Oilers announce 5 more cuts

By , September 27, 2009 9:31 pm

Oilers have announced 5 more cuts

Sent to Springfield Falcons of the AHL: Devan Dubnyk, Kip Brennan, Taylor Chorney
Sent to Regina St. Pats of the WHL: Jordan Eberle
Placed on Waivers: Rob Schremp (if he clears, he’ll be assigned to Springfield).

Theo Peckham was also placed on the IR.

That leaves us with:

Souray
Staios
Strudwick
Visnovsky
Deslauriers
Khabiublin

It’s expected that Pouliot will be put on the IR, allowing us to hang on to another forward for a bit longer. Bob Stauffer and Dan Tencer suspect that this will be Ryan Stone. They also suspect that Liam Reddox and Robert Nilsson will be the next two cuts, and Theo Peckham will be sent back to Springfield once he is healthy.

The Oilers have until Wednesday at 3pm to announce their 23-man roster (plus players on Injured Reserve list). Players needing to clear waivers must be placed on waivers on Tuesday.

24 Responses to “Oilers announce 5 more cuts”

1. Horpensky says:

So Schremp is on waivers right away or do they have until the waiver deadline on Tuesday to trade him?

2. Hockey NOob says:

Horpensky, there’s a good chance Schremp won’t get picked up on the waiver wire which means he would’ve have no value in a trade to anyone.

3. Hockey NOob says:

Wow, I am surprised to hear that Nilsson’s likely to get waived? I guess that potential trade involving him didn’t amount to anything.

4. Horpensky says:

good point, if they really wanted him that bad they’ll most likely trade, but nobody wants him that bad at this point when they can pick him up off the waivers

Technically they have until the deadline to actually put him on waivers, but from what I understand, the Oilers have or will be putting him on waivers tonight / asap.

The Oilers twitter actually says that they put him on waivers though. I’m hoping the NYI grab him. I think he’d be a good fit for an Eastern team.

6. Hockey NOob says:

Yeah, I hope Schremp gets picked up by NYI. He’s from New York state I believe, so he would probably like playing there and he might get a shot on the Islanders with their lack of roster depth.

7. Hockey NOob says:

Racki, I haven’t checked the salary cap numbers, but I think if Nilsson were to stay, we’d likely have cap problems depending on who ends up on IR. ???

I’ll check out capgeek, but I remember Jason Gregor posted on ON about this and we’d barely squeak everyone in. One min here and I’ll dig it up…

Worst case scenario, looks like we’re at 57.36M, minus $1M in bonuses for a cap space of a wopping $442k. Yah, Nilsson’s as good as gone. lol

I would not at ALL be surprised if Pouliot is too, in favor of Stone. Why do we need Pouliot here anymore (not that I ever felt we did) if we have Brule?

10. Hockey NOob says:

I agree that Pouliot’s fallen on the depth chart during this TC. I can’t remember what Quinn said exactly during the post game interview, but it sounded like Stone’s in.

Yah, courtesy of Copper & Blue (I missed that part of the interview):

We’ll have, ah, Jacques in the lineup and likely have Stone in the lineup

12. Mr.Majestyk says:

Pouliot was injured in training camp so he wasn’t able to showcase what he’s got. I’m not a big fan of his, particularly when he’s playing in the regular season, but last year everyone hated him and he was a standout in preseason. I think part of the reason they are sort of holding a spot for him is because he was with the team last year.

Last year he was a standout in preseason, or this year he was a standout in preseason? This season I haven’t seen anything by him that stood out (possibly because he was injured.. possibly because he doesn’t really have that much to showcase), aside from one game where he looked pretty good on the PP. But Rob Schremp is proof that this isn’t a good enough reason to make the team. But in Pouliot’s defence, JFJ is also a prime example that everyone deserves their big opportunity. I just think we’ve seen enough Pouliot to know what to expect. If he could play consistently like he did last year when he was on fire, he would have a better chance. Who knows though, maybe he can. Is it worth dropping a player to find out?

unless stone can win a face off then poo brings more to the table than him

we shit on the management for dropping our second best face off dude, and then we want them to do the same thing again?

It’s too early to tell, but Brule might be our 2nd best faceoff man. And the way Quinn is building the lines, Brule and Pouliot would be competing for the same spot on the draw – 4th line. I’m not too sold on Brule just yet, but if it came between who I’d want to go with full time, I’d take Brule. Great that Pouliot can win draws, but unless I’m wrong here, I believe Brule can too. What does Pouliot bring that Brule doesn’t?

as of right now he has more nhl experience which = better defensively and more points

i bet if you rotated them each in that 4th line position that in the 41 games poo’s in there are less goals against and more goals for with the 4th line…so long as they get the same ice time and same line mates

i like brule, but right now poo’s the better player

OT here, but Hanson broke his hand in the fight with Brule last night.

He was throwing some pretty big bombs, so not too surprised

that’ll show him to mess with brule

20. Hockey Noob says:

Broken hand? I heard something about a concussion too? Brule’s got a pretty damn hard head given that he finished the game after that tilt.

i bet hanson regrets accepting now

22. OilerTyler says:

Does this mean that we can give Brule the win since Hanson got the worst of it?

When you phrase it this way..

Brule: a little blood on the dome and an assist on the game winner.

Hansen: a broken hand and likely out 4-6 weeks