GDT: Flames 5, Oilers 3 – Pre-season Game 6 – 2009-09-23

By , September 23, 2009 11:47 am
I hope that little shit makes the team...means they don't have enough players to actually make a full NHL team

Well, I’m stupid busy at work, and my guess is that Racki is as well, so here is a quick GDT.

Pre-game topic of discussion: Who will lead the team this year in points? In PIMs? Goals? Assists? Plus/Minus? Broken Sticks?

Edmonton Oilers Line Up

Stuart – Jaffray – Prust

Regehr – Bouwmeester
Giordano – Phaneuf
Pardy – Kronwall

Kiprusoff
McElhinney

POST-GAME RANT (By Racki)

The Good: JF Jacques looked incredible tonight. He fit on the top line tonight very well. In fact, if not for him, I would have thought that top line was never on the ice. A goal, and a fight tonight. Not just any fight either. JFJ nailed Fredrik Sjostrom from behind (getting a 2-min minor in the process). JFJ turned quick and dropped the gloves as Regehr was breathing down his neck. JFJ fed Regehr his lunch scoring the knock down on a hard punch. As usual, Rod went bananas. My feed went a bit haywire at that point, so unfortunately I couldn’t see a good replay. But on that note, I will get a video up here as soon as I can.

Penner had a strong game as well too, drawing the lone star for the Oilers tonight (2nd star). He was really mobile on the ice tonight. Penner also had a pretty assist on Comrie’s PPG. A flock of players were banging away at a loose puck in front of the Calgary net. Penner kicked it over to Comrie who was wide open on the side of the net, where he fired it into the open net.

As far as the rest of the Penner line, Brule seemed along for the ride, a bit, but he didn’t have a bad game at all. I didn’t really notice him in a good or bad way tonight. Nilsson was instrumental in setting up Penner’s goal in the first, however. He skated into the Calgary zone, Matrix-delayed at the blueline, slowing things down and drawing a defender away from Strudwick. Nilsson, to Struds… Struds fires it off the backboards and to Penner who is staring at a yawning cage for the goal.

The Bad: Almost painful to watch at points. Another flat night for most players. Hemsky seemed pretty invisible out there for the most part. Horcoff was ok, but he coughed up the puck at the blueline on a powerplay, which cost us a goal short-handed. Strudwick and Smid inspired fear only in Oilers fans tonight, as both looked very shakey together. I would have to say that our entire defence corps was pretty unspectacular if not poor tonight. It’s pretty rare that I say that.

The Ugly: Khabibulin left at the end of the 2nd period. According to Tencer, he won’t be making the flight to Winnipeg tomorrow. He might not have been anyways, so who knows if that means anything. But hopefully he’s not seriously hurt. But hey.. what better timing to show management how poor they did at fixing the goaltending issue. I mean, I like Khabi.. but we’re one Khabi injury away from disaster.
UPDATE: no need to freak, it turns out Khabibulin was dehydrated.

The officiating. See Rod Phillips comments, courtesy of David Staples. Three 3-on-5 situations for the Oilers tonight. The Oilers had 10 minor penalties tonight to Calgary’s 4. Granted, several of the calls against the Oilers were passable, however there were a few against the Flames that could have been called as well. Even up calls? Non-existant tonight. The Oilers have 5 penalties to Calgary’s zero in the first period alone.

Scoring Summary

13:12 EDM PPG – Mike Comrie Wrist Shot – Assists: D. Penner & P. O’Sullivan
13:51 CGY Fredrik Sjostrom Snap Shot – Assists: J. Iginla

Shots:
CGY 12-12-12 / 36
EDM 10-6-11 / 27

Here is the JFJ/Regehr fight:

116 Responses to “GDT: Flames 5, Oilers 3 – Pre-season Game 6 – 2009-09-23”

Hemsky, Stortini, O’Sullivan, Hemsky, Hemsky, Penner

Tencer posted the lineup earlier;

Oilers Lines Tonight vs. Flames

Jacques – Horcoff – Hemsky
    Stone – Comrie – O’Sullivan
    Penner – Brule – Nilsson
    Moreau – Cogliano – Brennan

Souray – Gilbert
    Grebeshkov – Visnovsky
    Smid – Strudwick

Khabibulin
    Deslauriers

I’m going to be daring with my points prediction, and my +/- prediction:

Comrie, Stortini, O’Sullivan, Hemsky, Souray, Penner

and what gives with those elite visiting team logos(Islanders,Flames) and the shitty, lazy one color oilers logos? c’mon man, be a homer!

Yah, what IS up with the crappy one color Oilers logo, Steve-O? Stop half assing it.. ;)

Updating the lines in a sec, looking for Flames lines. Thanks for the Oil lines gr8one… have been swamped at work and haven’t had a chance to post them.

Hey, I’m still copying the first one i made…I’ll revise it soon

5. Trogdor says:

What about broken glass stats? Or is that a given?

Interestingly enough, Souray has broken as many glass panes as he has goals so far this pre-season… will the trend continue? Stay tuned for a write-up on Souray’s Production vs. Broken Glass (not really).

Steve-O: There

hah! much better! paint>photoshop.

Steve-O, we should do up a theme for the site that is 100% done with MS-Paint. lol

9. DropIt says:

Worst team on earth? That’s a little harsh.

This game should definately be better with a healthy number of vets in both lineups

Drop-It: You are one of few if not the only Flames fan that wanders onto this site (but very much welcome here, mind you). So excuse Steve-O’s very anti-Flame attitude ;) You know how it is… you can only love one of those teams here, and the other one you must hate. :P You’re a bit rare in that sense.

hehe, I’m glad Dropit’s in the hockey pool too, I think he really is a closet Oilers fan at heart.

Dropit definitely is a closet Oil fan. Isn’t that part of the psyche of a Flames fan? ;)

13. Hockey Noob says:

This certainly has the makings of the most exciting game in the preseason. It’s our first nearly complete roster and we’re playing the much hated Calgary Flames (Sorry DropIt)! I have to admit that DropIt’s pretty cool for a Flames fan, so I mean no disrespect to him.

14. DropIt says:

Ya i know how it is…. Trust me, i hear it from the other end equally as bad. And really, whats a rivalry without the trash talk ;)

I wouldn’t go as far to say closet Oiler fan though lol.

Also, i look forward to being the flames fan to win the Oiler fantasy pool ;) … Seriously though, Im really looking forward to it.

I cant wait for the 3rd of October

45 minutes to go! Damn, seems too far away. I wish this game were actually on tv too. Streaming doesn’t work so well on my laptop.

16. DropIt says:

agreed Racki, I wasn’t too upset that no preseason games were on tv, until the Leafs and Flyers infiltrated TSN last night…

Then i was kind of pissed off when I found that there were no Calgary/Edmonton games for the preseason planned

17. Hockey Noob says:

Malthotra to San Jose for $700K!!!

Damn, like the Sharks needed a 3C who can win faceoffs…

18. stanleyoil says:

yep malhotra to san jose link: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=499574

19. Hockey Noob says:

Where’s the game feed guys? Oilers’ site seems to link it up at the last second all the time. I can’t find it, is it just me?

That Malhotra signing seriously pisses me off. Another ball dropped…

Anyways, the feed seems to be pretty slow tonight. I have the feed post all ready to go.. just waiting for the Oil site to bring it up ;)

feed up on this site’s front page.

1-0 Calgary. Giveaway by Khabibulin, Glencross with the goal.

Racki: That Malhotra signing seriously pisses me off. Another ball dropped…

me too…kinda, Tencer just tweeted that Malhotra was offered 1.6m from Columbus 3 months ago, so as much as I know I’m probably being too nice to Oilers management, but I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt that MM wouldn’t have signed here for what he signed for in San Jose.

24. DropIt says:

UUUGGGGLLLLYYYYY…

Also, Im partially offended by the boooing of Fleury, I mean i know its the enemy, but even Flames fans booed Heatley at the Team Canada camp

Gr8one: You are probably right, but I also have to wonder if his price just lowered because he is getting desperate (almost start of the season and no team yet? I’d be nervous). Also, I wouldn’t want to play in CLB either! :P So who knows. I think Tambellini’s comments also show that he was never interested in Malhotra or Betts.

PENNNNNERRR SCOOORES!!!

26. DropIt says:

1-1 Penner

Nice job in front, I guess it could be a higher scoring affair by the early – weak defensive- looks of it

27. Hockey Noob says:

FU*** my computer crashed and by the time I got it back up, the game is 1-1. I missed everything up until now.

These guys have to stop with the replays during live action. And also I fear Strudwick/Smid as our PKers.

JFJ scores!!! Beauty give and go!

30. DropIt says:

2-1 Oilers, :( Kipper is ugly

31. Hockey Noob says:

Racki, I can’t resist this one… Weren’t you just saying that JFJ isn’t a power forward, lol? J/k…

32. DropIt says:

Theres definately some bad blood, Hope to see some fights tonight

My exact words were along the lines of: he shouldn’t focus on goal scoring, but on playing an energy game and let the goals come naturally. I didn’t think he would do as well as he is already so far this pre-season… but I think that still applies to an extent :P

jesus this is off to a great start.

35. Hockey Noob says:

What is with this ref?

Damn, iggyscores.

And back on to what you were talking about Noob, I admit I would never have thought of him being on the top line! More like a Glencross type.

37. DropIt says:

Ok, i gave it half a period, but these broadcasters are rediculous… Back to Peter Maher.

2-2 Iggy

To be honest, Rod Philips is going a bit nuts about the SOuray penalty. That definitely could easily be a roughing call. The Horc call and Brennan were very questionable though.

Hi folks

Holy batman penalties so far!
    Rod – this is clearly an AHL referee…

Edit – like the edit feature Racki, thanks!

40. DropIt says:

Rod Phillips does realise that this is Pre Season doesnt he? Can Broadcasters get fined?

41. Hockey Noob says:

Racki, I was only joking about your previous comments on JFJ. I mean who ever saw him getting so much time on the first line or getting any points during the preseason.

DropIt: I think they could get in trouble by the team they cover, the CRTC, etc, but I can’t see how the NHL could do a damn thing about it.

Plus Rod is legendary, he wouldn’t get fined. Nothing wrong with expressing an opinion, even if it is pretty harsh. The Souray call wasn’t a bad call, but the ref has been making it about him so far, dictating the tone.

Noob: Oh I know you were joking, but there’s some truth to them! There’s no way I pictured JFJ on our top line, even though it’s only pre-season. He looks like he can actually keep up there.

The only thing about Rod going on about the penalties is he’s starting to sound like a DET or SJS commentator.

45. Hockey Noob says:

Penner’s having a good night.

46. DropIt says:

Phillips is a bush league announcer and is not really one to criticize another’s poor job performance

Yah Penner was pretty impressive on that play.

48. OilerTyler says:

I found wi-fi inside Rexall Place, man Smid Is playing bad

DropIt: Racki, I know there is nothing wrong with expressing opinion and i agree… it hasnt been the best officialed game. But to continualy bash him throughout the game is a little much…

Bush league? He’s in the hall of fame for a reason. He’s been a GREAT announcer for the past few decades. The only problem is he’s old as fuckin’ dirt now. So senility is setting in. lol I do agree that he was too harsh on the ref, but you have to remember that he’s a homer. It’s no different than when a Flames announcer calls a game, or a Canucks announcer calls a game, etc…

The Oilers got a slew of penalties in no time, and I think most fans naturally react as though the refs are out to get them. I don’t agree with him on the Souray call in the least, but that Brennan call (the first one) WAS a joke.

But yes, agreed that focusing on it is a bit ridiculous.