 – EDM – Moreau from Stortini, Cogliano
Moreau behind the net just trying to fire it out front some how banks it off an Islander’s skate and past Roloson
14:51 – NYI – Tavares from Moulson, Weight
Islanders win a battle behind the Oilers net on a dump in. Moulson passes it out front to Tavares in the slot who won’t make a mistake from that range, and doesn’t.

Other Highlights
- Came into this one a bit late as I was hesitant to order it.
- Looks like Visnovsky playing with Smid.
- O’Sullivan and Brule get a 2-on-1. O’Sullivan telegraphs pass all the way, but actually ends up shooting, but Roloson wasn’t buying it and played the angle perfectly.
- Right after the first Islanders goal, Khabibulin makes a great save on another Tavares/Moulson tandem attack.
- Hemsky is a dangle machine already, having had two great moves where he walked in all alone.
- Gilbert carries the puck to the neutral zone and puts his head down to go around one defender. He just barely catches Andy Sutton coming at him to level him and goes low as Sutton comes up high at him. This draws attention from Jacques who drops them with Sutton. Didn’t look like many punches landed here. Lots of jersey punches.
- Jacques gets the instigator, and the Islanders get the powerplay.

2ND PERIOD SUMMARY

2:32 – NYI – Witt from Nielsen
Witt just fires it on net through traffic from the side boards and it eludes Khabibulin and goes through his legs.
12:35 – NYI – Witt, from Weight, Tambellini
Khabibulin is getting bombarded from all angles, but a knuckler from the point from Witt is the one that gets by him.

Other Highlights
- Horcoff steps over the blue line and releases a quick wrister that rings off the post.
- Horcoff manages to knock the stick out of Roloson’s hands while in front of the net and for a brief moment the Oilers are scrambling around trying to take advantage. However they only get one half-shot on from a broken stick.
- The Oilers are still struggling in their own zone and the Islanders are walking around pretty freely.
- The whistle goes and Nielsen is still trying to strip the puck off Hemsky who’s playing a little game of keep-away.
- O’Sullivan hits Jackman hard as they both go in the corner, knocking him on his butt.
- Oilers were heavily outplayed for most of this period. They’re giving the Islanders too much respect in the Oilers zone.

3RD PERIOD SUMMARY

No scoring.

Other Highlights
- Roloson was way out of his crease and gets bowled over by Penner and draws a penalty as he flops on the ice (same old Roli!).
- Horcoff gets drilled by Sutton.
- Penner does another power-forward impersonation driving to the from the goal line and gets a nice shot on Roli.
- Horcoff limps off to the bench, and Thompson gives him a cheap shove as he’s stepping into the bench. Cogliano gives him a shot in the chest on the way by.
- Khabibulin getting shelled with shots again.
- Announcers point out that Sutton hit Hemsky 3 times in this shift near the end of the period.
- Gagner gets pushed into the net in the last half minute of the game. Gagner pushes back after the whistle and a nice scrum ensues.

POST-GAME RANT

Short rant for today. The Oilers were fairly outplayed again tonight. Same old story as the last few games (2/3s of Detroit game, excluded). The Oilers did start off well in the first period, but beyond that, they didn’t really put up an honest effort until the end of the game. The Tavares goal was a nice goal on his part, but the other two, I wouldn’t say Khabibulin looked too good on. But aside from that, he had another solid appearance and really kept the team in the game.

143 Responses to “GDT – Oilers 1, Islanders 3, Nov 2, 2009 – Game 15”

Ok, I’m frustrated with this team. They get an goals, have terrible shot totals and the defense is horrid. Bulin is terrible too. Really I wish that the Heatley deal went down and we kept Roli. We would have been better.

wow Penner………..I know kids 2 days old that can shot better.

He broke his stick on the shot.

And considering Penner alone has more points than Heatley right now and Smid has been fantastic defensively, I can’t be so confident about wanting that deal. You’re going through the same thing most Oil fans do when we don’t get a few wins in a row. Stay the course, man ;) The team is still suffering from keey players missing.

what ugly play is rod talking about?

5. Haboiler says:

Hi Gang, just getting in watched the first period out at a pub, and now the the site, which is actually showing a good feed. The boys are struggling pretty good.

Does the defense realize that you are supposed to stay on your feet??? YOU DONT FALL ON EVERY PLAY!!!! god we need souray, hell even staios

This last play alone is proof that it’s not Khabibulin’s fault. The guy is a wall in net but yes, this team does stink defensively right now, but what do you expect with our two top defensive d-men out?

Right now Khabibulin is being left to dry on most nights.

8. OilerTyler says:

Why are the refs afraid to give us a powerplay? It was the same way in Boston

Yikes… 3-1.

WTF????????????????????? Oh my god…………..its happening………..we suck………….

11. OilerTyler says:

Chorney and Grebeshkov have been on the ice for all three goals against

Taylor Hall time

oh and look Horcoff stops hemsky by running in to him like a idiot…..

B.O., stop being dramatic and a poor Oilers fan. It’s game 15. Yes the team has some obvious defensive issues, but if you’re talking about Taylor Hall at this point, you’re overreacting quite a bit.

i watched the last 5 games bro……its bad. Did you watch the Red Wings game? Awful 3rd period…well i’m off to the doctors. Swine has crushed me lately.

16. OilerTyler says:

A powerplay would be nice…

I’ve watched all the games this year. I’m dealing with the flu too. Sorry, just not looking for this to turn into the same negative, draining, hateful place that the OMB is… so keep it constructive here. Although I do agree that the Oilers aren’t playing well.. I think the Taylor Hall comment is a bit over the top ;)

Best bet with this flu is just to sit in bed and sleep man! That’s my advice anyways. :P

18. NorwegianOiler says:

I can’t help but question the defensive system – as the Oilers seem to collapse to their net in the d-zone to such a degree that our wingers never actually cover anybody, yet instead present screens for our goalie. When the opposition get the puck to their blueliners, they have acres of space in which to set up and fire away. I bet Quinn will question the backchecking, but I see it more as either a system or a hockey intelligence problem at this point. No?

i’m playing legend of zelda…sounds like i’m having more fun than you guys

Yah N.O., that was Quinn’s gameplan on the PK, and I guess that extends to even strength too and it doesn’t work at all. Like you said, in effect all it does is blind Khabibulin and give the opposing blue line all the time in the world. Quinn/Renney may need to re-visit that game plan soon.

eep, PP for the Islanders now.

Yeah Racki, I left the OMB, it went down hill way too quickly. We have played terrible since the Jackets game 2 weeks back. Flu or not thats no excuse for this team. There obviously needs to be move made to bring in scoring or defense, because this team will not make the playoffs playing like this, its that simple. Look at the Islanders, they are playing their game and winning. I don’t even know what we are playing but I really don’t like it. Something needs to be done with this team. I vote for a trade. Goodbye Horcoff.

Yeah, I slept all weekend, and only left my bed to shower and go to the Oilers/Bruins game lol

23. NorwegianOiler says:

Yeh, I was hoping for a more rounded defensive system, together with effort. Right now, flu or not, the decisions and TEAM positioning aren’t cutting it. We’ve conceded a concerning amount of deflection/weak point shot goals this season. I, unlike BostonOiler, don’t believe a lot of those goals have been Khabi’s fault (as such) but more of failure to check efficiently. There is simply no gap control at all, we’re too loose and allow the puck carrier far too much time. It seem like our opposition’s #1 scouting report on us is: keep pressuring the puck carrier – which often is what results in our many turnovers. The least we can do, while sorting out our breakouts, is apply the same pressure to our opponents.

24. Trogdor says:

I’m ready to celebrate! We’re not getting shutout. Other than that, I haven’t seen or heard any of the game tonight. Happy to see Richards and Carter rack up some good stats tonight.

B.O.: Yah I’ve been in the same boat with the flu since Friday, although I haven’t gone anywhere, including work. I am regrettingly going to go in tomorrow because I think missing 2 days is bad enough. I hope you eel better soon.

And you’re right, this team hasn’t been good. I thought the way they started the season though, they WERE a good team. I think most people were impressed. Right now they’re not playing that same game they were early on. But I think a lot of this has to do with defensive struggles. I don’t think Khabibulin is as bad as you say (in fact, I think he’s been great). But they definitely miss Souray and Staios and it would have been nice to have had someone here that could fill in. These guys like Strudwick, Peckham and even Chorney just can’t fill their skates. Chorney has been good, all things considered, but he’s not going to shut down a teams top players. Smid has filled in nicely though, and he’s been one of few positives.

As for Horcoff, I think we’re stuck with him for all eternity… who would take on that contract until maybe the last couple of years of it?

26. NorwegianOiler says:

I don’t think a trade in itself will do much. To improve the team needs to “play a smarter game”. And I DON’T mean “simplify their game”. Sometimes you actually need to think and NOT just ‘simplify’ ;)

The problem with over-emphasis on a certain part of the game (backchecking that ends up being a 5 man clog-fest around our net) is that it doesn’t provide the results and spreads insecurity in our team. Seems like the forwards don’t trust the d-men to be able to clear the crease properly, but then again the forwards end up in no-man’s land…

Now Racki, Strudwick has been pitiful just awful. He needs to go or be tossed in the minors. Peckham is not NHL ready, thats become very obvious. He needs to get more playing time in the AHL so that way his development won’t be screwed. As for Chorney he has been ok, but has also made his fair share of screwups, and has made a good amount of mistakes. He is young though and does have a bright future. Smid could be better, but I agree 100%, he has been good, and will get better which is a great thing. Grebeskov hasn’t stepped up which gets me mad, its almost like he was teasing us last year.

Well on the note of a trade, I partially agree, but I think this team has lacked one thing since the start of the season – a real shut down d-man. They need a big body presence in front of the net. I know he’s a rare breed, but Chara single handedly punished any Oiler that even looked at the crease in Saturday afternoon’s game. We need a guy like that. Someone who will clear the front of the net. Souray is the closest to that, and I’m not even sure that’s his expertise anymore. So I’d really like to see one of our supposed puck-moving d-men moved for a solid stay-at-home d-man (unless Staios can land us a guy like that, which I would be shocked if he did).

I do agree with what you’re saying though – the Oilers are giving teams too much respect in our zone. They’re also spending too much time cluttering the net and blocking Khabibulin’s vision. They’re also spending WAY too much time in their own zone, unable to get the puck out. Fix that, and they can fix the problems at the other end of the rink naturally just by having more time to play there.

B.O., I think Grebeshkov is really good when paired with Visnovksy (who isn’t??). Outside of that, he can be a bit of a question mark. Especially when paired with Gilbert (man what a horrible pairing they are). Strudwick.. oh definitely agree there, he’s been pretty awful. Chorney, yes.. I agree with you. He’s made his mistakes but is young and isn’t anyone I’m worried about. He’s looked even quite good at points.

30. DropIt says:

B.O.

Your missing Souray. Christ, that guy IS your defence, and a HUGE part of the offense. Youhate to watch the team lose, but its going to happen, its a slump… It happens.
    But there is 82 games… I honestly don’t think any team could question their defense when their missing their top shut down and top offensive players

And belive me, as a Flames fan, I wish you got Heatley too.

31. OilerTyler says:

No one will score for the first 10 minutes of this period, than the refs will finally give the Oilers a powerplay or two to try to get us back in the game, but it will be too late and we will lose 3-1.

OilerTyler: You’ve seen this episode before too, hey? :P

Btw, you kicked my ass in the pool last week, all things considered. There were some stats where you were way ahead of me in. And you wanted ME to take it easy on YOU? :P

33. NorwegianOiler says:

Who doesn’t need a 6’9″ one ton monster that can play 30 minutes per game? :P
    I find the tags “offensive/puck moving” d-man and “shut-down/stay-at-home d-man” to be too simplistic. I wouldn’t like to move Grebs/Gilbert/Lubo for anyone who will hem us in our zone due to not being able to move the puck. It’s not that our defensemen CAN’T hit, they WON’T (somehow). Then it’s about adjusting the attitude, but giving up a talent for someone whose more one-dimensional? I don’t like it. Of course it’s possible to discuss names, but as a principle I think it will end up as a “not enough puck movers” again. I believe you can get more assertiveness and aggression from the likes of Gilbert/Grebs, but you can’t get better passing from someone like a Staios (for example).

I believe firmly in the team defense principle, but that requires INTELLIGENT team defense, not just ‘being back there’ somewhere…

I think Hemsky will put one in, but it won’t be enough. 4-2 New York final

and they would call that on the oilers

36. NorwegianOiler says:

Man Roloson is a diver, not at ALL an interference. He was way out of his crease….

rod and morley are losing their shit right now

is it morley anymore?

N.O.: But isn’t a guy like Gilbert one-dimensional (sorry to pick on him specifically, but I think he’s the most one-dimensional of the names you dropped)? And if you’re leaking goals at one end because teams can walk all over you, I don’t see an issue with picking up a guy that can help at that end of the rink. I’m not talking about fixing issues like the Oilers used to in the past (wait for it to be a real issue and then sign/trade/draft 7 or 8 players that fill that role). I’m saying trade one puck mover for a defensive d-man. I know you don’t believe in those tags, and I’m obviously simplifying things a bit here. But I think if we had a healthy balance of guys who are known for their puck moving skills and a balance of big hard-hitters, this team would be a lot better off.

As for Chara, obviously I wasn’t suggesting we should go pick up a guy like him because he’s a rarity ;) So you know I wasn’t suggesting that players of his ilk are available in bulk.

I also don’t share the same optimism as you that a guy like Gilbert is suddenly going to start making players regret coming into the Oilers zone. It takes a certain mental attitude, and unless someone starts kicking puppies around him all day to get him angry I don’t see him changing his ways.

The position Defense in the NHL is still about protecting your own net first and foremost, moving the puck out is secondary. When guys like Gilbert and Grebeshkov and others get eaten alive in their own zone they need a bit of help from someone who can get it done.

We’ve got Visnovsky, Grebeshkov, Gilbert, and to a lesser extent Smid who all have skill at moving the puck. As far as guys who make it hard for players playing in our end.. can you name one? I can’t right now.

Steve-O: rod and morley are losing their shit right now

Stauffer not doing it anymore?

Racki, Smid is very physical and is that player for the Oilers. However they do need a better player at that.

THANK GOD someone nailed horcoff, maybe that knocked the suck outta him.

jesus christ another oilers penalty????

Renney sayss th Islanders are a playoff this year, and that he was in charge of tonights game plan. oh boy….

I don’t know, I like Smid as much as the next guy, and I think he’ll be that guy that will fill that role one day. But at this point he’s only 1 guy and can only do so much. I also don’t see him being a thorn in many players’ sides at this point either, yet.

45. NorwegianOiler says:

Souray, Smid certainly make things uncomfortable in the corners – though the concept of the ‘stay-at-home’ d-man is to me just a label that says this guy is probably a slower less skilled guy that has no offensive upside. Hal Gill comes to mind :P

If we’re talking a more rounded guy that still deals the pain (Smid-type) I’m certainly not against it. Then again, those guys aren’t for free. And I don’t think Gilbert will ever be a punishing d-man, but he doesn’t need to be, he just needs to be more firm with and without the puck – as do most our d-men.

Still no Oilers powerplays…unreal. We need to make a move to get a veteran dman.

Gagner is now with Hemsky and Penner.

N.O.: Stay-at-home is a gross oversimplification on my part. If there is a guy out there who can score like Paul Coffey and hit like Scott Stevens, I would like him on our team :P

But seriously though, if we could clone Smid, that would be the ultimate for me. Someone who is well rounded like that but with more of a defense-first mentality is what I would appreciate more than someone who occasionally jumps in on offensive rushes and accidentally steps in other player’s paths. :P

I hate to pick on him specifically, but Gilbert is a defenceman of the offensive extreme. His defensive ability is pretty limited. I’d like to see a guy who brings a better defensive game at the sacrifice of the offensive game, if need be. That’s all I’m getting at. Clearly having someone who can do both would be the ultimate, but since those types aren’t readily available for trade, I’d sacrifice a bit of the goal scoring for good ol’ fashioned defensive play.

B.O.: Horcoff might have been hurt on one play.

THe 3rd period has become a very big issue for this team. No 3rd period goals in ages, and we are getting out shot by a large margin. THis game is a lost cause,