GDT – Oilers 4, Sharks 5 (SO) – Nov 27, 2009 @ 7:30PM – SNET – Game 26

By , November 27, 2009 9:41 am
GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. San Jose Sharks

GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. San Jose Sharks

Well here it is folks, the moment we’ve been waiting for – Heatley’s first game in Edmonton since he nixed the trade. The Oilers are coming off a poor showing versus the Kings on Wednesday – a 3-1 loss on home ice. The Sharks are also coming off a loss, having been hammered 7-2 by the Chicago Blackhawks in Marian Hossa’s 2009/10 season debut.

Since the failed trade, Dustin Penner has shown great success this season with a surprising 26 points in 25 games. Ladislav Smid has also been fantastic this year, having grown into a very reliable two-way defenseman. Andrew Cogliano has struggled a bit this season, but he also hasn’t been given much of a chance, spending most of the season in the bottom six. Meanwhile, Dany Heatley has 33 points in 26 games, with Joe Thornton serving up fat pucks on a platter for him on the top line. Whether the Oilers are better off without Heatley remains to be seen, but so far I’d say I’m pretty happy that deal never happened.

So two teams coming off horrible losses.. who bounces back? The way the Oilers have playing, my guess would be the sharks. But I’m hoping that the trade-bait players (Heatley excluded) want to prove that the trade should not have been made to begin with. Is that going to be enough for the Oil, sans-Hemsky?

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Penner Gagner Brule
Jacques Horcoff O’Sullivan
Moreau Potulny Cogliano
McDonald O’marra Stortini

Smid-Visnovsky
Souray-Staios
Strudwick-Gilbert

Deslauriers
Doobie

San Jose Sharks Projected Line-Up (subject to change)

Heatley-Thornton-Marleau

25 PP% 21.2
85.3 PK% 79.6
30.5 S/G 26.7
30.5 SA/G 32.7
56.4 FO% 46.8

GAME NOTES

- no Hemsky today… he is out indefinitely with an “upper body injury”. He had an MRI yesterday, but the Oilers haven’t received the results yet.
- UPDATE ON HEMSKY: As per Robin Brownlee: “I’m hearing that Ales Hemsky will need surgery and is likely done for the rest of the season. No official word from the Oilers yet.” VIA Tencer: Word starting to circulate that Hemsky needs shoulder surgery and could be done for the season… VIA Tencer again: Quinn says no information on Hemsky yet. Says he’s not aware of any surgery talk. There is no confirmation on that, but the rumblings are making the rounds. Will let you know what Quinn says.
- UPDATE AGAIN: It’s official now, per the Oilers official twitter.. Hemsky is having surgery and therefore is done on the year. Disappointing..
- Nilsson, Pouliot and Stone all skated Thursday. Apparently Nilsson was one of the last players to leave the ice and put some extra effort in. I’m still not sold on him at all though, but I’ll keep an open mind.
- Lines were robbed from HFBoards and are very likely to change.

1ST PERIOD SUMMARY

5:23 – SJS – Marleau from Thornton, Heatley
Thornton no look passes from behind the net to Marleau in the slot and he puts it through Deslauriers legs.
Other Highlights
- Heatley’s first shift… “BOOOOOOOO”. It’s going to be a long night, Dany.
- Jacques nails Clowe from behind in the open ice just a second after the refs whistle blows, and Fraser McLaren takes exception. Big mistake, as Jacques lands some big shots early. McLaren gets the final shot in and lands on top of Jacques in the end. I’ll try not to get too entirely aggrevated that McLaren defended a tough teammate who was love-tapped and our team watches Hemsky scrape his dead ass off the ice for fear of a penalty.
- Oilers leading in the physicality department so far, throwing their weight around.
- So they just said Heatley called Horcoff to find out what it’s like to be an Oiler.. who thinks Horcoff said “it’s a good city… when we’re winning and when you’re scoring… when you’re not scoring, they hate you no matter how well you did before”. It would be the truth.
- Horcoff line does a great job maintaining puck possession in the Sharks zone in the last minute of the period.
- Potulny smokes 2 players in a row in the Sharks zone and a scrum ensues immediately afterwards as Ortmeyer takes exception. 4-on-4 play after the dust settles.
- Tambellini interview leads me to believe that no trades will be made.. at least yet. As usual, they will take a “wait and see” approach.

2ND PERIOD SUMMARY

11:03 – EDM – Potulny, unassisted
Potulny steals the puck at the Oilers blue line and speeds into the Sharks zone alone with Jumbo Joe trying to catch him. He fakes a slapshot, and dekes out Nabokov, stuffing it five-hole. Beauty goal.
Other Highlights
- Staios and Heatley battle for a puck in the Oilers zone. Staios shoves him to the ice, drawing cheers from the crowd.
- Moreau makes a nifty play going in on a a rush with Cogliano to flip the puck out o reach of the defenseman trying to poke the puck off his stick. He gets a shot off on goal but it goes wide.
- Stortini throwing his weight around this period, hits two different players in his first shift of the period.
- Ortmeyer gets a great chance on Deslauriers, but JDD spreads the legs out, Gumby style, completely covering the bottom of the net and makes a great stop.
- O’Marra and McDonald each throw a nice hit on separate Sharks players on a shift mid-way through the period, right after Potulny’s goal.
- San Jose PK is quite good this year (3rd), except on the road (20th). The Oilers are making the Sharks feel at home on the powerplay tonight, however.
- On a partially blocked Visnovsky shot, O’Sullivan gets the “pass” and makes a great shot on goal through traffic, but Nabokov manages to stop it.

3RD PERIOD SUMMARY

2:07 – EDM – Penner from Brule
Gagner chips it behind the net. Penner picks it up there, beating Nichol and passes it to the front of the net where Brule is waiting to jam it home.
4:09 – EDM – Brule from Penner, Gagner
Brule intercepts the stretch pass, carries it in, dekes out a defender at the blue line and gets a shot off on goal. The rebound comes straight out to Penner, who just has to bang it in.
5:55 – SJS – Marleau from Thornton, Demers
Demers passes it down low to Thornton, behind the net and he just threads it through to Marleau, in front of the net and he makes no mistake.
8:28 – SJS – Clowe from Marleau, Vlasic
The rebound off a point shot comes out front to Clowe who spins and puts it behind JDD.
14:57 – EDM – Potulny from Smid, Moreau
Moreau collects his dump in and wheels behind the net. He passes it to the side boards to Smid who tries to pass it to Cogliano but it gets deflected and comes to Potulny who buries it.
18:34 – SJS – SH – Marleau from Thornton
Thornton wins the draw, Marleau gets the puck in front of the net to JDD’s left. He dekes around Deslauriers fairly easily and puts it in for the hat trick.

Other Highlights
- The Oilers show some jam this period. The Poltuny line looked good early on, but quickly after that, the Brule/Penner combination hooks up for two quick goals to give the Oil a 3-1 lead. Is there anyone Penner doesn’t have chemistry with?
- Shortly after the Oilers 2nd goal of the period, the Sharks’ top line pressures the Oilers hard in their zone, leading to a Sharks goal.
- Jacques destroys Thornton.. hitting him just as he’s turning to look behind him, and rattles Thornton’s face off the turnbuckle on the Oilers’ bench.
- Jacques again nails Jumbo Joe, this time on the boards at the Sharks blue line, putting him on his ass.
- Again Brule and Penner show more chemsitry.. this time Brule sets up Penner with a pass. from the top of the circle. The shot is saved by Nabokov but he can’t hold it, and Brule chips the rebound over the glass.
- On their next shift, again the top line applies a lot of pressure on the Sharks, generating a couple of good chances.
- Horcoff, Potulny, O’Sullivan and Souray work a good cycle in the Sharks zone, hemming them in and generating a couple of good chances.
- Jacques runs over Huskins from behind in the Sharks zone behind the net.
- The Sharks get a penalty late in the third. On the first shift, they do a great job winning the draw. Boyle skates up ice with it, dekes out Souray and gets a great shot on goal. Deslauriers saves it and hangs on. The next shift, they score.

OVERTIME SUMMARY

No scoring.

Other Highlights
- With 2.5 minutes left, Souray decides it’s a good time to shave Thornton’s cheek with a high-stick.
- Staios battles in the zone on the PK, and he gets hooked down, drawing the penalty.
- On 3-on-3 action, Cogliano gets a great chance, showing his wheels, blowing into the Sharks zone, but he’s partially covered and can’t beat Nabokov
- In the dying seconds, Pavelski tries to set up Heatley for the one time blast.. ohhh no, it’s Andrew Cogliano making a last second dive to prevent the shot.

SHOOTOUT SUMMARY

- O’Sullivan – Gets in close and Nabby throws the poke check but misses… O’Sullivan brings it forehand but fires it wide.
- Marleau – Marleau comes from ride wide and tries to shoot it to the left side of the net, high glove, but misses.
- Gagner – He shoots from the hash marks and hits Nabokov in the chest.
- Pavelski – He comes wide left, shoots from the hash marks and beats Deslauriers, low-mid glove side.
- Penner – He tries to go forehand backhand, but Nabokov gloves it in, whipping out the trapper.

POST-GAME RANT

Well, this was a much closer game than I ever would have thought, brought on my great performances by Brule, Potulny and Penner. Brule and Penner had some great chemistry together, each getting a goal. Potulny had two goals, and his line was jumping tonight. They generated several chances. Jacques also had his typical very physical game. He laid out Thornton twice tonight and also dropped Huskins with a big hit in the Sharks zone. Deslauriers made some hard saves look easy and some easy saves (turning into goals) look difficult.

All in all, this was a surprising game. The Oil showed some resiliency tonight, recovering from 1-0 to get a 3-1 lead, then losing that lead, then regaining it… it was a rollercoaster ride, but the Oil were in it all the way. The only sour note for me was the last 2 minutes of regulation. The Oilers got the powerplay and were overly aggressive, leading to an odd man rush for the Sharks. Deslauriers was forced to hang on for the whistle, and the Sharks tied the game on the next shift. Not good hockey there.

At any rate, very, very impressive performances by youngsters Brule and Potulny. Strudwick called it in the first intermission saying he thinks Potulny would be a guy to step his game up, and he did. That’s one thing to be excited about… that kid has good hands.

Next game, tomorrow night.. 8:00PM on CBC at Vancouver.

185 Responses to “GDT – Oilers 4, Sharks 5 (SO) – Nov 27, 2009 @ 7:30PM – SNET – Game 26”

Interesting how this isn’t an instigator..

Great fight by Jacques by the way. But I’m not sure how we get instigator penalties defending teammates, but that one isn’t… the reffing is so inconsistent in this league.

Well it absolutely sucks about Hemsky but at least we know. None of this speculating and wondering as to when he’ll be back like we do with every other injury. The fans will be able to put to rest the debate of whether this team plays better with or without Hemmer. We’ll see what other players bring with more responsibility. We might actually see a pissed off Oiler team on the ice which is a good thing. We will also find out what management’s philosophy really is with respect to the team they ice.

Smid going up against Heatley tonight, keep an eye on that one. Oilers are playing good…..WTF???

Great coverage there…

6. DropIt says:

Sorry Racki. But we musty have seen a different play. The whistle blew for a SJ penalty and then Jacques hammered that guy from behind long after the whistle. Stupid, stupid play

7. DropIt says:

I belive that was the instigator penalty, Jacques hit

DropIt: Yes, he hit another player.. but I’m arguing about the instigator rule. We get called on it, and our players are a bunch of pansies for fear of it. They know that if they defend another player (which is what McLaren was doing) they’ll get called for an instigator.

JFJ hits Clowe… McLaren drops the gloves… on some nights, that would draw an instigator, and that’s what I mean.. officiating is very random. I would rather that is NOT an instigator ever. But it’s just funny.. (and I’m still pissed about it)… Hemsky gets knocked out for the season on a dirty hit, but no one jumped to his defense because that’s an instigator. JFJ love taps Clowe, McLaren jumps in.. no instigator.

DropIt: It was a real dumb play by JFJ. Sharks on a PP. Its a matter of time till its 2-0.

Good PK, thank god they killed it off.

11. DropIt says:

I know whaty you mean Racki, I misread the first time. Jacques should have known better, but that could have been a penalty pretty easily. I know everyone is pissed off at the Hemsky incident, and I definately agree. At what point does the extra 2 mins actually matter? Your guy gets run and you fuck him up. I’m especially shocked seeing as who you have as a coach. The same guy who said his team should have smacked Iggy in the head with a stick.

12. DropIt says:

Also, Edmonton loses tonight, only because its pretty apparent that they are more focused on trying to knock every Shark player out rather than play with the flow of the game

lol, yah, exactly. And really, I’m just venting about that hit still. I honestly wouldn’t think McLaren should get an instigator.. if anything, I’m more pissed off that our team sat around and watched for fear of a possible extra penalty in a tie game. It IS more than a 2 minute penalty though (it’s also a game misconduct and possible suspension if not you tally more than one). But still, I personally think it’s worth it. I can say one time Trogdor and I were playing shinny hockey and he nailed a 10 year old into the boards from behind, and I almost dropped the gloves with Trogdor!

So they just said Heatley called Horcoff to find out what it’s like to be an Oiler.. who thinks Horcoff said “it’s a good city… when we’re winning and when you’re scoring… when you’re not scoring, they hate you no matter how well you did before”. It would be the truth. :P

15. DropIt says:

There is your make up call… Demers had excellent position, 2 hands on his stick and got a holding penalty?

16. DropIt says:

Good for Trogdor! Nobody wins a position battle when I’m on the ice!
    Lol

17. DropIt says:

Really? He called Horcoff? You would think Shawn would have said something along the lines of “dude, seriously, come here. You have a half decent season and they pay you rediculous amounts of cash. I mean look at my effing contract”

Nice hits by Potsi

19. OilerTyler says:

Potulny throws a clean hit, gets jumped, and is somehow in the penalty box?

Trogdor also laid some dude out in no-contact Intramural hockey when we went to NAIT. He’s a good guy to have on your team, but sometimes he writes cheques his body can’t cash!

Tambellini interview translation: We’re not making any trades.. get used to watching these guys.

23. OilerTyler says:

Racki: Tyler: every time I see a player on another team jump to one of his teammates’ defense, waiving any fear of the instigator… chances are I’ll bring up that play where everyone on the ice watched Hemsky get drilled and didn’t react.

I was in row 5 for that (I got a buddy with a rich uncle), right in the corner where Hemsky was hit. It looked like a suspendable hit to me, but I haven’t bothered watching a replay other than the ones they showed at the game.

24. OilerTyler says:

And now to make me feel better, the guy from Regina that I know (The one that thinks the Oilers can’t get 50 points) is rubbing in the fact that the Roughriders are in the Grey Cup game this weekend.

26. DropIt says:

You should let him know the riders are about to lose rhat grey cup game by 40 points

a “wait and see” approach eh?

wtf, the last four fucking years aren’t long enough?

bah, we’re going to be leafs west at this rate.

Bostonoiler: Racki I think you are wrong. If they can’t pick up the play, there will be moves. I think we should wait and see fro a little bit. What do we have to lose?

I actually do think that’s what he was saying and actually posted that up above in the 1st period summary. I was being sarcastic ;) Although I don’t really think that highly of our management crew anymore and I’m not so optimistic that they’ll do anything by January, but I think that’s what Tambellini was implying – “we’ll wait and see for now, and decide based on how well these guys do”.

gr8one: a “wait and see” approach eh?wtf, the last four fucking years aren’t long enough?bah, we’re going to be leafs west at this rate.

I honestly was thinking that earlier today.. the Leafs try hard every season to make their team a winner and fail miserably every season.. I pray we don’t fall into the same traps.

30. OilerTyler says:

So Racki, how are Penner and Keith working out for you tonight? =P

Bryzgalov is shutting out Dallas after two periods

31. DropIt says:

So IF edmonton tries to bring in a big name, who do they trade? Some of the only guys on the team with good enough Value to change this team is Visnovsky and Penner. Possibly Souray to an extent and now their 1st rounder(which given the circumstances, isn’t going anywhere)

Oilers couldn’t be seeing those big contracts end soon enough

nice job by JDD there not letting that wraparound attempt happen.

I must say I’m impressed the play has been pretty even so far. Good to see the players not playing like they are in mourning like the rest of Oil Country.

34. DropIt says:

35. OilerTyler says:

DropIt: Not too happy with that Tyler, especially after my attempt to pick up Hiller was on waivers until tommorow….

I dropped Hiller because Giguere has been amazing for the last 3 games, and Anaheim is on a 3 game winning streak. Giguere shut out Chicago today. Hiller won’t be getting many starts anymore, plus he was really hurting me with his bad play

OilerTyler: So Racki, how are Penner and Keith working out for you tonight?=PBryzgalov is shutting out Dallas after two periods

About the same as Kotalik is working for you :P But it’s just one game. And you just jinxed Bryz! Shutttoutttt… not anymore.

WOW great goal Potulny!!!!

38. OilerTyler says:

Huge huge goal

I am loving Potulny

wow, nice goal potsi.

Wow, what a goal! Who ended up getting cosy with Nabby in the net afterwards?

41. DropIt says:

Good job by Potulny. Weak backcheck by Thornton. 1 attempt and gives up

DropIt: Yah Jumbo Joe isn’t exactly world renowned for his foot speed. He tried to sit on Potulny, didn’t work.. Potulny was gone, despite looking a little gassed even.

43. OilerTyler says:

Hey DropIt, how do you feel about the non-goal call in the Flames game today? I thought it was an absolutely brutal call, and not just because I am an Oilers fan.

44. OilerTyler says:

Does Flames filter to Flamers here?

It looks like it does

I’m getting the sense Heatley wants to do something that says “fuck you boobirds”.

and Bryzgalov just lost his SO bid Tyler. :p

Tyler: Perhaps…. ;)

48. OilerTyler says:

gr8one: and Bryzgalov just lost his SO bid Tyler. :p

Dang, I guess I did jinx it

2 goals against Bryzy so far… jinnxxxx

50. DropIt says:

Tyler: Actually, if you look in the rule book. Kipprusoff was unable to move throughout the crease due to the Wings’ player(Maltby?) interfering his movement. It can nbe reviewed and called back. It happened to Glencross twice in less then a minute last year.