GDT: Oilers 4, Flames 1 – Pre-season Game 1 – 2009-09-15

By , September 14, 2009 11:00 pm
Edmonton Oilers GDT - Pre-season 09/09/15 - vs. Flames

Edmonton Oilers GDT - Pre-season 09/09/15 - vs. Flames

UPDATE: Game has ended, post game summary at the bottom before the comments.

It’s game time, finally! First pre-season game of the season, and I’m sure we’re all stoked. The good news is, every single pre-season game will be streamed from the Oilers website, save for the game vs. the Lightning in Winnipeg which is already on TSN.

Game Line-ups

Edmonton Oilers Line Up

Jacques — Horcoff — Schremp
O’Sullivan — Comrie — Stone
Brennan — Paukovich -Stortini
Moreau — Potulny — Minard

Gilbert — Chorney
Staios — Arsene
Plante — Strudwick

Dubnyk starts
JDD backing up

Calgary Flames Roster

(as per the Flames website)
Boyd, Dustin C
Pardy, Adam LD
Pelech, Matt RD
Prust, Brandon LW
Stuart, Colin LW
Irving, Leland G
Keetley, Matt G

Flames are going to be missing all the big guys. No Iginla, Bouwmeester, Regehr, Bouwmeester or Kipper.

I’d like to invite anyone to post your comments on the game, as it is played live here, if you like. The Oilers forum and other sites have a long tradition of fans posting on their sites as the game is live, and I’d be happy to see the same thing happen here. I expect that it will take a while before that really takes off, but feel free to be one of the people to say “oh I used to post on the game day threads on The Foil way back in the day.” :P

POST GAME SUMMARY

Edmonton 4
Calgary 1

Here are the point getters for both teams:

1. P. O’Sullivan (10:11 – 1st) from Plante and Gilbert.
2. P. O’Sullivan (01:25 – 2nd) from Comrie and Stone
3. J. Jaffray (PPG, 10:26 – 3rd) from Lundmark
4. S. Horcoff (EN, 19:32 – 3rd) unassisted

Click here for boxscore

For the Schremp fans, he looked pretty decent in the way of passing. I even saw him back checking all the way behind his own goal line at one point early on. He looked pretty solid running the PP. One one particular play on the PP, he fired a laser over to Horcoff, Hemsky-style. But alas, it was saved.

The vets – Moreau, Horcoff and Staios – each looked pretty solid out there. Horcoff really had a good game and was busting his butt the whole time. Comrie was also a demon out there, especially on the powerplay, wheeling around. On the 2nd powerplay, I would say it was all him as he circled behind the net and fired it into a crowd to which O’Sullivan punched it home from within the crease (O’Sullivan had some good luck tonight, but that’s how it can go when you actually shoot the puck).

There were a couple of fights in the game. In the first one, Dean Arsene threw a few awkward looking punches at Garth Murray, but nothing really landed. More of a wrestle-fest. In the second one, Stortini took on Prust. I thought he handled him quite well and got the win, landing a couple of good shots.

The penalty kill was really solid tonight (with exception to the one goal by Jaffray). Credit to Horcoff mostly for that. He was paired up with JFJ, and the two looked very reliable there. O’Sullivan also drew a lot of ice time (with Stone).

Didn’t see much of Kip Brennan.. at least not noticeable, but he threw a huge hit on a Flame early on.

From what I saw of “Mean” Dean Arsene, he looked pretty reliable out there playing with Staios. At one point, the Flames even had a 3-on-2 and he and Staios did a good job of breaking up the play. Solid game for Arsene, even if his fight wasn’t anything to write home about.

Taylor Chorney looked not too bad, but he missed a wiiiide open in period two.

JDD and Dubnyk both were pretty solid in the nets. JDD stopped all he faced through 1 and a half, but wasn’t tested really that hard. Dubnyk’s one goal allowed game with the Flames on the powerplay. Lundmark fired a beautiful stretch pass to Jaffray who got in behind our last man back. He came in all alone and fired a wrister from the right dot, beating Dubnyk cleanly.

Final shots in the game were 30 for Edmonton and 31 for Calgary.

Overall it was a pretty decent first game for the Oil. Tomorrow should be an interesting test. We’ll get to see these line ups:

Nilsson Gagner Hemsky
Penner Cogliano Eberle
Cornet Reddox Pisani
Brule Pouliot MacIntyre

Apparently that top six worked really well together today in practice earlier. Interesting choices.

130 Responses to “GDT: Oilers 4, Flames 1 – Pre-season Game 1 – 2009-09-15”

1. Hockey Noob says:

Schrempie!!! with the nice feed!!!

Wow, apparently there is no way to go back to old comments once it hits a new page (by default). I’ll solve that mystery later. Nice pass by “Shrump”.

Was there another assist on that one? Or just Schremp? My feed cut out.

Oh I am enjoying this! I don’t care if it’s pre-season.

I see Irving went to the Kipper school of lifting his mask to take a drink.

5. Trogdor says:

First off, nice goal, secondly nice to see a line change while maintaining the cycle down low and drawing another penalty.

Comrie looks pretty good tonight, or is that just me? Well, of course I look good…

7. Trogdor says:

He is doing well. I keep getting confused with all of our small puckhandling forwards on the small feed on the laptop. They’re all Comrie.

8. Hockey Noob says:

David Staples just DM’ed me on twitter about the tickets! I’ll wait to hear back.

Horcoff gets an empty netter, 4-1. Turns out he CAN hit an empty net.. take that, critics!

10. Hockey Noob says:

I just got tickets from David Staples for the Islanders game on Wed!

nice! congrats :)

Well thanks Racki, I’m proud to have been part of the first ever POTF GDT! You broke 100 comments, not bad!

12:30 my time, I’m up at 6 so I’m out.

Nice start to the season, go Oilers!

LNOF: Yah thanks a lot for coming out! And thanks to all of you guys. It’s been a blast. I’m going to write up a post-game summary of some sort for the site. The feed wasn’t too brutal. Only cut out during all the exciting parts..

14. Trogdor says:

Hooray for free tickets, and for the win! Horcs earned the empty netter, looked good in the faceoff circle tonight.

This feed is comedy. Some guy is just yelling stuff into the mic and doing sound checks and acting like an A-hole. For those that stopped watching, they’re going to show highlights in a min or two.

awww I missed it! :(

Don’t worry, B.O.

Summary up! Check the bottom of this article for that.

18. DropIt says:

I wasn’t expecting much from Calgary lasy night, with David Mossbeing the highest scoring player in the lineup, but noticed some good play by both sides… Good fight between Prust and Stortini, although I see Stortini hasn’t stopped hugging.

Looks like Schremp is really trying to push for a spot in the lineup this year, he had a solid game last night with some nice tape-to-tape passes.

DropIt: I wouldn’t say he hugged all that bad until the end. If you watch other people fight, you’ll see they grab on too when they get gassed. My feed cut out during that fight and a bit during the replay, so I missed parts, but it looked like Stortini got the better punches in.

You are right though, the Flames had a pretty skeleton crew in that game. Wasn’t expecting too much either.

20. DropIt says:

21. pharsyde says:

DropIt: Ya, and that could have been what happened, it just looked like stortini may have gassed out first, but still an alright fight. Stortini did look like he won, but a couple punches each way. So off topic a bit, I know the available spots for the flames are limited for rookies this year, what is the word for open spots in Edmonton’s lineup for the upcoming season? I haven’t heard much, but figured it may be slightly more intriguing to look for than Calgary’s position battles

Assuming everyone who made the team last year will make it again this year, we have one or no spots available I guess:

From last year:
    Penner – Horcoff – Hemsky
    Nilsson – Gagner – O’Sullivan
    X – Cogliano – Pisani
    Moreau – Pouliot – Stortini

The signing of Comrie fills that last empty spot, so we’re looking at basically the same team as last year barring a rookie really, really outplaying someone, a trade, or a random golf cart accident.

It’s tight. Lots of guys fighting for a few spots. But really, new coaches in here, for all we know some vets are going to get turfed (but doubtful). They picked up Comrie, but not even sure how he fits in the lineup. Mind you, he looked pretty good last night, so that’s a plus for his cause. But sounds like the Oil will ice 3 scoring lines this year. And even with that, it would stand to reason that we’re going to have to push maybe one or two of Brule, Schremp, Nilsson, Potulny, JFJ, MacIntyre, Strudwick through waivers. I haven’t really done the math in my head recently, but with the way guys like Nilsson and Schremp are playing, it’s going to be hard to see someone go.

23. pharsyde says:

*waits for “Schremp sucks!” reply from Steve-O*

pharsyde: Should add that there’s no room on D either. The only real battle may be in net, with Deslauriers and Dubnyk battling to see who’ll rock the Oilers hat and open the door to the bench for 60 games this season.

Yah good point. I haven’t paid THAT much attention, but from what I’ve read so far, Dubnyk was good in camp. He seemed pretty solid yesterday, aside from that one goal. But that was just a good shot from a very good scoring position.

26. pharsyde says:

While we’re on topic Racki, do you see anyone (read: Schremp, Brule, Eberle) outplaying someone (Nilsson, Pouliot) and getting a regular spot?

If anything, it sounds like Nilsson is battling hard to make a name for himself with Quinn. So I wouldn’t expect him to lose his job (although admittedly, I was one that said he should be waived before the camp started). Eberle won’t likely make the team. I haven’t had a chance to see him yet (will be able to tonight), but apparently he hasn’t been too impressive yet. He’ll get a good shot tonight though beside Cogliano and Penner (if those lines stick). But I’m not expecting too much.

As for Brule, he’s got a good shot, if he can bring a high-tempo energy game. He’ll be playing with Pouliot and MacIntyre tonight, so we’ll get a chance to see what he can do. I would have to think that his direct competition is Pouliot. Brule is one that is waiver eligible though. Jason Gregor mentioned with some confidence that Brule will make the NHL this year. I almost get the feeling though that the organization still would rather have him down in Springfield for a bit. But do we want to risk waivers on him? Not likely.

As for Schremp.. well, he’s looked really good in camp so far and pre-season. But he’s got the longest road ahead of him. Pat Quinn went on a rant about how some players don’t make the team because they maybe have skill but they’re missing the intangibles. That wasn’t necessarily a slag at Schremp, but it could be a wake up call. Early on in the game last night, Schremp was behind our goal line, back checking. So I think he’s caught the message (if he hadn’t already). I’ve always thought he would be a good addition on our PP and in the shootout. However, the question marks about his 5 on 5 play are still there. He’ll have it in tough, but he’s playing hard enough that he at least deserves an honest look. He might be sent down though, just based on the fact that he’s a lot more likely to clear waivers than someone like Brule or Nilsson.

Schremp Sucks!!!

So this looks like the new “place” for GD’s. Sweet.