Well I gots to run off to a meeting here super soon, and will be in meetings all day so I can’t add much to this post.
I am going to the game tonight…so I predict a victory for the Oil.
Now some Racki-stats:
Racki here…Just a couple more things to add to the pre-game rant. First off, the Kings are coming off a pair of losses – one versus the Flyers, the other a 5-2 loss Saturday afternoon to the Flames. They’ve had a few days to mull that one over. The Oilers, meanwhile, have won 2 of the last 3 games, including a big 4-0 win on PPV vs. the Coyotes on Monday (albeit not their best 60-min performance), and a 6-4 win over the Avalanche previous to a 5-2 romping by the Blackhawks.
Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)
Penner — Gagner — Hemsky
Jacques — Brule — Horcoff
Moreau — Potulny — Cogliano
Reddox — O’Sullivan — Stortini
Souray – Staios
Visnovsky – Smid
Gilbert – Strudwick
Los Angeles Kings Projected Line-Up (subject to change)
Purcell – Kopitar – Williams
Frolov – Loktionov – Brown
Parse – Handzus – Simmonds
Ivanins – Richardson – Segal
Jones – Johnson
O’Donnell – Doughty
Drewiske – Greene
- Stone had an extended practice today, however he still doesn’t feel healthy yet and won’t be back until sometime next week at the earliest.
- Nilsson may be ready for Friday
- Pouliot is about 2 weeks away, at the current pace… but do we need him in the lineup anymore?
- Kopitar’s success this year can heavily be attributed to the play of Ryan Smyth, however he is out of the lineup.
1ST PERIOD SUMMARY
17:37 – EDM – Potulny from Souray, Moreau
Off the faceoff win, Souray hammers it from the point and it’s deflected in front by Potulny past Quick
- Big hit in the offensive zone early on by Potulny
- Kopitar robbed twice in a row by Deslauriers who was out to cut down the angle
- Richardson tries to enter the Oilers zone and is greated by a Souray stiff-arm, and crumples to the ice
- Kopitar again robbed by Deslauriers on a blast from the faceoff circle. Deslauriers whipped out the glove, Fuhr style
- Smid pinches in low, picks up the puck, wheels behind the net and gets a good shot on goal
- Souray gets his 6th point in 6 games since returning from injury
- Not much excitement this period in the offensive zone, so it is nice to leave this period with a 1-0 lead
2ND PERIOD SUMMARY
6:38 – LAK – Simmonds from Jones, Parse
Simmonds just flips a harmless looking shot on net from above the top of the circle and it somehow eludes Deslauriers short side under his glove.
- Jacques throwing his weight around in the Oilers zone, and O’Donnell decides to drop ‘em with Jacques. Not too many big punches landed in this one, arms were tied up pretty good. A couple shots here and there, but nothing major. Jacques leaves the ice after the fight but is back on the ice later in the period.
- Deslauriers looking a little shakey after that first bad goal
- Hemsky drilled hard from behind into the boards by Handzus.. reminiscent of Regehr’s dirty hit. Luckily, he’s back out on the ice for the powerplay. UPDATE: Scratch that, looks like he’s still missing in action. UPDATE2: It’s official… out with an “upper body injury”.
- Handzus mistakingly pokes the beehive near the end of the period and gets roughed up by the entire Oilers line on the ice at the time. Looks like it won’t be a fun 3rd for him.
3RD PERIOD SUMMARY
15:32 – LAK – Greene from Simmonds, O’Donnell
Greene gets the puck at the point and wires a slapper top shelf on Deslauriers’ blocker side.
19:40 – LAK – Frolov (EN) from Brown, Johnson
Frolov easily out hustles our defense which is pinched in to a puck dumped into the Oil zone.
- O’Sullivan wheels behind the net and tries to wrap it around and throw it out front for the tip, but it slides past everyone out the other side.
- Jacques dishes it off in the neutral zone just before Greene flies in to hit him, however Greene gets the worst of it as Jacques sees him just in time.
- Gagner picks up the puck on the fly in the slot, dekes out Quick and fires a backhand over the net on a spectacular chance in close. Best chance for the Oilers so far this period.
- Oilers powerplay tonight has been poor at best and the trend continues.
- Jacques yet again throws a huge hit, this time sending Frolov to the ice.
- Loktionov left the ice in considerable pain, leaving his gloves behind. The miracle of PVR tells me that it was some contact from Potulny as they battled for position. Looked innocent though, so not sure what happened. Looks to be a separated shoulder possibly.
- Gilbert carries the puck into the Kings zone and launches a wrister that doesn’t make it on net. Gagner gets the rebound and gets a good shot off as well but couldn’t score.
- Souray throws a decent open ice hit on Williams.
- Jacques again throwing his weight around, this time on O’Donnell in the Kings zone on a dump in. The Oilers are looking to be fairly physical now that they’re behind.
- Deslauriers ROBS Handzus on an excellent chance from the slot. Great save.
- Net pulled now with a min left.
- Gagner gets another chance in close, but his stick was lifted at the right time.