GDT – Oilers 4, Coyotes 0 – Nov 23, 2009 @ 7:00PM – PPV – Game 24

By , November 23, 2009 9:30 am
I wanted to use the Jets logo, but Racki thought that would be lazy

I wanted to use the Jets logo, but Racki thought that would be lazy

We got our asses kicked on Saturday. But just think, its not so bad. The Blackhawks are going to win the cup this year so at least we lost to a really good team.

I spent the weekend split between one of two states (drunk or hungover) so they had better win and make my head feel better. But its PPV so I won’t be ordering this one, and I’m not sure my brain can handle Mr. Phillips right now.

The oilers need a win, and pronto, or the season is going to reach the point where there is no coming back (of course they will win a bunch at the end and make it look close). Khabibulin is out for his yearly injury break, the coaching staff isn’t pleased with our best player (who is on a career year to date), a group of our veterans had a fantastic meeting with the coaching staff letting them know that they should pull their heads out of their asses (I’m guessing) and …oh crap, I just realized I have a hockey game tonight so I won’t be watching this one.

Oh darn.

Now time for Racki Stats:

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Penner — Gagner — Hemsky
Jacques — Horcoff — Brule
Reddox — O’Sullivan — Stortini
Moreau — Potulny — Cogliano

Souray – Staios
Visnovsky – Smid
Gilbert – Strudwick

Deslauriers
Doobie

Phoenix Coyotes Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Upshall – Lomardi – Doan

21.6 PP% 22.3
82.2 PK% 78
28.9 S/G 27
26.9 SA/G 32.4
51.9 FO% 45.8

GAME NOTES

– Sounds like Nilsson, Stone and Khabibulin are all close to being back in the lineup.
– Lines have been updated with some more changes. Of note, Gagner on the top line and Stortini and Potulny swap lines.

1ST PERIOD SUMMARY

7:59 – EDM – Moreau from Potulny, Visnovsky
Vintage Moreau here.. he gets a pass from Potulny off the boards and with speed he blows past the D in alone and makes a nice shot to beat Bryzgalov. About time we saw some of the old Moreau.
11:07 – EDM – Souray, unassisted
Souray rushes the puck into the Coyotes zone and throws it out front to the net. Bryzgalov kicks it out a few feet to his left and Lombardi one times it into the net in an attempt to clear. Maybe we should have signed him after drafting him?
11:14 – EDM – Hemsky from Penner
Penner wins the draw at center. Hemsky gives and goes with Penner in the high slot. Hemsky gets the puck, carries it in and dekes around Bryzgalov. Those goals happened so quick that I couldn’t even type an update fast enough. Coyotes panic and call a time out. This is goal number 100 for Hemsky.

Other Highlights
– Horcoff prevents a sure goal with some great back checking, poking the puck away from a Coyote staring at an empty cage.
– Stortini and Bisonette go at it. Stortini lands several of jersey punches and connects with a shot that pops Bisonette’s helmet off. However he pulls a Moreau and loses his balance.
– 7 minutes in, and it looks like the Oilers are off to a bad start. The Coyotes have owned most of the play.
– Penner is again taking the draws for the top line, in pace of Gagner.
– Dan Tencer had a spot in which he talks about the Hemsky – Renney talk at practice. Tencer talks about Datsyuk and Zetterberg, how they are never the first guys off and often the last guys off, and how seeing that as a 4th liner would be motivating. Doesn’t really indulge us as to what Renney said, but hints that it was jus a comment how he’s uncommitted to practice and needs to set a better example for others. No arguing that.
– They just showed a prototype of what the new arena could look like. Looks like a clam shell.
– TSN turning point is Moreau’s goal… before that, the Oilers were looking bad. I expect the Coyotes will come out flying in the second.
– Deslauriers makes some spectacular saves with 2 minutes left as the Coyotes try to rally to end the period.
– Penner almost makes it 4-0 on a pass from Gagner but Bryzgalov gets just enough of it, going post to post.
– Doan lays out Potulny with a big hit in the Coyotes zone. He is playing with a bit of edge after losing his bucket in a scuffle with Souray in an earlier play.

2ND PERIOD SUMMARY

19:59 – EDM – Horcoff from Souray, Visnovsky
With nearly no time on the clock, Souray blasts a shot from the point with Horcoff redirects into the net just as the buzzer sounds. To me, it sounded like it didn’t beat the buzzer, but it goes to review and stands.

Other Highlights
– Nice shot block by Strudwick on the Coyotes’ first powerplay.
– Crazy hand-eye coordination by Yandle… an Oiler dumps the puck out of the zone fairly hard and Yandle dives across the ice with one hand on his stick knocking it down. Nothing happened on it, but just an odd play worth noting.
– Strudwick doing a good job on this first powerplay for the Coyotes clearing the puck again for the 2nd or 3rd time.
– Hemsky…. so close. Waltzes through everyone on the team and gets in alone on Bryzgalov… but was slashed at the end and couldn’t shoot. That was a one on 3 and he comes out on top and even draws the penalty.
– JDD gets caught outside his net on the far post and a Doan tries to come around behind the net to wrap it around the other post into the open net, however O’Sullivan gets back just in time to save a goal.
– Hemsky is having a HELL of a night. On this shift alone he’s dominated the Coyotes zone, dancing in on net all alone twice now but was in too close to get a good shot off. Announcers point out the great chemistry being show with him and Penner tonight. The Coyotes earn another penalty trying to contain Penner and Hemsky.
– Hemsky draws another penalty blowing around Vandermeer, but Vandermeer sticks the leg out. 5-on-3 time.
– Penner still taking all the draws when he is out.
– The short 5-on-3 has some good movement, but no real clear shots.
– On the 5-on-4, Souray makes a great play to keep the puck in but the ref blows it down offside drawing evil eyes from 16,000+ referees.
– Renney on Hemsky’s performance tonight: “Playing great. He takes ownership for his own performance and his team. He’s a pro guy as is everybody else.” When asked about “the talk” and the good conversation they had today, he said “We all want the same thing, bottom line. And any good coach deals with something right there and its over with. And you make sure that he knows you’re in his corner and you support him, and we all do.” He sounded very sincere in his comments that Hemsky received the message fine and there were no more concerns from either side.
– Jacques hammers Vandermeer in the Coyotes zone.. fans love it.. great hit. Vandermeer was carrying the puck behind his net and turned around to go the other way and was greeted by Jacques. These two may go later.
– Jacques says his back is completely fine and he’s not worried about it nor does he want to focus on it (aka “Stop asking, reporters”)
– “After the whistle toughness” Smid throws Bisonette around a bit as he was in too tight on Deslauriers and in the blue paint.
– O’Sullivan takes a senseless penalty after the whistle, hooking some Coyote up high in the chest which rides up into the throat area. He throws his arms up after the call as though it was a dive. Not a very smart play.
– Oilers get a powerplay. O’Sullivan gets a cross-crease pass and almost puts it away but Vandermeer gets in his face and gets enough of the shot to deflect it out of trouble. O’Sully shows his frustration here looking to the sky.
– With a second left, Souray blasts a shot from the point that Horcoff tips into the net just as the buzzer goes. They go upstairs on this one…. annnnd… it’s… A GOAL!
– Rob Brown defending Horcoff in the intermission talking about just how much he does. “Take away the contract and there isn’t a guy who does more for this team…. coming back from the injury he’s starting to play better and become the Shawn Horcoff everyone was used to the last few years. He’s playing his best hockey he has all year round.” (not an exact quote)

3RD PERIOD SUMMARY

No Scoring

Other Highlights
– I’m pretty sure Deslauriers just stopped one with his head.
– Deslauriers gets a bit more luck as Mueller rings one off the post and Pyatt fires the rebound wide.
– Again some more luck as Deslauriers makes a save but it squeaks through and lies in the blue paint. Moreau chips it out in time.
– Bisonette looks to have intentionally bowled Deslauriers over in the crease. Replay proves me correct. He gets a lovetap from someone, gains extra momentum somehow, then skates into Deslauriers knocking him over.
– Deslauriers has been kicking out juicy rebounds all night.. credit to the forwards/defense for beating the Coyotes to the pucks though.
– Notice I’m saying Deslauriers a lot this period? That’s because he’s getting bombarded this period. Not even half way through and he’s faced 14 shots this period. Good thing we have a comfortable lead.
– Kelly Buchberger interview… mentioned something that comes as a bit of a surprise of the make up of the lines. He says they wanted two scoring lines, a checking line (the surprise for me, because I didn’t think this was a Quinn thing) and what sounded like Buchy said was a “filler” line. Filler line.. as in you fill it with the rest of the scrubs on the team? Or filler line because you fill your pants any time they’re on the ice?
– Ryan Potulny just ripped a one-timer off the bar on a pass from Moreau during a great rush by the Oilers.
– Yandle just ducked under a huge hit from Jacques. Someone up there likes him.
– Hmm, looks like O’Sullivan has been benched… seeing Brule centering Reddox and Stortini in his place.
– And Deslauriers does it! First career shut out, and it’s a 36 save shut out.
– 3 stars: 1st: Deslauriers, 2nd: Hemsky, 3rd: Horcoff
– Deslauriers is currently having a marathon interview with Principe. In the background you can see Lowe and Katz looking on. Katz looks like an Oompa Loompa next to Lowe. Katz chats it up with Deslauriers after the interview… I presume he was sending his congratulations, which is a pretty cool thing for an owner to do.

POST-GAME RANT

This game was a little misleading at points. 4-0 win, you’d think the Oilers dominated this game, but truth be told, they played very well for about half the game, and Phoenix played very well the other half. One thing to note though is this team was MUCH better in their support on Deslauriers. To credit, Deslauriers made some great saves, but he also had some big problems with rebound control all night. Luckily for him, it seemed that his team was always in the right place at the right time all night.

Horcoff had a pretty good game tonight as did Hemsky. Hemsky dominated the Coyotes for about 2 periods. Their defense had a lot of difficulty trying to contain him and Penner. Jacques also had another very physical game and helped set the tone. One thing you could notice was the size difference between him and Stortini and the Coyotes players. Strudwick and Moreau also looked pretty good out there. Moreau showed a bit more jump and may be finding his legs again, finally.

Overall this was a pretty good response by the Oilers to the meeting with the coaches. I don’t think the score quite tells the story though. They definitely played well enough for the win, but probably not a 4-0 win. At any rate, it’s nice to see a PPV where the Oilers don’t stink the joint up! Next up: Kings, Wednesday @ 7:30 at home.

91 Responses to “GDT – Oilers 4, Coyotes 0 – Nov 23, 2009 @ 7:00PM – PPV – Game 24”

Also, here is an interesting read.

that’s an awesome coyote. you really are the ms paint master.

Racki: I should have let you do the Blackhawks one.. that one’s got to be a lot of work

I am very bored, thought I’d give it a whirl, and yes it was hard, and it sucks. lol

Holy shit, did you cheat? Did you trace that sucker… if not, that’s amazing.. Steve-O, you’re fired. Pack your shit and get out. Gr8one… in. You start tomorrow.

I need a job.

7. NorwegianOiler says:

gr8one: lol, no…I did not trace, but it certainly took longer than I should be spending on such things.I need a job.

And it should be making NHL logoes in ms paint!

Lines have been updated.

And seriously, that logo is insane. Done with MS Paint? Mouse? or pen?

Racki: Lines have been updated.And seriously, that logo is insane. Done with MS Paint? Mouse? or pen?

lol, thanks!

actually just used my laptop touchpad.

and, I hate those lines.

talk about under-utilizing Cogs, I’m so tired of always seeing him on one of the bottom two lines, with his skill set and speed he should be put into situations where he can excel, but it always feels to me that he’s just not given to opportunity to really show what he’s got offensively.

Well I’m happy Cogs at least got a linemate upgrade in Potulny (although maybe I would have bounced Moreau out of there instead of Stortini if the wings/sides are interchangeable enough).

But I have no problems with the lines other than Cogliano getting wasted, as usual.

I’m not a fan of how O’sully is being utilized either, he seemed like he was finally starting to come of of being snakebit, so set him up for more success than Storts and Reddox.

Cogliano Brule O’Sullivan

sounds kind of tantalizing, no?

small, but feisty, fast, and crazy skilled…and wouldn’t be going against the oppositions top pairings.

Although, I still maintain that my gut instinct tells me that Brule in between Penner and Hemsky has the potential for some magic.

12. Trogdor says:

gr8one:

lol, thanks!

actually just used my laptop touchpad.

Touchpad? That makes it even more impressive.

I still want to be at Rexall one day when they start up the Doobie change. I doubt he’ll get in tonight, but who knows.

Anyone shelling out for yet another PPV? I’ve got other plans tonight so won’t be watching. Saves me a little money.

site is acting up again (kicks site)

What server are you hosted at? At first I thought it was what I was doing because it took so long for the page to load up but then I realized it shouldn’t have taken that long. Not that I’m downloading anything or something like that.

And you kinda wonder what Cogs did to deserve that kind of time. I like how you wrote Doobie (I heard it at a pre-season game last year haha) and I love Gagner on the top line. Hopefully they show lots of positive chemistry tonight.

Inmotion Hosting. They’ve been fairly good though, for the most part. But it’s shared hosting.. so if some other asshat is getting mega-traffic, it can slow it down for everyone on that server. Apparently though, we’re one of the asshats, as last week I got an e-mail saying they had to switch us onto another server temporarily because of the traffic we’re getting (which isn’t even that bad!)… this was why we lost a few messages, for anyone wondering. Anyways, all seems fine now *knock on wood*

So Latendresse traded today. I had thoughts that the Oilers should have traded for him, a while back, but i didn’t think Montreal would trade him.. least of all so easily. Argh.

Oh wow, yeah I can’t see this site having more than 400 unique hits a day. Not yet anyways. On a side note though, really enjoying this Blog so far, great job to you guys! Love the cleanliness of it all (no ads and solid layout). Most of all though, the daily/bi-daily posting which keeps the site fairly active. At the moment I’m not really too sure if forums would be a bonus or not. Good job though, good job.

And I’ve heard his name here and there but not really familiar at all with Latendresse. Just looked him up and wow cheap/young guy with a big body.

Montreal fans had huge expectations for him. But I guess he didn’t quite work out there. They may have been a little impatient with him though.. who knows. But if all it took was Benoit Pouliot to land him.. I’d take the chance on another big body.

And thanks for the comments on the site! Yes, on the average day, we get like 200-300 uniques (lots of lurkers, a few regulars, and some crazy Russians that sign up and do nothing or try and post spam… wtf?). We had a few record days like one day we hit 6500 uniques because of an ESPN blogger linking to something on here. I kind of wonder if they singled this site out because of that, thinking it would be commonplace.

At any rate, they said they’d contact me later if things didn’t “improve”. I’ll tell them.. if you’re site can’t handle 300 uniques a month on a business plan, then sorry I’m off to find a new host (again). I really like these guys though.

I feel like a jersey should have been retired tonight.. Coyotes + PPV and no retirement or Gretzky? Boooooo

Yeah, Latendresse would have been worth a look for sure.

on the subject of not living up to expectations though, it looks like the Islanders have making Schremp a healthy scratch lately.

nice near shot on goal, Souray (unfortunately our own goal)

The Oilers are off to a poor start

WOOOOOO nice goal Moreau!!! (that was a vintage Moreau goal)

Anyone else watching this? So far a couple of good spots.. interview with Kevin Smith, and small Tencer spot about Renney/Hemsky talk at practice.

Jacques scores! 2-0 Oil.. maybe a coyote put it in

Holy shit, Hemsky now.. 3-0 Oil

How’s the top Pen Gags, Hemmer line looking Racki?

I wish I was but I can’t find an internet feed anywhere. :(

damn PPV.

I am extra glad to see that you did not bench Bryzgalov like you said you were going to, thanks!!! :p

LOL damn what a bad move that’s turned out to be.. so far.

Racki: They just showed a prototype of what the new arena could look like. Looks like a clam shell.

I think I saw that in a picture online somewhere, is it the silvery/metallic looking one?

Oh man, Penner almost made it 4-0.

gr8one:

Yup thats the one.

wow, Rolie had a 58 save/OT win tonight.

he’s too old to be peppered like that!

Racki: Jesus. Atta be Roli. That’s crazy. How did Toronto manage to get that many shots? Thats up there with that one game Thibault was in where Boston bombarded him.

yeah, geezus is right…I just looked at the boxscore, and Toronto out-shot NYI 61-21 and LOST!

Thats seriously got to hurt.. talk about demoralizing. Do you take solace in the fact that you left it all on the table? Or do you lament the fact that your best SUCKS. hah

Sorry I’m late, been keeping track on-line and woohoo x 3!! Congrats to Hemmer on his 100th NHL goal!

And now for your intermission report – Just finished watching the Isles beat the Leafs 4-3 in OT. Get ready for this – the Leafs out-shot the Isles 61 to 21. They had 116 shot attempts compared to 56 for the Isles. It was like a permanent power play. Roli made a career high 58 saves – as Rod Phillips would say he “stood on his ear”.

Edit – I see gr8one beat me to it!! Sorry I couldn’t turn the game off, it was too intense.

lol, if you look a post above yours, you’ll see that is the topic of the hour.. or minute.. between gr8one and I already. :lol:

Crazy.

Staios is one tough bastard. He got ridden pretty hard into the Oilers’ zone boards behind JDD and kind of was crumpled down when he was hit. Looked like his skate went in awkwardly. I still have a bit of fear that he got hurt on it and is just manning up. But he still played some shift after despite hobbling a bit at first.

Garbage call against Staios for hooking.

oH man.. Hemsky…. so close. Waltzes through everyone on the team and gets in alone on Bryzgalov… but was slashed at the end and couldn’t shoot. That was a one on 3 and he comes out on top.

O’Sully just saved a goal, big time. Wrap around by Doan denied..

Hemsky is having a HELL of a night.

Hemsky again draws another penalty.. he’s a demon out there, and the Coyotes defense are having a tough time containing him.

Breakout game from Hemsky? I was expecting this to happen after the report of the Renney/Hemsky disagreement at practice.
    Renney needs to keep pissing him off then.

In the pre-game stuff they pointed out that Hemsky is really good vs. the Coyotes. So who knows if that’s why, but I’m sure the chat with Renney helped!

Renney interview, asked about Hemsky.. will post tidbits in the intermission

DAMN IT!!! Horcoff tipped a shot into the net just as the buzzer sounded. I don’t think it was a goal… going to review.

Hmmm…. on the replay the horn came after the goal from what I can hear, although live it didn’t sound that way.

GOAL!!! 4-0 Oilers.

49. Haboiler says:

Sounds like a good game by the Oil so far, should have broke down and convinced the wife to get it…