GDT – Oilers 0, Boston 2 – Oct 31, 2009 – Game 14

By , October 30, 2009 9:30 pm
GDT - Edmonton Oilers at Boston Bruins

GDT - Edmonton Oilers at Boston Bruins

Happy Halloween everyone! Saturday’s game is a morning game, so I thought I should get something off ahead of schedule for people to talk in. The Boston Bruins are coming off a nightmarish 2-1 loss to the New Jersey Devils. The Edmonton Oilers looked to be on their way to a blood bath of the Detroit Dead Things when in the third period, the visitors awoke from the dead. Ok, that’s enough lame Halloween analogies for now! The Oilers got off to a quick 4-0 lead, and then a 5-1 lead, and the Red Wings battled back to eventually tie the game at 5-5 to force overtime and a shootout. Let’s hope that the Oilers can take care of business against the Bruins and play 3 periods of hockey this time.

I have no idea on the lines at this point, so if anyone has a beat on that, please let me know.. until then, you get this ridiculous line-up for the Oilers. One thing I can almost certainly say is that the Kid Line will not be together tomorrow versus a hard checking team like the Bruins. The Bruins line-up comes from HFBoards, in a GDT for the Devils.

PROJECTED LINE-UPS

Chara-Morris
Hunwick-Wideman
Stuart-Ference

Rask
Thomas

GAME NOTES

– Pisani, Staios, Comrie and Visnovsky made the trip to Boston.
– Pisani and Staios are not expected to play tomorrow, unless there is an emergency, according to Quinn.
– As for Visnovsky and Comrie, Quinn says if the game were tonight, neither would play. They will be re-assesed in the morning, so they will both be game time decisions.
– Latest word on Souray is that he has digressed, according to Quinn. There is talk now that he’ll miss 3 more weeks, at minimum. Concussions are a crappy thing to have and hard to diagnose.
– Looks like Rask will start in goal for the Bruins.
– UPDATE: Pisani was activated off LTIR today and Souray was placed on LTIR… sounds like Pisani is playing today and will center Moreau and Stortini.

1ST PERIOD SUMMARY

No scoring.

Other Highlights
– Having no sound in a game really blows. Sportsnet’s temporary audio issues are sure taking a while to fix.
– Dustin Penner does a good job breaking into the Bruins zone on Chara and Morris to keep the play alive, despite Chara’s ogre punch which knocks Penner to the ice.
– The Oil seem to be winning the majority of the battles so far.
– The kid line is battling hard out there, even with the big Chara on the ice.
– Peckham throws a nice hit on Krejci
– Tencer just pointed out that this period took 27 minutes real time to play out.. very fast.. only 6 stoppages.

2ND PERIOD SUMMARY

No scoring.

Other Highlights
– Cogliano takes a feed from Gagner and gets a good shot off, but Rask makes the kick save.
– Oilers’ first PK looks great, preventing any decent scoring chances by the Bruins.
– Pisani’s line looks pretty reliable out there. Physical, and they’ve had no troubles getting out of the zone.
– Peckham just got bowled over by Begin. He looked a bit embarassed afterwards.
– Chara fires a laser that hits Khabibulin up high… what a shot. That might have hit Khabibulin in the mask.
– The Oilers’ top line is getting caught on their heels. The Bruins top line generate some good chances against our top line while they’re out for a shift.
– O’Sullivan gets a near breakaway chance and blasts one from the circle that Rask just gets a piece of.
– Shortly after, Gagner duplicates the play from the other side.
– The Bruins have a couple guys with some wheels. Sturm and Krejci have blown past our defenders on a few occasions tonight.
– Nilsson just saved a goal, as he came back into the play to poke a puck loose that was in front of the wide open net for a Bruin.
– Hemsky just wired a shot off the post.
– Sportsnet has the scoring chances at 7 for the Bruins, 4 for the Oilers at this point.
– Smid just made a beauty play to break up a pass on a 3-on-2.
– Khabibulin holds the fort in the dying seconds as 2 Bruins get a shooting gallery out front with 4 Oilers (Smid, Grebeshkov, Brule, O’Sullivan) standing there in the way but not being physical at all.
– The Bruins pot one just after the buzzer sounds.

3RD PERIOD SUMMARY

2:47 – BOS – Wheeler from Sobotka, Paille
Sobotka and Peckham battle in the corner. Sobotka continues behind the net while Peckham heads to the front of the net. Sobotka back passes it out front where Wheeler is there to bang it in.
7:02 – BOS – Sobotka from Wheeler, Paille
Sobotka and Wheeler go in on a 2 on 1 with Smid back and Horcoff racing back. Wheeler and Sobotka give-and-go, and Horcoff can’t catch up to Sobotka in time.

Other Highlights
– A shot from the point is initially stopped by Khabibulin but sits in the blue paint with him not sure where it is. Chorney pounces on it and gets it out of danger before Recchi can get to it.
– Horcoff saves a quality chance as he pokes a puck away before Marchand can get to it.
– The Bruins drive to the net and somehow Peckham gets a stick on it before it crossses the line.. wow… what a play by Peckham.
– Oilers’ first powerplay of the game is nothing to write home about. This team has looked flat for most of the game.
– The Oilers’ second powerplay looks horrid. The Bruins get a 2-on-1 chance on it, and the Oilers take a too many men on the ice penalty midway through it.
– Chara is a rock on the blue line. If only we had a guy like that. He’s beat up anyone that has stepped near Rask.
– With a minute left, the Oil pull Khabibulin. Penner gets a shot on Rask that hits the chin on his mask and pops the helmet off.
– Brule gets a nice one on one chance on Rask, but Rask makes a nice save.
– The Oilers end up losing this one 2-0, and are out shot 27 – 19.

POST-GAME RANT

The Oilers came out not too bad in the first period. The Kid Line looked fairly physical on the puck and energetic. The fourth line also looked the same. However, in the 2nd and 3rd, the Oilers fell flat and just couldn’t get anything significant happening in the Bruins zone. I think a lot of that had to do with Chara’s defensive play.

This game could have been a lot worse. There were some key saves made by Khabibulin, and a few great plays by Chorney, Horcoff and Peckham to poke pucks away from a wide open net before any Bruins could get to loose pucks. Overall a very poor effort by the Oilers. They could really use some defensive help right now. I know the shutout says “they need offensive help!”. But, I think that has a lot more to do with their struggles in their own zone. They spend far too much time in their own zone and lose battles in their own end and that’s been really hurting them lately.

Next game, Monday at 5:00 PM MST in Long Island. It’s a PPV game.

138 Responses to “GDT – Oilers 0, Boston 2 – Oct 31, 2009 – Game 14”

1. Trogdor says:

Why do we run out of gas in the 3rd all the time?

Holy hell.. that should have been a goal.

Peckham just saved a goal there

Wow, nice work Peckham.

Trogdor: Why do we run out of gas in the 3rd all the time?

Considering they haven’t really had much gas in the other periods, that’s even worse.

Yay, first PP.

6. Haboiler says:

maybe the break we need…

7. Trogdor says:

Hopefully it’s the turning point of the game. Powerplay. Maybe the big stop will pay off.

8. Hockey Noob says:

9. Trogdor says:

Looks like we’ll have 30+ shots against again. 25 at the moment.

Haboiler: maybe the break we need…

Not looking like it with this PP

11. Trogdor says:

That powerplay only killed 2 minutes of time remaining.

Hockey Noob: For the love of … Can Tambo trade to get us some vet help for the blueline… like anyone?

Not to be negative, but he won’t do it, so don’t hold your breath. I made a comment about it on Oilersnation… Oilers policy seems to be to wait until the last possible minute (ex. Trade Deadline) before making attempts to fix issues. Dwayne Roloson was a perfect example of that. Everyone knew this team needed goaltending bad, and we didn’t pick him up until March of 2006. Why they do that? I’m sure it’s hard to make trades, but I do see other teams doing it still, so I don’t quite by it.

This team would be fine if all our d-men were healthy though. Even so, I would have liked to have seen them sign a real stay-at-homer in the off-season. But on a good note, Smid is looking like that guy more and more.

13. Trogdor says:

Allow me to bring up Rask’s potential shutout. Perhaps jinxing him on the PP.

Many goals last game, but potentially getting shut out in 3 of 4 games is not good at all.

Really though, I just wonder why Peckham and Strudwick are even paired together. Those guys should be paired with someone who can move the puck.

15. Trogdor says:

Grabs, that was just plain dumb…

Always good sign your powerplay is clicking when the other team gets a 2-on-1 on it.

… not to mention a too many men on the ice penalty. yikes.

18. Trogdor says:

And another really dumb event.

19. Haboiler says:

Too many men with less that 5 mins to go, on a PP down by 2 = Not Acceptable!

7 Oilers on the ice, wow. So much for that PP

21. Trogdor says:

Last 2 minutes, time to play with urgency.

22. Trogdor says:

Wow, Rask looks like he’s 12.

23. Trogdor says:

Everyone just watching the puck, the sense of urgency is gone.

Hemsky looks like he has a piano tied to his ass.

Sooo, is the flu still to blame?

26. Haboiler says:

Racki: Hemsky looks like he has a piano tied to his ass.

He just peeled away from the open puck at the blueline… brutal

27. Trogdor says:

Well, they looked good for the first half of the game. Didn’t show up for the 3rd though.

Seriously Brophy??? He thought the Oilers put up a good effort. They were non-existent for at least 2 periods.

I feel bad for Bostonoiler. Hopefully there were some highlights for him, it would be nice if he could meet some of the players but not sure of the liklihood of that happening.

Anyway, the Isles are up next. They are starting to come together and Roli is starting to get on a roll, so no one should take them lightly.

Enjoy your Hallowe’en everyone and thanks for the GDT! Time to get busy spookifying the house, I’ll have little goblins knocking on the door in about an hour and half!

Thanks for comin’ out, everyone. Too bad it was a stinker!

Check your NYI start time on your post-game rant Racki, it’s 7PM EST, so would be 5PM MST.

Oh woops.. thanks LNOF!

Sigh…..wish we could have at least scored today. Sucked watching the loss. Never gonna hear the end of it at school. Seats I had were good. I though Hemsky put that one in late in the 2nd. Well can’t win them all, but like I said a goal would have been nice. We had our chances though. Hemsky hit the post, O’Sully and Gags on the break away and Whiffcoff toward the end. LNOF: There was one highlight, when they were coming out for warmups, Hemsky and Storts stopped and gave me a high five. Storts and I had a brief convo too, it as real cool.

Bostonoiler: LNOF: There was one highlight, when they were coming out for warmups, Hemsky and Storts stopped and gave me a high five. Storts and I had a brief convo too, it as real cool.

Hey Boston, well that’s pretty cool, I’m happy you got to meet a couple of the guys and I’m sure they appreciated your support! At least you’ve been able to see them play live, you’re one up on me!

Storts was a cool guy, nice guy too. Oilers had their chances, Rask was good.

Bostonoiler: Yeah, I was going to drive with a bunch of friends to NY tomorrow and see the Isles game, but I’m coming down with the flu. I have to wait two more seasons lol

Damn, i hope you don’t have it bad. My flu didn’t seem so bad, but I spent the time after the game sleeping and burning up. I had to call my mom over to hand out candy for kids. She’s awesome. hah

But that’s great you got to meet Stortini, yah he’s a great guy, hey? The loss sucks, but something like that (meeting a player) is a memory that would last longer than a win anyways.

Yeah, I my flu is terrible, I almost didn’t go to the game, but I drugged up and actually felt good for the game, once we got home it was like a wall hit me though. Yeah, Hemsky is my fav and I like Storts so I was pumped. The loss sucks, but we will pick it up once healthy. I was gonna give out candy then head to a party, but fell too sick to move lol