Theo Peckham Recalled, New Top Line and More

By , October 23, 2009 6:03 pm
No cheeseburger for you!

No cheeseburger for you!

LINE-UP CHANGES

Looks like Mike Comrie will be out for Saturday (flu). Jason Strudwick will likely move to the bruiser line, in place of Moreau, who took over Comrie’s spot on line 2. Theo Peckham has been called up from Springfield, so he will take Strudwick’s spot on the blue line. It’ll be interesting to see who he plays with though. Will Quinn put a rookie pairing of Peckham/Chorney together? Or will he split up Gilbert and Grebeshkov? I wouldn’t mind seeing those two split up for a bit to test the waters a bit with pairings. I’d like to see Smid and Visnovsky stay together though, as they’ve made a pretty solid pairing at both ends of the rink.

NEW TOP LINE?

This gem courtesy of Low On Oil (check the blog roll for the link)

This gem courtesy of Low On Oil (click picture for the link)

It feels pretty good. It feels.. well.. I guess in a way, if you’ve seen the movie Old School when it comes off the gymnastics and he says “I blacked out, what happened?”. It’s kind of what it feels like.
- Dustin Penner on his surprising start to the season.

Well, it’s been the talk of the news and blog world all day today, the performance of the top line last night. Will these guys stick together? Or is this a temporary thing until more bodies are back or until Horcoff works out of his funk? I personally love the line, and wouldn’t mind seeing it stick, however it doesn’t seem to be a part of Quinn’s game plan to stick all his top offensive “eggs” in one basket. That top line certainly exploited Columbus all night. But I have to wonder too if we’ll have enough firepower beyond that line if we’ve all three of those guys on one line.

WHAT TO DO WITH HORCOFF?

And what about Horcoff? This is a touchy subject. I haven’t been reading much around the forums and blogs and such today, but I would imagine fan love for him (or lack of love) has dwindled even more now, with Gagner having such a good night last night. I must admit, it’s getting harder and harder to be behind him when he’s on such a downward slide offensively. Yes, he wins lots and lots of draws and is great defensively… but really, as much as that horse has been beaten to death, that doesn’t get you a $5.5M contract. Does it, Betts / Malhotra? I don’t want to harp on to too much though because Horcoff is a class act and hard worker, and because that contract isn’t going ANYWHERE.

So really, because he’ll be on this team (or likely will) for the remainder of his contract, I think the best idea is to figure out where he would best benefit this team. And well, one good game for Gagner is likely to early to say he is the best bet for top line center (especially since he started the season in the dog house), but have we seen enough Horcoff on the top line to say he isn’t the best bet there? I’ll leave that up to you folks in the comments.

REASON FOR PENNER’S TURNAROUND (added @ 7:50PM MST)

Penner credits a lot of his career turnaround to Pat Quinn and Tom Renney’s “open communication”. He says he feels that when he makes a mistake, Quinn and Renney aren’t going to bring it up repeatedly, because “they know (he) made a mistake”. It’s obvious that the clean slate has been very beneficial for his career. There’s a great article on NHL.com about all of this. I won’t go on too much about it, but you can read it here:
NHL.com article on Dustin Penner and his rejuvinated career.

27 Responses to “Theo Peckham Recalled, New Top Line and More”

The only way I can see Horcoff justifying his “bloated” contract to fans and management alike, is if he starts putting up numbers like he did in 05-06, however I can’t really see that happening. Buying out his contract or putting him on waivers is out of the question so like you mentioned we’re pretty much “stuck” with him. Maybe he can break out like Penner did though right….?

And I’m glad to see Peckham get called up, I can bet you money we’ll see some fireworks from him tomorrow night!

2. Hockey Noob says:

Hey Racki,

Yeah, I almost hated to say it last night, but to me Horcoff (especially playing with Comrie) is starting to remind me of Moreau on the rush. Of course, that’s not a good thing at all. Right now, Horcoff’s on pace for what like an 18 point season?

As for winning the draws, the last few games I think he’s been off his usual winning percentage. I am not sure what’s going on with Horcoff, but we definitely need to see more from him going forward.

3. Adam Dyck says:

Any contract can be traded.

Zack: Yah I don’t see that happening either. But, the way I see it, the team better try and get the most out of him that they can. I’m not one that believe he has to be on the top line because of the salary he makes. If he can provide solid secondary scoring from another line, I’ll be happy. I’m hoping that he clicks with O’Sullivan and Comrie. Last night was a failure for that trio, but it could be because of Comrie having the flu.

And Peckham.. oh hell yah, I’m hoping he beats up on one of the Flames tomorrow night. That guy can throw ‘em.

Noob: Maybe the pressure is getting to him. One thing I will say though is he still seems to be pretty dang good on the PK, from what I’ve seen, at least.

Just added a great article (above in the original post) on NHL.com about Penner’s career turning back around.

6. DropIt says:

Any contract “Can” be traded… But this is professional sports…. GMs are not stupid, nobody is taking Horcoff’s contract without getting 2 of Edmonton’s 1st rounders in compensation. Hate to say it, but Edmonton is stuck with Horcoff until that contract ends…. But its only 9 games in, so its too early to get excited or dissapointed over any player.

On a seprate note, I was trying to discuss tomorrow’s game, and all I got was JFJ licking Iggy…

Do we think somebody will try to justify Souray’s injury? Or will that be left alone?
    Personally I think it will be left alone, at least for tomorrow’s game… Edmonton shouldn’t be getting Iggy worked up when he’s playing in the dome… Especially at the risk of going down 3-0 n the series… But then when you look at the lineup its begging for a chippy game… Magratton and Macintyre in the lineup because of injuries/sickness… This may get violent

The more chippy the better in my opinion, you know as long as one of the star players don’t get hurt I’m up for anything really (that goes for both teams actually). I love the fast pace of the “New NHL” but I’ve noticed that the aggressive/fighting aspect of the game is making its way back nicely. There may not be bench brawls or rarely even a line brawl for that matter but a few big hits and a fight or two will get a fan going pretty good too.

And I don’t really think anyone will fight Iggy in trying to justify Souray’s injury. If anything maybe Chopper will go for a rematch but I think Edmonton will be a lot more focused on getting points up on the board rather than getting revenge.

8. DropIt says:

Agreed, I would imagine its just going to be rough and chippy… Plus we know Iggy would put Moreau in the ground again :P

But seeing as how this game for the 0ilers is pretty imparative for their season series, I just don’t see the game getting out of hand, not yet at least.

On a side note, where did Moreau get the nickname “chopper”? I’m wondering how he ended up with the same one as an ex flame.

You know, on the whole Moreau thing, I know you’re kidding, but Moreau slipped while throwing a punch. Credit to Iggy for letting him back up, but nice how he still fed him shots when the ref tied him up.

I would love to see round 2. Moreau has horrible balance (he literally falls down in half of his fights.. youtube it), but he can throw pretty well when he manages to stay standing. I’d sooner see Souray back in the lineup handling the business himself, if he felt the need to.

I think that whole Iggy thing on Souray was a stupid move on Iggy’s part, but not intentional. So I don’t really see any need for retribution. They need to go out there and play physical and find a new reason to be pissed off at each other.. as if there needs to be an excuse. :P

As far as the nickname, Moreau mentioned it came from Denis Savard when he played in Chicago.. apparently he was pretty handy with the stickwork. Maybe they should re-name him to Doctor Hook now, a bit more appropriate. :P

10. DropIt says:

Ya, I was just kidding about the fight… And we have all seen ounches thrown when maybe they shouldn’t have been… Iggy on Moreau, but also look at Gagner throwing when Conroy slipped and was unable to protect himself… It happens when it shouldn’t.
    Personally I would love to see a rematch of those two, mainly because 1) I may be a homer, but I think Iggy would win, and 2) regardless of the outcome, Iggy gets pissed and he dominates games.

However, Iggy v Souray I would not like to see… Mainly because I think Souray would clean Iggys clock… That guys throws, and throws to hurt.

Also I didn’t realize Denis Savard had the same nickname… I know Al MacInnis did, and always wondered how they ended up with the same one

Oh yah for sure, it does happen when it shouldn’t, and I agree.. wasn’t a fan of Gagner throwing at Conroy when he went down either. It’s all heat of the moment stuff, and plus you don’t always know when to stop, right away sometimes too. It’s not necessarily going to dawn on Iggy right away that while his arms are free, Moreau’s aren’t.

As for Savard, no I meant Savard gave Moreau the nickname. Moreau started his career in Chicago. And well, quite frankly, he’s a lazy guy at times and uses his stick on people way too much. So I guess Savard took notice of his slashing people and thus he got the name Chopper.

And I think Moreau vs. Iginla would be pretty even. I’d give the edge to Iggy there too though. And yah, Souray’s one of those guys you don’t want to mess with. He’s knocked a few guys on their asses (some without the wrist guard :P). It’s too bad Barch pulled a Moreau in his fight vs. Souray earlier this month. lol Would have loved to have seen that one.

12. DropIt says:

Oh, I didn’t know he was given the nickname… That’s pretty cool coming from a player like Savard.

And ya, Iggy would likely hold himself quite a bit better than Barch did vs Souray, but a win from Iggy would be a shock to me. I’m not sure we have a “ouray-level” fighter… I mean as I see it, Prust v Stortini. Magratton v Macintyre. And i guess Moreau v Iggy.
    Souray seems to be in between an Iggy and Magratton… I don’t see who throws evenly with him… Sarich maybe?

Hmm, don’t know much about Sarich’s fighting. However, he’s on Souray’s knock out list. lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK6q8rLbW0o (in fairness though, we know Souray has knocked some guys out with a bit more than his fist ;) ) I don’t know… Souray is in that range where you know he wouldn’t get killed against some of the leagues toughest (but not going to beat them either) but a pretty tough cookie. Maybe that “light heavyweight” fighter. Kind of like Jason Smith back in the day – a guy you don’t want to make angry, but he’s not going to be your regular fighter.

14. DropIt says:

Well Sarich is out lol. my best thought is Prust just standing in as he did Macintyre… Don’t dare throw big and open up, just tie up his hands and rabbit punch

15. DropIt says:

To be honest, for the past yeart, I’ve always been drawn to a Lucic v Souray fight… big throwers same weight class.

Yah actually my thoughts were probably Prust would be a good match for Souray. Lots of respect for him when he stood up to MacIntyre, even if he received most of the punches. And yah, Lucic is a good example, probably, of his weight class. Not going to fight the leagues best, but is not someone to piss off (except he needs to tone down the post-fight celebrations :P)

17. DropIt says:

Lol. Maybe a little. So on an awesome note, Calgary has already won the BOA weekend tonight… Looking for the clean sweep tomorrow :)

18. Hockey Noob says:

Hey,

Anyone notice that Calgary/Edmonton both lead the league in shooting percentage?

Racki, good explanation of the Chopper story.

I don’t watch CFL much, but I remember earlier this season the Esks got off to a promising start, and they’ve obviously gone downhill since then. Hopefully the Oilers don’t follow suit :P

Tomorrow should be a great game though. I’m looking forward to it.. both teams are flying high right now. Lots of big bodies in the lineup too. What more can you ask for?

20. Horpensky says:

oh noes JFJ is sick too? so the lines are…??

Penner-Gagner-Hemsky
    Moreau-Horcoff-O’Sullivan
    Nilsson-Brule-Cogs
    Strudwick-Stortini-Mac

You can bet tons of attention will be paid to that top line after an offensive outburst like that.

21. DropIt says:

Ya, that first line looks dangerous.
    Tomorrow may be the type of game I wish Jbouw and Reggie were paired up.

I’ll be glued to the TV tonight, for us, It would be huge to see Calgary take 3 of 3 this early in the season… But I think Edm is going to put up another big fight

Horpensky: Oh man, JFJ now?? I didn’t hear that. He’s kind of a must (in my opinion) in any BOA, but at least Peckham is in tomorrow. I’m thinking he’ll be wanting to prove his value to Quinn tomorrow.

So Brule is back though?

Brule and Comrie didn’t make the trip. The Journal said Comrie may join the team today if he’s feeling better. Nothing more about Brule and he’s missed 2 games so far. JFJ has the sore throat but they didn’t say if he’s out or not.

Good luck Oilers! And congrats to gr8one who is tying the knot today! Poor planning though, missing BOA…

24. Mr.Majestyk says:

We played well enough to win both of the earlier games, and now we have a third crack at it. I hope that each time we play the Flames we’re taking them apart bit by bit. Just in the sense that we’re an improving hockey team, and we can measure ourselves by beating them. Wouldn’t it be nice if we had another close game tonight, win it in a shootout and by the final meeting of the year, there’s just no contest and we’ve completed our quest on dominating the Flames by laying a massive beatdown on them? One can only hope, but if they decide to win in regulation tonight, I’d be fine with it too.

25. NorwegianOiler says:

The least Edmonton can do in this game is ice the most infected player and have him skate by the Calgary bench coughing all game. So even if we lose, so does Calgary in time :P Wicked!

Have any other teams caught the flu in any significant way?

Just working on the GDT thread now, folks

N.O.: I believe the Blue Jackets were infected with the Flu as well too, and I think the Canadiens may have too, before the Oilers had got it. And lol at your suggestion, btw.

And congrats to Gr8one! Good memory, LNOF.

New Oilers at Flames GDT up!