GDT: Oilers 5, Canucks 4 – Final Pre-season Game – 2009-09-27

By , September 27, 2009 7:30 am
Edmonton Oilers Pre-season GDT: Oilers vs. Canucks - 2009-09-27

Edmonton Oilers Pre-season GDT: Oilers vs. Canucks - 2009-09-27

First off, I know my picture is not quite as awesome as Steve-O’s art, but if you do one up today, you can replace this picture with yours ;)

Ohhh yah! It’s the final game of the pre-season folks, which means the regular season is just around the corner. Saturday vs. the Flames, to be exact. So tonight’s game is likely our last opportunity to see one or two players for a bit. A few “bubble” players will likely make up line 4. Friday and Saturday’s top 9 lines didn’t change. However the 4th line went from Nilsson Brule Stone to Eberle Reddox Pisani. What we’ll see tonight is a mystery to me, but I’ll update the lines as soon as I find them.

Edit: Line up has been updated. Not sure about the defence yet, and one component on the 4th line, but I’ve filled in my guesses there:

EDMONTON OILERS LINE-UP

JFJ Horcoff Hemsky
Penner O’Sullivan Comrie
Reddox Gagner Cogliano
MacIntyre Brule Stortini

Here is my guesstimation of who will play D, as well:

Souray Gilbert

39 Cody Hodgson C
42 Kyle Wellwood C
55 Shane O’Brien D
56 Matt Pope RW
65 Sergei Shirokov
73 Tanner Glass RW

Edited: Moreau is out tonight, due to a minor injury (pulled muscle of some sort). Pouliot is also out… sounds like he might be hurt as well. Pisani is out due to injury. As mentioned, he skated Saturday after taking Friday off due to back problems. Note, MacIntyre is now playing on line 3 with Gagner and Cogliano. Wait, what? MacIntyre? Yep. I don’t get that one. I must admit, if this was last year, and MacTavish pulled the same stunt, I’d be laying into him. So I guess MacTavish isn’t the only one that comes up with crazy lineups. But I’ll give it a chance and reserve judgement for now, but that just strikes me as a bad idea unless Big Mac is only going to get a few minutes there while someone else from the 4th line draws in. I thought Stortini with the two was a bit odd, but that’s at least more reasonable.

Tonight’s game starts at 6:00PM and will be streamed again on Oilers.NHL.com. And as usual, we’ll try and link the feed here, and chat in this thread about the game live. It should be a pretty interesting week leading up to October 3rd as Quinn makes his final roster. There seems to be no question about which defense will make the line up as well as the goalies. All that remains to be seen is the forwards, and tonight will likely be a last chance for a couple of guys to make a good impression with Quinn.

Update: MacIntyre ended up playing from line 4, not line 3. Reddox filled in on the 3rd line wing.

1st Period Recap:

7:47 – EDM – Comrie from Hemsky
Nice goal featuring some vintage Hemsky moves.. wheeling around, he swings back to the blue line, dances around a Canuck and fires it on net.. Comrie taps in the rebound. Penner also instrumental on that play with his big body clogging up the goal area.

9:47 – VAN – Welwood from Mitchell
Welwood scores on a break away after I believe O’Sullivan coughed it up to Mitchell.

15:15 – EDM – Comrie from Visnovsky, O’Sully
O’Sullivan skates into the zone, stops, dishes it back to a streaking Visnovsky who dekes out a couple of defenders and fires a beautiful pass to Comrie who is right on the doorstep for the easy tap in on a wide open cage.

17:34 – EDM – PP – Horcoff from Jacques, Hemsky
Hemsky passes to JFJ down to the right of the Canucks goaltender, and JFJ flips a backhand pass over to Horcoff who is waiting to the goaltenders left for the one-timer back door play.

Other highlights:
- Strudwick beats up Rome despite having the jersey pulled up over his face.
- JFJ hits Salo pretty hard behind the Canucks net
- More vintage Hemsky as he comes flying into the Canucks zone and attempts to beat Schneider, but to no avail. He falls pretty awkwardly into the corner afterwards, but was ok.

1st Period shots: Vancouver 9, Edmonton 12

2nd Period Recap:

2:39 – VAN – PP – Salo from Bieksa and Shirokov (or Shiropov, if you’re Rod Phillips)
Canucks score less than 30 seconds into Sam Gagner’s penalty. Sammy Salo receives the pass from Bieksa and takes a slap shot from the faceoff circle to Khabi’s right, beating both Visnovsky and Khabibulin.

8:03 – VAN – PP – H. Sedin from D. Sedin, Shirokov
Daniel over to Henrik who’s waiting back door for the tap in. Earlier in the play, Cogliano gets hit hard by Salo. Looked like a shot to the knee as Cogliano tried to evade the check.

12:52 – EDM – PP – JFJ from Horcoff, Souray
Hemsky is rushed by two Vancouver players but still manages to make a beauty pass to Souray. Souray directs it to the net where it pinballs to Horcoff.. he fires a perfect cross-crease pass over to JFJ who dives forward to tap poke it past Schneider. Gorgeous looking goal.

Other highlights:
- Khabibulin robs Burrows with a big blocker save (get that man a drink of water!!).
- On the 2nd PP goal for Vancouver, Cogliano was hit hard by Salo and it looked like there was knee contact. Cogliano returned to the game not long after, so looks like he is fine.
- Hemsky yet again blows past everyone in alone but can’t quite beat Schneider.
- Oilers first penalty leads to another penalty call just after O’Sullivan makes a beautiful effort to get in tight on Schneider.

2nd period shots – Vancouver 6/15, Edmonton 8/20

3rd Period Recap:

1:16 – VAN – PP – Ehrhoff from Hodgson
Yet another PP goal for the Canucks, as they make a mockery of our PK. Hodgson and Ehrhoff skate into the Oilers zone and full speed. Ehrhoff dishes to Hodgson, and all three of Gilbert, Penner and Strudwick focus on Hodgson, who passes it back to Ehrhoff who meanwhile has easily skated in behind everyone, alone on Khabibulin for the goal.

3rd period shots: Vancouver 8/25, Edmonton 7/27

Other highlights
- Staios somehow gets a penalty for interference on Hordichuk who was skating towards the net. Staios drove him right towards Khabibulin. The Oilers finally kill that PK off, although Vancouver got a penalty part way through that PK (about 20 seconds left) to help them along.
- Some kid busts a move and is caught on camera… not sure why I posted this, but it made me laugh!
- Brule and Hansen take off the buckets and go at it. Before Brule really knows how fearce that fight was going to be, Hansen is throwing hard bombs at his head. It looked pretty viscious in there. A dog fight; haymakers from both sides, but Hansen got off to a great start. Brule skates to the dressing room for repairs, bloodied up after that one. I’ll put the homerism aside… win to Hansen, but good fight by Brule.
- Horcoff and co rush into the Canucks zone. Horcoff fires it to the middle of the net from the right boards.. Jacques redirects it on net, but is stopped by Schneider.
- O’Sullivan breaks in one on two, but powers past the Vancouver D somehow, on his way by he is held up, but still manages to get a weak one handed shot on goal. Definitely a missed holding call there, but what a nice play by O’Sullivan.
- JFJ hits O’Brien.. nothing big.. a fair bit after O’Brien has released the puck, really hammering into everyone’s minds that “JFJ finishes checks”. Later on, JFJ finishes another check on O’Brien, drawing some chirps from O’Brien. JFJ wiggles the gloves a bit, and O’Brien flees the scene.
- Visnovsky buries Daniel Sedin into the boards in the Edmonton zone, but from behind, earning the penalty.

OVERTIME SUMMARY

1:57 – EDM – Gilbert from Penner, Brule
Brule wins the draw, and Penner “serves one up on a platter” (Stauffer’s words) for Gilbert who hammers one to the net, roof daddy past Schneider.

Overtime shots: Vancouver 2/27, Edmonton 1/28
Other Highlights
- Our PKing defencemen d-men to start overtime are Strudwick and Smid… not sure I agree with that, but it worked out this time as the Oilers kill a critical one.

POST-GAME RANT

Wow, what a game. Where to start?

JFJ… this was the JFJ show tonight. If anyone wasn’t a fan… if Quinn was unsure if he could rely on him on line 1… well that ended any doubts. Pencil in JFJ for top line LW come October 3rd. He was throwing his body around, and making nice passes, and finishing equally nice passes. That top line was money tonight. It looked like a real top line. And it’s good to see that we can spread the size over a few lines. I guess Quinn wasn’t crazy when he said he saw some big bodies here.

MacIntyre was originally slated for 3rd line with Gagner/Cogliano, but Reddox played there instead and Big Mac sat back on his natural line 4 spot with Brule and Stortini. MacIntyre was pretty much a non-factor tonight, by my count.. so I wonder if he will remain in the line up come Wednesday at 3:00pm (deadline to have the 23-man roster in).

Cogliano and Gagner again looked good. Reddox was completely out of place with those two though. He did set up Cogliano on a short-handed play to end the 3rd period, but aside from that, he didn’t impress.

Our PK… well, this was a complete turnaround from what we saw vs. Calgary. Brutal, is all I can say. Hopefully they fix the problems with it.

O’Sullivan was deserving of a start as well tonight. He was all over the ice and doing everything he needed to do. He looked like the O’Sullivan I was excited about acquiring. Him and Comrie continue their spectacular chemsitry.

So after tonight, I think I can safely say that JFJ is a 100% lock for this team. I have a feeling that barring players on the IR (which could happen with Pouliot, from what I understand), MacIntyre and Reddox will be cut, among others.

159 Responses to “GDT: Oilers 5, Canucks 4 – Final Pre-season Game – 2009-09-27”

1. Trogdor says:

What? No Schremp? Steve-O will be crying himself to sleep tonight…

Pisani should be fighting for a spot too, put him out there with the others and see who looks better. Yeah, I know, he’s been resting an injury lately. I thought Eberle would get sent down just because he can and waivers aren’t involved, but he’s earned his ice time. Good to see him in the line up.

Eberle was just at practice yesterday, so no guarantee he’ll be playing in today’s game, or continuing to play on this roster past today. And as much as I like to see him play his 9 games here and get sent down, him staying here basically means someone else gets cut and sent through waivers.. so I’m not sure I can see that happening.

Actually the real lines are up now… will update momentarily.. Pisani is out (injured).

Wow, MacIntyre is playing with Gagner and Cogliano. Good thing it’s pre-season. I think I get what Quinn is doing now though. He’s probably seeing if MacIntyre can keep up and play with the big boys. If not, sionara. Just a bit of proof that everyone on this team has to be able to play hockey. However, if this somehow becomes a permanent line, I take back everything I said about the MacBlender!

I’m excited. This means that final cuts are likely tomorrow. I’m expecting a surpise or two.

HF had Nashville interested in Pisani. I wonder if there is a trade brewing. Also saw that Cullimore and Calder were released by Anaheim today. Vets are being cut on almost every team in the league. Does it happen here?

Yah this team SHOULD be cutting loose some vets. We might see that, who knows. I think Quinn is the guy who has the balls to do it.

Btw, hockey pool draft starts in less than 10 minutes, if you are in the pool. You can join the draft now, some of us are in there already.

Lines have once again been updated with new information from the Oilers homepage. Looks like Vancouver is icing a good team, but still sitting a few of their better players. Hopefully we can be the only team to hand them a loss this pre-season.

8. Mr.Majestyk says:

That sucks that Schremp isn’t back in tonight. I like Big Mac, but it seems to me that everyone knows what he brings to the table. I’m not sure he has anything to prove whereas Schremp and even Nilsson probably want to be in there.

hahah, big mac with some skill guys!!

bring on your power forward prowess!!!

lol, I say plant him in front of the net on the PP too while we’re at it!

Yah, I wonder though if Quinn has seen enough of those guys though to make his call, but not enough on MacIntyre. The way I see it, Quinn probably isn’t sold on MacIntyre, but is giving him a shot at proving he can do more than just intimidate. I don’t really think MacIntyre has it in him to keep up to Gagner and Cogliano, but I wouldn’t have thought JFJ could roll with Hemsky/Horcoff either. My prediction, tonight’s game confirms Quinn’s decision to keep or cut Big Mac.

I was just thinking about our starting day lineup.

kind of outside the box, but waddya think of…

Penner Gagner Hemsky
    Cogliano O`Sullivan Comrie
    JFJ Horcoff Stone
    Moreau Brule Stortini

12. Mr.Majestyk says:

so do you think he’d keep Brennan over Big Mac, or just have Storts as our enforcer?

I wouldn’t be surprised if when people are healthy are lines end up being:

JFJ Horcoff Hemsky
    Penner O’Sullivan Comrie
    Cogliano Gagner Pisani
    Moreau Brule/Pouliot Stortini

Basically every line has a bit of scoring potential, but more importantly has someone with some size, and someone that can play defence well.

14. Mr.Majestyk says:

gr8one: I was just thinking about our starting day lineup.kind of outside the box, but waddya think of…Penner Gagner HemskyCogliano O`Sullivan ComrieJFJ Horcoff StoneMoreau Brule Stortini

nah, with the players we’ve got going, I think there’s a better chance that we try and go with 3 scoring lines and JFJ/Horcoff/Stone just doesn’t seem like a very good scoring line.

I’d try

Penner/Horcoff/Hemsky
    JFJ/Gagner/Comrie
    Cogliano/O’Sully/Stone
    Moreau/Brule/Stortini

Well at least we all agree that our 4th line should be Moreau Brule Stortini. :P

I can’t go to tonights game:

JasonGregorWant two tickets to tonights’s oiler game? First person to email me at jason@justagame.ca wins them!

Someone want those tickets? Jump on it quick.. he posted that 12 mins ago..

18. Mr.Majestyk says:

Racki: Mr.M, I’d say Stortini/JFJ are our enforcers. People are giving Brennan a bit more credit than he deserves. He’s been around a while. I’ve run across a couple of people that made comments about him thinking he was in his early 20s, but he’s 29. He’s not someone that is developing a better game at all. At this point, I’d sooner see Big Mac here than Brennan. There’s zero reason to replace Mac with Brennan, really.Gr8one: Lots of people want to see Gagner/Hemsky together, but I personally don’t think it’s a good idea yet. I still say Horcoff is our best option at #1C. Definitely some outside the box ideas, but maybe something we could see on this team in a year or two. Hell, maybe even part way into the season, but I don’t think Quinn would do that just yet.

I always laugh when I see Kip Brennan because my buddy and I have an inside joke about him from when he played in Jr. He was playing for the Wolves at the time, and of course he was no stranger to the fisticuffs, I think the Fronts had Sean Avery at the time and they had a few scraps at this one game and these dudes sitting infront of us were Scottish, or Irish or some UK accent. Well, they didn’t shut up the entire game, and when Brennen laid someone out with a nasty hit it was “you piece of shit Brennan!” among other things that I’d rather not mention in here. Anyways, the hockey hooligans were all over him that night, and so now, even when he’s on the Oilers, I love using a fake accent and saying “you piece of shit Brennan!!”

Game feed is up on the front page of the site, or click here.

20. Hockey Noob says:

Racki, did you give Bulin some Gatorade or an IV before the game?

No, I just swiped the salted peanuts out of his dressing room stall though.

what a beauty goal! Nice wheels by Hemsky.. he’s back in business

23. Hockey Noob says:

Lol, Racki!

Dang, Comrie missed a great feed from Cogliano with that bouncing pass on the wide open net! Hemmer’s back!

24. Hockey Noob says:

Anyone else have problems with the game feed? Maybe, it’s just my computer or internet… It keeps stopping though–even directly from the Oilers site.

25. Hockey Noob says:

Staios is making some bad turnovers already in this one…

i liked that tv timeout thing with the scrappers

Damn, goal post by O’Sully

Noob: yah the feed has been pretty bad. My feed is just directly from the Vancouver site (which for all intents and purposes is the same as the Oil site’s feed). There’s no added lag caused from embedding the player on this site, so I think they were just having some technmotronic diffa-maculaties. ;) Seems ok for now.

Commmmmrie scooorreesss

Horrrcofffff from Jacques/Hemsky on the PP!

31. Hockey NOob says:

Lovely!! My internet and computer both crashed… back up and I miss two goals, can someone update me?

32. OilerTyler says:

If any of you guys paid any attention to the champ that was rolling out the carpet for the anthem singer, that was me

1st Period Recap:
    7:47 – EDM – Comrie from Hemsky
    9:47 – VAN – Welwood from Mitchell
    15:15 – EDM – Comrie from Visnovsky, O’Sully
    17:34 – EDM – PP – Horcoff from Jacques, Hemsky

Other highlights:
    Strudwick beats up Rome despite having the jersey pulled up over his face.
    JFJ hits Salo pretty hard behind the Canucks net

Goal number one was a nice vintage Hemmer goal.. wheeling around, he swings back to the blue line, dances around a Canuck and fires it on net.. Comrie taps in the rebound.

Oilers goal 2- Visnovsky fires a beautiful pass to Comrie who is right on the doorstep for the easy tap in on a wide open cage.

Oilers goal 3 – Hemsky passes to JFJ down to the right of the Canucks goaltender, and JFJ flips a pass over to Horcoff who is waiting to the goaltenders left for the one-timer back door play.

And tyler: sorry, Missed your 15 seconds of fame. lol

JFJ’s looking more and more natural on that line, and it’s good that we’re finally seeing the real Hemsky and Horcoff.

ITS SHIROKOV, NOT SHIROPOV! Damn it Rod..

38. Hockey NOob says:

Thanks for the updates Racki… My computer’s smoked… something wrong with my display driver.

Racki: ITS SHIROKOV, NOT SHIROPOV! Damn it Rod..

At least he attempted a name…better than “ummm, a canuck player passes it to … ummm, a… ummm… the canuck d-man”

Damn, that sucks Noob. But I’m writing up a summary of all the highlights of period 2 like I did for period 1.

so these are the top two lines?

Man the lines are really clicking tonight. Our top line actually looks like a top line too.

43. Hockey NOob says:

If JFJ can keep this level of play up, Quinn’s going to look like a freaking genius, lol…

I’ve seen enough of Reddox–hopefully for a while with any luck.

JFJ with the stone hands.

How’s Bulin been?

Chucker, those hands are looking like butter tonight. Very soft.. not the JFJ I once knew :P Most importantly, he seems to be in the right places at the right times.

Chucker: Bulin looks like he could use a drink!

Yeah, JFJ has had an amazing camp. Good to see. I take it our D has been giving Bulin fits. Maybe some vodka in his bottle.

Or did you mean he looks dehydrated again? :)

Nice goal there on the replay JFJ.