GDT – Edmonton 3, Calgary 4 (SO) – Oct. 8, 2009 – Game 3

By , October 8, 2009 11:15 am
They got lucky last time

They got lucky last time

2009/10 Battle of Alberta 2.0 tonight. Let’s hope that Khabibulin is in better game shape tonight. The Flames got the best of us last game (4-3 Flames).. perhaps the best of Khabibulin, if you want to think of it that way. But I liked seeing our team come out flying early on. It was one they could have won.

I predict a high scoring game again. I’m going with 5-4 Oilers, just because I’m a homer. This one makes it to the shootout, this time. Fire out your predictions in the comments section..

Not much out there in the way of information about the game yet (i.e. lines), but here are the projected rosters for now. Moreau skated in yesterday’s practice, but not sure if we’ll see him tonight though.

Edit: Lines for both teams have been updated.

Oilers Lines

Kiprusoff
McElhinney

Injuries

EDMONTON:
Pisani – Out Indefinitely, Back
Pouliot – Day to Day, Flaming loins
Staios – Creates too many Calgary Power Plays / “Had his bell rung” (according to Quinn)

FLAMES:
Armstrong – IR
McGratton – Day to Day, Shoulder
Sarich – Lower body injury

1st Period Summary

16:27 – EDM – Moreau from Brule, Grebeshkov
Moreau gets out of the penalty box. Gets a nice outlet pass by Moreau, and he is in all alone on Kipper and just threads it through the five hole.

19:46 – EDM (PP) – Visnovsky from Comrie, O’Sullivan.
Comrie and O’Sullivan battle along the boards for the puck. Visnvosky gets the puck at the blue line, dekes out Conroy and blasts it past Kipper.

Other Highlights
- Strudwick lays the body on Boyd, while pinching in at the point.
- Big save by Khabibulin on Langkow. Khabibulin was in the butterfly position out of the net a bit. Langkow got the puck on the other side of the net, and Khabi sprawled across and reached out with the pad/glove and kicked it to the corner.
- Moreau looks good so far tonight. That goal energized him. His next shift leads to the Oilers hemming the Flames in their own zone for a few minutes.

2nd Period Summary

19:31 – CGY – Langkow from Bourque, Giordano
Langkow fires it towards the net, it goes off of Strudwick and in… not Khabibulin’s fault here.

Other Highlights
- Souray goes after the puck in the Oil zone with Iginla chasing after him. Souray loses an edge and gets slammed into the boards With Iggy’s full weight riding into his back. He’s cut up on his face. I wouldn’t be surprised if he was concussed on that, but hopefully he’s ok.
- Stone lays a nice hit on Regehr that draws some attention from Langkow on the way to the bench.
- Khabibulin skates out of the crease to poke a puck away from a Flame who was streaking in… draws some applause from the crowd. I’m sure it was half sarcastic, but it’s good to see him get back on the horse.
- Moreau starts a scrap with Iginla (credit to Chucker for calling it well before). Both toss their lids. In usual Moreau fashion, he can’t stand on his feet. And ends up flopping around. Iginla waits for him to get on his feet again, but the refs jump in and Iginla continues to throw shots anyways.
- Hemsky is doing stuff out there that should lead to a Pat Quinn “there’s no I in team” speech.
- Still no sign of Souray.
- Stone catches Kronwall admiring the pass, drawing some big cheers.

3rd Period Summary

4:11 – CGY – Dawes from Kronwall, Bourque
Bourque passes it to Kronwall on the point who wrists it on net, Dawes tips it in from the side. Tough one for Khabibulin.
13:30 – EDM – Hemsky from Horcoff, Grebeshkov
JFJ dumps it in, and gets in on hte puck. Horcoff eventually gets the puck, fires it on net and Hemsky gets the rebound, swings around Kipper and fires it into the yawning cage.
19:58 – CGY – Bourque from Bouwmeester, Phaneuf
Bouwmeester fires it on net with only 2 seconds left. Bourque tips it up high and through Khabibulin’s five hole. Again not much Khabi can do.

Other Highlights
- Iginla hits Hemsky, which upsets JFJ. JFJ screams at him on Iggy’s way to the bench.
- Khabibulin almost gets caught out of his net going after a puck which ends up in “no mans land” (outside the trapezoid). The Flames jam at it in the crease… I have no idea how that stayed out though.
- Grebeshkov looks smooth out there on defence.. Boyd tries to give him the Kelly Buchburger inside-outside move, but Grebeshkov cooly stays with him.
- Jacques hits Bouwmeester so hard I’m surpised the boards didn’t cave in. Lots of movement on the boards on that one.
- Comrie doing his best Tiger Woods impersonation trying to bat the puck out of the air but he must’ve batted it three times before it went forward (not to mention Stone batting it over to the front of the net, and Kipper also batting one out of the air). These guys should go on tour as a travelling circus.
- Jacques is still taking no prisoners out there. He hits anyone and everyone, back turned, facing him, on their way to the bench, begging for mercy.. doesn’t matter. A few highlight-reel hits. Stone is another guy out there hitting anyone he can. I like how these guys always finish their checks.
- Khabibulin is on top of his game.
- Visnovsky makes very confident moves in his own zone, stickhandling the shit out of a Flame who spins and falls to the ice
- Cogliano makes a very nice move, dipseedoodling through the Calgary defence just after the Hemsky goal. This boy has skill.
- Horcoff has looked pretty good tonight. In fact, if not for Hemsky just scoring after picking up Horcoff’s junk in the crease, I’d say JFJ and Horcoff are carrying Hemsky tonight… how often do you say that?

Overtime Summary

No Goals.

Other Highlights
- Strudwick, carrying the puck into the Flames zone, Paul Coffey style goes down in a heap after being tripped up.
- All Edmonton in this OT, but Kipper does a good job at shutting the Oil down.
- Horcoff has a great chance breaking in the zone after the penalty, picking up a pass from Hemmer. But Kipper again wins that battle.
- Strudwick is looking not bad out there, and gets some attention from DeBrusk, pointing this out as well. He’s look solid at both ends of the ice.
- Gagner gives the coach a heart attack, stickhandling a defender in his own zone, but it works and he gets a chance at the other end.

Shootout Summary

Gagner – NO GOAL – tries to go low glove side on Kipper, but Kipper makes the save.

Dawes – GOAL – Fires it top shelf, glove side, beating Khabibulin.

O’Sullivan – GOAL – Repeat of the Dawes goal, top cheese, knocking the cookie jar off the net.. fires that puck pretty damn hard.

Jokinen – GOAL – tries to deke out Khabibulin… goes glove side, blocker side… Khabi spreads out, it hits the side of the net, coming back off the back of Khabi’s leg and goes in. They go upstairs to confirm, and it’s counted.

Hemsky – NO GOAL – Looked like he was probably going deke at first, Kipper guessed it, and throws out the poke check… Hemsky fires it up top but rings it off the post.

Special Teams

EDM PP#1 (Bouwmeester 2 mins for Hooking) – GOAL
Unit #1 – Penner/Comrie/O’Sullivan with Visnovsky

CGY PP #1 (Moreau in the box) – NO GOAL
Horc/Penner with Smid/Souray for the top unit, O’Sully/Brule with Grebeshkov/Gilbert for the second unit. First unit looked good, even got a rush in which Horcoff carried the puck in and Souray.. yes.. Souray.. rushed to the net for the junk (which unfortunately was not there). Second unit didn’t look quite as hot. Calgary got a few shots in that kill. At the end of this kill, Moreau gets out of the box and scores.

EDM PP#2 (Iginla 2 mins for Tripping) – NO GOAL
Unit#1 Penner/Horcoff/Hemsky now with Grebs/Gilbert since Souray is off to the dressing room. Good kill by the Flames… these guys couldn’t even break the zone.
Unit#2 O’Sully/Comrie/JFJ gets a good opportunity on net.
Unit #3 Gagner/Brule/Cogliano – Not much happening here.. lots of overhandling of the puck by Gagner who eventually gives it away to Iginla.

CGY PP#2 (Stortini 2 mins for Interference) – leads to another penalty – NO GOAL
Bogus penalty call.
1st PK unit Penner/Horcoff with Gilbert/Grebeshkov. Leads to another penalty as Grebeshkov gets called for hooking

CGY PP#3 (Grebeshkov 2 mins for hooking) – 5 on 3 – NO GOAL
1st PK Unit Horcoff with Smid/Strudwick. Great job battling off the first wave and dumping the puck. Smid makes a nice shot block which hurt, but fired him up as he skated off. Replaced by Gilbert. Khabibulin absolutely stones Dawes on the backdoor one-timer play. This is a lonnnng 2-man advantage. Finally it is killed off. And now we have Stortini/O’Sullivan out there. They kill it off, which leads to a delayed penalty against Calgary.

EDM PP#3 (Bourque 2 mins for tripping) – NO GOAL
Unit #1 – Penner/Horcoff/Hemsky with Visnovsky and Smid. Nothing really generated here. In fact, the Flames (Nystrom) probably had a better chance. O’Sullivan, Comrie and Jacques on now with Gilbert/Grebeshkov. Again, nothing generated by the Oilers.. good kill here by the Flame.

CGY PP#4 (O’Sullivan 2 mins for tripping) – NO GOAL
Unit #1 Horcoff and Penner with Gilber and Smid on D. Nice work by Penner out there. Very nice work. Phaneuf goes end-to-end and runs into the Wall.. he ain’t movin’. Khabibulin fires the blocker after ;)
Unit #2 Cogliano Moreau with Strudwick and Grebeshkov. Very short lived… puck goes out of play, giving time for a line change and Unit #1 is back out, and finishes the job. Oilers PK is looking solid tonight.

EDM PP#4 (Giordano tripping) – NO GOAL
Unit #1 Comrie, Gagner, O’Sullivan with Visnovsky – gets one good chance and Kipper covers it up.
Unit#2 – Penner/Horcoff/Hemsky with Grebeshkov – Hemmer gets the best chance on a blast from past the faceoff circle that Kipper gloves up.
Unit#1 back out with Gilbert on the point – Great chance by Gagner who bangs at a rebound on a Comrie shot, but Kipper eats it up. Another good chance on the next play, but Kipper is doing well at sucking up anything in front of him.
Unit #2 out now with Visser on the point. Hemsky and Horcoff both fan on their shots and the penalty ends.

210 Responses to “GDT – Edmonton 3, Calgary 4 (SO) – Oct. 8, 2009 – Game 3”

I say the Oilers win decisively for two reasons, the first being the team will rally in front of Khabi because they will want to help him beat the team he gaffed against, andd secondly, Khabi is gonna stand on his head to make up for above noted gaffe.

and thirdly(I know I said two reasons, sue me) all those freak bounces of our own players will stop tonight.

I’m gonna say 5-1 Oilers.

wouldn’t you all just love to see Souray ragdoll Quasimodo? I can’t see it ever happening though as I’m pretty sure Quasi would just turtle.

Steve-O: poo doesn’t have craps, its an inflamed pubic bone from bangin’ the shit out of puck-bunniesand i’m surprised that Quasimodo has an “A” for such a whiny looking little bitch…seems like its all about him whenever you see him

To be honest, I rushed to do it before we went for lunch and just copied it from HFBoards. But since it’s the comedic material of the HFBoards poster, I took it out.

4. Samus says:

Isn’t the game in Edmonton tonight?

Damn it, you are right.. lol Steve-O… do up one of your fancy hand drawn game pics.. can’t edit it from here.

And also, the actual lines have now been updated.

6. DropIt says:

It is in Edmonton, you are right samus.

No love for Phaneuf? :P I can see why Oiler fans don’t like him, but where you guys get ‘whiner’ from I’ll never know…

This game has “TRAP” game written all over it for the Flames, and this game is actually quite defining for early in the season for my boys in Red.

The homer in me says 3-1 Calgary

The logic in me says 3-2 Edmonton

-Thing to keep an eye out for: Regehr openly has not been very happy with his own play so far this year (as goes for the fans). Regehr makes a statement tonight and reminds Hemsky what the roof of the Rexall looks like ;)

7. DropIt says:

On another note, can I ask where the Flames’ lineups came from?

picture updated to state of the art graphics

Poo doesn’t have craps. Golden typo.

I agree with most. Khabbi is going to put on a clinic tonight and the boys will be charging hard. Given Calgary’s win streak and the chances of winning another game vs. losing being poor, one would expect an Oiler victory. I’m picking Oilers 4-2.

10. DropIt says:

^ I like the law of averages approach. Well played

DropIt: On another note, can I ask where the Flames’ lineups came from?

TSN… is it incorrect, you think?

And I agree with Chucker… Poo tends to shit all over the ice.. very fitting nickname, and he takes 60 minute craps.

13. NorwegianOiler says:

Sooooooon game time my friends!

14. Trogdor says:

I will predict Oil, 3-2 in a shootout. I will also predict a painful evening of selling 50/50 tickets to people who are actually there enjoying themselves…

NorwegianOiler: You’re the business-man chucker, isn’t the law of average just a false prophecy? I’m thinking that the Oilers will have a hard time, again, if they don’t find a way to improve their special teams play. I love the renewed committment to physicality and forechecking hard, which has done our 5-5 play a power of good, but ultimately I cringe in the core of my soul when we take a penalty, just knowing what mischief we allow when we’re a man down…And, I think it’s time for Hemsky to make some of the fans forget their doubts about him. I’m not saying he’s better than this player or that, but the perennial “is he elite” regurgitation is getting stale, no? He is what he is, a game breaker, a ghost, a star, a liability. As long as all the cards aren’t put upon him he can provide a nice, shiny, cold, dagger in opposing team’s hearts. If all eyes are upon him to provide offense alone, he ends like every other creature under the magnifying glass – scorched. That goes for golden boys in every team. Focusing on the team game is what I’ll be doing. Sooooooon game time my friends!

Well, if you were a client of mine and asked that question I’d say “It depends.” All streaks must come to an end and we’ll be looking for payback so I’ll go with it tonight. ;)

I am completely in tune with your thought on us taking penalties, especially against a well run Calgary PP unit. Staios and Moreau better be on good behaviour tonight, but you just know they will take a bad penalty at an inopportune time. It just seems part of the playbook unfortunately.

Hemsky does need to step up. He has lots of good complimentary players around him now, especially on the PP. Time to capitalize and put those doubts to bed.

OFF TOPIC: Did anyone else see Souray take off the wrist guard in his fight the other night? He’s definitely been told to do this or get a suspension after last year.

Drop It: lines came from TSN, but I see these are just the practice lines and Moss missed the practice (maintenance). So he’ll be in the line up today.. got a beat on the actual lines?

On the note of Hemsky.. agreed, he needs to step it up. Sorry, I’m a huge fan and supporter of his.. but I worry that with a new coach, and him not doing enough, he could be on the outs. Pretty unlikely, but you just never know. We never would have thought Gagner would be on line 4… wonder how long until Hemmer is down there. :P

As far as Souray and the wrist guard, yah, I saw that.. for sure Campbell told him to take it off. But that’s great that he’s still fighting. It was funny seeing Barch get tossed around. It’s too bad he could stand on his feet long enough to get beat down.

18. Horpensky says:

I heard Staios is out (yes!) and Strudwick will draw in

Seems like Quinn is holding his cards close to the chest. Staios is out, so that automatically gives an increased chance of winning. :P

Studdle is in.

Fixed the Flamers’ lines. Those were practice lines and Moss was out for “maintenance” reasons. I’m still not sure if these are the real lines though, but better guess than what was up.

LateNightOilFan: Last I heard, Staios was out due to having his “bell rung” last game and Smid was in. (edit – or Struds?)Yeah chucker, I was laughing to myself in the GDT about Souray telling Barch to wait while he took off the wrist guard – I think it may have given Barch a false sense of security don’t you think?I don’t do predictions, especially with the Oilers. Hoping for a good game and a good outcome in spite of the good game (unlike last BOA).

Yeah, fighting Souray is just not a good thing. Wrist guard or not. I wonder how Barch feels about it. :D

Maintenance on Moss? It’s too early for his 5k tuneup isn’t it?

24. OilerTyler says:

chucker: http://oilers.nhl.com/club/preview.htm?id=2009020044Seems like Quinn is holding his cards close to the chest. Staios is out, so that automatically gives an increased chance of winning. Studdle is in.

In both games so far, Staios has taken a penalty that has resulted in a goal against us. I think it is safe to say that at least one less goal will be scored against us since he is out haha

25. DropIt says:

Racki: No, I’m not going to say that it’s incorrect. I haven’t heard anything of the lineup yet, but it shocks me to see them split up the 4th line after their play thus far

26. DropIt says:

And your right Racki, Moss and Dawes were both out of practice this morning, however I have heard Moss has been cleared to play, unsure of Dawes

27. NorwegianOiler says:

Hmm. Split up O’Sullivan and Comrie? I don’t see any reason to do that at this point. It will be interesting to see if the QuMixer leaves an interval of low blending soon.

28. Samus says:

Steve-o, I like the “state of the art graphics” with the old 3rd jersey.

Trogdor did the latest pic in good ol’ MS Paint ;)

30. Trogdor says:

Paint couldn’t do all that on it’s own, I need to use Word as well. Now I have to figure out which job to bill my time to.

yeah, i put up one of my paint pictures and was then one-upped by trogdor

still state of the art graphics in my mind

32. Hockey Noob says:

Haha, I was wondering about the GDT picture–it looks great, but didn’t really look like one of Racki’s designs. Now, I’ve never bet on a hockey game in my entire life, but it looks like the betting line favors the Oilers tonight (Oilers -110 / Flames + 103). Let’s hope the bookies are right!!!

Wish me luck…

Racki: I’m currently at work, waiting traffic out for as long as I can. The ol’ Mustang has summer tires on still (duh) and I have one hill to hit at full speed, or I don’t make it home. hah!Wish me luck…

I know exactly that feeling. I bought a ’92 brand new when I got out of NAIT. Mustang’s are not winter cars at all. In fact they are downright scary on snow/ice.

Make it home safe!!

Well, luckily the roads were not only clear of cars (relatively, which is pretty rare given the route I go), but they were also clear of snow/ice. So no problem making it home in one piece. Definitely busing it to work tomorrow though and changing the tires on the weekend. No sense taking chances.

36. Hockey Noob says:

Yeah, I hear ya Racki. I still have the summer tires on my car too and I haven’t driven in the snow since 2005. Uggh, I thought that it was still October… There’s a few things that I miss about living in the southern U.S.

Puck drop in just a few mins..

38. DropIt says:

I is so excited.

I missed the last game due to a wedding… I hate love

Hmm, JFJ is still on the top line.. wonder if that lasts.

40. DropIt says:

Not if he keeps hitting from behind ;)

haha, chances are he’ll stay there if he continues to get away with it though ;) Perhaps one has to question why defensemen choose to turn their body like that before a hit is about to come. I like that Jacques still finishes the check anyway. Besides, Regehr made a name for himself with that tactic, no? :P

DropIt: I is so excited.I missed the last game due to a wedding… I hate love

I hope it wasn’t your own wedding…if so, poor planning on your part!

43. DropIt says:

DropIt: He got penalized for it though lol. Jaques’ It wasn’t a big enough hit to warrant a penalty though. I was just poking ;)

Yah I know :P It was one of those ones that easily could have been called though. Good to see the refs won’t be dictating this game!

45. DropIt says:

No it wasn’t mine… It was my cousins… Who married an Oiler fan :(

That`s a marriage asking for disaster. :lol:

47. DropIt says:

I know… Awful idea… But I did enjoying announcing the final result of the game that night ;)

48. DropIt says:

:D

So a pretty back and forth game so far.. Should be a good one to the end

Hopefully no assists to Khabibulin tonight. :P