Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I won’t be around today, but as usual, feel free to talk about the game before, during and after in this post. I’ll be leaving for Thanksgiving dinner #2 later this afternoon.
Tonight’s game starts at 6PM and is televised on Sportsnet.
The Oilers are coming off a win over the Canadiens on Saturday. While the Oilers were pretty strong through the 2nd period, they could barely hang on to the lead, drawing attention from Coach Pat Quinn. “In the first four games, we’ve given up points in the last minute of two games… again, the last shift of the second period,” Quinn said. “That’s when you have to get mentally tough. That’s when you don’t lose the battles. That’s not the time for pretty stuff. Keep what you got. It’s like the old pool hustlers. It’s not what you make, it’s what you save. When you’re leaving ducks out there for the other guy to ram home, Fast Eddie is going to reach in your pocket.”
The Predators, meanwhile, come off a tough loss 1-0 loss vs. the Sabres on Saturday in which Rinne stopped 41 of 42 shots. The Predators have struggled so far this season to find any scoring past their top line of Arnott, Hornqvist and Sullivan. The trio have scored all five of the teams goals in the three games played by the Predators this season.
Edmonton Oilers Projected Line-up
Nashville Predators Projected Line-up
Sheldon Souray was put on IR today, and Taylor Chorney has been called up in his place. Steve Staios is also said to be feeling the effects of the hit against Dallas by James Neal. Chorney will likely draw in for today’s game. We should know a bit later on when the Oilers have their practice. The Edmonton Journal figures Souray will miss at least the next 2 games. Today’s practice is currently underway and both Staios and Chorney are on the ice.
Jordin Tootoo has spent this season in the press box so far with a hip-flexor injury. So we won’t be hearing any stupid whistles tonight other than the one from the referees/linesmen.
To follow the game.
Steve-O adding the following…I assume that Racki will still rant about something:
Horcoff from Hemsky and JFJ
Brule from Penner and Smid
Stortini from Comrie and Chorney
Stortini from Cogliano and Strudwick
Cogliano from O’Sullivan
Grebeshkov from Penner and Brule
Nashville goal Arnott from Hornqvist and Hamhuis
1st Period – Stortini + Grant
Oil had 6 penalties (all killed), Preds had 3 (1 converted)
Edit by Racki.. right you are 😛 I just watched the game on PVR.. avoided the radio/TV and this site until I finished watching the game.. took notes the whole way (amazing how much I can write when I can pause the game willingly). I have to stay up past midnight to do some work (thank you to the coworker that scheduled this for holiday monday.. boo-urns). Anyways, without further ado:
1ST PERIOD SUMMARY
7:11 – EDM – Horcoff from Hemsky, Jacques
Hemsky and Horcoff get a 2 on 1. Hemsky feathers a pass over to Horcoff for the one timer, and he blasts one past Rinne.
11:02 – EDM – Brule from Penner, Smid
Penner weaves his way into the Nashvile zone and ifres a backhand pass to the front of the net where Brule is cutting in with coverage. However, Brule makes a nice tip to get it on net past Rinne.
13:58 – EDM – PPG – Stortini from Comrie, Chorney
Stortini steps on the ice near the end of the PP. He grinds it out in the corner and parks himself in front of the net. Comrie gets the puck behind the net and fires a blind backpass out front and Stortini buries it like he’s a 50 goal scorer through the wickets.
19:32 – EDM – Stortini – Unassisted (I saw it as being from Cogliano, Strudwick)
Oh man.. Stortini looked incredible on this play… he received the pass from Cogliano, barrelled in from the left circle hash mark and fired a backhand past Rinne, blocker side, with two defenders collapsing in on him. Beautiful goal! It was funny to see him get tackled to the ground just as he scored.. and then pop up out of the pile of bodies with his arm raised.
– Grant and Stortini have an epic tilt. I give this one to Stortini who looks to have cut up grant with some big punches he was throwing. He landed quite a few.. one of Stortini’s better scraps and this one lasted a while, which allowed Grant back into the fight.
– 4th line has a nice shift shortly after the goal in which Moreau, Stortini and Cogliano all look physical out there.
2ND PERIOD SUMMARY
2:07 – EDM – Cogliano from O’Sullivan
Hamhuis gives it away to O’Sullivan at the Nashville blueline. O’Sullivan passes it to Cogliano who skates in with speed. The Nashville defender slides at Cogliano who breaks around him and past a sprawling Ellis and slides a backhand in the net past Ellis’ pad.
17:57 – EDM – Grebeshkov from Penner, Brule
Penner wins a battle along the boards and fires it to Grebeshkov. Grebeshkov gets the pass at the faceoff circle to Ellis’ left, and dekes a defender who is sliding at him out of his jock and goes backhand over Ellis’ glove. I’m not sure what these guys are doing tonight, but they look like the Harlem Globetrotters of hockey.
19:11 – NSH – Arnott from Hornqvist, Hamhuis.
Hornqvist and Arnott play give and go. When Arnott gets it back, he tips it past JDD.
– Ellis starts in goal this period.
– Comrie and Brule get a two on one. Comrie fakes the pass to Brule and then makes a nice deke on Ellis but can’t get it past him. Brule tries to poke at the rebound but Ellis stops that as well.
– Kevin Quinn mentions that Comrie is on a 5-game point streak.
– Bouillon roughs up Brule behind the net. Somehow this ends up being a 4-on-4 situation. I guess credit to the refs for making that decision since the game is a bit out of hand (5-0 Oilers at this point) and Brule did fight back a bit.
– Horcoff and Jacques get a 2 on 1 with Erat back. Horcoff gets a decent shot off but Ellis makes the save. Jacques gets tackled into the end boards by Erat, reminiscent of the Souray injury. Erat earns an interference penalty and Jacques gives him a shot afterwards.
3RD PERIOD SUMMARY
– Weber destroys the shit out of a puck that just about rips the glove off of JDD’s hand. Boy can he bomb it. He’s up there with Souray.
– Sullivan somehow sneaks past the entire Oiler defence and gets in all alone on JDD. Jdd pokes the puck and then holds onto it for the whistle. Nicely played. Aside from perhaps one gaffe behind the net in the 1st (miscommunication with the defense when he came out to play it – he left it behind the net while the defense were waiting in the corners), he’s been on the top of his game tonight.
– Smid does a good job handling the big Jason Arnott a couple of times in this period, preventing at least one scoring chance.
– Wilson does some spin-o-rama move and fires it to the slot where Ward fires a blast on net. Quinn thinks it went in the net it was so perfectly wired, however it’s actually in JDD’s glove. What a fantastic, Grant Fuhr-like save as he has the legs spread out and whips the glove out.
– Why am I still hearing the “Tootoo Train” whistle in the crowd??? He’s not here, douchebag.
– Hemsky is still trying to do everything with the puck, but nothing is happening. The play is really dying on his stick. I have no doubts he’ll find his true form eventually, but it’s definitely not there yet, in full.
– JDD gets the first star stopping 40 of 41 saves. Stortini gets star 2 for his 2 goals and a fight. Cogliano is the 3rd star with a goal and an assist.
EDM PP1 – GOAL
Unit 1 – Gagner, Horcoff, Hemsky with Gilbert and Grebeshkov. Shrot chance in which nothing really happens. Unit 2 – Penner, Comrie, O’Sullivan with Gilbert and Visnovsky. Not much happens here again, other than one quality point shot from Gilbert. Stortini and Moreau eventually get out to join Comrie and Stortini ends up scoring tonight’s 3rd goal.
NSH PP1 – NO GOAL
PK Unit 1 – Horcoff, Penner, Grebs, Gilbert. Well killed as the puck spends most of the time in the Nashville zone. Unit 2 – O’Sullivan, Stone, Smid, Strudwick. 1st unit comes back out and gets hemmed in their zone. Nashville gets one fairly good sequence, in which JDD stones Jones a couple of times point blank.
NSH PP2 – NO GOAL
Unit 1 – Horcoff Penner, Gilbert, Grebs. Gets hemmed in their own zone again and Nashville gets a few good point shots on net (Weber/Arnott).
Unit 2 – O’Sullivan, Stone, Strudwick, Chorney. Nashville briefly sets up in the zone and Klein gets a point shot in on net which JDD easily saves. After the next faceoff, the Oilers dump it out and again once the puck is brought in.
NSH PP3 – NO GOAL
Unit 1 – Penner, Horcoff, with Smid, Strudwick. Nashville doesn’t get much opportunity to set up in the zone.
Unit 2 – Stone and O’Sullivan. JDD butterflies and stops a couple of shots from in close.
Unit 3 – Penner, Horcoff with Grebs/Gilbert. There’s a big scrum in front of the Oilers net with the Preds banging away at it, but somehow JDD keeps it out but loses his stick briefly and manages to make a save from a point shot without his stick. Penner dives to poke it down the ice at the blueline.
EDM PP2 – NO GOAL
Unit 1 – Gagner Horcoff Hemsky with Grebs/Gilbert. The Oilers pass it around a bit but can’t get any quality chance before Nashville gets it out. They come back in the zone again and set up. Hemsky gets it over to Grebs who fires it off a Predator stick and out of the solar system.
Unit 2 – Penner Comrie O’Sullivan with Chorney/Visnovsky. Briefly break the zone and get forced back out. Come back in and set up. Just as the penalty ends Comrie gets it from behind the goal line (I think he’s trying to take over Gretzky’s office) and passes it back to Penner who gets a nice chance, but Ellis stops it.
NSH PP4 – NO GOAL
Unit 1 – Penner/Horcoff with Grebs/Gilbert. Preds can’t set up on their first chance and the Oil clear it. Forwards switch up.
Unit 2 – Stone/O’Sullivan, same defence. Boo birds come out. Lots of cycling by the Preds, but they can’t really set up before O’Sully dumps it out.
Unit 3 – Moreau/Cogliano with Strudwick and Chorney. Again not much from the Preds other than some battling along the boards. The Oil eventually get it out and finish off the kill.
NSH PP5 – NO GOAL
Unit 1 – Penner/Horcoff with Gilbert/Grebs. Horcoff wins the draw and they get it out right away. Nashville gets back in the zone, gets one shot on goal and then Horcoff gets it to Penner for the clear.
Unit 2 – Moreau/Cogliano with Strudwick/Smid. Weber gets a blast on net and JDD makes the save. One more shot on goal for the Preds and then Moreau clears.
Unit 3 – O’Sully/Brule with Gilbert/Grebs. The Preds get a couple of chances but no shots on goal in this attempt.
NSH PP6 – NO GOAL
Unit 1 – O’Sullivan/Stone with Strudwick/Smid. After a couple of attempts, the Oil get it out of the zone. No chances generated.
Unit 2 – Moreau/Cogliano with Gilbert/Grebeshkov. The Preds set up and Hornqvist gets in one on one with JDD and fires it wide. Weber gets the puck at the point and drives it on net for the easy save.
Unit 1 back out. O’Sully wins the draw and the puck is dumped down the ice. The Predators get one chance on net here before the horn for the end of the game.
48 Responses to “GDT – Oilers 6, Predators 1 – Oct 12, 2009 – Game 5”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.