GDT – Oilers 3, Blackhawks 4 – Oct 14, 2009 – Game 6

By , October 14, 2009 9:53 am
GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. Chicago Blackhawks

GDT - Edmonton Oilers vs. Chicago Blackhawks

The Oilers are coming off a monster 6-1 win over Nashville on Monday in which JDD and Stortini were the story. JDD stopped 40 of 41 shots, while Stortini had 2 goals, and a fight. The Blackhawks, meanwhile, came back from 5-0 against the Flamers on Monday to win 6-5 in OT (DropIt, you’re going to need to explain how the hell that happens). At about the midway point of the 1st period, the Flames were up 5-0. Huet was chased from the net after allowing 3 goals on 5 shots. Neimi allowed the next two, but from the 2nd period on, the Blackhawks seemed to wake up.

Look for a better performance from the Blackhawks who will want to redeem themselves for a sloppy first period that drew ire from the United Center fans. “‘Holy smokes. How we going to fix this?’” was the question Brent Seabrook asked himself midway through the first period. “We were embarrassed. Our fans weren’t very happy and they let us know about it. We want to have good starts and we want to help our goaltender out. That was unacceptable.”

For the Oilers, the key is going to be stepping on the gas early on in the game and not letting off. I’m not a fan of goaltenders playing their old teams, but hopefully Khabibulin will show some inspired play against his former team. In my eyes he’s gotten better with each game.

Tonight’s game starts at 6:30 and is televised on TSN.

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

23.5PP%22.7
81PK%82.4
25S/G37.4
31.8SA/G21.8
50.6FO%56.4

GAME NOTES

Steve Staios is a game time decision for tonight. Chorney filled in quite well for him on Monday, logging 14:29 TOI, and finishing +1 with 1 assist (on Stortini’s PP goal).

1ST PERIOD SUMMARY

0:51 – CHI – Sharp from Toews, Ladd
Oilers get hemmed in their zone, Jacques can’t quite get his stick on Patrick Sharp who fires a shot from within the slot.
2:30 – EDM – Cogliano from Moreau
Moreau and Cogliano get a two on one. Moreau fires the pass over to Cogliano who shelfs it under the bar.
13:15 – CHI – Skille from Hjalmarsson, Fraser
Hjalmarsson is left completely open at the blue line. He fires it on net and Khabi gives up a rebound to the slot where Skille is there to bang it in.

Other Highlights
- Skille hits Chorney after a whistle (and pops the glass out) for icing drawing attention from Smid. Nothing happens however. Just a bit of shoving.
- JFJ laid a nice solid hit on Keith as the two went into the Hawks zone for a dump in
- Dustin Penner in obvious pain after blocking a shot. They panned to him on the bench a few minutes later and he was still wincing.
- Byfuglien hits Hemsky from behind on the boards. As he skates off the ice, Stortini is yelling at him. McGuire mentioned that Byfuglien replied with “Who are you kidding? You’re not going to fight me.. you’re a goal scorer now”. I guess he watches the highlights.
- Brower undresses everyone on the ice for Oil except for the Wall.
- Looks like JFJ is trying to scrap with Byfuglien, but he isn’t biting.
- Horcoff blocks a shot from Seabrook and that one looks to have hurt bad. However, looks like he didn’t miss a shift. Ditto for Penner.
- Insanely bad bounce off the glass in the Oilers zone comes right out in front of the Oilers net with Khabi looking the other way still… the Oilers got lucky there, as no Blackhawks were around at the time.
- Visnovsky does is best Joni Pitkanen impersonation as he blows through the entire hawks team (minus one defender) going end-to-end but finishes it up with an easily saved shot.
- Not a good period for the Oilers at all. Outshot 16-6

2ND PERIOD SUMMARY

9:12 – CHI – Versteeg from Campbell, Sharp
The Hawks barrell into the Oiler zone with speed. Campbell carries it below the Hawks zone and passes it off Visnovsky’s stick to the slot where Versteeg jams it through Khabibulin’s five hole.

Other Highlights
- Cogliano catches the Hawks on a bad change, gets nearly in all alone on Niemi. He fires a shot from the faceoff circle that rings off the post.
- Somehow the puck winds up trapped between Hjalmarsson’s legs from a wild shot from the corner in the Blackhawk’s zone. Penner notices this and skates over to him and bowls him over (insert joke about him thinking it was a twinkie here).
- Stortini gets some love from Gord and Piere mentioning how hard of a worker he is and pointing out his great game against Nashville.
- Oh wow, I actually just saw Tom Gilbert hit someone hard in the Oilers zone behind the net.. nice hit as he threw his whole weight into it.
- I can’t possibly say enough just how good Visnovsky is when he gets the puck on his stick in his own zone. Very calming presence.
- Khabibulin makes a coulple of great back-to-back saves after a hard point shot and rebound.
- Patrick Sharp blows past Strudwick with speed, forcing Strudwick wrap him up, drawing the penalty shot.
- Sharp elects to shoot, but Khabibulin makes the nice blocker save.
- Cue the line blender
- Stortini nails Hjalmarsson as he’s trying to keep a puck in the Oilers’ zone, sending Hjalmarsson sliding from the blueline to about 3 feet in front of the center ice red line.
- Chorney looks invisible tonight, and I mean that as a compliment. Kevin Lowe once said that you know you’re doing a good job on defense when people don’t notice you out there. Sure, we’d like to see him do something offensive, but he seems to be playing a solid brand of defense.
- This period started good, but the Oilers fell flat yet again. The end of the period is notably horrible.

3RD PERIOD SUMMARY

10:43- EDM – Penner from Brule
Penner swings behind the net and throws it out front and it banks in off of Hjalmarsson’s leg and in.
17:18 – CHI (PP) – Barker from Toews, Versteeg
Barker gets it at the point, Sharp is in front of Khabibulin completely screening him. Barker absolutely wires it, clean past Khabibulin. Doubtful he even saw it.
19:13- EDM (PP) – Grebeshkov from Penner, Horcoff

Other Highlights
- Comrie blocks a shot leading to a 3 on 2 with O’Sullivan and Comrie playing give and go and generating a shot on goal.
- Byfuglien passes it over to Kane at the right dot making Khabibulin go west-east to make a big kick save.
- On the PP, Grebeshkov gets beat at the blueline. Versteeg gets in all alone on Khabibulin on the breakaway and is stoned by Khabibulin.
- Grebeshkov gets caught flat footed as Toews blows around him but Khabibulin throws up his force field.
- Horpensky reuinited again. Hemsky gets behind the net and passes it out front to Horcoff who is absolutely robbed by Niemi.
- Comrie again blocks another shot and this time he’s hobbling. At least some guys are playing like this game means something.
- Khabibulin has been pretty solid. The Oilers defense is nearly non-existant tonight save for him back there. Makes left and right, such as Grebeshkov going for the big highlight hit at the blueline leading to a near solo chance for Toews.
- Nice rally at the end with Khabibulin pulled, but too little too late. They get one goal with the 5-on-3 (with Khabi pulled). But can’t get the game tying goal afterwards.

SPECIAL TEAMS

CHI PP1 (Ryan Stone, 2 mins for Roughing) – NO GOAL
1st Unit – Penner/Horcoff with Grebs/Gilbert.
2nd unit – Moreau/Cogliano with Strudwick/Gilbert. Lots of space for the Blackhawks to move it around and they get some good shots on net. Eventually it gets tied up against the boards for the whistle.
3rd Unit – Horcoff/Penner with Chorney/Smid – Nothing too effective from the Hawks. They get traffic in front of the net, but no dangerous shots on net.
EDM PP1 (Bowland 2 mins for Tripping) – NO GOAL
1st Unit with Penner, O’Sullivan, Comrie with Gilbert/Grebs. Grebeshkov steals a near clearing attempt and gets it to Comrie who gets a nice shot on net.
2nd Unit Gagner, Horcoff, Hemsky with Visnovsky/Chorney. Hawks keep the shots to the outside and the Oil don’t get any shots on goal. Just 2 seconds before this penalty ends, Madden gets called for the hook.
EDM PP2 (Madden 2 mins for Hooking) – NO GOAL
1st Unit Penner, O’Sullivan, Comrie with Grebeshkov/Gilbert – Grebeshkov gets beat at the blueline. Versteeg gets in all alone on Khabibulin on the breakaway and is stoned by Khabibulin.
Eventually the Stortini line gets out there. Really this was a pretty ineffective powerplay.
CHI PP2 (Grebeshkov 2 mins for tripping) – GOAL
1st Unit Horcoff,Penner with Smid/Gilbert. Horcoff wins the draw and the Oil battle and get it out.
Penner gets into the Hawks’ zone and gets a shot on net, shorthanded.
2nd Unit Cogliano, Moreau with Chorney/Strudwick. Cogs wins the draw but it bounces past Chorney. The Oil dump it out… hawks bring it back in.. Oil dump it back out.
1st Unit back out. Lots of space for the Hawks point men again. Cam Barker wires a howitzer from the point past everyone including Khabibulin.
EDM PP3 (Bowland 2 mins for tripping) – GOAL
1st Unit Penner Horcoff Hemsky with Grebeshkov/Visnovsky. Empty net, as it was a 4-on-4 previously. Lots of passing around, the play gets shot on goal, lots of banging at it by Penner. Grebeshkov digs it out and puts it upstairs.

POST-GAME RANT

Brutal game played by the Oilers. The defense was nearly non-existant during most points of the game. Really left Khabibulin hanging out to dry. But, to Khabi’s credit, he handled it pretty well all things considered. Khabibulin saved 34 of 38 shots. He played a pretty solid game, especially as the game wore on. In the beginning though, I wasn’t sure if he was really in it.

So as I mentioned before the game, this game was the measuring stick for the Oilers. Did they have what it takes to play with a team that plays their own style of hockey? The answer was no. I am confident they can play against other styles of hockey (i.e. teams that play a more defensive brand of hockey), but they just can’t compete with the Blackhawks because they play a similar game, but with better components (thanks to years of failure and some good draft picks). Luckily though, I think that games like this are going to be the minority for the Oilers. Not worried, but I had hoped that the Oil would win it so I could really feel that they’ve got the compete level to take on the best of them.

Next game, Minnesota on Friday on PPV.

144 Responses to “GDT – Oilers 3, Blackhawks 4 – Oct 14, 2009 – Game 6”

The score for this one is very misleading. Should of been more like 6-1.

Steve-O : not a 9-2 loss, but it wasn’t a pretty one.

Ow, that hurt. Oil lose and Bolland looks like he’s injured (one of my picks). Would have made it interesting if Cogs scored that one goal he rung off the post. Next game on PPV too? I sure won’t be tuning in on Channel Surfing or ATDHE… And anyone want to bet the Hjalmarsson will inspire a top ten of sorts?

4. Trogdor says:

We stand higher than the Preds tonight, that’s all I know. 3rd period was more competitive, but as Racki says, our goalie kept things respectable tonight.

And that’s a wrap.

This was so last year though – outplayed, heavy reliance on the goalie to give them a chance, frantic finish, and coming up short. Back down to earth against real opposition.

Let’s see how they bounce back against the Wild on Friday. If they come back with a solid effort that’s a good sign and an improvement from last year.

I say not a top 5 team in the conference, but I would put us in the 6-10 slot.

LNOF: yup, well said. I think the Wild are a team that the Oil can beat though. I just don’t think the Oil are a team that can handle a team like the Blackhawks or the Penguins or teams that bring a fast, high-flying offense.

Not too bad by the boys tonight. Looked shaky the 1st period, looked real good the 3rd and ok the 2nd. All in all a good game tonight from the guys. Only lost 4-3 to a team that is better than us no questions asked. If this is a measuring stick, then I think the Oilers will be back in the playoffs this year. Penner played another good game, same with Khabi. One of those goals shouldn’t have gone in, but after that effort you can’t complain. I’m happy that we fought and made this a game, its a huge plus to take away from this game. I think we played good enough to beat about any other team except Pittsburgh with our game tonight. Lets get ready for the Wild!

P.S- The Oilers have the #3 offense in the NHL. Can you tell the coaching change made a difference?? We are making the playoffs this year.

Another thing, I bet you we win this game with Staios and Souray in there for us. I’m thinking 6th in the west this year, with the hawks ahead of us in 4th and the flames in 5th.

I admire your optimism Boston, but a bit too early to predict the playoffs in my world. There are still quite a few teams that would have beat us the way we played tonight. But it’s still very early in the season and I definitely see us improving.

11. OilerTyler says:

On the bright side, i moved Souray and Dupont onto the IR in our pool and was able to pick up Penner and Prospal

I also dropped Osgood and picked up Roloson. Osgood’s play is bringing me down.

Yah B.O, I don’t share the optimism, although you could be right about Souray and Staios making the difference. Defensively (specifically in that 5-10 foot area in front of the net) the Oilers were horrible and left Khabibulin to do most of the work. Sharp and Byfuglien were up in Khabibulin’s face way too much. Plus the Hawks forwards got in all alone on him how many times tonight? It was a bad game. The Oilers weren’t even really there for more than 2/3s of the game.

13. Hockey Noob says:

Racki/Steve-O, Stone looked great from a physicality standpoint in maybe his first 3 or 4 games. Over the past two games, the crushing checks are few and far between. Is Stone finished? If he’s not hitting, he’s not doing much IMO. Should Quinn break Nilsson back instead?

14. OilerTyler says:

OilerTyler: I just went to the OMB and tried to post with reason, needless to say i got flamed for not wanting to trade Hemsky

LOL that’s crazy. I mean, Hemskt has not been good at all, but I know he’ll come around… patience with him. He’ll be his usual phenomenal self within a couple of weeks I’m sure.

Racki: Noob: I like Quinn’s gameplan of having a big body on each line. In honesty, I didn’t even notice Stone out there at all tonight. I mean, not once. I think him and the other guys of his ilk (Stortini, Jacques) are going to fade away and disappear from time to time, but they just need to get that message beat back in their heads – hit everything that moves. I’m not too worried about him. I’d like to see Nilsson too, but I’d actually say at the cost of Moreau. He may be the captain of the team, but he isn’t playing like it. And I like Moreau, but maybe he just needs a quick message to get his head back in the game again.

I also like what Quinn has done with our “System” as well, he’s made us more of a physical force, however if Stone, Jacques or Storts aren’t acting their parts then they will seem invisible much like Stone may have appeared tonight. And since Stortini was a scoring presence he has a few games to fly under the physical radar if he so chooses but for him I can’t really see that happening.

Now, can you imagine if Quinn had a couple more guys with some overall size that could also play with some more skill/speed? Someone similar to the way Erik Cole played his last few games in Oiler silks I think would fit in wonderfully in this system. He’s got a physical size and quite a bit of speed who crashes the net. I think if Tambi make’s some trades, to acquire a forward with some size and skill set similar to Cole’s we may have quite a force. That’s just my opinion though.

And kudos to you OilerTyler trying to make a logical post on the OMB, I hope this place flourish’s into a community similar to a lot of the members already on here, even though there aren’t that many yet. Then maybe a decent forum can be opened here. Not that the OMB was terrible but it did have it’s moments here and there…

19. Horpensky says:

Interesting stats:
    -we outhit them (barely)
    -we won more faceoffs (barely)
    -had more blocked shots
    -less giveaways
    -more takeaways

Despite all that (the Oilers were trying), I gotta give credit to the Hawks, they’re a great team and they know how to make a team look bad (see Calgary). These guys are scary and could win it all. I wouldn’t worry too much about tonight’s loss. They were a better team plain and simple.

The Blackhawks went hard and fast in the first few periods and that spooked us a bit… the third we got a bit more composed.

The Blackhawks dominated the game and dictated the play the whole time. The Oilers were just hanging on and trying to stop the bleeding. Thankfully Khabibulin (while a bit shakey in the start, from what I saw) held them in it quite well. But I don’t think there’s a lot of positives to draw from this one. I thought our defense was particularly atrocious. In our own end, it seemed like the Hawks forwards had no problems getting around our d-men and in nearly alone on Khabibulin.

I saw this one coming. I don’t base it on lack of effort, necessarily. They *are* (not were) a better team. They have a similar style as us, but in most areas they’ve got us beat. Quinn and Renney are going to have to think long and hard before the next match up as to how they can beat them, because it doesn’t look like they can beat them at their own game.

I know it sounds like I’m being all negative. I’m not at all worried about tonight’s game either. It was a bad game.. a team needs these to bring them down to reality every so often. They got lucky that the score was close. But I know that they can handle other teams quite well. It’s just again, the Hawks have a better team suited to the same style the Oilers play. Not a big deal though. Teams that play a game like the Blackhawks are in the minority. And you can’t win them all.

Racki: Ya, it would be nice to be able to have a decent community going here. I’ve tried to recruit as many OMB posters as I can think of that post good thoughts without the overly negative comments. The good thing about running our own site is I can easily install an idiot filter – you act like a douchebag, I ban you. So the guys that serve only to agitate people won’t last long around here.

Holy crap Racki, the OMB is going crazy right now – threads started for the sole purpose of attacking posters. I think I’m done with it, it’s no longer a hockey message board, at least not tonight.

Edit – I pretty much agree with your last comment – but I am a lot more optomistic the Oilers will bounce back from this loss better than they would have last year. It’s one game at a time and hopefully we’ll see some steady progress as the season unfolds.

Edit #2 – I don’t mean I am a lot more optomisitic than you are, I mean I’m a lot more optomistic this year than I was last year that the Oilers will bounce back better. If that makes any sense to anyone. I really need to get to bed, my brain is getting fuzzy.

22. Mr.Majestyk says:

What I look for most out of this team and the new coaching staff is that we learn something from the losses. Last year after every loss the players would be all sad and say that they have to learn from it and move on. The problem was they moved on but didn’t learn from it since it happened over and over again. I’m not saying we will guaranteed beat the Hawks next game, but since we’ve now played them this year, they should have a better idea of what they are up against and know what its going to take to beat them.

When I look at our team last year, I didn’t see an improvement all year. We played the same at the start of the season on. Other teams showed improvements, they had lines clicking as they became more familiar.

Last comment this morning. Do you think Penner will find himself on the top line against Minny? Quinn has used him there a couple times trying to get things going, but always went back to JFJ the next game. Not sure how many games in they will try something, but eventually they need to try something to get Hemsky going.

I’m not sure Mr.M. Hemsky really needs to get going, as you said, but I’m not sure it’ll matter who he plays with. It looks like he still hasn’t caught on to playing the team game that everyone else has bought into. And his individual game this year hasn’t been anywhere near good enough to make an impression on anyone (at least a good one). I am not one that thinks we should trade him though (that’s crazy), so don’t get me wrong. I just think that top line being mediocre is maybe even more Hemsky’s fault than it is Jacques’ fault. He’s also getting a little less ice time than he used to, and I think that’s been mostly taken away from the PP. But he still needs to find a way to be better. So I don’t know if Quinn will put Penner in JFJ’s spot.

Also, I think this team we’ve got now (with the current lines) can handle Minnesota. I don’t think they’ll need to juggle it up. But who knows. I would like to see the Horpensky line back together again sometime though. But at least Penner is still getting really good ice time.

Dude has got 5 points in 6 games! And tied for the team lead in shots.

He’s not dragging the first line down…

True that he’s still getting the points, but he doesn’t seem at all the same out there. Maybe I’m being overly critical because I know what he’s capable of, but he seems a little lost out there most of the time. But as I said, not worried about him. I just think that once his game is completely on track this team will be a lot more dangerous.

I’m telling you.

Penner Brule Hemsky would be magic.

then

Cogliano Horcoff Gagner
    Jacques O’Sullivan Comrie
    Stone Moreau Stortini

27. Trogdor says:

Hemsky didn’t have time or space last night to get going. He took a couple of pretty solid hits as well, and I imagine that takes him off his game whereas more physical stars would get fired up.

If people were getting on his case last night on the OMB, there should have been an abuse thread for most of the team.

The one thing that I do really like about this team though is that 4 lines each have potential to score. So one or two might be off on a given night, but there’s still the other lines that can get the job done.

Last night went so epically wrong because the team couldn’t defend its own zone against the high-flying Chicago offense. Plus guys were parked in Khabibulin’s personal bubble all night. With Souray and Staios back, this won’t be so big of a problem. I still think we need that one guy that will hurt people, plus bring a solid brand of defense. Can’t wait until Peckham is NHL-ready. Not sure if he’ll ever be that guy defensively, but one can hope.

Racki: The OMB is full of a lot of stupidity. Same with HFBoards. People always calling for some players head.

It wasn’t just calling for players heads last night, although that started it. There were actual threads started attacking posters – I’ve never seen that before. I’ve seen it in threads but not threads started for that purpose. One of them was 8 pages long and just name calling between posters all night long – and not just new users, some were long time users. They’re deleted now but they were still there as of a few hours ago. Just stupid, hopefully you never have to deal with that here.

32. Trogdor says:

Personal attacks won’t be tolerated here. It’s a place to share opinions and discuss the team. If people want to get into verbal abuse matches, they can exchange messenger IDs.

Steve-O: Last time I was on the Oilers message board or HF was about 2006. I can’t deal with stupid people well, and the blogs are much better anyways (easier to read, better written (outside of my shit), better discussions etc etc)

Agreed. This is why we all come to sites like this now. Much more intelligent and civilized.

LNOF: Wow, that’s crazy. I should have gone on just to take notes of who to avoid here. :P

Trogdor: d. This is why we all come to sites like this now. Much more intelligent and civilized.

Yah, what he said. We’ll lay the smack down on anyone that can’t be civil here.

Trogdor: Personal attacks won’t be tolerated here.It’s a place to share opinions and discuss the team.If people want to get into verbal abuse matches, they can exchange messenger IDs.

eff you, jerkoff.

hehe, just kidding. <3

Racki: LNOF: Wow, that’s crazy. I should have gone on just to take notes of who to avoid here. Yah, what he said. We’ll lay the smack down on anyone that can’t be civil here.

Watchout for gr8one….. :)

I’ve been trying to ban him for a while but he keeps changing IPs!

38. Horpensky says:

Posting in the OMB makes me feel stupid, so I post here to make me feel smart :D

But yeah Hemsky’s points aren’t indicative of how he’s playing. For example take a guy like Cogs, who seems to be creating chances and doing more when he dosesn’t have the puck. Hemsky on the other hand seems to be doing too much himself and turning the puck over. He’s used to getting ~20 mins a game and threading the puck through 3 players for the shot. We can’t do that anymore.

I think everyone needs to take a page from Penner’s books though. We won’t be scoring many clean Alexander Ovechkin goals, we just gotta put the puck at the net and create traffic there, you’ll never know what will happen (like Penner’s goal last night). Times like these wish we still had Smyth, he would be perfect for getting the greasy goals.

Yah, it’s cliche but this team will do its best when they are keeping it simple out there. So it’s no surprise that a couple of the guys who aren’t living up to potential are the ones who haven’t quite figured this out yet.

40. mrgod2u says:

We tried to beat them at their own game, but they are better at playing it because they are more practiced. We are like the Hawks were last year. Although I doubt we’ll get as far into the post-season.

41. OilerTyler says:

I still like what i see from our team

Only three teams in the league have scored more goals per game than our Oilers, and two of them have played Toronto. Another positive is that our goaltending is playing great, after a shaky start to the season. We are 14th in hits, 17th on the PK, and 11th on the powerplay. Those numbers aren’t great, but they are imrpovements from last year.

Should be a good year

Huge improvements over last year.

Yeah, this team has really improved, and its easy to tell that. They re gonna be a playoff team, and this game against Minny will say a lot. We can beat them too. We have to keep up with this style that Quinn is using!