GDT – Oilers 6, Blue Jackets 4 – Oct 22, 2009 – Game 9

By , October 21, 2009 11:30 pm
GDT - Oilers vs. Blue Jackets - Oct 22, 2009

GDT - Oilers vs. Blue Jackets - Oct 22, 2009

UPDATE: ACTUAL LINES HAVE BEEN ADDED FOR THE OILERS, PER OILERSNATION
Game #9 goes down tonight, with the Edmonton Oilers playing host to the Columbus Blue Jackets. UPDATE: Brule is definitely out tonight. Smid is likely back in. Comrie is starting to feel signs of sickness. So to make a long story short, I have no idea what the lines will look like tonight, but a guesstimation is included below, as usual. The one good thing about this team is that it has interchangeable parts. So really even though several players are out, there are a few parts we can put in, in their place and still be fine. Khabibulin gets the nod in goal tonight.

Both teams are off to similar starts with the Oilers 5-2-1 and the Jackets 5-2-0. The Oilers are coming off a close 2-1 win over Vancouver on Monday, while the Blue Jackets were drubbed 6-3 on Tuesday by the Calgary Flames.

Tonight’s game is a 7:30 start and can be seen on Sportsnet West. Enjoy it while it lasts, because November is a crappy month for PPV.

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-Up

Penner – Gagner – Hemsky
Comrie – Horcoff – O’Sullivan
JFJ – Cogliano – Nilsson
Moreau – Stortini – MacIntyre

Gilbert – Grebeshkov
Smid – Visnovsky
Chorney – Strudwick

Khabibulin
JDD

Blue Jackets Projected Line-Up (from HFBoards)

Huselius – Brassard – Nash

25PP%17.9
96.6PK%81.2
28S/G24
30.4SA/G33.5
49.8FO%49.4

GAME NOTES

– Khabibulin will in fact get the start tonight.
– At this point, Brule and Smid both are battling the flu and either could miss the game, meaning MacIntyre draws in… possibly even on defense, where he was seen for Wednesday’s practice. UPDATE: Smid is expected to play, however Brule is expected to be out tonight. He did not practice with the team today.
– The usual suspects will also miss tonight’s game – Pisani, Pouliot, Staios and Souray. In addition, Ryan Stone will also miss the game with a knee injury.
– The top six will get a very significant jumble as the struggling Horcoff and Hemsky have been split up. Horcoff will center O’Sullivan and Comrie, while Hemsky will play with Penner and Gagner, on his usual right side.
– The bottom six won’t likely look as they are mentioned above in the projected line-ups… this is just an educated guess.

1ST PERIOD SUMMARY

0:58 – EDM – Gagner from Penner, Hemsky
Penner gets it behind the net and fires it out front to Gagner, who blasts it home.
16:02 – CBJ – Huselius from Voracek, Vermette
Voracek gets around Grebeshkov and gets a shot on net, the rebound comes to Huselius who puts it past Khabibulin.
19:36 – CBJ – PPG – Torres from Umberger
On the powerplay, Umberger skates behind the Oilers net and passes it out front and the NHL’s Most Dangerous Mexican fires it top shelf where Grandma keeps the geritol.

Other Highlights
– Penner throws Blunden around in front of the net.
– Visnovsky makes a nice shot block on a shot close to the front of the net.
– Moreau and Stortini barely miss double teaming Methot. On the same shift, Stortini hits Klesla pretty hard. This line is a good kind of scary, so far.
– Smid drops the gloves and helmet at the end of the period wanting to fight with Dorsett, but it was just a few moments too late. Both get unsportsmanlike penalties.

2ND PERIOD SUMMARY

2:05 – CBJ – Huselius from Voracek, Roy
Voracek bulls his way into the zone, fighting off Grebeshkov and fires it to the slot where Huselius one times it in.
11:52 – CBJ – Chimera from Pahlsson, Dorsett
Basically a 2-on-1 (maybe a 3-on-2) as Strudwick deserts Visnovsky who can’t stop all the Blue Jackets blowing into the Oil zone at full speed. Chimera roofs it nder the bar.
12:09 – EDM – Penner from Hemsky, Gagner
Gagner flips it across, Penner tips it behind him to Hemsky and goes to the net. Hemsky gets it back to him and Penner taps it in.
18:55 – EDM – PPG – Hemsky from Visnovsky, Penner
On the powerplay, Penner is down low behind the goal line and back passes it to the point to Visnovsky. Visnovsky quickly fires the cross-seam pass over to Hemsky who takes a second to corals the puck and then wrists it past Garon.

Other Highlights
– Visnovsky leads a rush and fires it on net but it was tipped and just knuckled along the ice and off the side of the net.
– Dustin Penner.. wow, what’s with this guy? I’ve been a big supporter of his, even when he was “fat Penner”. But I didn’t know he had it in him… he just had a beautiful power-forward rush. Very Cole-like where he powered his way past/over Russell. He then preceded to jam away at the rebound, but couldn’t get it under Garon’s pad.

3RD PERIOD SUMMARY

6:04 – EDM – PPG – Penner from Hemsky, Gagner
Hemsky carries it in the zone and moves it across to Penner who wires the shot past Garon from the slot. This draws a standing ovation for the big man.
10:43 – EDM – Visnovsky from Penner, Hemsky
Penner shoots it on net and Garon kicks out a juicy rebound to the point where Visnovsky blasts it into the net.
19:43 – EDM – PPG (EN) – Nilsson from Visnovsky, Smid
Nilsson bats the puck down the ice from his own zone, with Garon pulled and it rolls down into the empty net.

Other Highlights
– Don’t see it often, but Nilsson threw a huge open ice hit on Filatov, who got caught with his head down. Lucky for him Nilsson wasn’t MacIntyre.
– Grebeshkov hammers Dorsett in the Jackets zone while pinching in.. this drew a penalty, as Dorsett high-sticks Grebs in the face on the way down.
– On this powerplay, Gilbert gets caught at the point by one of the jackets and almost loses the puck. He falls to his knees, and in desperation manages to poke it back in and keep it from being a short handed breakaway. Nice recovery.
– Smid makes a great shot block. He really has been a rock on the blue line, paired with Visnovsky. I’ve always said it – Staios is a good d-man. Smid is a good d-man. Pair them together, and it’s a disaster.
– On the PP, Umberger somehow gets behind the Oilers defence and fires off two point-blank shots at Khabibulin, but the Bulin Wall is in full effect.

POST-GAME RANT

What can I say? Wow… that top line… unbelievable. They looked like a real top line tonight. They threw everything at the Blue Jackets, and the Jackets looked like a junior team versus that line. Thirteen points for the line, combined. Penner with 2 goals, 3 assists… he deserved the ovation he got in the 3rd period. He had a great game. Gagner and Hemsky both looked pretty good too, but Penner was doing everything out there and looked like the guy Lowe signed as an RFA.

The Oil fell behind pretty early on in this game, but the score didn’t really tell the pace of the game. The Oilers were in it the whole way, but weren’t burying chances until the flood gates opened. Great job to Khabi for at least keeping it somewhat close, long enough for the top line to bring the heat.

Some bad penalties at the end of the game by the Blue Jackets pretty much sealed this one. The Oilers didn’t have much trouble holding the lead because of that.

The fourth line also looked pretty good tonight, although they saw very limited action. They weren’t a liability out there, but were very intimidating to the Columbus defence. I wouldn’t mind seeing those guys stick together. Grebeshkov and Gilbert looked a bit weak out there, as did Strudwick on occasion (especially the Chimera goal where he was beat at center ice and coasted back). Smid and Visnovsky, however, looked fantastic again together. I hope that pairing sticks. They are great together.

Anyways, good game tonight.. very exciting one, which seems a common thing when we play the Blue Jackets.

193 Responses to “GDT – Oilers 6, Blue Jackets 4 – Oct 22, 2009 – Game 9”

1. Horpensky says:

woah Jeff D and Garon getting the starts? This could be interesting!

2. Hockey Noob says:

Racki, you forgot part of the story… Isn’t this the battle of this year’s leading Vezina candidates? Haha!

Garon has a .977 SV% while Deslauriers currently has a .976 SV % with a 1.0 GAA. Lol!!!

oops… this one wasn’t supposed to be published yet. hah

Meant for it to go up tomorrow. Oh well, might as well leave it up now ;)

And I’m not 100% on these two goalies getting the starts, but that’s the vibe I got from the interviews today. However, if I’m right, you heard it here first, folks! :P

4. Trogdor says:

I’ve got word from my secret starting goalies website that Garon is getting the nod tonight. Also Filatov will likely replace Boll tonight, and Commodore is 50-50.

Sounds like Khabibulin will start for the Oilers though. But yes, Garon is in fact starting for the Jackets.. so I was half right! That’s better than usual for me.

Although we still don’t know for sure that Khabi is in net, the Oilers preview page makes it sound like he is.

Ok, another update… Jason Gregor on Oilers Nation confirmed that Khabibulin will get the start tonight. So there will be no battle of frenchies. Sorry to get your hopes up ;) But Garon does start tonight, however.

The other thing, and it’s not good, is Comrie is also starting to feel a bit sick as well. However, he’s going to man up and play through it tonight. Brule is definitely out though. Ladislav Smid practiced today, so that is a good sign that he’ll play tonight. Our lines tonight are anyone’s guess. I’ll re-adjust them above to my newest best guess. But basically, I have no friggen idea.

Have the Oilers indicated whether or not this is H1N1?

The word on that has been a bit sketchy from news articles. Ex., I have read on some news sites wording like “The Oilers don’t believe it to be H1N1″. Well, that isn’t very convincing.

But I read official word somewhere that said that Hemsky was tested for H1N1 and it came back negative. (actually a quick google brought up a Sportsnet article confirming that)

At any rate, I would think that if a player was thought to have H1N1, the handling of that would be pretty dramatic. He’d likely be quarantined from the rest of the team/league for a period of time. Hell, I would even wonder if that could end up postponing games, due to the fact that the team came in contact with said player and it could spread.

I know some of the Oilers are going to take the H1-N1 vaccine when it’s available. But yah, I think it’s safe to say it’s not H1-N1

9. Hasman says:

gr8one: Have the Oilers indicated whether or not this is H1N1?

I sincerely hope not!

10. DropIt says:

Why did the Oilers let Jan Hejda go, did he under achieve or free agency? Regardless, He has been a rock on defense the last 3 seasons or so.

Gotta love Garon’s comments about the Oilers: “It was a great experience. I wish I could still be here but hockeys like that, you get traded and stuff happens but really happy I had the chance to play here.”

Classy of him not to mention the Stanley Cup as being part of ‘stuff happens’.

DropIt: I don’t think he got a long enough glimpse of Hejda to really judge him. I think most people liked Hejda, and he seemed to me like he was a fairly reliable d-man. But I think the Oilers were in a bit of a transition at the time, looking for more offensive minded d-men, and also there was a bit of depth in D here making it hard to really give Hejda the look he deserved. It’s too bad, because obviously he’s panned out very well for CBJ, and we could use his type here now, defensively.

But honestly, I think I’d rather have had all of our current d-men here than Hejda the past two years, and for the future, I’d consider Chorney and Peckham as being potentially better players for the team.

Really, Hejda wasn’t in the long term game plan due to depth. Unfortunate.

From what I understand, and someone can correct me if I’m wrong as my only source is message boards, because Hedja suffered the shoulder injury to end his UFA season Lowe didn’t think he would get snapped up right away. Apparently Lowe said they would give him an offer but didn’t make it a priority. However, Scott Howson was on the phone to him as soon as free agency opened. Kind of along the same lines as Glencross.

yeah, that howson fellow seems pretty bright

cbj has been going up since he joined and another team went in the other direction when he left them

15. DropIt says:

I see, thanks for the insight. I was just curious as to why he was lost. and if he anticipated to develop into the defenceman he has become when he was an Oiler..

16. DropIt says:

Howson is a real good GM. He has completely turned that Columbus franchise around and into a serious, annual contender.to be at least a playoff threat.

Yah, on a good note though, our ties to Howson had afforded us Glencross (although Lowe effed that one up) and Brule.

He’s the same guy that took Tarnstrom and Torres for those two diamonds in the rough, so I wouldn’t say he’s the most astute GM at all times, but he has made some good decisions there.

Another line update. Ok, so credit to Jason Gregor for these lines…

Looks like Stortini will play center between Moreau / MacIntyre. I did catch him taking a faceoff one game (he won the draw, btw). But anyways, he played some center in Junior apparently. And well, it’s the goon line.. so why the hell not?

Comrie Horcoff O’Sully will be together.
    And Cogliano slots in between JFJ and Nilsson.

19. Hockey Noob says:

Smac and Storts on one line… Is it just me or could that line be scary in more ways than one?

sportsnet just said they tried to bring up eberle but league wouldn’t let them

3-2 Oilers.

Hockey Noob: Smac and Storts on one line…Is it just me or could that line be scary in more ways than one?

Maybe they can show Moreau how to be physical again :P

What a shot by Gagner!

24. Haboiler says:

Just imagine if JFJ was on with SMAC and Storts…

I like that top line where Gags can shoot more… nice early goal…

Yah agreed on all points, Haboiler. But nice try by Moreau and Stortini to try and double up on Methot. Their d-men are going to be looking behind them all night.

26. Haboiler says:

I agree on Moreau and Stortini. As much as Moreau can be frsutrating at times with the inopportune penalties, he is still a leader out there that we need.

Just got in, sounds like we’re doing ok? Gags is starting to pick it up for my pool, nice!

Yah so far the Oil are playing well. And I’m liking the Mammoth line. :D Big.. scary.. in a good way (so far)

Grebeshkov=pwned

I miss Jake Voracek…watched him grow up on the Mooseheads…

torres that hack!!

eff it!

wow, that was quite the release by Raffi.

They’ll get it back. I think the Oil played a good period.

34. Hockey Noob says:

Grebeschkov’s played pretty poorly in his own zone. I was getting a beer and watching from a distance… When I saw Voracek blow by I thought that it must have been Strudwick that he blew by lol.

Racki: They’ll get it back. I think the Oil played a good period.

agreed.

36. Hockey Noob says:

Racki, the top six looks really good. Jacques looks brutal in our zone. Grebs is playing poorly in his zone too. Nilsson’s not playing too badly–a hit, a blocked shot, and drew a penalty.

Hockey Noob: Grebeschkov’s played pretty poorly in his own zone.I was getting a beer and watching from a distance… When I saw Voracek blow by I thought that it must have been Strudwick that he blew by lol.

haha, I thought the same thing.

38. Hockey Noob says:

Comrie’s making Horcoff look like Ethan Moreau on the rush which doesn’t bode well for Scorcoff.

ow, those orange pads of JDD’s hurt my eyes, he might get a lot of SO’s with those on.

lol gr8one.. I missed that, haven’t seen his pads.. that bad hey?

FFS.

42. Trogdor says:

Just in time to comment on a goal against… Damn.

In fairness, it was Voracek.. that guy has some good wheels and is a pretty skilled guy.

Did I say I missed Voracek?

I’m not liking this – I’ve watched a couple games so far tonight that ended in 5-1 losses…

This could be a high scoring game the way it’s going. I think the Oil still have a fair amount of goals in them too.

Racki: lol gr8one.. I missed that, haven’t seen his pads.. that bad hey?

hehe, yeah, pretty bad…the internet feed I’m watching showed him walking from the dressing room to the bench.

Voracek looks awesome.

Racki: lol gr8one.. I missed that, haven’t seen his pads.. that bad hey?

He should paint jack’o’lantern faces on them for Hallowe’en, that’s how orange they are…

WEll at least I have Huselius in the pool. :P But the Oil better claw back!

comrie looks slow as hell