GDT: L – Oilers 3, Flames 4 – Oct 3, 2009 – Season Opener

By , October 3, 2009 1:04 am

Let's get it started!

It’s finally here. Game 1 of the season kicks off tonight at Rexall Place at 8:00. The game is televised on CBC. Grab your beer, and pull up a chair, this is the moment you’ve all been waiting for.

If you haven’t watched it yet, get yourself amped up even more by watching that incredible video above. I found it hunting around youtube. Credit to “Arpeggio4″ for creating it (looks like he did it recently).

Edmonton Oilers Line Up (Per Oilers)

Jacques – Horcoff – Hemsky
Stone – Comrie – O’Sullivan
Penner – Brule – Cogliano
Moreau – Gagner – Stortini

Souray – Visnovsky
Gilbert – Grebeshkov
Smid – Staios

Khabibulin
Deslauriers

Flames Projected Line Up (per Flames message board)

Moss – Jokinen – Iginla
Dawes – Langkow – Bourque
Glencross – Conroy – Boyd
Nystrom – Prust – Sjostorom

Bouwmeester – Regehr
Phaneuf – Giordano
Kronwall – Pardy

Kiprusoff
McElhinney

Post your predictions in the thread, if you like. As usual, feel free to chat about the game in this thread.

Random Tid Bits

Mike Comrie led the league in points for the 2009/10 pre-season, and was tied for first in assists. Tom Gilbert led all defencemen in points. O’Sullivan was tied (with 15 other players) for 4th in goals. The Oilers finished the pre-season tied for 4th in the Western conference.

This is the home and season opener for the Oilers, of course, but the Flames have played 1 regular game already. They defeated the Canucks 5-3 in a tough battle at the Pengrowth Saddledome.

Dan Barnes of the Edmonton Journal also wrote a piece on how the three players involved in the Dany Heatley near-trade are looking for vindication. It’s a good read, and it’s good to hear the Oilers involved showing confidence in their abilities. Personally, I think Heatley will struggle off the get go, but I can’t see how he wouldn’t blow the doors off of the trio’s totals playing with Jumbo Joe. And that’s no slag against Penner, Cogliano or Smid. It’s just that Healtey should have a career season. As for our three Oilers who were left hanging for a while, I think each of them will have very good seasons.

Injury Update / Khabibulin Sweat-Watch

Sorry, couldn’t resist the Khabibulin comment. But there is an article up on the Edmonton Journal site that talks about the tactics Khabibulin uses to keep dry in the game. It also gives some insight into why he gets so dehydrated. The article says that in one game he can lose eight to 12 pounds of weight! Perhaps they should steal the “beer hat” technology and strap some water bottles to the sides of Khabibulin’s mask.

Also, just to confirm, Ethan Moreau is in the lineup tonight. He had an infection in his ankle that was giving him problems. However, some ice and good ol’ antibiotics have put him in game shape.

Also, here’s a good quote on Ethan Moreau that addresses a topic that came up on the Oilers Message Board a lot (what makes a good captain):

Ethan is a guy that has been here a long time, he’s established his worth as a hockey player. Has he been a 40, 30, 25 goal scorer? I don’t think so very often, but does he show up every night, use his skills, is he a leader by example, does he care about his teammates? Those are the issues that make good captains in my opinion, not how many points they get on a given night.

1st Period Summary

1:52 – CGY – Glencross from Boyd, Conroy
Boyd skates behind our net and fires a back pass to Glencross, who buries it.
6:14 – EDM – Penner from O’Sullivan, Comrie
Powerplay just comes to an end, and Comrie skates hard after a dump in along with Regehr. Regehr pansies out, thinking he’s going to get hit and wiffles a pass to his defensive partner which Comrie intercepts. Comrie fires it back behind the net off where Langkow accidentally mishandles it to the front of the net onto O’Sullivan’s stick. O’Sullivan slaps it and Penner bangs home the rebound.
12:09 – CGY (PP) – Moss from Bouwmeester, Jokinen
Bouwmeester fires a wrister from the point low and wide of the net (intentionally) and Moss tips it in.

Other Highlights
- I don’t know who did the intro, but it was kind of a Scottish-themed Cirque de Soleil like production. Baggpipers, violinist, drums, 2 acrobats (one playing violin) and a vocalist played for the intro. Kind of neat, and from what I recall, similar in a way to last year. Didn’t get to see the scoreboard intro/music though if they had any.. was interested in what that sounded like though.
- Comrie, Hemsky, Souray, Khabibulin all get fair sized cheers from the crowd when they skated on ice during the introduction/
- Penner gets hit by Regehr behind the Flames net. Penner manhandles him and throws him to the ice, drawing a big cheer from the crowd
- Jokinen starts mugging Hemsky in front of the net, as he was trying to poke at the puck. JFJ comes to his defense and roughts up Jokinen. Staios and Iginla have words in that melee, as do Souray and Phaneuf. Iginla earns the double minor for roughing and Staios a minor for roughing on the play.
- On the first power play, Penner had a great chance at the corner of the goal. Kipper was sprawled out flopped on the ice while Penner battled trying to jam it in past him.
- Stortini nails Pardy, but somehow takes the worst of it, and skates off limping and is trainers.. looks like he just broke the bottom of his skate off on the play though. Stortini returns to action within 5 minutes.
- The Bulin Wall makes a huge save at the end of the period on Langkow to keep the team within one.

2nd Period Summary

CGY (PP) – Phaneuf from Bouwmeester, Langkow
With Staios in the box. Lankgow drops it to Bouwmeester, who makes a point-to-point pass to Phaneuf. Phaneuf blasts it high and wide from the point off Smid’s upper body and in the net
17:57 – EDM – Brule from Penner, Visnovsky
Brule steps over the blue line and wires a slap shot that beats Kipper.

Other Highlights
- Fight: Stortini vs. Prust. Both players throw quite a few punches, but no one really lands anything big. Stortini looked to land a couple, one that knocked the bucket off Prust. But really no damage done for either side, as both guys had the other tied up pretty well.
- Fight: Gagner vs. Conroy. Conroy gets some good shots in early on (and Gagner shows a bit of bruising afterwards from it). But Gagner battles back and lands a few of his own and does well. Gagner reminds me more and more of Mike Comrie… minus the attitude questions (at the same age).

Here’s the fight, for those that missed it:

- Ryan Stone nails Giordano into the Oilers bench… Giordano has a good look at the pools of spit sitting at the bottom of the bench.

3rd Period Summary

13:01 – EDM – Gagner – Unassisted
Ethan Moreau pressures Giordano behind the net. Giordano tries to Steve Staios Ring-it-around-the-boards (TM) but the puck takes a bad bounce off the glass and out front). Gagner gets the puck and swings out front and goes fivehole on Kipper.
19:11 – CGY – Moss – Unassisted
The puck gets dumped into the Oilers zone and is bouncing around. Khabibulin comes out to play it, but Moss is all over him pretty quickly. Khabibulin tries to dump it in the corner, but wiffs on it and Moss taps it easily into the open net. What a horrible way to end an otherwise very good night for Khabi.

Other Highlights
- Oilers kick off the period half-way through a powerplay with Quasimodo in the box.
- Announcers just mention that Horcoff has been a master on the dot – 10-2 so far.
- Souray throws the hands up and drops Iginla on his butt as he tries to rush into the Oilers zone down the right boards.
- Khabibulin has looked pretty good tonight, making some great saves at key moments.
- JFJ nails Langkow who tried to step into better position near the Oilers net.
- I predict it will be about game 5 by the time I’ve heard enough “Another Brick in the Wall” references to make me dislike Pink Floyd. Khabibulin is playing SOLID though.
- O’Sullivan gets a glorious chance with just over a minute left, all alone in front, but fires it wide. Shortly after, the Flames get a lucky bounce and score the game winner on a play that Khabibulin mishandled.

POST-GAME RANT

Man, what a heartbreaker.

The good: Gagner had a goal and a fight. He looked fairly good for parts of the night. Brule, Penner, JFJ and Stone all threw big hits tonight. Khabibulin played a very strong game, minus the gaff (see “The ugly”).O’Sullivan, in usual fashion, was all over the ice firing pucks.. he couldn’t bury any chances though, but it’s good to see him taking a lot of shots. They’ll go in eventually!
The bad: The Oilers got caught on their heels quite a bit tonight and spent too much time chasing the puck around in their own zone. Staios and Moreau couldn’t have impressed the coaches too much tonight, as both of them took bad penalties.
The ugly: With the puck hopping and on edge coming into their zone, and less than a minute to play, Khabibulin comes out to play the puck. Moss rushes in close and Khabibulin rushes to play it into the corner, but whiffs on it. Moss pokes at the puck and it trickles into the net before a diving Souray can stop it.

182 Responses to “GDT: L – Oilers 3, Flames 4 – Oct 3, 2009 – Season Opener”

chucker:
    Oh I think he had a very solid game and then one HUGE mistake.I don’t know that we’d have been in this game with Roli and the flury of shots he had to make.I just wish he would have stayed in net.I agree though, he’ll be fine.

gr8one: ok, I lied, but I can’t not reply to that.even worse than herpes, think crying game.

Yes. This could be likely worse. LOL!!

3. steve-o drunk and not happy says:

Ffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucccccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkk

gr8one:

hahaa Any of you guys ever watch Kenny vs. Spenny? That reminds me of one episode where the two of them had a competition to see who could score the most. They had like 12 girls over in their house, and they got points for kissing, oral sex, and such. The scrawny guy thought he was doing awesome because he was getting oral sex galore from one of the girls.

At the end of the show, the weasely guy revealed that none of the scrawny guys points counted because it wasn’t with a woman that he got lucky. The weasely guy hired a t-girl to do stuff with the scrawny guy ;)

Racki: Yah, agreed on all points. I don’t really hold it against him though. I mean, on one hand, it’s normally a pretty routine play. But the puck was bouncing and on edge. Ungh.. crappy way to lose!

Agreed. I won’t even go to any of the boards to see the idiotic “I told you so pro Roli threads”. There’s likely about 20 by now.

chucker:
    Agreed.I won’t even go to any of the boards to see the idiotic “I told you so pro Roli threads”.There’s likely about 20 by now.

Ohhh ya. Steve-O’s here.. maybe he can make an “I told you the coaches wouldn’t make a difference” post. MacTavish is winless this season as well though.

7. Hockey Noob says:

Wow Racki, what a downer. The Oilers fought back from a 2 goal deficit to come back in this game to lose to that? Fuck me, wow!!!

Yah, at the very least, it would have been nice to see it go to OT, even if the Oil lost. 49 seconds from earning 1 point.

Just gonna take the positives to keep my sanity tonight. Nice to see the battle in Gags and enjoyed Penner’s game. We competed well and out-shot the Flames. Think I’ll leave it at that, didn’t get to watch the entire game like I had hoped.

Re the earlier game I watched PIT/NYI, got to see Tavares first goal and a solid game by Roli despite a shootout loss for the Isles. They didn’t look like a last place team and took it to the Pens quite a bit. They might surprise a few people this year.

Kevin Weekes look like he just played a 60 minute game. Somebody get the dude a towel!

I hate Limberoni. I hope that’s not Steve-O.

Good. I just lit into him big time.

lol got a link to the post?

It’s on page 60 of the GDT.

Got deleted. Basically I called him a piece of shit troll and to fuck off.

chucker: Good. I just lit into him big time.

I thought you weren’t going to go onto the boards tonight?

LateNightOilFan: I thought you weren’t going to go onto the boards tonight?Jeez, I’m pro-Roli and I’m not even going onto them tonight, people will be too freaked out and irrational.

I couldn’t resit. “I’m Chucker and I am a messageboard user. I’ve been using now for 10 years.”

*sits down ashamed*

haha, I was really close to snapping on a bunch of people on the forum, so I left pretty quickly. Man, some people there are pretty stupid. The one guy making fun of people for acting like it’s the end of the world (it’s game 1!) is right.

Yeah chucker, well it’s 3AM my time, I’ve been up since 7AM and I’m still posting, so guess I’ll have to join you at the MessageBoardUserAnonymous meeting.

Watching the rebroadcast of Toronto goalies giving up 6 goals is good therapy though…

20. OilerTyler says:

I just got home from the game, even though it was a disappointing loss, I like what i saw from the team

Expect great things from Penner this year. I would put him on the top line over Jacques right now.

OilerTyler: I just got home from the game, even though it was a disappointing loss,I like what i saw from the teamExpect great things from Penner this year.I would put him on the top line over Jacques right now.

I agree that this game had a lot of positives. I would actually say put Penner in place of Stone. I’m not sure why he was taken off line 2 to begin with. I like Penner on the top line too, but JFJ has already shown really good chemistry with Horcoff/Hemsky, so I don’t see much reason to move him. But it just seems silly that Penner is earning 3rd line minutes right now.

22. Haboiler says:

Great game, crappy ending…. anyone hear why Comrie didn’t play the last 10 minutes of the 3rd?

I will say, I can see Penner scoring 30+ if he gets enough minutes. I think he could do it with Comrie/O’Sullivan. That 3rd line won’t do him much justice though.

24. OilerTyler says:

Some other great news is that we were able to hold a team to 21 shots, we haven’t been able to do that in quite some time. Calgary on the other hand is averaging 38 shots against per game with their “elite” defence. I don’t know if Calgary can keep winning games that way, there are harder teams out there than the Oilers and Canucks.

Yah Tyler, that is pretty impressive. I thought the team as a whole looked very good. It was a loss, but Calgary is going to be a tough team this year and we hung in there with them. Once O’Sullivan starts burying his chances, we could be a pretty scary team too. That chance he had right before Moss scored the winner… he’s got to at least get it on net.

26. DropIt says:

Calgary is averaging quite a few shots against per game, but what our elite defense is doing a great job of is limiting the quality chances by making the other teams shoot from the outside. And the rebounds from kipper are being cleared out immediatly most times.

Kipper is going to see a tonne of shots this year, as their system is similar to 04; Play solid defence, limit chances and rebounds first and then go on the offence. Plus its game 2

lol, I honestly have no use to go to the OMB anymore, if we could just get a few more people to come here , like Norwegian Oiler, Ashee and a few others that I can’t think of, this place would be perfect for Oilers talk.

Racki just needs to install a douchebag filter to keep the other idiots out. although, I guess that would be counter productive to his hit count.

I’m all for the douchebag filter. I’d rather have it so that this place was enjoyable for all then have a few extra people here viewing pages but acting like idiots.

And Norweigan Oiler does post here from time to time, albeit infrequently. Would be nice to have some more regular posters here though, so feel free to pass along any invites to people you guys know!

29. DropIt says:

Quite the candid interview with scott oake and dustin penner after the 1st period…

I think Penner is sick of hearing about his weight situation the years before.

For sure he is. And Penner’s interviews are always candid. He’s a funny guy to listen to.