GDT – Oilers 1, Islanders 3, Nov 2, 2009 – Game 15

By , November 2, 2009 12:11 pm
GDT - Edmonton Oilers at New York Islanders

GDT - Edmonton Oilers at New York Islanders

The Edmonton Oilers head into Long Island an ugly mess, having been shut out 3 of the last 4 games (we’re all getting tired of hearing that) and allowing Detroit to walk away with 1 point in a game where the Oilers had a 5-1 lead. The Islanders, meanwhile, have been a hot team as of late, winning their last 3 games over a span of 4 days against their conferences top teams (Capitals (2), Sabres (3), Rangers (4)).

The Oilers struggles as of late, have been to find goal scoring, but I believe a lot of that has to do with inability to protect their own zone. You can’t score goals when you spend the majority of the game watching the opponent handle the puck in your zone. “We have to start thinking about the defensive side again and making sure we don’t give up much,” said Quinn. “We do it well sometimes. For half games. (In Boston) we started giving them the puck, turning it over, then the next thing you know, we’re in our zone, not theirs, and thinking about surviving rather than winning a hockey game. Our defencemen need help from the forwards. They need to be much more involved in the play without the puck than they have been.”

Tonight marks Roloson’s debut against his former team. Roloson spent most of last year being a nightmare for opposition shooters and has hopes of doing the same to his former club. Khabibulin should get the start for the Oilers.

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

21PP%21.3
80PK%82.4
25.2S/G30.4
33.7SA/G33.4
47.1FO%53.5

GAME NOTES

- Lubomir Visnovsky will return to action tonight, knocking Theo Peckham back out of the line up.
– Dwayne Roloson will make his play vs. his former team.
– Shawn Horcoff is the latest to be battling the flu, although it sounds like it won’t keep him out of the line-up.
– Mike Comrie will remain out of the line-up with the flu. Making matters worse for him, Comrie also has asthma issues. The two can be pretty dangerous combined so the Oilers won’t want to take any chances with him.
– Steve Tambellini’s son Jeff scored his first NHL hat trick on Saturday.
– Dan Tencer: Mike Comrie is going to take the pre-game warmup tonight in New York.

1ST PERIOD SUMMARY

11:02 – EDM – Moreau from Stortini, Cogliano
Moreau behind the net just trying to fire it out front some how banks it off an Islander’s skate and past Roloson
14:51 – NYI – Tavares from Moulson, Weight
Islanders win a battle behind the Oilers net on a dump in. Moulson passes it out front to Tavares in the slot who won’t make a mistake from that range, and doesn’t.

Other Highlights
– Came into this one a bit late as I was hesitant to order it.
– Looks like Visnovsky playing with Smid.
– O’Sullivan and Brule get a 2-on-1. O’Sullivan telegraphs pass all the way, but actually ends up shooting, but Roloson wasn’t buying it and played the angle perfectly.
– Right after the first Islanders goal, Khabibulin makes a great save on another Tavares/Moulson tandem attack.
– Hemsky is a dangle machine already, having had two great moves where he walked in all alone.
– Gilbert carries the puck to the neutral zone and puts his head down to go around one defender. He just barely catches Andy Sutton coming at him to level him and goes low as Sutton comes up high at him. This draws attention from Jacques who drops them with Sutton. Didn’t look like many punches landed here. Lots of jersey punches.
– Jacques gets the instigator, and the Islanders get the powerplay.

2ND PERIOD SUMMARY

2:32 – NYI – Witt from Nielsen
Witt just fires it on net through traffic from the side boards and it eludes Khabibulin and goes through his legs.
12:35 – NYI – Witt, from Weight, Tambellini
Khabibulin is getting bombarded from all angles, but a knuckler from the point from Witt is the one that gets by him.

Other Highlights
– Horcoff steps over the blue line and releases a quick wrister that rings off the post.
– Horcoff manages to knock the stick out of Roloson’s hands while in front of the net and for a brief moment the Oilers are scrambling around trying to take advantage. However they only get one half-shot on from a broken stick.
– The Oilers are still struggling in their own zone and the Islanders are walking around pretty freely.
– The whistle goes and Nielsen is still trying to strip the puck off Hemsky who’s playing a little game of keep-away.
– O’Sullivan hits Jackman hard as they both go in the corner, knocking him on his butt.
– Oilers were heavily outplayed for most of this period. They’re giving the Islanders too much respect in the Oilers zone.

3RD PERIOD SUMMARY

No scoring.

Other Highlights
– Roloson was way out of his crease and gets bowled over by Penner and draws a penalty as he flops on the ice (same old Roli!).
– Horcoff gets drilled by Sutton.
– Penner does another power-forward impersonation driving to the from the goal line and gets a nice shot on Roli.
– Horcoff limps off to the bench, and Thompson gives him a cheap shove as he’s stepping into the bench. Cogliano gives him a shot in the chest on the way by.
– Khabibulin getting shelled with shots again.
– Announcers point out that Sutton hit Hemsky 3 times in this shift near the end of the period.
– Gagner gets pushed into the net in the last half minute of the game. Gagner pushes back after the whistle and a nice scrum ensues.

POST-GAME RANT

Short rant for today. The Oilers were fairly outplayed again tonight. Same old story as the last few games (2/3s of Detroit game, excluded). The Oilers did start off well in the first period, but beyond that, they didn’t really put up an honest effort until the end of the game. The Tavares goal was a nice goal on his part, but the other two, I wouldn’t say Khabibulin looked too good on. But aside from that, he had another solid appearance and really kept the team in the game.

143 Responses to “GDT – Oilers 1, Islanders 3, Nov 2, 2009 – Game 15”

1. Trogdor says:

If the Oilers learned anything during Rolo’s tenure with them, they should get as many pucks to the net as possible and look for rebounds.

Trogdor: Let the month of PPV events kick off. I don’t think I can convice the missus to order the game tonight considering the Oilers recent lack of success…

if you check out the first ppv comments, i put in instructions which should get you the game streamed

3. RyanB says:

I have a PPV credit from the game vs the Stars where I had no sound for half a period. If not I don’t think I’d be paying the money for this one.

I was thinking tonight might be a good night for Deslauriers to get a start. Khabibulin played 12 of 14 in October. Don’t know about anyone else but I was expecting to see Deslauriers a little more often, every four and sometimes five games. There are some back to backs coming up where he should get some work though.

4. Horpensky says:

Lets hope Roli doesn’t steal this game. He tends to win games on his own sometimes, but other times he lets in a lot of soft goals. Which Roli will it be?

I’d expect the Isles won’t be hanging Roli out to dry, they’ll be pushing for goals every minute of the game.

5. Trogdor says:

Steve-O:

Yeah, I’ve had a look at the feed before and it’s hard to watch a choppy low res game on the laptop versus HD on the big screen. Perhaps there will be a better feed tonight.

I guess you didn’t die over the weekend Racki, since you created the GDT, unless it was on timer. Thanks for quarantining yourself.

7. Trogdor says:

Just remote in and if anyone asks me if I’ve seen you I’ll tell them you’re in the john with violent diarrhea. I got your back buddy.

Racki: Honestly, I still feel like shit and glad I stayed home. But I’ve got to come to work soon, and I know I’ll still be contagious when I get there.. so honestly, I’d stay well away from me for a few days.

some of us don’t have that option due to cubie proximity

oh, and lets all watch schremp be -4 today, with 0 points…that is if he’s even dressed for todays game

and from the lineups posted doesn’t look like he’s playing…i wonder why they would scratch such an amazing hockey player?

Steve-O:
    some of us don’t have that option due to cubie proximity

Well I hear you bragging lots about how you never get the flu… maybe you have some sort of super immunity to it. I’m sure you’ll be fine.

Schremp isn’t playing because the Isles have been winning without him so they don’t want to mess with their lines! Should be interesting to see what happens with him in the next few days…waiver rumours are starting to fly on LI…

As for this game, I’m hoping for a good close game with no injuries for either team. My loyalties are with the Oil but I must say I have been enjoying watching the Isles lately, not just because of Roli, and thankfully he signed with an Eastern conference team so they don’t have to play each other a lot. Each goalie, Khabi and Roli, are new to their teams and to their fanbases, so I’m hoping for a goaltenders duel to keep them both rolling and to keep their fanbases confident in them!

I won’t be watching though, scored some free tickets to see David Copperfield tonight so I’m taking my kids. Might make it easier on my nerves that way! Hope it’s a good game and I’ll watch it afterwards!

12. NorwegianOiler says:

I’ll be greatly disappointed if we lose tonight! The Islanders winning streak doesn’t matter, we should win this kind of game on all but the strangest nights :P
    Better put a big screen on Roli all night long, frustrate him a bit. I hope O’Sullivan will catch a break soon…

13. Hockey Noob says:

Oilers at Islanders – I almost wish that this was the early ’80s.

14. NorwegianOiler says:

Wishing it was the 80s would be a no brainer? Better music, better Oilers. Ok, you take a hit on the clothes, the hair and the Russians, but still…;)

15. Hockey Noob says:

Hahah NorwegianOilers, good point!

Back then, the term nuclear deterrent used to have ominous implications. Now, the term itself has been ameliorated and is used in hockey frequently to describe players like Steve MacIntyre. lol

16. NorwegianOiler says:

But is there a MAD in place? ;)

Correction to the game time.. this one starts at 5:00PM.

Apologies to anyone who was fooled by my millionth GDT blunder. :P

Racki: Correction to the game time.. this one starts at 5:00PM.Apologies to anyone who was fooled by my millionth GDT blunder. :P

the flu excuse is popular right now

19. NorwegianOiler says:

Hehe, on top of things here. Night time brings out the best…

NorwegianOiler: Hehe, on top of things here. Night time brings out the best…I have to say congrats to you all for having developed this site so nicely. The graphics, the content, the people. Very nice! Good job!

Thanks N.O.!

And Steve-O, I believe this flu virus attacks the brain… or at least that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.

The Oilers won’t be getting 5 PPVs out of me this month. Going to have to be a bit choosy.

22. NorwegianOiler says:

So, being a month and a week away from going across to Edmonton (for the first time) I’m wondering, which E-town based Oil fans are interested in getting together for a beer (the singular ‘a’ being used loosely) in December? I’m thinking, without knowing much, that Hudson’s Taphouse could be a neat place for a beer enjoyer like myself?

well it looks as though the streams are not working…time for 630 ched and my imagination

N.O., I should be in for that.

I ordered the PPV against my better judgement (I’ll blame that on the flu too). And updated the defensive pairings to what they appear to be.

Moreau scoorrrress

Oh I bet Rod Philips went bananas on that Hemsky dangle..

Racki: Fluke goal.. Moreau from behind the net just trying to fire it out front banked it off a defender’s skate and in.

thats not how rod explained it

Yah Rod probably called it something along the lines of “What a blast from the point by Roman Hamrlik!”. He’s not all there, you know that.

Hemsky is a dangle machine and it’s only 15 minutes in.

Rod is definitely enjoying the fact that he knows who is in the other net

man, i’m already tired…im not sure i can make it through the game

Jesus Christ will this guy wake the hell up!!! THIS IS THE NEW YORK ISLANDERS WE SHOULD BE PONDING THEM!

oh man, i wish i could see this

jacques 2 mins for instigating a fight with Sutton. Booo.

I bet Rod went bananas on that fight too,but there wasn’t much there. Lots of “jersey punches”. That’s about it. A few big hands that missed.

Gilbert just barely saw the hit from Sutton coming at the last second and went down low while Sutton jumped up into it. Could have been a lot worse.

seems to be a stream available…but its something sopcast?

38. DropIt says:

Somebody please put rod phillips out of his misery. He is lucky he has that colour guy to save face…. Does he understand the instigator rule at all?

Steve-O: seems to be a stream available…but its something sopcast?

Don’t bother.. you have to download software, which I did.. tried viewing it, and said “channel unavailable”. Maybe it works now though.. but didn’t when I tried.

did you try both?

Only saw the one. So try for yourself.

i just don’t like downloading anything

Well at least 17 mins in penalties from JFJ for the pool for me.. wee. hah

Honestly, I agree with you on the downloading part, and was pretty hesitant. But those in the know say its virus/spyware free. Not that this is 100% trustworthy, but Norton found nothing.

Anyways, before I start sounding like a hypocrite about asking people not to mention PPV stuff here, I’ll just leave it at that ;) But hey, it’s not like we’re streaming it here.

KHABIBULIN SUCKS! TRADE HIM NOW!

2-1 Islanders.. not sure how that went in… just a sloppy shot from the boards but Khabi was screened.

no racki, he just sucks.

I want Roli back now!

Sim and Smid almost went at it.

Come on B.O.. Roli let in his share of bad goals. Khabibulin has been pretty good in the nets. Do you think in games where we’re shut out Roloson would have somehow won those?