Khabi-boo-boo-lin

By , October 5, 2009 9:15 am

“My teammates were very supportive. It was great to hear. Nobody wants to have anything like that happen in the last minute of your first game,. The way it happens is not a very nice way to begin with a new team. I think it is the sign of a good team the way they supported me after the game and again this morning.

It was on all those TV places because everybody cares about hockey here. In Canada every good play becomes a great play. And every mistake is magnified. I wouldn’t say it’s any easier but experience helps when something like this happens. Sometimes bad things happen. If something like that happens to you, obviously you’d like it to happen earlier in the game. I didn’t have another shot after that. Mistakes happen for everybody. The next game after is important. Experience teaches you that good things can follow.”

- Nikolai Khabibulin on misplaying the puck and costing the Oilers a goal

24 Responses to “Khabi-boo-boo-lin”

I like that the team supported him after the game. It was a big mistake, but he took ownership of it and obviously took it pretty hard. This is the same city that crucified Steve Smith (who was actually a very good defensive defenceman) and Ty Conklin (and/or M.A. Bergeron). It would be nice to hear fans say “yes, it was a mistake, but we know you’ll get it back” like his teammates likely did.

Don’t judge the wall on one bad play ;)

I honestly don’t think it’s a big deal at all, pretty much every goal is due to a mistake, or series of mistakes, this one was just so glaringly obvious, and at a really shitty time, but whatever, it’s one game, maybe it’ll help the team rally.

my only concern is that is has that Tommy Salo effect in how Salo was never the same after letting in that long goal in the Olympics, but even still, it’s not a big concern, I think with Khabi’s experience/age and demeanor he won’t be susceptible to that, not to mention, it’s not like he lost us the Stanley cup or an Olympic medal.

however, if we end up missing the playoff’s by one point, I say we hunt him down and burn him at the stake. (jk)

Yah, I think he can bounce back easily.. it’s game one.. people will forget about this in 10 years anyways… but remember it for every day up to that point, however!

Thank god it was just a regular season game.

4. Horpensky says:

Most of the fans have already forgiven him by the next morning. Initially it was a WTF moment for everyone, but we all know freak things happen, and it was only the first game so nobody is making a huge deal. If it was a game down the stretch and we’re fighting for a spot, everyone would be running him out of town about now. I’m glad to see all the support he’s getting from teammates and fans alike.

Apparently you have never read HF Boards. I’m not so sure the Oilers Message Board is any better. But hey, those places both always have some real winners there, mind you… so can’t say I’m surprised.

6. DropIt says:

Wow, did Rod Phillips lay into Khabibulin after that mistake.

7. Horpensky says:

Well there will always be some whiners, but it has been relatively civilized on the OMB… I mean near the end of last season after every loss, there would have been 5 reactionary threads about firing MacT and how we suck. If Khabby did that near the end of the season when we’re fighting for a spot, I can guarantee the admins will need some anti-suicide pills to keep that place in check. ;)

Was it really civilized on the OMB? I didn’t check there until late yesterday and I just assumed everything got deleted! Seriously, I figured there would be a dozen ranting threads started outside the GDT because of that.

I saw you in a debate on HF boards Racki, I think I figured out your handle there.

Let’s see how he responds. It did nothing to instill any confidence in me as I’ve never thought he’s a huge upgrade in goal anyway. I still feel it’s a lateral move at best. But I’ll give him ample opportunity to prove himself to me. I was impressed that he faced the media like he did and I’m glad the team has supported him. I would be very disappointed if they didn’t.

I still find it amusing though how many people go on about not having to worry about early and late goals anymore now that we have the huge upgrade of ‘The Wall’ and that’s exactly what happened last night. Sorry but it’s kind of ironic, don’t you think?

Yah, I’m alexo on that forum, and I’m sure you figured that out ;) I got pretty frustrated with the one guy there.

10. OilerTyler says:

I lurk HF sometimes, my cousin is a moderator there. I am sure some of you are familiar with “-Ryan-”

I don’t post though

I don’t really know anyone there save for a couple of people who are recognizable for bad reasons or who I recognize form OMB. I recently saw Ryan close a thread down (for good reason), that’s about all I know of the guy. lol

12. OilerTyler says:

Yah the guy is a douche. I’d rather deal with the Kool-aid drinker types all the time than someone like him who is constantly negative.

OilerTyler: Yeah, i hate that DashingSilverFox guy on HF.He says he isn’t a Canucks fan, but all of his posts are him talking about how great Vancouver is.

Actually I just noticed your cousin gave me a warning for flaming DSF. I guess calling someone a troll is a no-no there. I don’t hold any hard feelings though, he’s just doing his “job” (your cousin, that is).

15. OilerTyler says:

Hahaha, thats funny.

OilerTyler: Yeah, i hate that DashingSilverFox guy on HF. He says he isn’t a Canucks fan, but all of his posts are him talking about how great Vancouver is.

He’s a real idiot and definitely a Nucker. I restarted an account over there. I’m Seedling.

OilerTyler: Hahaha, thats funny.I am pretty sure my cousin used to lead the OMB in posts, maybe some of the older posters would know him

Yeah, Ryan was/is a great poster.
    Yah

Racki: Yah, I’m alexo on that forum, and I’m sure you figured that out I got pretty frustrated with the one guy there. And I do agree that he likely was a lateral move, aside from the slight drop in age. Tambellini should have gone after someone younger. Signing someone that age was a bit boneheaded, especially considering the cost. I’d rather go with “the devil I know” for another year in Roli and then see what’s still available in next year’s free agent pool (which is quite deep for goaltenders, as Chucker once pointed out). But I think Khabi will work out fine. I’m not at all upset at the decision to sign him, I’m just upset at the salary/term. Not smart. Hard for Khabi to live up to that.

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=21449430&postcount=134 Group support from Chucker aka Seedling to Racki aka Alexo.

19. Mr.Majestyk says:

I’d like to show my support for Khabi this season since he seems to be one of the guys getting the most flack. I know your busy Racki, but do you think you could handle a sig for me?

Also, a question. How do I get an avatar on here?

Mr.Majestyk: I’d like to show my support for Khabi this season since he seems to be one of the guys getting the most flack.I know your busy Racki, but do you think you could handle a sig for me?Also, a question.How do I get an avatar on here?

Also, a question. How do I get an avatar on here?

It’s pretty unintuitive. I should do up a faq on it. It’s just the way WordPress and some other blog softwares out there handle it though. The good thing with it though at least, is if you make an avatar for this site, it will also work for several other sites.

WordPress uses “Gravatar” to link your avatar to you. You sign up on gravatar and give it an e-mail address in which you want to link your avatar. So when you go to various websites and log in with that e-mail or an account with that e-mail associated with it, it will attach the avatar in.

http://www.gravatar.com is where you need to sign up and add the avatar.

Oh, and yes I’ll do a sig for you when I get a chance.

chucker:
    http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=21449430&postcount=134Group support from Chucker aka Seedling to Racki aka Alexo.

haha, thanks for the backup.

Actually I don’t mind DSF, I think he’s just an Oiler fan with high standards. If you were sitting in a bar with him watching a game he’d be cheering the goals just as much. I think he is just an older guy who loves a debate and he leaves his comments rather open ended as a result. The same people (like Ole Jase) constantly respond to him and dissect his posts just like he dissects theirs and I think half the time they forget the original point to the conversation just because they want to prove each other wrong. And I think if either of them stopped posting they would miss each other.

Not that posting one game’s stats is relevant but I’ve seen lots of posters do that against other goalies and not get challenged on it. He did that in response to someone saying Khabi had a good, decent game and others saying he had a pretty good game, and really it appears Khabi would agree that he didn’t and fully admits he’s not comfortable yet.

I would take DSF over someone like Narnia (HF) = Prince Caspian (old OMB) = Smyth2Hemsky (new OMB) who always posts the exact same thing: Everyone bashes the Oilers, why does everyone bash the Oilers, the NHL hates the Oilers, the media hates the Oilers, the human rake ruined my life, waa waa waa…

22. OilerTyler says:

Ah i remember Prince Caspian, i haven’t noticed Smyth2Hemsky guy much though.

OilerTyler: Ah i remember Prince Caspian, i haven’t noticed Smyth2Hemsky guy much though.That “HemskyAndMe” guy called me a “retarded ass” when I corrected him after he claimed that Pouliot was on a 10 game point streak when Schremp was called up last year, and Schremp ruined it.

24. hemskysuncle says:

LateNightOilFan: Yeah, Prince Caspian and Smyth2Hemsky are one in the same and she also posts as Narnia on HF. She posts there more frequently.

From what i know of Narnia on HF…not so many people are very fond of her posting :D