GDT: Flames 5, Oilers 3 – Pre-season Game 6 – 2009-09-23

By , September 23, 2009 11:47 am
I hope that little shit makes the team...means they don't have enough players to actually make a full NHL team

Well, I’m stupid busy at work, and my guess is that Racki is as well, so here is a quick GDT.

Pre-game topic of discussion: Who will lead the team this year in points? In PIMs? Goals? Assists? Plus/Minus? Broken Sticks?

Edmonton Oilers Line Up

Stuart – Jaffray – Prust

Regehr – Bouwmeester
Giordano – Phaneuf
Pardy – Kronwall

Kiprusoff
McElhinney

POST-GAME RANT (By Racki)

The Good: JF Jacques looked incredible tonight. He fit on the top line tonight very well. In fact, if not for him, I would have thought that top line was never on the ice. A goal, and a fight tonight. Not just any fight either. JFJ nailed Fredrik Sjostrom from behind (getting a 2-min minor in the process). JFJ turned quick and dropped the gloves as Regehr was breathing down his neck. JFJ fed Regehr his lunch scoring the knock down on a hard punch. As usual, Rod went bananas. My feed went a bit haywire at that point, so unfortunately I couldn’t see a good replay. But on that note, I will get a video up here as soon as I can.

Penner had a strong game as well too, drawing the lone star for the Oilers tonight (2nd star). He was really mobile on the ice tonight. Penner also had a pretty assist on Comrie’s PPG. A flock of players were banging away at a loose puck in front of the Calgary net. Penner kicked it over to Comrie who was wide open on the side of the net, where he fired it into the open net.

As far as the rest of the Penner line, Brule seemed along for the ride, a bit, but he didn’t have a bad game at all. I didn’t really notice him in a good or bad way tonight. Nilsson was instrumental in setting up Penner’s goal in the first, however. He skated into the Calgary zone, Matrix-delayed at the blueline, slowing things down and drawing a defender away from Strudwick. Nilsson, to Struds… Struds fires it off the backboards and to Penner who is staring at a yawning cage for the goal.

The Bad: Almost painful to watch at points. Another flat night for most players. Hemsky seemed pretty invisible out there for the most part. Horcoff was ok, but he coughed up the puck at the blueline on a powerplay, which cost us a goal short-handed. Strudwick and Smid inspired fear only in Oilers fans tonight, as both looked very shakey together. I would have to say that our entire defence corps was pretty unspectacular if not poor tonight. It’s pretty rare that I say that.

The Ugly: Khabibulin left at the end of the 2nd period. According to Tencer, he won’t be making the flight to Winnipeg tomorrow. He might not have been anyways, so who knows if that means anything. But hopefully he’s not seriously hurt. But hey.. what better timing to show management how poor they did at fixing the goaltending issue. I mean, I like Khabi.. but we’re one Khabi injury away from disaster.
UPDATE: no need to freak, it turns out Khabibulin was dehydrated.

The officiating. See Rod Phillips comments, courtesy of David Staples. Three 3-on-5 situations for the Oilers tonight. The Oilers had 10 minor penalties tonight to Calgary’s 4. Granted, several of the calls against the Oilers were passable, however there were a few against the Flames that could have been called as well. Even up calls? Non-existant tonight. The Oilers have 5 penalties to Calgary’s zero in the first period alone.

Scoring Summary

13:12 EDM PPG – Mike Comrie Wrist Shot – Assists: D. Penner & P. O’Sullivan
13:51 CGY Fredrik Sjostrom Snap Shot – Assists: J. Iginla

Shots:
CGY 12-12-12 / 36
EDM 10-6-11 / 27

Here is the JFJ/Regehr fight:

116 Responses to “GDT: Flames 5, Oilers 3 – Pre-season Game 6 – 2009-09-23”

Well agreed, no need to freak, especially during the pre-season, since Khabi left due to dehydration, but unless it was brought on because he was battling a cold/flu, it does raise another red flag for me.

Noob: I never want to count Moreau out, because he comes up with some inspiring shifts on a lot of nights, but last night wasn’t one of them. You’re right. I wonder if he’s lost his edge a bit for fear of taking bad penalties. Could have just been a bad night for him. However, in my eyes he’s done jack this pre-season and is one guy that better step up his game, because so far he’s losing his job. JFJ currently is playing how Moreau used to and is making Moreau obsolete. Stone is looking to be a key component on the O’Sullivan/Comrie line.

All I can say is he better start showing up..

Btw, our PK looked pretty solid last night, all things considered. Only one goal despite being short handed so many times (including three 3-on-5s). From what I recall, I don’t think it’s been bad at all any game. Is it too early to consider it improved?

Racki: Comrie scooorrrres!

I see your channeling some Peter Loubardias

Site is slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow…

Yah, I’m switching hosts tonight. The unfortunate part is, the site could be in some crazy limbo state while it switches over to the new host (they say it takes up to 24 hours to change). So I’m not sure how that works. Guess we’ll find out. The other down side is people will need to re-create their user.

Hey we have speed again, so maybe hold off?

I don’t know.. I’m still thinking of ditching them. But I might do it over a period where the downtime will be less noticeable.

9. Trogdor says:

Back to the game last night, I was hearing a lot of chatter on the radio this morning about Fleury getting booed at the game and how it reflected poorly on the fans. Yeah, there were some boos, but cheering in equal parts. Probably more cheering than booing actually, but who cares, it’s the battle of Alberta and any Flame is susceptible to the boos.

They’re not smart enough to do that

anyone who thinks Oiler fans should cheer the little guy is either (A) retarded or (B) not alive or old enough to remember this.

13. DropIt says:

Racki: Seriously, why the hell should we be cheering Theo Fleury? If Esa Tikannen came out of retirement I would fully expect Flames fans to be booing him.

I was kind of upset to hear Fleury being booed, but in the end it makes sense. He plays for Calgary and … the whole sliding across the ice goal celebration.

What actually kind of surprised me was the booing of Curtis Glenncross, I mean the situation makes it a grey area, but he did admit when he came in that he had full intentions of re-signing in Edmonton but was never offered a contract. It’s not like he demanded out or rejected an offer. But i guess its still the BOA so anything goes.

also in Calgary, i didn’t hear any mention on the radio of the fans looking poorly due to booing. But what was a topic was the same thing me and Racki talked about last night. The broadcasting done by Philips

I didn’t notice that Glencross was booed. But if you know how most Edmonton fans, it’s that the majority of fans are pissed that Glencross wasn’t signed. Obviously we’re not pissed at Glencross, but Tambelowe ™. Perhaps they were booing the Oilers for not re-signing him. But if they were booing Glencross himself, then that’s just stupid. When was he booed? When he was announced as first star?

Seriously, it was just another kick in the junk and another reminder of how stupid our management group can be at times. They tend to have tunnel vision, looking for the grand slam deal.

15. DropIt says:

I noticed he was booed after his first goal. Right before Fleury was for the assist on the goal.

I was kind of confused about it, but it could very well be directed to the management, or just frustration

It’s also a Flames goal. So who knows if it was directed at him specifically. They may just have been booing the goal. If he was booed when announced as the first star, that would likely be a lot more telling.