GDT: L – Oilers 3, Flames 4 – Oct 3, 2009 – Season Opener

By , October 3, 2009 1:04 am

Let's get it started!

It’s finally here. Game 1 of the season kicks off tonight at Rexall Place at 8:00. The game is televised on CBC. Grab your beer, and pull up a chair, this is the moment you’ve all been waiting for.

If you haven’t watched it yet, get yourself amped up even more by watching that incredible video above. I found it hunting around youtube. Credit to “Arpeggio4″ for creating it (looks like he did it recently).

Edmonton Oilers Line Up (Per Oilers)

Jacques – Horcoff – Hemsky
Stone – Comrie – O’Sullivan
Penner – Brule – Cogliano
Moreau – Gagner – Stortini

Souray – Visnovsky
Gilbert – Grebeshkov
Smid – Staios

Khabibulin
Deslauriers

Flames Projected Line Up (per Flames message board)

Moss – Jokinen – Iginla
Dawes – Langkow – Bourque
Glencross – Conroy – Boyd
Nystrom – Prust – Sjostorom

Bouwmeester – Regehr
Phaneuf – Giordano
Kronwall – Pardy

Kiprusoff
McElhinney

Post your predictions in the thread, if you like. As usual, feel free to chat about the game in this thread.

Random Tid Bits

Mike Comrie led the league in points for the 2009/10 pre-season, and was tied for first in assists. Tom Gilbert led all defencemen in points. O’Sullivan was tied (with 15 other players) for 4th in goals. The Oilers finished the pre-season tied for 4th in the Western conference.

This is the home and season opener for the Oilers, of course, but the Flames have played 1 regular game already. They defeated the Canucks 5-3 in a tough battle at the Pengrowth Saddledome.

Dan Barnes of the Edmonton Journal also wrote a piece on how the three players involved in the Dany Heatley near-trade are looking for vindication. It’s a good read, and it’s good to hear the Oilers involved showing confidence in their abilities. Personally, I think Heatley will struggle off the get go, but I can’t see how he wouldn’t blow the doors off of the trio’s totals playing with Jumbo Joe. And that’s no slag against Penner, Cogliano or Smid. It’s just that Healtey should have a career season. As for our three Oilers who were left hanging for a while, I think each of them will have very good seasons.

Injury Update / Khabibulin Sweat-Watch

Sorry, couldn’t resist the Khabibulin comment. But there is an article up on the Edmonton Journal site that talks about the tactics Khabibulin uses to keep dry in the game. It also gives some insight into why he gets so dehydrated. The article says that in one game he can lose eight to 12 pounds of weight! Perhaps they should steal the “beer hat” technology and strap some water bottles to the sides of Khabibulin’s mask.

Also, just to confirm, Ethan Moreau is in the lineup tonight. He had an infection in his ankle that was giving him problems. However, some ice and good ol’ antibiotics have put him in game shape.

Also, here’s a good quote on Ethan Moreau that addresses a topic that came up on the Oilers Message Board a lot (what makes a good captain):

Ethan is a guy that has been here a long time, he’s established his worth as a hockey player. Has he been a 40, 30, 25 goal scorer? I don’t think so very often, but does he show up every night, use his skills, is he a leader by example, does he care about his teammates? Those are the issues that make good captains in my opinion, not how many points they get on a given night.

1st Period Summary

1:52 – CGY – Glencross from Boyd, Conroy
Boyd skates behind our net and fires a back pass to Glencross, who buries it.
6:14 – EDM – Penner from O’Sullivan, Comrie
Powerplay just comes to an end, and Comrie skates hard after a dump in along with Regehr. Regehr pansies out, thinking he’s going to get hit and wiffles a pass to his defensive partner which Comrie intercepts. Comrie fires it back behind the net off where Langkow accidentally mishandles it to the front of the net onto O’Sullivan’s stick. O’Sullivan slaps it and Penner bangs home the rebound.
12:09 – CGY (PP) – Moss from Bouwmeester, Jokinen
Bouwmeester fires a wrister from the point low and wide of the net (intentionally) and Moss tips it in.

Other Highlights
- I don’t know who did the intro, but it was kind of a Scottish-themed Cirque de Soleil like production. Baggpipers, violinist, drums, 2 acrobats (one playing violin) and a vocalist played for the intro. Kind of neat, and from what I recall, similar in a way to last year. Didn’t get to see the scoreboard intro/music though if they had any.. was interested in what that sounded like though.
- Comrie, Hemsky, Souray, Khabibulin all get fair sized cheers from the crowd when they skated on ice during the introduction/
- Penner gets hit by Regehr behind the Flames net. Penner manhandles him and throws him to the ice, drawing a big cheer from the crowd
- Jokinen starts mugging Hemsky in front of the net, as he was trying to poke at the puck. JFJ comes to his defense and roughts up Jokinen. Staios and Iginla have words in that melee, as do Souray and Phaneuf. Iginla earns the double minor for roughing and Staios a minor for roughing on the play.
- On the first power play, Penner had a great chance at the corner of the goal. Kipper was sprawled out flopped on the ice while Penner battled trying to jam it in past him.
- Stortini nails Pardy, but somehow takes the worst of it, and skates off limping and is trainers.. looks like he just broke the bottom of his skate off on the play though. Stortini returns to action within 5 minutes.
- The Bulin Wall makes a huge save at the end of the period on Langkow to keep the team within one.

2nd Period Summary

CGY (PP) – Phaneuf from Bouwmeester, Langkow
With Staios in the box. Lankgow drops it to Bouwmeester, who makes a point-to-point pass to Phaneuf. Phaneuf blasts it high and wide from the point off Smid’s upper body and in the net
17:57 – EDM – Brule from Penner, Visnovsky
Brule steps over the blue line and wires a slap shot that beats Kipper.

Other Highlights
- Fight: Stortini vs. Prust. Both players throw quite a few punches, but no one really lands anything big. Stortini looked to land a couple, one that knocked the bucket off Prust. But really no damage done for either side, as both guys had the other tied up pretty well.
- Fight: Gagner vs. Conroy. Conroy gets some good shots in early on (and Gagner shows a bit of bruising afterwards from it). But Gagner battles back and lands a few of his own and does well. Gagner reminds me more and more of Mike Comrie… minus the attitude questions (at the same age).

Here’s the fight, for those that missed it:

- Ryan Stone nails Giordano into the Oilers bench… Giordano has a good look at the pools of spit sitting at the bottom of the bench.

3rd Period Summary

13:01 – EDM – Gagner – Unassisted
Ethan Moreau pressures Giordano behind the net. Giordano tries to Steve Staios Ring-it-around-the-boards (TM) but the puck takes a bad bounce off the glass and out front). Gagner gets the puck and swings out front and goes fivehole on Kipper.
19:11 – CGY – Moss – Unassisted
The puck gets dumped into the Oilers zone and is bouncing around. Khabibulin comes out to play it, but Moss is all over him pretty quickly. Khabibulin tries to dump it in the corner, but wiffs on it and Moss taps it easily into the open net. What a horrible way to end an otherwise very good night for Khabi.

Other Highlights
- Oilers kick off the period half-way through a powerplay with Quasimodo in the box.
- Announcers just mention that Horcoff has been a master on the dot – 10-2 so far.
- Souray throws the hands up and drops Iginla on his butt as he tries to rush into the Oilers zone down the right boards.
- Khabibulin has looked pretty good tonight, making some great saves at key moments.
- JFJ nails Langkow who tried to step into better position near the Oilers net.
- I predict it will be about game 5 by the time I’ve heard enough “Another Brick in the Wall” references to make me dislike Pink Floyd. Khabibulin is playing SOLID though.
- O’Sullivan gets a glorious chance with just over a minute left, all alone in front, but fires it wide. Shortly after, the Flames get a lucky bounce and score the game winner on a play that Khabibulin mishandled.

POST-GAME RANT

Man, what a heartbreaker.

The good: Gagner had a goal and a fight. He looked fairly good for parts of the night. Brule, Penner, JFJ and Stone all threw big hits tonight. Khabibulin played a very strong game, minus the gaff (see “The ugly”).O’Sullivan, in usual fashion, was all over the ice firing pucks.. he couldn’t bury any chances though, but it’s good to see him taking a lot of shots. They’ll go in eventually!
The bad: The Oilers got caught on their heels quite a bit tonight and spent too much time chasing the puck around in their own zone. Staios and Moreau couldn’t have impressed the coaches too much tonight, as both of them took bad penalties.
The ugly: With the puck hopping and on edge coming into their zone, and less than a minute to play, Khabibulin comes out to play the puck. Moss rushes in close and Khabibulin rushes to play it into the corner, but whiffs on it. Moss pokes at the puck and it trickles into the net before a diving Souray can stop it.

182 Responses to “GDT: L – Oilers 3, Flames 4 – Oct 3, 2009 – Season Opener”

4-3 Oilers. Gotta be a homer for the first game of the year. I’m away in Portland until Tuesday. I’ll be following the game on my Blackberry.

2. pharsyde says:

3-1 Oilers. I’m jacked, I made the trip up from Winnipeg and snagged some standing room tickets, so I’ll be cheering my heart out from the concourse.

Oh and Racki, just to be a douche and point out a typo: “…the Flames have played 1 [regular] season game already”

woops, not being a douche at all, Pharsyde. Appreciate that you pointed it out. I got stuck in “pre-season” mode as I kept talking about it. lol

chucker: 4-3 Oilers.Gotta be a homer for the first game of the year.I’m away in Portland until Tuesday.I’ll be following the game on my Blackberry.

I’ll try and post updates here. Also, I know Center Ice is currently free here right now. Maybe it is free everywhere, so take a look wherever you are staying.

Defensive pairings have been updated from word from the Oilers’ twitter. I honestly do not like Souray/Visnovsky or Smid/Staios together. Ungh. I can’t see coaching making a difference in these pairings, but guess we’ll see if they can play better together.

6. Horpensky says:

sweet video Racki! Did you do that or did you find it?

no, I take no credit for that video, other than doing a search on Youtube. lol I was actually going to create an intro video myself and was looking for pre-season highlights when I saw that one. I figured there was no way I could do any better than that, so why bother? :P The credit to the actual author is in the writeup above.

Khabbi’s nickname in Phoenix was Mr. Ccffee. The guy drinks about two pots a day. This is the first thing I thought of when he had issues with dehydration. Hopefully he manages it better here.

BTW the site looks great on the Smackberry.

Well, it’s too bad we don’t have Craig MacTavish here anymore, because I’m sure he had some Evian water to spare Khabibulin… I wonder if he is looking for a job right now?

10. Hockey Noob says:

What happened to the Souray/Staios pairing? I guess moving Staios down in the pairings is a relief to me. Neither of the two are great passers which would have been a concern.

lol, don’t you all worry about Khabi’s dehydration issues, sources tell me that this mock up(or a similar rendition) has been sent to NHL offices for game approval, and Khabi should be wearing one very soon.

I guess we can’t embed pics with HTML?

Ok, let’s go Oil!! I have a good feeling, 3 important games for me today – first was my son’s game this afternoon, just an exhibition game, but they made final cuts after the game and he made the team, so hopefully that sets the good vibes for tonight. Second game, would really like to see Roli have a great start for the Isles, and third game is of course BOA. Hockey for the rest of the night, starting in under an hour!

Racki: I fixed your post to have the HTML (maybe regular posters aren’t allowed HTML… I don’t know.. but I’d prefer to keep it that way anyways since I could eventually get bombarded by some bad stuff!). LOVE it, btw.. was going to do something like that too, but too much effort. You got a bit lazy with the cutting I see, so I’m sure you can agree. haha

lol, yeah, really lazy with the cutting, I figured you all would get the gist.

and yeah, I can’t blame you for not wanting the peasants to be able to code shit into these threads, that would be a shitstorm waiting to happen.

LNOF: congrats to your son!

Damn is this day ever dragging.. the anticipation is killing me ;)

Gr8one: Yah, definitely got the gist.. that was pretty funny :P

Here’s an action shot of Khabi wearing his new helmet:

17. Hockey Noob says:

Racki, you forgot the “watah” and “Gater ade” lol. Very funny pics though guys!

Hey it’s years later, the labels have worn off! :P

Fiiinally! Game on, ladies and gents. After this crazy intro

Mike Comrie gets a decent sized cheer from the home crowd

Aaaaagain.. Glencross comes back to haunt us. Should have re-signed him just to prevent him from scoring on us. :P

1:52 – CGY – Glencross from Boyd, Conroy
    Boyd skates behind our net and fires a back pass to Glencross, who buries it.

Pennner scoorrrress!!!

6:14 – EDM – Penner from O’Sullivan, Comrie
    Comrie skates hard after a dump in, fires it behind the net and a Flame accidentally redirects it to the front of the net onto O’Sullivan’s stick. O’Sullivan slaps it and Penner bangs home the rebound.

2-1 CGY:
    12:09 – CGY (PP) – Moss from Bouwmeester, Jokinen

Racki: Here’s an action shot of Khabi wearing his new helmet:

hahaha, that’s awesome!!!

I hate Kiprusoff.

haha me too.

P.S., for guys like Chucker who can’t watch.. 1st period summary has been posted above.

LOL @ Penner… getting tired of being asked about his diet (cutting out the barley/wheat based drinks).

yeah, that Penner interview was pretty funny.

where the hell is everyone? this place had more action in the pre season.

Yah, I’m surprised nobody around today.. but maybe most are out watching it somewhere ;)

Both Oilersnation and the Oilers message board went down, too bad some of that regular traffic wouldn’t wander in here :P

29. Hockey Noob says:

Dang, this is one hell of a hockey game. It’s pretty physical–almost looks like a playoff game.

30. Hockey Noob says:

gr8one, I’m too lazy to comment while the action’s on, lol. I’ll be here in between periods, lol. During the preseason, we had to watch on our computers which explains why more people were commenting, I think…

Yah lots of hits on both sides. JFJ, Stortini, Penner, Brule all throwing their weight around for the good guys.

Hockey Noob: During the preseason, we had to watch on our computers which explains why more people were commenting, I think…

Good point! I never used to comment during the play when those GDT on the Oilers forum were up until late into last season.

Hockey Noob: gr8one, I’m too lazy to comment while the action’s on, lol.I’ll be here in between periods, lol.During the preseason, we had to watch on our computers which explains why more people were commenting, I think…

haha, yeah…that is a good point, I never thought of that, where I am I have no choice but to watch it on my comp.

I miss the good ol’ days where it was just taking turns throwing the haymakers.

Fight, Stortini vs. Prust.. no real damage done for either side though.

Man, looked like Penner won that race for icing. Boooooo!!!

I’m talking to myself.

but, at least I agree with self.

gr8one: fighting nowadays is too technical, they’re too good at controlling the fight with leverage on the jersey tugs.I miss the good ol’ days where it was just taking turns throwing the haymakers.

Yah, we sometimes see that though on occasion. Like Brule’s recent fight in the pre-season, for example. Not too common though that guys just go all out.

Coming to you live from the Portland Doubletree, it’s Chucker!

Also, is there any live streaming?

Good to see Glencross getting on the scoresheet for other reasons :P

I don’t think there is any *legal* streaming or I would relay it here. But not sure what Gr8one is watching.

I’ll check out ADHE.
    I got CHED so far…Rod Sounds re-born. :D

Chucker, I keep this site bookmarked.

(Snipped)

Got it!!! I love grey sites.

Nice play Gilbs!

CBC is streaming it:
    CBC Stream

Whats funny is the stream is actually LIVE. I mean, no TV delay. It’s 7 seconds ahead of the TV.

I can’t get onto the CBC steam but the pirated one is spot on. Go figure.

CBC stream doesn’t work south of the Border. :(

hehe, sorry about posting that link Rack, wasn’t thinking.

these GDT need an “autorefresh” lol.

The guys look better defending than last year.