GDT – Oilers 2, Flames 5 – Oct 24, 2009 – Game 10

By , October 24, 2009 10:09 am
GDT - Edmonton Oilers at Calgary Flames

GDT - Edmonton Oilers at Calgary Flames

It’s Battle of Alberta time again, as the Oilers head into the Saddledome for the first time this year. The two teams have already met twice this year, with the Flames winning both games. Both games were very close games. As many will recall, the first game was the game in which Khabibulin bobbled the puck in the dying seconds of a tie game and gave it away to David Moss for the easy goal. The second game was also a close one in which the Flames won in the shootout.

The Flames are coming off of a 6-3 win over Columbus all the way back on Tuesday, whereas the Oilers also beat Columbus 6-4 with the story of the game being the play of the new top line of Penner, Gagner and Hemsky. The Flames are hot at home (4-1-0), while the Oilers are 1-1-0 in only 2 road games so far this year.

Expecting retribution?
From the Edmonton Journal:

There has been lots of talk of retribution for Flames’ captain Jarome Iginla after he accidentally stuck his stick between Souray’s skates and the Oilers’ defenceman plowed face-first into the boards. Souray hasn’t returned and this is the first meeting since that Oct. 8 incident, but Iginla still seems upset it happened. He contacted Souray shortly after it happened to say he was sorry.

“I texted him … I’d want to do that with anybody who was out, but especially when you know somebody pretty well,” said Iginla, who knows he made a mistake sticking his blade between Souray’s feet.

“I have a history with Sheldon. I played junior against him when I was in Kamloops and we see each other in Edmonton (in the summer).”

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

22.9PP%28.6
80.6PK%76.5
24.9S/G23.6
33.3SA/G32.8
49.1FO%46.5

GAME NOTES

- So far it looks like Brule is still out, and Comrie is questionable. Rumor now (mentioned by Horpesnky and LateNightOilfan) is that Jacques is showing flu symptoms as well, so needless to say the line-ups above will likely change (and resident Flame-fan DropIt will probably have a better idea of the line up for Calgary).
- One thing to note is that it’s expected that the Oilers will assemble a bruiser line together with Strudwick, Stortini and MacIntyre together. The Flames also have a few weapons in their arsenal as well, including Brian McGrattan and Brandon Prust. Should be a rough affair tonight. Will there be retribution directed at Iginla? Doubtful. I don’t think it’s necessary, but the two teams will likely play a very rough game.
- Watch this post for more updates later throughout the day, including line-up updates.

1ST PERIOD SUMMARY

2:25 – EDM – PP – Visnovsky from Hemsky, Gagner
Passing clinic by the Oil as Gagner feeds it down below the goal line to Hemsky, who cross seams it to Visnovsky who makes no mistake on his shot, ripping it past Kipper.
11:54 – CGY – SH – Bourque from Langkow
Grebeshkov tries to keep it in at the Flames blue line, but gets bodied off the puck (read: cross-checked in the back) and Bourque and Langkow come in 2-on-1 on Gilbert. Langkow passes it across to Bourque who puts it away.

Other Highlights
- McGrattan and MacIntyre go at it. What a fight. McGrattan gets the big edge early on, landing a few big shots (and getting a cut on MacIntyre’s forehead). Credit to MacIntyre for outlasting McGrattan though and getting several shots in at the end. Slight edge to McGrattan for the damage he caused on MacIntyre.
- Penner still looking great tonight, driving to the net with the puck, playing agressive with and without the puck.
- Iginla dumps the puck in at the Oilers’ bench… a few seconds later, Stortini hits him and Iginla falls back against the boards. This draws some sparring in front of the bench.. and Iggy gets the penalty. Bad call on that play, but the refs apparently missed Iggy high-sticking Stortini anyways.

2ND PERIOD SUMMARY

3:53 – CGY – Dawes from Bourque and Langkow
Flames cycle it down low, Bourque tries to wrap around it into the net and inadvertently passes it hard to Dawes who is in the slot and blasts it past Khabibulin.

4:29 – CGY – Nystrom from Boyd
Flames again are pouring on the heat. Boyd strips the puck away from Gilbert and drives it to net and gets a shot on goal. The rebound comes to Nystrom, who puts it into the yawning cage.

10:23 – CGY – PPG – Moss from Phaneuf, Iginla
Phaneuf slaps it from the point. It’s a high shot that Moss tips in past Khabibulin. The play is reviewed, but the call on the ice (goal) stands.

18:35 – EDM – PPG – Penner from Hemsky, Gagner
Oenner battles in front of the net and manages to jam it past Kipper while fighting off Regehr.

Other Highlights
- Khabibulin makes some spectacular back to back saves on a delayed penalty call to Ladislav Smid. On the same shift, Smid goes ape-shit, roughing up Rene Bourque. He adds to his penalty time.
- Gilbert is looking pretty sloppy out there. Although he made a great defensive play in the first period, he’s been weak on the puck all night. On the Flames powerplay, he also makes a lazy pass over to Grebeshkov behind the net that is easily intercepted for a Flames chance.
- JFJ starts throwing at Johnson in front of the net after being cross-cheked by him. Another fight breaks out in the background. Smid goes at it with Giordano. Smid removes the helmet, Giordano keeps his on. I score this one for Smid, as he landed 3 by my count and Giordano threw them early but didn’t land anything.
- Flames take a couple of penalties near the end of the period, so they will start the 3rd with a 5-on-3

3RD PERIOD SUMMARY

12:27 – CGY – PPG – Dawes from Bourque, Regehr
Dawes gets it down low on the circle to Khabibulin’s left and just beat’s Khabibulin cleanly.

Other Highlights
- Oilers start the period with a 5-on-3 for a bit, then 3 minutes of 5-on-4.
- Chorney makes a nice play dangling around one of the Flames and carrying the puck in for a shot on goal.
- I think I hear the collective sound of Flames-universe booing as Penner gets away with an accidental high stick on Boyd that cuts him open.
- O’Sullivan absolutely robbed by Kipper who flashes the glove, or as Mark Lee calls it “and O’Sullivan needs therapy!”
- Oilers defensive depth being tested all night. Grebeshkov and Gilbert, to me, have looked horrid out there. This team misses Souray and Staios.
- Flames completely smothering the Oilers.. they can’t do anything now in the final few minutes.

254 Responses to “GDT – Oilers 2, Flames 5 – Oct 24, 2009 – Game 10”

1. NorwegianOiler says:

If the Oilers make a line of Struds-Stortini-Diesel I’ll be amazed. It would be totally contrary to Quinn’s idea of balance and the line would probably play about 3 minutes in the game…

Apparently it’s already practiced together (yesterday). And yes, it does go against Quinn’s game plan of balance.. however that game plan kind of changed a bit when so many people went down to injury/flu. If it does get put together, obviously don’t expect it to last once more players are back.

3. DropIt says:

Calgary projected lineup (assuming it has not been changed)

•Glenncross-Conroy-Iginla

•Dawes-Langkow-Bourque

•Sjostrom-Jokinen-Nystrom

•Prust-Boyd-Mcgratton

Regehr-Phaneuf
    Bouwmeester-Giordano
    Sarich-Pardy

Kipprusoff
    McElhinney

Moss-GTD-projected to take Dawes out of lineup if in.

Thank you, sir!

5. Horpensky says:

hmm it does go against Quinn’s idea of having 4 balanced lines (although we already have Moreau and JFJ on a line with smaller guys) It’s just unfortunate we have more bruisers than cruisers right now, so I think this is as balanced as it can get.

I think we should concentrate on getting the 2 points instead of Iginla retribution. The last thing we need is another Bertuzzi incident. Lets hit them where it hurts the most, the scoresheet.

6. Mr.Majestyk says:

I think Big Mac had under 3 minutes of icetime last game.

Anyone else looking forward to the McGratton vs. MacIntyre event? Man, that will be good. I won’t be going for a coffee in the first period…

8. DropIt says:

I am! I’m looking forward to everything about this game…

-BOA in the dome

-some old BOA hate coming back, injures star=chippiness.

-Easily the biggest game of the season for b oth these teams.

9. DropIt says:

I am! I’m looking forward to everything about this game…

-BOA in the dome

-some old BOA hate coming back, injures star=chippiness.

-Easily the biggest game of the season so far for both these teams.

10. DropIt says:

Stupid phone… Double post

I give the Flames the edge on this one. Home ice and we have basically a flu stricken team. Then again, I said the same thing about Columbus. This will definitely be a grudge match.

I hope the Oilers get some of these guys back soon. This flu is ridiculous.

DropIt, are the Flames in the same boat as far as the flu?

Ya that flu is making its rounds a little too quickly for my liking, but on a good note, at least it’ll likely all be over within a week or two.

As far as the outcome in the game, yah it’s a tough one to call. I think this team is already an improved team since the last meeting. I mean, they’ve been spending part of the season learning the ropes, but I think now it’s a matter of “do they have a good enough team with the healthy bodies they have” than anything.

14. DropIt says:

No, the Flames aren’t experiencing the flu thus far. The entire team is relatively healthy.

I also have to give Calgary the edge here.

Home Ice
    Healthy
    Rested (3 day break)

Better :P

…making for that more glorious of an Oilers win tonight. :lol:

Seriously though, Comrie is out.. his presence will be missed. Aside from that, I think this is still the same team makeup as the one that has been hot since Souray/Staios went down.

Really, the flu is testing this team’s depth, however the top six is still relatively intact. And perhaps you could even say that our defense took a step in the right direction by not having Strudwick anymore. :P

I’m calling a 5-4 OT win for one of the lucky teams. Will it be the Oil? Oh, I don’t know. I’m a homer, so I’ll say yes. :P

Racki: It’s been confirmed by Quinn that Brule and Comrie are out for tonight. No mention of JFJ, so I assume that means he’s playing. I still haven’t read any official word anywhere on him having the flu symptoms though either.

It was here http://www.edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/edmonton-oilers/Ailing+Oilers+recall+Theo+Peckham/2138904/story.html

That’s all I saw about JFJ although someone on Lowetide said the Sun was reporting the same (JFJ at practice with throat spray and looking green), however I can’t find a link. Seems like the way the flu has been running it’s course with the rest of the team is JFJ will play tonight and then he’ll be too sick to play the next game.

Re the flu, I think all teams have to deal with it sooner or later in a season. I prefer sooner, especially when we have been winning in spite of it. Later in the season the players are getting worn down by the schedule and they take longer to recover I think.

18. Hockey Noob says:

Hey Racki, we’re going to need a big night from our top line, offensemen (lol), and Bulin. Brule’s been out for a while now… Our third line last game was less than stellar–we’ll need more from Nilsson and Cogliano.

Racki: Ack, yah, I think you’re right, LNOF… Jacques will play tonight, but may be out even as early as tomorrow. Hopefully when he does have to go out, one or more of Brule/Comrie will be back in. Then it won’t be so bad.

Yeah, unfortunately, I expect it to go through the entire team, but hopefully we’ll only be down 1-2 players at a time.
    Anyway, looking forward to a fun game. Not sure if I’ll be around tonight, have friends dropping over, might be impolite for me to sit and watch the game with them with my laptop at my fingertips…thankfully they’re hockey fans so at least I’ll be watching.

20. OilerTyler says:

Calgary isn’t that good of a team, they are just a lucky team. They never have any major injuries, but Edmonton always finds themselves missing a Visnovsky, Souray, Hemsky or a (07-08) Horcoff. One day Iginla, Kipper or Phaneuf will get injured and Calgary will fall apart.

Well, we should do the old switcharoo with the water bottles when the Flames are not looking :P

I agree with LNOF. The players are better to get this done (flu) rather than in say February.

If I’m Quinn, I’m telling JFJ to sneeze on Iggy every chance he gets. :D

Racki, it is nice to see our depth being tested and the results being positive so far. It’s been a very nice feeling to see the guys play well despite some key injuries and the flu. It bodes well for when the team is healthy and we get some guys back.

When do we play Colorado? The need a shot of the flu too….

Yah the Oil definitely have been tested this year so far with the injuries/flu. Nothing new for this team though (didn’t we set a record for man games lost 2 years ago or so?). But it seems that so far, the “new look” Oilers are handling things a lot better.

23. DropIt says:

Lucky?!?

Hardly, we are less lucky if anything, we hit our injuries at playoff time.

Last year we lost Bourque, Regehr, Langkow, Giordano and to a lesser extent, Phaneuf.

True that… playing with a short line up just before the playoffs because your team can’t take the cap hit of calling someone up..not good.

And the plague continues… add Gilbert to the list. He’s in the same boat as JFJ… toughing it out tonight, but could be suffering full effects soon enough.

I wasn’t expecting any retribution anyways, but…

From the Edmonton Journal:

27. Hockey Noob says:

Honestly, I do want to see some retribution tonight… but only on the score board. Let’s get our 2 points and move on…

My thoughts exactly.. and while we’re at it, why not stir things up a bit and hit anything that moves? Cleanly. The big line (line 4) should set the tone early playing a hard dump and chase game (the only line I want to see dumping and chasing!).

29. DropIt says:

I would like to see the matchups on ice tonight. I have a feeling your going to see Edmonton’s 4th out against Jokinen’s line (energy line)

Well, that line is definitely pretty slow-ass and easily exploitable. So I’m thinking we’ll see it early on in the game to set the tone, but it’ll be pretty limited throughout the game.

Oh hell, thank god the game hasn’t started yet, I’ve been watching what I thought was the Montreal OT live, but was actually about 10 mins behind as I forgot I paused my PVR a while back. lol

32. Trogdor says:

Let the exploitation begin!

So I’ve already earned 4 Hours OT due to two pages from work. Easy money, but I hope this crap doesn’t happen while the game is on!

Damn it, McGrattan out.

35. Hockey Noob says:

Hey, just got back from the gym… Here we go! Goilers!

36. DropIt says:

I’m so excited!

Last minute line adjustment…

Prust out, Moss in

No Prust v Stortini :(

More importantly, damn it, David Moss in.

Drop It: CBC says it’s McGrattan that is out, not Prust.. No McGrattan vs. MacIntyre

39. DropIt says:

You heard Mcgratton out Racki? I heard Prust healthy scratch

40. Trogdor says:

Penalty, and Hemsky’s asserting his physical presence.

DropIt: Yah, you are right though, I guess the CBC announcer just said it wrong. I rewound it to make sure, and yes, he said McGrattan, however the lines they flipped on the screen show its actually Prust out.

This is a horrible PP… always great when Stortini is out on hte PP early on..

43. Trogdor says:

He shoots he scores! Nice goal!

44. Trogdor says:

Good tilt. Body blows from Mac

Ok, i officially take that back.. thank you for redeeming the PP, Vis/Gags!

… Wow what a title for Mac and McG

46. Trogdor says:

MacIntyre did a number on that McG’s fist with his forehead.

That was actually a better fight than I thought it would be.. thought it would be overblown and just a defensive battle. Good shots landed by both sides, although I’ll score the marginal win to McGrattan since he drew blood.

48. DropIt says:

Who won the fight, I’m hearing it on radio… Sounded like Mcgratton, but Rob Kerr tends to embelish

See my review.. started out with MacIntyre landing a few body shots.. not much by McGrattan.. then McGrattan explodes and lands a few really good shots (one drew blood on Mac’s forehead). I thought “oh crap, Mac’s done”. Suddenly, the table turns, and MacIntyre lands several himself. None quite as good as the one shot by McGrattan though. Slight edge to McGrattan.

I would have scored it even, if not for the blood McGrattan drew.

50. Trogdor says:

Chorney looking good again tonight. We have to start throwing some of our own hits though.