GDT: Oilers 3, Winnipeg Lightning 4 (OT) – Pre-Season Game 7 – 2009-09-23

By , September 24, 2009 10:57 am
Lets hope for a more inspired game by the boys...JFJ + Penner excluded.

Lets hope for a more inspired game by the boys...JFJ + Penner excluded.

Sorry for jamming up on Trogdor, but here is the post that says that we know that this site sucks right now and it will be updated with details throughout the day I assume.

Well I missed the game last night to go to a concert featuring bands that I had no interest in seeing. Dragonforce was pretty lame, but then again I only stayed for the first song. Sonata Arctica (the reason I was dragged to this show) put on a decent show I guess, but I’m not really a fan of that type of music.

From what I read this morning, the game sucked. Except for JFJ and Penner. I’ll give Hemsky a pass as he probably doesn’t really give a shit about pre-season (its not like we are going to send him to Springfield and he knows it), but the rest of the team better fucking smarten up right quick.

Not sure of the lines yet, but I’m sure Schremp will have another opportunity to show that he doesn’t belong in the show. Guy’s skill set is so “specific” he’s not worth even a 7th rounder (or I’m sure he would have been traded by now). I hope another team picks him up off of waivers and he fails miserably so I don’t have to hear about him ever again. That would be nice.

Also, read copper and blue because one of the sticking points for firing Mac T (shitty PK last year) just got debunked. And considering that Schremp still sucks I’m wondering how many more of his flaws will be shown to be nonsense. Call me a Mac T sympathizer all you want, but this hate-on you all have for the dude seems ridiculous. And yes, I do realize that Pisani at center is insane, but maybe he was telling Dipshit he needs something better to work with than a hope and prayer.

Listening to the radio this morning Brian Hall had some interesting things to say about Glencross, like how he wanted to be here but didn’t receive a single fucking call from that dipshit. Or how Quinn isn’t liking what he sees from our veterans right now. Should be a fun next week.

And yes, I am cranky today. The Oilers better win.

Oh and look, just prior to hitting publish the oilers site has given me the roster for tonight.

Nilsson — Brule — Stone
MacIntyre — Reddox — Stortini
Moreau — Gagner — Cogliano
Penner — Schremp — Eberle

Grebeshkov — Staios
Chorney — Gilbert
Smid — Visnovsky

Deslauriers and Dubnyk

Pre-game discussion: How much do you currently hate go-daddy, and which veteran do you see on the hot seat?

And hey, when the hell is Duff going to show up for a game?

And it just so happens that Gretzky resigned today…add to the pre-game discussion.

POST GAME RANT (By Racki)

The Good: The line combos weren’t too bad tonight. I liked Penner again, and Schremp didn’t look too bad out there in what very well could be his last game as an Oiler. Gagner and Cogliano were a hot combination tonight, especially so when Nilsson was involved (could we see that line re-united again?). That was probably our most exciting line to watch tonight, and Cogliano looked pretty amazing tonight. I know we all were wanting Dany Heatley here, but I’m pretty thankful Penner and Cogliano are still on this team.

The Oilers battled back pretty well in the 2nd and continued to pour it on in the 3rd as well. Overall a good 2/3s of game played by the Oilers.

JDD was shakey at times, but at other times he was fantastic. He robbed Martin St. Louis a few times, but unfortunately couldn’t stop them all.

The Bad: The first period, the Oil got off to a pretty slow start and fell behind by 2 goals. Overall it wasn’t too bad of a game. It was a tough loss, but the Oil were there for all but that one period.

The Ugly: The loss was partly caused by a HORRIBLE offensive zone penalty by Staios (what the hell was he thinking?). Unlike most fans, he’s not a guy I often put down. But that was just stupidity at it’s highest. With 12 seconds left in the game, I thought for sure it was going to shootout. Thankfully this is just a meaningless pre-season game, but that was instrumental in a loss, which may deflate the team a bit.

Goal scorers haven’t been updated yet, but here they were as I understood it, for the Oil:
1 – Nilsson from Gagner, Gilbert (this one was on the PP)
2 – Cogliano from Grebeshkov
3 – Gilbert from Brule

I may have missed an assist or two, and I can’t remember if any other goals were PP goals, but I don’t believe so.

27 Responses to “GDT: Oilers 3, Winnipeg Lightning 4 (OT) – Pre-Season Game 7 – 2009-09-23”

1. Trogdor says:

Gretz stepped down? I heard he hadn’t been attending training camp. Not sure I’d want to stick around for the sideshow either. I’m sure he can find some work doing Esso commercials again. Either that or retire and enjoy his piles of money.

As for veterans… One guy who I think should be on the bubble is Fernando. I know he’s had some injury issues, but he doesn’t bounce back too well. After last night’s game I think we need a hot corner sectional, not just a seat.

Deslauriers playing defence tonight? Would have liked to see Eberle and Chorney last night, but I guess I’ll have to watch them on TV.

And we have speed again

Bob Mckenzie has a interesting blog up about the oilers.

Also, I think Moreau is on the hot seat even though he is one of my favorite players. And really, if Quinn mentions veteran than it has to be one of 3 I think. Pisani, Moreau or Staios are all making good money and not playing up to that cap hit.

I’m not so sure Staios has been that bad. I know in one of the pre-season games he looked like he was playing playoff hockey. But I haven’t focused on him much after that.

But we do get to see Staios in action tonight, without his partner in disaster (Smid). I wonder how he will fare with Grebs.

Moreau definitely needs to play Moreau hockey. I’m wondering if the thought of bad penalties is stuck in the back of his mind or something, and he’s not playing up to his potential because of that.

Pisani.. well, I have faith he’ll be ok. His game isn’t normally one that will be easily noticeable.

Old news by now, but Gretz resigned as coach of the Coyotes. Position has been filled by Dave Tippett.

I love Pat Quinn’s endorsement of Penner in the pre-game interview. Something a long the lines of “A lot of guys were raggin’ on him before I came in here, but I’ve liked what I’ve seen so far”.

From Jason Gregor of Oilers Nation: I got some confirmation that the Oilers and Predators are kicking each other tires. Nilsson would seem like an obvious choice, but I’ve heard whispers about Pouliot and Pisani as well. Nashville has lots of cap space if they want to acquire either Pisani or Nilsson.

8. OilerTyler says:

Does anyone know what Stone’s penalty was for? Did they call him for a slash, or for not dropping his broken stick right away?

Ray Ferraro didn’t mention

9. Hockey Noob says:

Visnovsky’s understandably taking some time to find his game, he’s made some uncharacteristic mistakes tonight already.

The first period started off pretty well considering how outmatched we are on paper tonight. Brule gets pushed around quite a bit and that trend continues… Every play that he’s in ends with him on the ice. Brule=Le Broom.

Last chance to catch some Rob Schremp hockey tonight–so soak it all up.

OilerTyler: I didn’t hear the call, but I would imagine it was for the weak slash on the stick. He did skate for a few seconds, broken stick in hand, but I don’t think that was the call. Generally you don’t ever see that call happen unless the player hangs on to it for noticeably too long or makes a play with the broken stick.

Noob: I honestly can say I’ve yet to be impressed by Brule at all since seeing him here, but have had hopes for him playing a strong JFJ-like game (minus the fighting… high tempo, physical game). But that looks like it isn’t coming. That’s why I counted him out of my lineup in the thread where Steve-O and I predicted lineups.

I have yet to be impressed with anyone that could fit in a 4th line centre role. I kind of wonder why Brule isn’t playing with Stortini and another energy guy as that’s likely where he’d play if he made the cut. At this point, I’m even considering Reddox in that spot. He’s playing there tonight, so we’ll see how that goes.

NILSSON SKKKEWEERRS!

COGLIANO SCOOOOORRRRRESSS! 2-2

lol @ Nilhouse.. good nickname. Damn this site has really taken a dump.

More and more reasons to switch hosts, so I think I may do this tonight after the game sometime.

14. Hockey Noob says:

Yeah, I don’t say much about it, but it’s slow again dude. I can’t believe this game is tied going into the third. On paper, we don’t have much of a roster tonight relative to the Bolts.

15. steve-o drunk says:

Nilsson needed that goal.

16. Trogdor says:

Missed the first half of the game, but caught both goals. I like the energy tonight, much better than last night. Third period kicking off.

Gilbert with the goal! Nice shot, and good pass by Brule. 3-2 Oil

18. steve-o drunk says:

Yay Gilbert

19. Trogdor says:

Nice goal. Nice win. PK looked good in the third as well, but they had a lot of practice last night. Too bad about the dumb penalty and late goal…

My conclusions after this game:

Schremp is done.
    Staios still sucks.
    Brule is ready.
    Stone is ready.
    Mac will be used properly by Quinn.
    Nilsson is likely tradebait.
    JDD will be very reliable.
    Chorney is better than Staios.
    Gagner still sucks on the dot, well everyone in the lineup did.
    Quinn is about to blow up.

21. Mr.Majestyk says:

I thought Schremp had a good game last night as well. Seems like its not going to be enough which I think is unfortunate.

The BAD: Not just Staios. Our entire defense has been making some really bad blunders in every game. I really hope they sharpen up by next game because we can’t have Strudwick tripping over his skates, Staios taking brutal penalties and Grebs turning the puck over like 2 years ago.

22. Trogdor says:

Yeah, Schremp played well. Still don’t know who might get unloaded though. I heard a rumour about us chatting with Minnesota so someone may be on the move.

Chucker, where’s does JFJ fit in with your predictions? He’s one guy in camp that I definitely liked watching and think we could use with the big club.

You are right Majestyk. This team needs a real shutdown d-man. I mean, Souray is currently the closest thing we have to that. He does much a better job of that then he’ll ever get credit for, but we need someone like a Boynton (doh!) or someone that will punish players coming in our zone and be reliable in our zone. We are missing that.

Chucker: I agree with most of what you said too. Although I think Chorney, Brule and JDD are still all too rough around the edges yet. I’m not even so sure Brule will make the big team at the start of the season. But he had a pretty strong game yesterday though. But most nights he seems to look small (which he is).

Trogdor: Chatting to Minny? Or do you mean Nashville.. because there was rumor about that yesterday. I don’t know who we’d really want from them though.

25. Trogdor says:

Maybe I’m starting my own rumors… Or maybe it was Nashville. Like you say, we may not want anyone from them, but player for a draft pick perhaps?

Yah for sure, I can see that happening. The rumor of Nashville came from Jason Gregor of TEAM 1260. He was mentioning that Nashville can take on some cap (they’re at the floor.. if even). Nilsson, Pisani, and someone else (Staios or Moreau) were names through out. Actually it may have been Pouliot.