GDT – Oilers 3, Canadiens 2 – Oct 10, 2009 – Game 4

By , October 10, 2009 1:30 pm
GDT - Oilers vs. Canadiens - Oct 10, 2009

GDT - Oilers vs. Canadiens - Oct 10, 2009

As usual, please feel free to use this GDT to comment on the game before the game, during the game or after the game.

Sounds like Sheldon Souray is out (still suffering the effects of being slammed into the end boards by Jarome Iginla while chasing after a puck), but Steve Staios is in. Jim Matheson has a good write-up in the Edmonton Journal about Iginla taking Souray into the boards on Thursday.

The Canadiens are coming off a huge 7-1 loss to the Canucks. Look for them to try and redeem themselves with a better compete level tonight.

Here are the projected line-ups for tonight:

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up

Hamrlik-Spacek
Gill-Gorges
Mara-Weber

Price
Halak

POST-GAME RANT

Oilers go to the wire, again. They held a 3-0 leading for a while and I thought they might run away with it until Gionta scored. The goal that didn’t happen (the one that was disallowed because it didn’t actually go in) was just one of many spectacular saves by The Wall. He’s starting to show his worth. It’s been like a slow warm up with him. The first game he was pretty shakey and scared us. The next game he was good, but not quite there. Against Calgary he was quite good, but still a few got by him (albeit all tip ins). But tonight, the score was 3-0 for a while because of Khabibulin’s spectacular play. Some great saves tonight, and I’m starting to see why we signed this guy.. even if he is overpriced. ;)

So again, I’ll say it… we’re 2-1-1 now this year, and could have easily been 4-0… and this would be a lot more telling of how this season has started than when we started 4-0 last year. The Oilers are off to a great start so far.. I’m really liking what I see of this team. You’re going to eat crow, MacT lovers!

25 Responses to “GDT – Oilers 3, Canadiens 2 – Oct 10, 2009 – Game 4”

I expect the Candians to be very high pressure early on. The Oil will definitely be seeking payback and looking to prove something as well. I wouldn’t take Les Habs record as being indicative of their prowess as a team. This could easily turn into the one that got away if they are not up like they were for the Cows.

Hopefully we don’t see a Plekanec slew foot tonight…

Maybe we see MacI draw in tonght. FTR, I voted Hell Ya! in the retaliation pole. Star or not, a message needs to be sent. That’s why we have all these big bodies now. Having one of them sit for a game or two is no big deal. Not sending a message is.

I’ve been wondering about MacI, actually… I don’t see him really fitting into Pat Quinn’s system, but who knows. He did work on his skating in the off-season, at least. I wouldn’t mind seeing him in an Inter-conference game where it doesn’t quite mean as much.

I think too that while the Canadiens record isn’t a sign of how well they’ve done (as Quinn mentioned, they’ve been on the road to start this season and come out 0.500 so far), the Oilers record is misleading too. I mentioned it somewhere here earlier that last year and this year are similar in that both season starts were misleading and undeserved. Except we went 4-0 out of the gate last year. That was smoke and mirrors last year, and the real team ended up showing up in the end. I think this year is the opposite. They’ve gone 1-1-1 (which isn’t too bad), but I think they could have won each of the games.

That all said though, for sure the Oil shouldn’t take the Habs lightly!

3. Max Powers says:

I’m hoping to see MacI there tonight. Gonna be 3 seats behind the oil goal with my Gretzky jersey on tonight sitting beside the Father in law in his Montreal jersey. Gonna miss Souray clearing the net though :(

MacI vs Laracque might have some entertainment value.

on a sidenote, some ex-Oilers in NY seem to having a good game so far.

Schremp has PP assist, and Rolie is pitching a SO so far(about 10 mins to go in the 3rd)against the Bruins.

lol…guess I jinxed Rolie.

where in the hell is everyone? We’re playin’ awesome, and there’s no one here talking about it!!

how about that play by Stone that lead to POS’s goal?

how about that Brule hit and then him holding his own against Mara?

!!!!

blegh, and Hemsky can’t buy a goal!

8. Trogdor says:

I’ve been watching, just no computer near by. Boys are looking good. Playing physical and goals from different lines. Now to see how the p/k goes. Looks good so far.

Boys look very very good so far. Lets keep it up!

10. Trogdor says:

Good to see some solid play from Bulin as well. One terrible mistake in the season, but he’s looked good otherwise.

Sorry boys, that was Samus’s fault for saying shutout.

appropriate punishment has been doled out

12. Trogdor says:

Wow, you really pulled the jinx. 3-0 to losing in a shootout.

gr8one: lol…guess I jinxed Rolie.

Schremp looked good. I told you all about this.

14. Trogdor says:

Oooh, ugly turnover in our end. Could have been worse

yeah, we’re looking too complacent now, turnover machines we are.

16. Trogdor says:

Nice backcheck Hemmer, but a little too much on the grab.

Trogdor: Wow, you really pulled the jinx.3-0 to losing in a shootout.

haha, yeah no shit eh?

18. Trogdor says:

New drinking game… Every time there is Pink Floyd reference, do a shot.

ok, seriously, will they ever tire of the pink floyd comments?

/edit

haha, yeah Trogdor, that’d get ya more slammed than playing the “smurf” drinking game.

geezus, another own goal, this is effin ridiculous.

21. Trogdor says:

WTF? Celebrating like my high school stamina(pre-mature…) to a quick turn around for an actual goal? Keep your cool boys and get 2 points out of this.

22. Trogdor says:

Thank the good lord! That was too close… Entertaining, but I didn’t need the heart exercise. Someone do a Pink Floyd ref so I can drink.

Money!!

that’ll have to do for the pink floyd reference, I can’t take another brick one.

24. Trogdor says:

Good game boys. Solid p/k, but on the other hand we didn’t capitalize on our powerplays either. Hopefully we’ve gotten all of our bad bounces out of the system for the season.

Great game! The Oilers are looking more and more like a team. I thought Steve Staios and Ladi Smid had good games, eating up the minutes tonight. Khabi was Fabi tonight.. Khabulous. Ok, I’ll stop now. :P But he was very, very good tonight. And Jacques also looked pretty good tonight. There were some running Horcoff jokes though at the household where I watched the game.