GDT – Oilers 2, Flames 5 – Oct 24, 2009 – Game 10

By , October 24, 2009 10:09 am
GDT - Edmonton Oilers at Calgary Flames

GDT - Edmonton Oilers at Calgary Flames

It’s Battle of Alberta time again, as the Oilers head into the Saddledome for the first time this year. The two teams have already met twice this year, with the Flames winning both games. Both games were very close games. As many will recall, the first game was the game in which Khabibulin bobbled the puck in the dying seconds of a tie game and gave it away to David Moss for the easy goal. The second game was also a close one in which the Flames won in the shootout.

The Flames are coming off of a 6-3 win over Columbus all the way back on Tuesday, whereas the Oilers also beat Columbus 6-4 with the story of the game being the play of the new top line of Penner, Gagner and Hemsky. The Flames are hot at home (4-1-0), while the Oilers are 1-1-0 in only 2 road games so far this year.

Expecting retribution?
From the Edmonton Journal:

There has been lots of talk of retribution for Flames’ captain Jarome Iginla after he accidentally stuck his stick between Souray’s skates and the Oilers’ defenceman plowed face-first into the boards. Souray hasn’t returned and this is the first meeting since that Oct. 8 incident, but Iginla still seems upset it happened. He contacted Souray shortly after it happened to say he was sorry.

“I texted him … I’d want to do that with anybody who was out, but especially when you know somebody pretty well,” said Iginla, who knows he made a mistake sticking his blade between Souray’s feet.

“I have a history with Sheldon. I played junior against him when I was in Kamloops and we see each other in Edmonton (in the summer).”

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

22.9PP%28.6
80.6PK%76.5
24.9S/G23.6
33.3SA/G32.8
49.1FO%46.5

GAME NOTES

– So far it looks like Brule is still out, and Comrie is questionable. Rumor now (mentioned by Horpesnky and LateNightOilfan) is that Jacques is showing flu symptoms as well, so needless to say the line-ups above will likely change (and resident Flame-fan DropIt will probably have a better idea of the line up for Calgary).
– One thing to note is that it’s expected that the Oilers will assemble a bruiser line together with Strudwick, Stortini and MacIntyre together. The Flames also have a few weapons in their arsenal as well, including Brian McGrattan and Brandon Prust. Should be a rough affair tonight. Will there be retribution directed at Iginla? Doubtful. I don’t think it’s necessary, but the two teams will likely play a very rough game.
– Watch this post for more updates later throughout the day, including line-up updates.

1ST PERIOD SUMMARY

2:25 – EDM – PP – Visnovsky from Hemsky, Gagner
Passing clinic by the Oil as Gagner feeds it down below the goal line to Hemsky, who cross seams it to Visnovsky who makes no mistake on his shot, ripping it past Kipper.
11:54 – CGY – SH – Bourque from Langkow
Grebeshkov tries to keep it in at the Flames blue line, but gets bodied off the puck (read: cross-checked in the back) and Bourque and Langkow come in 2-on-1 on Gilbert. Langkow passes it across to Bourque who puts it away.

Other Highlights
– McGrattan and MacIntyre go at it. What a fight. McGrattan gets the big edge early on, landing a few big shots (and getting a cut on MacIntyre’s forehead). Credit to MacIntyre for outlasting McGrattan though and getting several shots in at the end. Slight edge to McGrattan for the damage he caused on MacIntyre.
– Penner still looking great tonight, driving to the net with the puck, playing agressive with and without the puck.
– Iginla dumps the puck in at the Oilers’ bench… a few seconds later, Stortini hits him and Iginla falls back against the boards. This draws some sparring in front of the bench.. and Iggy gets the penalty. Bad call on that play, but the refs apparently missed Iggy high-sticking Stortini anyways.

2ND PERIOD SUMMARY

3:53 – CGY – Dawes from Bourque and Langkow
Flames cycle it down low, Bourque tries to wrap around it into the net and inadvertently passes it hard to Dawes who is in the slot and blasts it past Khabibulin.

4:29 – CGY – Nystrom from Boyd
Flames again are pouring on the heat. Boyd strips the puck away from Gilbert and drives it to net and gets a shot on goal. The rebound comes to Nystrom, who puts it into the yawning cage.

10:23 – CGY – PPG – Moss from Phaneuf, Iginla
Phaneuf slaps it from the point. It’s a high shot that Moss tips in past Khabibulin. The play is reviewed, but the call on the ice (goal) stands.

18:35 – EDM – PPG – Penner from Hemsky, Gagner
Oenner battles in front of the net and manages to jam it past Kipper while fighting off Regehr.

Other Highlights
– Khabibulin makes some spectacular back to back saves on a delayed penalty call to Ladislav Smid. On the same shift, Smid goes ape-shit, roughing up Rene Bourque. He adds to his penalty time.
– Gilbert is looking pretty sloppy out there. Although he made a great defensive play in the first period, he’s been weak on the puck all night. On the Flames powerplay, he also makes a lazy pass over to Grebeshkov behind the net that is easily intercepted for a Flames chance.
– JFJ starts throwing at Johnson in front of the net after being cross-cheked by him. Another fight breaks out in the background. Smid goes at it with Giordano. Smid removes the helmet, Giordano keeps his on. I score this one for Smid, as he landed 3 by my count and Giordano threw them early but didn’t land anything.
– Flames take a couple of penalties near the end of the period, so they will start the 3rd with a 5-on-3

3RD PERIOD SUMMARY

12:27 – CGY – PPG – Dawes from Bourque, Regehr
Dawes gets it down low on the circle to Khabibulin’s left and just beat’s Khabibulin cleanly.

Other Highlights
– Oilers start the period with a 5-on-3 for a bit, then 3 minutes of 5-on-4.
– Chorney makes a nice play dangling around one of the Flames and carrying the puck in for a shot on goal.
– I think I hear the collective sound of Flames-universe booing as Penner gets away with an accidental high stick on Boyd that cuts him open.
– O’Sullivan absolutely robbed by Kipper who flashes the glove, or as Mark Lee calls it “and O’Sullivan needs therapy!”
– Oilers defensive depth being tested all night. Grebeshkov and Gilbert, to me, have looked horrid out there. This team misses Souray and Staios.
– Flames completely smothering the Oilers.. they can’t do anything now in the final few minutes.

254 Responses to “GDT – Oilers 2, Flames 5 – Oct 24, 2009 – Game 10”

Penner got away with one on Boyd.

2. OilerTyler says:

Racki: Penner got away with one on Boyd.

I think he was stick checked by the other Flame on him, which is the only reason why his stick went up. I could be wrong though.

OilerTyler:
    I think he was stick checked by the other Flame on him, which is the only reason why his stick went up.I could be wrong though.

4. OilerTyler says:

Racki: Yes, but still a penalty. Accident or not, still a penalty. So we got lucky.. would have been 4 mins.

Ah ok, i was unclear on the rule. I figured if a Flame knocks Penners stick into another Flames face, it was the fault of the first Flame.

I hate how there are more Flames fans in the OMB GDT than Oilers fans

5. Trogdor says:

Penner continues to impress.

Grebeshkov continues to get burned all night.

7. Trogdor says:

Nice save, and what about the cheap shot on Sully?

8. DropIt says:

Ya, I was kind of shocked that wasn’t called. Kipper robs that POS :P

9. Trogdor says:

Maybe he’ll score to exact revenge

lol@ ” and O’Sullivan needs therapy”

OilerTyler:
    Ah ok, i was unclear on the rule.I figured if a Flame knocks Penners stick into another Flames face, it was the fault of the first Flame.I hate how there are more Flames fans in the OMB GDT than Oilers fans

This is the first sign of the apocalypse and the OMB suckery.

12. Trogdor says:

No more passes to the slot please.

Good job making stupid decisions out there Chopper. *glare*

14. OilerTyler says:

Racki: This is the first sign of the apocalypse and the OMB suckery.

The admins need to do a better job, they are the same trolls every game, but they don’t do anything about them.

Ungh… sloppy penalty is right.

16. DropIt says:

OilerTyler:

I can say that one of the Admin’s is undergoing some bad “real life” stuff right now. So that doesn’t help. Really there was only ever 2.. maybe 3 Admins that ever did anything there too. Since the change in board software, no one really seems to like it there anymore, including the Admins… so that doesn’t help either.

18. Trogdor says:

Laughing at the lack of thinking by Grebs… Thanks Mr. Commentator.

DropIt: The Oilers lack of defensive experience is starting to show late in the game… Injuries may finally be catching up, at least tonight

I honestly think Gilbert/Grebeshkov is our weakest defensive pairing.. but Quinn has gone with them from almost the start of the season. They’ve been paired a lot, and I’m not sure why… they’re brutal together on a lot of nights. The offensive prowess doesn’t make up for the defensive blunders.

20. Trogdor says:

Thought something bad would happen when our guy was lying on his back…

Has Peckham really been out there lately? Looks like Strudwick has replaced him on the blueline after shortening the bench.

Ahh shit, another one.

22. DropIt says:

Nigel!

23. Trogdor says:

Had to rewind to see if there was a bit of trip there, but looked like he just lost his feet. Damn slippery ice.

Nevermind Peckham is back out there. Guess Quinn is just working the blender a bit with that 4th line, inserting Strudwick/Stortini anywhere.

25. OilerTyler says:

I think our injuries are starting to catch up to us.

26. Trogdor says:

We still have that timeout?

OilerTyler: I think our injuries are starting to catch up to us.

Yah, DropIt called it too… this team looks weak defensively without Staios/Souray and always has since they were out. However, we had the firepower to keep up with any team. But the depth of this team is getting tested too much now.

28. DropIt says:

That is easily the worst pairing tonight Racki, your right…

Trogdor: We still have that timeout?

At this point, I’d mail it in.. although we did have that one 3-0 comeback in the final 5 mins of the 3rd way back in 97.. :P Don’t see that happening here though.

30. DropIt says:

Has Lanny even trimmed that thing since ’89?

31. Trogdor says:

Are these nets regulation or what!?!?

32. Trogdor says:

Blind pass by Moreau. At least we were in their end.

DropIt: That is easily the worst pairing tonight Racki, your right…Strudwick, though isn’t looking to good out there either… I was trying to point out more that Staios and Sourray look like huge losses tonight

Oh yah for sure, they feel the loss of Souray/Staios. Not just tonight either. This team has offensive defenceman depth, but definitely not defensive d-man depth. Take away Souray and Staios and Grebs and Gilbert are now playing 22+ per night. Not a fan of that. Makes there mistakes just a bit more frequent when they’re playing top lines that much.

And Strudwick has always been brutal.. nothing new there.

34. Trogdor says:

Hemsky took someone down?

35. OilerTyler says:

Trogdor: Hemsky took someone down?

The commentators just said that the Flame annihilated Hemsky there

SEND OUT THE GOONS! lol (kidding)

OilerTyler:
    The commentators just said that the Flame annihilated Hemsky there

I was actually surprised on that one.. Hemsky should have been murdered on that hit, but he stood up to whoever that was that hit him. Could have been an ugly hit.

Well on a good note, Glencross did shit all!

Dustin Penner on After Hours could be good for some comedy.

40. Trogdor says:

OilerTyler:
    The commentators just said that the Flame annihilated Hemsky there

Not from what I saw. Could have annihilated him, but Hemsky saw him just in time. Not sure how I feel about the guy going off behind him and all of a sudden someone’s over the boards in front of him, but nothing bad came of it.

Finally, the horn. Good first period, but downhill from there. Time for me to go, but good watching with everyone. See ya next game.

I’m going to miss tomorrow’s game, unfortunately. Going to see Dane Cook. But I’ll catch the game in an hour on SNet.

42. Hockey Noob says:

Well, tough loss for the Oilers. I looked that the shot locations and they confirmed what I saw tonight. The Oilers had a really difficult time getting shots off near Calgary’s net with Calgary’s big dmen.

Too many defensive lapses tonight.

Yup, I’ve been saying it all along though.. the Oilers really need a shutdown d-man (or two). Steve Staios and Sheldon Souray are big losses for the team, but even so, I wish they would have picked up a solid defensive defenceman and moved someone.

Why does Sutter sound so much like Rain Man

I missed the entire “GDT” but one of the positives, on the Oilers side, from the game was the play of Chorney. He may have been held of the stat sheet but wow, I think we have another solid prospect. The last couple of games I’ve watched him with a close eye and in this game I’ve noticed a few solid moves and even a pretty nice dangle.

Peckham wasn’t as much of an impact as I thought and Penner seems to keep rolling. The Oilers had their chances this game and even hit a few posts but just couldn’t capitalize. It was pretty entertaining going into the third but after the slip from Grebber it was kinda downhill from there. I’d like to see a full lineup for the next B.O.A.

Pardon me for sounding human, but while Sutter seems robotic on this After Hours interview at times, it’s a bit touching to hear that he couldn’t even look at the screen when they were showing him his son getting caught in the train tracks with his head down.

I can’t help but think that if it were me, my dad would have said something along the lines of “serves my kid right for not keeping his head up.” lol

well, on a good note, looks like I’ve sealed an 11-0 victory over DropIt in this weeks match up. :P

Racki: Zack: agree. Chorney was rock solid, and Penner was good yet again. And yes, I too was expecting more from Peckham. He wasn’t bad or anything, in my opinion. I just hoped he would have been a physical force, and he wasn’t.

Yeah I was kinda wishing Peckham would have thrown his weight around and get in a scrap even. And man, I loved the way Smid got involved tonight and I really wish I could show off my Smid set. =p

On that note too, we needed a solid defensive defensmen like mentioned before. Souray could have used his cannon and Staios could have been blocking a few shots. Oh and I thought of a positive for Horc, it’s kinda pathetic coming up with all these positives since we didn’t come out with a win but he usually plays a full season. He also did block a few shots tonight but that should have been left to the defensemen.

50. Horpensky says:

yeah I kinda expected him to beat someone’s face in. But it’s his first game, kinda takes a game or two to get adjusted, and being thrown into the BOA would be very confusing.

Anyways I miss rookie Gilbert. Only 13 mins TOI tonight.