GDT – Oilers 2, Flames 5 – Oct 24, 2009 – Game 10

By , October 24, 2009 10:09 am
GDT - Edmonton Oilers at Calgary Flames

GDT - Edmonton Oilers at Calgary Flames

It’s Battle of Alberta time again, as the Oilers head into the Saddledome for the first time this year. The two teams have already met twice this year, with the Flames winning both games. Both games were very close games. As many will recall, the first game was the game in which Khabibulin bobbled the puck in the dying seconds of a tie game and gave it away to David Moss for the easy goal. The second game was also a close one in which the Flames won in the shootout.

The Flames are coming off of a 6-3 win over Columbus all the way back on Tuesday, whereas the Oilers also beat Columbus 6-4 with the story of the game being the play of the new top line of Penner, Gagner and Hemsky. The Flames are hot at home (4-1-0), while the Oilers are 1-1-0 in only 2 road games so far this year.

Expecting retribution?
From the Edmonton Journal:

There has been lots of talk of retribution for Flames’ captain Jarome Iginla after he accidentally stuck his stick between Souray’s skates and the Oilers’ defenceman plowed face-first into the boards. Souray hasn’t returned and this is the first meeting since that Oct. 8 incident, but Iginla still seems upset it happened. He contacted Souray shortly after it happened to say he was sorry.

“I texted him … I’d want to do that with anybody who was out, but especially when you know somebody pretty well,” said Iginla, who knows he made a mistake sticking his blade between Souray’s feet.

“I have a history with Sheldon. I played junior against him when I was in Kamloops and we see each other in Edmonton (in the summer).”

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

22.9PP%28.6
80.6PK%76.5
24.9S/G23.6
33.3SA/G32.8
49.1FO%46.5

GAME NOTES

– So far it looks like Brule is still out, and Comrie is questionable. Rumor now (mentioned by Horpesnky and LateNightOilfan) is that Jacques is showing flu symptoms as well, so needless to say the line-ups above will likely change (and resident Flame-fan DropIt will probably have a better idea of the line up for Calgary).
– One thing to note is that it’s expected that the Oilers will assemble a bruiser line together with Strudwick, Stortini and MacIntyre together. The Flames also have a few weapons in their arsenal as well, including Brian McGrattan and Brandon Prust. Should be a rough affair tonight. Will there be retribution directed at Iginla? Doubtful. I don’t think it’s necessary, but the two teams will likely play a very rough game.
– Watch this post for more updates later throughout the day, including line-up updates.

1ST PERIOD SUMMARY

2:25 – EDM – PP – Visnovsky from Hemsky, Gagner
Passing clinic by the Oil as Gagner feeds it down below the goal line to Hemsky, who cross seams it to Visnovsky who makes no mistake on his shot, ripping it past Kipper.
11:54 – CGY – SH – Bourque from Langkow
Grebeshkov tries to keep it in at the Flames blue line, but gets bodied off the puck (read: cross-checked in the back) and Bourque and Langkow come in 2-on-1 on Gilbert. Langkow passes it across to Bourque who puts it away.

Other Highlights
– McGrattan and MacIntyre go at it. What a fight. McGrattan gets the big edge early on, landing a few big shots (and getting a cut on MacIntyre’s forehead). Credit to MacIntyre for outlasting McGrattan though and getting several shots in at the end. Slight edge to McGrattan for the damage he caused on MacIntyre.
– Penner still looking great tonight, driving to the net with the puck, playing agressive with and without the puck.
– Iginla dumps the puck in at the Oilers’ bench… a few seconds later, Stortini hits him and Iginla falls back against the boards. This draws some sparring in front of the bench.. and Iggy gets the penalty. Bad call on that play, but the refs apparently missed Iggy high-sticking Stortini anyways.

2ND PERIOD SUMMARY

3:53 – CGY – Dawes from Bourque and Langkow
Flames cycle it down low, Bourque tries to wrap around it into the net and inadvertently passes it hard to Dawes who is in the slot and blasts it past Khabibulin.

4:29 – CGY – Nystrom from Boyd
Flames again are pouring on the heat. Boyd strips the puck away from Gilbert and drives it to net and gets a shot on goal. The rebound comes to Nystrom, who puts it into the yawning cage.

10:23 – CGY – PPG – Moss from Phaneuf, Iginla
Phaneuf slaps it from the point. It’s a high shot that Moss tips in past Khabibulin. The play is reviewed, but the call on the ice (goal) stands.

18:35 – EDM – PPG – Penner from Hemsky, Gagner
Oenner battles in front of the net and manages to jam it past Kipper while fighting off Regehr.

Other Highlights
– Khabibulin makes some spectacular back to back saves on a delayed penalty call to Ladislav Smid. On the same shift, Smid goes ape-shit, roughing up Rene Bourque. He adds to his penalty time.
– Gilbert is looking pretty sloppy out there. Although he made a great defensive play in the first period, he’s been weak on the puck all night. On the Flames powerplay, he also makes a lazy pass over to Grebeshkov behind the net that is easily intercepted for a Flames chance.
– JFJ starts throwing at Johnson in front of the net after being cross-cheked by him. Another fight breaks out in the background. Smid goes at it with Giordano. Smid removes the helmet, Giordano keeps his on. I score this one for Smid, as he landed 3 by my count and Giordano threw them early but didn’t land anything.
– Flames take a couple of penalties near the end of the period, so they will start the 3rd with a 5-on-3

3RD PERIOD SUMMARY

12:27 – CGY – PPG – Dawes from Bourque, Regehr
Dawes gets it down low on the circle to Khabibulin’s left and just beat’s Khabibulin cleanly.

Other Highlights
– Oilers start the period with a 5-on-3 for a bit, then 3 minutes of 5-on-4.
– Chorney makes a nice play dangling around one of the Flames and carrying the puck in for a shot on goal.
– I think I hear the collective sound of Flames-universe booing as Penner gets away with an accidental high stick on Boyd that cuts him open.
– O’Sullivan absolutely robbed by Kipper who flashes the glove, or as Mark Lee calls it “and O’Sullivan needs therapy!”
– Oilers defensive depth being tested all night. Grebeshkov and Gilbert, to me, have looked horrid out there. This team misses Souray and Staios.
– Flames completely smothering the Oilers.. they can’t do anything now in the final few minutes.

254 Responses to “GDT – Oilers 2, Flames 5 – Oct 24, 2009 – Game 10”

I’ve got the PVR all lined up on the Mac/McG fight to get a second look at it.

2. Hockey Noob says:

I am not a fan of Iggy running our goalie a minute into the game–except that it lead to a pp goal. So much for Iggy’s “clean player” reputation.

3. Trogdor says:

The more time he spends in the box the better.

Man, some of these Oilers have seeing-eye passes.. that cross seam was just sick.. tape to tape from gilbert.

5. Trogdor says:

Cross check?

And then there is tape to net, by the Flames, shorthanded.. argh.

7. DropIt says:

RENE!

8. Trogdor says:

Poor decision by Grebs, but the hit right between the numbers? Damn… Time to get one back.

Is it ok to say that Horcoff looks a bit better tonight? I know Lee/whatshisformergoaltenderface said that he looks “tentative” on the shot, but I like that line so far.

Trogdor: Yah, that could have been a penalty, but not likely while we’re on the PP.

11. Trogdor says:

They’re holding their own so far. Playing well, and some nice possession time in the Flames end. Confident looking bunch of flu ridden replacements.

12. DropIt says:

Effing work… I’m going to miss the first period :( sounds fairly entertaining so far. Although it sounds like the Oilers are controlling the majority of the play

13. Trogdor says:

Nice chance for Penner, Hemsky getting physical too.

14. OilerTyler says:

Nice trip by the Flames

Come on.. no call on the trip.. well hopefully that’s just a sign the whole game will be relatively penalty free.

Why is a goaltender giving stickhandling advice to a forward. Or was it directed towards another goalie? I didn’t catch who he was talking to, but they zoomed in on O’Sully after he said it.

17. Trogdor says:

They were talking about Patty O and having a longer stick.

18. Trogdor says:

Let’s see what happened there!

hahahnice, I gotta see this replay.. Stortini hits Iginla on the way to a line change?

20. OilerTyler says:

This is why I love Stortini

21. DropIt says:

I am hearing a tonne of “Grebeshkov, turns it over.”

At least 3 times

Sounds like Stortini took a cheapshot at Iggy, and Iggy busted him up.

Iggy is pissed off now…

Nice hit, I love it.. lol He let up, but still awesome to see, especially since Iginla is the one that got the penalty. haha

23. Trogdor says:

Clean hit. Pay attention Iggy! Back in the box where I like him.

24. Trogdor says:

Cheapshot DropIt? You must be listening to Calgary announcers.

It was a moderately late hit.. and Stortini let up. If he was going for retribution, Iggy would have been climbing out of the Oilers bench.

26. OilerTyler says:

Trogdor: Cheapshot DropIt? You must be listening to Calgary announcers.

Yeah, i bet the Calgary announcers also failed to mention that the Calgary goal was scored because they cross checked Grebeshkov

27. DropIt says:

I heard the hit was clean, but pretty late…

Honestly, I’m not too upset, we know what Iggy does when he gets worked up ;)

28. Trogdor says:

He was admiring his pass… Wasn’t all that much to admire though.

Ahh hell, it wasn’t even a late hit at all. Just watched the replay again. Due to the slow motion replay, it seemed a little later than it was. Iginla should stop admiring his dump-ins.

30. DropIt says:

31. Trogdor says:

Good first period and living up to the billing of a battle. Should be pretty close all game the way things are going.

The Battle of Alberta, heating up on Putting on the Foil! lol DropIt, you need to recruit some Flames fans to show up here for BoA nights (ones that are level-headed such as yourself, so it doesn’t get too out of hand) to stick up for your Flames with you.

Anyways, this is a great game so far. The hit on Iggy was pretty clean. To be honest, Iggy dumped it in, and was facing towards the Oil zone, he turned and Stortini hit him in the chest and he fell back against the boards. Really, it looked like Stortini even layed off a bit or it could have been pretty painful.

33. DropIt says:

Don’t kid yourselves, I’m listening to 960, not 630… They just mentioned that the Bourque goal could have easily been called. They just mentioned how inconsistant the refs have been so far.

DropIt: I also heard that Iggy got called for Goalie interference, and Penner was let off after doing the same thing….

At the risk of sounding like a homer, Iggy’s interference was very blatant. He didn’t even have the puck (in Penner’s case, he was carrying the puck and just bumped into Kipper). Iggy didn’t have the puck, cut into the crease and landed on top of Khabibulin.

35. Trogdor says:

For the most part the refs are spectators tonight so far. The game has been pretty clean too though.

DropIt: Don’t kid yourselves, I’m listening to 960, not 630… They just mentioned that the Bourque goal could have easily been called.They just mentioned how inconsistant the refs have been so far.Also iit sounded like Iggy was heading off the ice. I’m not giving my opinion here, this is just what I’m hearing

37. Trogdor says:

Uh oh, Booth got rocked. I might be shopping for a forward.

38. DropIt says:

Well at least Iggys getting into the game :P. Sounded like he cut open Stortini too… I expect he comes flying out of the box next period if it gets killed off.

39. OilerTyler says:

Racki: Hey we know you’re just relaying what you’re hearing on the radio… no one is criticizing what you are saying or accusing you of being a homer or anything. Accusing the radio announcers of being homers, possibly. And well, quite frankly I think we’re showing some homerism ourselves too. At any rate, your posts are appreciated here, so don’t take any offense to anyone defending what you’re hearing on the radio.

I am the definition of homerism sometimes. Thats why I only post places where the audience is mostly Oilers fans.

Let me put the Stortini on Iggy hit this way. Replace Iggy with Hemsky, and Stortini with Phaneuf, and us Oil fans are calling it a late hit, and Flames fans are calling it a good clean hit and Hemsky should be keeping his head up. It was on the border.. not a dirty hit, but one that could have gone either way (penalty or not)

DropIt: Well at least Iggys getting into the game :P .Sounded like he cut open Stortini too… I expect he comes flying out of the box next period if it gets killed off.

The announcers say Iggy high sticked Stortini earlier in the shift, but I didn’t see it.

Trogdor: Uh oh, Booth got rocked.I might be shopping for a forward.

I missed the recent replay, but if they didn’t show it, he was carted off on a stretcher.. not likely in good shape. IR time

43. Trogdor says:

They replayed it, but it didn’t look like Storts reacted much to it, hence the non call probably.

I’d much rather see Iggy slowly skate back to the bench in shame after an Oilers PP goal.

44. Trogdor says:

I see J M Liles is on IR now too. The injuries are piling up early this year.

Racki:

Game on… 1:50 left in the penalty

46. Trogdor says:

Pull the trigger already!

47. OilerTyler says:

The Flames fans on CalgaryPuck are hilarious, and the Oilers fans trolling them are even more hilarious. Right now they are comparing Stortini’s hit on Iginla to Iginla’s slew foot on Souray.

Ok, I don’t remember MacTavish putting Stortini on the PP.

-1 Quinn.

49. OilerTyler says:

Nilsson looked like a champ blocking that shot. I am also baffled as to why Cogliano isn’t on the powerplay

50. Trogdor says:

He’s been out there on all of them… Dangerous looking powerplay but no results.