Hold on to your wives…

By , September 3, 2009 1:46 pm
..is Mike Comrie coming back to E-town?

..is Mike Comrie headed back to E-town?

All signs have been pointing to the return of Mike Comrie to Edmonton.

From Robin Brownlee on Oilers Nation: “Mike Comrie still isn’t commenting about his discussions with the Oilers about a return to Edmonton, but I’m telling you that talks are not only ongoing, but getting down to brass tacks. Comrie didn’t speak on the record after skating at Kinsmen Arenas this morning, but we did have a chat and I’ll reiterate once again that there is interest on both sides in exploring a deal.”

Players have also been talking about this. Robert Tychkowski of the Edmonton Sun reports that both Ales Hemsky and Robert Nilsson would welcome Comrie back. Dan Tencer’s twitter updates quote Fernando Pisani as saying “Mike will help us.” Tencer figures this is a bit of a Freudian slip, as the correct phrase for someone not on your team is “Mike could help us.”

For sure though, the two sides have been talking. Tychkowski’s article also points out that two veteran Oilers (unnamed, but former roommate Shawn Horcoff would make sense as one of them) have confirmed that the Oilers and Comrie are talking. In case you missed it, Comrie has also been practicing with the Oilers the past couple of days (although he was said to be wearing a Senators practice jersey at the time).

My thoughts on this, as I’ve said before, are that the Oilers should at least give Mike Comrie an invite to training camp. I was really cold to the idea of coming here, but it actually makes a lot more sense now if you look at our lineup in a different way. If you think of our lines as 2 scoring lines, 1 shutdown line, and 1 energy line, Comrie fits in nowhere here. But if you think of us having three solid scoring lines, then for sure Comrie can fit in here.

That all said, let the speculation begin as to what the lines would be. I would personally say we should try Mike Comrie as our top line LW. He’s a natural center, although he has moved to the wing since leaving Edmonton. The one issue though is he shoots left, and that could hinder him a bit when it comes to accepting one timer passes from Hemsky. However on the powerplay that would work to his advantage, with Hemsky playing the left side.

So this all said, would you welcome Comrie back?

Can Mike Comrie help the Oilers?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

21 Responses to “Hold on to your wives…”

He should be more worried about locking up his ol’ lady

Yah cause for sure she’s take any of us over a guy making 7 figures.

3. Trogdor says:

I’ll admit, I’ve got something in common with Homer J. Simpson. We both drool uncontrollably when thinking about Duff.

That being said, would I accept the other half of the equation? You can’t deny that he’d add another dynamic to the offence, but don’t talk to me about him taking one timers. It would be more like Hemsky saucers it to Comrie, Comrie saucers it to Hemsky, Hemsky saucers it to Comrie, and so on… Not sure I’d make them line mates. It would be a boost to the team, but still not what we need.

Might squeak into 8th, but adding less size to the lineup will end up in a lot of physical punishment and an early exit from the playoffs. I suppose we could unload him or another at trade deadline time to toughen up, but it would be another experiment with unknown results.

Let’s get the season started already so we can stop speculating!

In other news, Tambellini has added yet another face to the Oilers organization. This kind of seemed out of nowhere. But anyways, former journeyman player Mike Sillinger has been hired on as Director of Player Development: “As a member of the Oilers Hockey Management Team, Sillinger will work closely with all Oiler draft picks in the junior, college and European ranks. He will also be working with Edmonton’s prospects in the AHL and ECHL.”

It should be noted that Mike Sillinger showed some dominance in the faceoff circle. Perhaps that is one area he can help this team, at least the up and comers.

6. Greg says:

Racki,

Forget about trying to compete with Comrie’s 7 figure income… Isn’t he the heir to the Brick business empire, lol?

As for Mike Sillinger, if you saw Pisani’s quote on Dan Tencer’s twitter, it’s now hard to say if he meant Mike Sillinger can help the team or Mike Comrie. I guess we’ll probably find out tomorrow about Comrie.

Dang, who wouldn’t rather have that money spent on someone like Malhotra?

Its Duff, she isn’t banging any dude for the money.

And bringing in Sillinger, didn’t we bash the crap out of the previous management group for sticking too close with their own group.

Seems like the same thing, just van doesn’t have the sparkling history of the oil

Oh, and based on Duff’s last few dudes she isn’t exactly the most picky person either, at least for someone who rolls in such esteemed company such as myself

Steve-O: In fairness, Mike Sillinger belonged to everyone’s group. He must’ve set some sort of record for the number of teams he’s played with.

Noob: Damn, that’s right. Damn you Dan Tencer!

11. Mr.Majestyk says:

Hey Racki, do you remember Tony McKegney? I think that guy played for a ton of teams as well.

I looked it up. He played for 7 different clubs in 13 NHL seasons including two tours with the Nordiques. Its not 12 teams, but still thats a lot of teams when free agency wasn’t such a big factor like it is today.

Yah I remember Tony McKegney (most notably with the Nords). 7 clubs is definitely a lot. 12 clubs is unbelievable! :P I seriously wonder who holds the record on that.

Actually, wonder no more.. it IS Mike Sillinger. Good list of guys here: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/players/most_teams.html

Thanks for that list Racki – Bobby Sheehan, now there’s a name I haven’t heard for a long time…he played for the Montreal Voyageurs the season before they moved to Halifax and became the Nova Scotia Voyageurs (the Vees). They must have played some exhibition games or something in Halifax before they moved permanently because I distinctly remember my dad raving on and on about him…I can’t remember if I saw him play or not. I had no idea he played for the Oilers either.

I remember Tony McKegney too…mostly with Buffalo. I think I might even have his card somewhere.

Excuse me while I get my cane and geritol, suddenly I feel very old.

Your talking about the Voyageurs suddenly made me feel young again.. thank you! :lol:

You guys forgot Brent Ashton.

If Comrie is signed, then there is a trade in the works. Guaranteed.

Ha Ha, no problem. Guess I should take a page out of your book! I do have fond memories of following the Vees and saw a lot of future Habs greats come through. I also remember listening to Vees road games long after my bedtime with my transistor radio under the covers – and getting caught doing that many times!

Last year the Mooseheads had a tribute night to the Vees, they wore replica jerseys and even brought in the organ player from the Forum – the old guy could still belt out the tunes, brought back memories of when the organ was the only interlude between whistles! They auctioned off the jerseys and I was lucky enough to get one, never had an original one growing up.

I loved going to the old Forum for games and it’s pretty cool to still be able to go there and watch my son play now, we nearly lost it to the wrecking ball a few years ago but it was saved and brought out of disrepair and a pretty integral part of the community. Have to be careful though because pigeons often get in and you have to watch yourself when they fly above you!!

Anyway, I’ll take my memories and head off to bed before I ramble any longer…

Oh – re the Mikes – Sillinger will be working mostly with the prospects but like you, I do hope he has time to work on faceoffs with the current roster. I was wistfully looking at his numbers earlier today. I was hoping though for someone to take faceoffs now, not just teach them, but sounds like his hiring will be great for the Oilers of the future.

Re the other Mike, I’ll have to reserve judgement until I see where he fits in, if in fact this is going to happen. If something is up they will likely announce it tomorrow. I still would prefer they just invite him to TC and see what he brings, to me that’s the best compromise given there have been conflicting rumour confirmations and denials as well as rumblings of differences amongst management. So make him earn a spot instead of just handing him one. We do need the offence, just not sure what the $$ and potential points differential would be depending on who loses a spot.

18. Mr.Majestyk says:

I like the idea of Sillinger helping out our Centers with taking draws. I can’t remember exactly what the old adage is but its something to do with buying someone a fish, they’ll eat for a day, but if you teach them to fish they’ll eat everyday. These are our core guys going forward so anything that Sillinger can pass on that will improve their game, and faceoffs, is awesome.

Yah, I’m not sure how involved Sillinger will be with the NHL players. As the Oilers’ e-mail stated, he’ll be working closely with AHL and ECHL players, so I’m thinking it’s more the players that are not in the NHL that will get the benefit. But who knows.

Chucker: Who do you think is going to be moved? That would make sense though. Even if we go with 3 scoring lines, someone is getting pushed out of the lineup. I’d like to see them bundle some guys together and get a REAL shutdown d-man.

Lowetide speculates if Comrie is signed, Cogs would be on his way out, and possibly Comrie would be bait (not trade bait) to lure Heatley to accept a trade to us. Others are speculating Heatley is dead to the Oilers and Nilsson would be traded to make room for Comrie.

So, if the first scenario comes true, we could be looking at bringing in 2 guys who have had issues with commitment to the Oilers in the recent and long ago past, guys who don’t know if they could be happy & productive in Edmonton. If it does work, especially with Heatley, it would make Hemsky happier and increase his production. However, we would be moving a young guy with potential who wants to stay and probably 1-2 others (depending on what a new deal would be for Heatley).

If the second scenario comes true, well that would be the safer move. So if any of this is being considered, what would you do? Would you roll the dice?

Yah I don’t buy into Lowetide’s thoughts (although generally he’s an easy guy to agree with). I would be surprised if the Oilers did that. I’m hoping that Cogliano is here to say. I love Moreau’s comment on the near-trade and Cogliano’s increased desire to prove himself (which really, has he not proven himself to us? I’d say he has). I’m too lazy to go back and check, but he basically said that Cogliano is going to prove that he shouldn’t be mentioned in ANY trade rumor. Love it. I also love that Cogliano is aiming for 30 goals this year. Yah, I want to keep this guy. I love Heatley’s 50 goals. But fuck Heatley. Cogliano plays hockey for the Oilers. Dany Heatley plays for himself.

I also like that Robert Nilsson has worked really hard in the off-season (someone – Jason Gregor? – mentioned that he has bulked up quite a bit). So I’m even giving him the benefit of the doubt this year. But so far he’s the most likely one out.

I’ve been so on the fence with Comrie. My first reaction was no way in hell. But then I started warming up to the idea. The only way I see Comrie working here is if we roll 3 scoring lines. Other than that, I’d rather go with who we have.

Really though, why would Lowetide thing Comrie has any luring power to bring in Heatley? For one, he wants to get away from his team right now, so he doesn’t sound like a team player. For two, did they even really get any time to play together on the same line? (that I’m not sure, but I would doubt it)