Hockey Pool

By , September 20, 2009 11:21 am

Hop in the pool!

Hop in the pool!

It’s almost regular season time, folks. That means it’s hockey pool time! Putting on the Foil visitor “gr8one” has kindly offered to manage a Yahoo! league. It’s a 12-team league, and there are 3 teams taken already (myself, gr8one and his fiancée). So if you do the math, that means you have to hurry the heck up and join if you want to join.

So how do you join? Shoot gr8one an e-mail at: bcory_74@yahoo.com and he will reply back with the instructions on how to join. Note: please include your username that you use here (if you have one) or one that you use on the Oilers Message Board or other locations.

23 Responses to “Hockey Pool”

1. OilerTyler says:

I am definately getting in on this

2. Haboiler says:

me too…

Awesome, don’t forget to e-mail gr8one!

4. Mr.Majestyk says:

not to steal gr8one’s thunder but a bunch of OMB members are doing a fantasy league as well. OilerGM is running it and the draft is tentatively being held tonight at 7pm. We’ve only got 8 people in it, but if a couple of you guys want to be in 2 leagues, welcome to join. I prefer when there are atleast 10 teams personally.

haha Racki, love the graphic, good find.

anyways, I just sent out official league invites to the people that have sent me emails thus far, and as Racki said so far the “official” joinees are

Me.
    Mrs. Me
    Mr. Racki
    and Invites sent out that have not joined yet are

HockeyNoob
    Steve-O
    HabOilers
    OilerTyler
    Pharsyde

so, I guess that leaves 4 spots open so far.

Just a few things I’d like to say though,

Firstly, I have the LIVE draft set for Sunday the 27th at 3:00 pm, and you’ll get all the deatails in the official invite letter.

If you can’t make it for that time, please make sure you pre-set your draft rankings and set it to autopick.

Secondly, if you think you might lose interest mid season and stop managing your team, please, don’t join, it really sucks playing in a fantasy league where some managers stop “playing”.

if you’ve never played yahoo fantasy, one thing that is annoying is that you will be required to create a yahoo email acount, but that only takes a few minutes, and if you accept the invite sent to you, it will walk you through it.

as far as time involved, I’d say about an hour a week to set the upcoming weeks rosters and maybe do a little research would be plenty of time to be an active manager, and keep an eye/ear open in between to make adjustments for injuries/slumps etc. so, really, time involved should not be too bad.

if you have any other questions, let me know, you all can post here, or email me @ my yahoo account

bcory_74@yahoo.com

oh yeah, and Mr.Majestyk, I have no thunder to steal, I wanted it posted here simply because it would hopefully weed out some of the *cough*idiots*cough* at the Oilers forum.

and also, there is certainly no rule against being in more than one fantasy, and as a matter of fact, if the response here gets to such a point that two leagues are feasable I’d consider commishing another league.

UPDATE:

OK, so far the CONFIRMED managers that are currently in the league are:

Me
    Mrs.Me
    Racki
    HabOilers
    Pharsyde

and requests sent out so far that have not accepted are:

HockeyNoob
    Steve-O
    OilerTyler
    StanleyOil

and apparently Trogdor wants in, but I have not received an email as of yet.

so, if you all actually get off your asses and join, that gives us 10. I’ll let you do the math on how many we need to fill the league up.
    however, we cannot have an un-even number of teams, so if we only get one more manager request, you will be S.O.L.(“shit outta luck” for those of you that are acronym challenged)

oh yeah, and if we do start getting more requests than roster spots, those of you that have not accepted your team request by say…Thursday, I will cease and desist holding on to your spots and give them to the next person[s] on the list.

if you are on the above noted list(aside from Trogdor) and have not received a yahoo league request in your email for whatever reason, let me know and I will send another request.

contact me @ bcory_74@yahoo.com

:).

In and ready to rock and roll…team name is Layin Pipe

9. DropIt says:

G – Marty Turco
    G – Pekka Rinne
    BN – Chris Kunitz
    BN – John Tavares
    BN – Steve Montador
    BN – Tomas Vokoun

sweet, this is shaping up good.

we now have 8 official managers that have accepted the invite, and I just got two more requests, so that makes the league -unofficially- full now.

but, 4 people have still not accepted the invites, so hurry up people!

Mr.Maj

that team looks pretty badass to be honest, your forwards especially, decent D, but I personally am not a fan of having players from the same team in my fantasy D corps.

and Turco is a scary goalie to have, I think he’ll rebound well, but man he was horrific last year, especially from a fantasy standpoint. Rinne should be good though, and Vokoun was a great fantasy goalie last year too, so at least you have some decent goalie depth.

13. Mr.Majestyk says:

Haha, yeah I kind of went all out with my forwards and had to pick up the D and tenders towards the end of it. I normally don’t take 2 D from the same team, especially from the Oilers but both guys were way down on the fantasy list(Lubo was injured so he’s way way down the list)and I couldn’t pass them up. I think of all my goaltenders as being the biggest gambles on my team. Turco has been a great starter for many years and he always gets a good amount of wins, if the Stars rebound he might be alright.

14. DropIt says:

^

Mr.Majestyk: We completed our draft last night. I had 1st pick overall and there was a total of 8 GM’s. This is my team, let me know what you think…C – Joe ThorntonC – Vinny LecavalierLW – Alex OvechkinLW – Ilya KovalchukRW – Daniel AlfredssonRW – Mike KnubleF – Marc SavardF – Brad BoyesD – Dennis WidemanD – Lubomir VisnovskyD – Tom GilbertD – Marc-Edourd VlasicG – Marty TurcoG – Pekka RinneBN – Chris KunitzBN – John TavaresBN – Steve MontadorBN – Tomas Vokoun

Thats a pretty good team, offensively anyways. im not overly thrown back by the defense. but that offfense should get some points

Sounds like we’ve got a pretty good group for our pool!

Btw, Trogdor is in, but for some reason had some troubles receiving the invite or something. I’ll forward it off to him.

Yeah Racki,

I got a request from Trogdor and replied to him, but it was a pretty official looking e-mail domain that I replied to, which I presume is his employer, and it is highly likely that the yahoo stuff I replied with got caught in some filter.

anyways, here’s another update,

10 official managers so far.

Me
    Mrs.Me
    Racki
    HabOilers
    Pharsyde
    HockeyNoob
    Steve-O
    Dropit
    OilerTyler

and an “oilers9909″ which should be either StanleyOil or Trogdor.

so, whoever Oilers9909 ISN’T still needs to join, and then the last roster spot is a guy that I know but he doesn’t come around here but has said he will be joining.

18. Trogdor says:

Yeah, I figured work may have blocked that one out. At least the internet filter still allows me to manage my team, so that’s a good thing.

GO BURNINATORS!!!

19. stanleyoil says:

Oilers9909 is me. I have been using the team name for years now.

heh, yeah, once the “Burninator” joined and it was so obvious who that was, by sheer process of elimination I knew it was you StanleyOil.

Well, I guess that makes us officially full, still waiting on my buddy to accept, but I’m pretty sure he will.

I’m pretty stoked about this league, there are some pretty cool shits in it, and everyone is so knowledgeable, it’s going to be an interesting draft!

and just for everyone’s information, league rules stipulate that if the Commissioner(me) finishes anywhere in the standings from first to twelfth place, each and everyone one of you bastids owes me a beer next time I’m in Canada!

REMINDER:

Draft day tomorrow(Sunday the 27th)

I sent out a league wide email to the account you signed up with as another reminder. Good luck all!

22. DropIt says:

I missed the draft:( I had to work…

So, I’m laying down trades to adjust!