GDT: Oilers 4, Flames 1 – Pre-season Game 1 – 2009-09-15

By , September 14, 2009 11:00 pm
Edmonton Oilers GDT - Pre-season 09/09/15 - vs. Flames

Edmonton Oilers GDT - Pre-season 09/09/15 - vs. Flames

UPDATE: Game has ended, post game summary at the bottom before the comments.

It’s game time, finally! First pre-season game of the season, and I’m sure we’re all stoked. The good news is, every single pre-season game will be streamed from the Oilers website, save for the game vs. the Lightning in Winnipeg which is already on TSN.

Game Line-ups

Edmonton Oilers Line Up

Jacques — Horcoff — Schremp
O’Sullivan — Comrie — Stone
Brennan — Paukovich -Stortini
Moreau — Potulny — Minard

Gilbert — Chorney
Staios — Arsene
Plante — Strudwick

Dubnyk starts
JDD backing up

Calgary Flames Roster

(as per the Flames website)
Boyd, Dustin C
Pardy, Adam LD
Pelech, Matt RD
Prust, Brandon LW
Stuart, Colin LW
Irving, Leland G
Keetley, Matt G

Flames are going to be missing all the big guys. No Iginla, Bouwmeester, Regehr, Bouwmeester or Kipper.

I’d like to invite anyone to post your comments on the game, as it is played live here, if you like. The Oilers forum and other sites have a long tradition of fans posting on their sites as the game is live, and I’d be happy to see the same thing happen here. I expect that it will take a while before that really takes off, but feel free to be one of the people to say “oh I used to post on the game day threads on The Foil way back in the day.” :P

POST GAME SUMMARY

Edmonton 4
Calgary 1

Here are the point getters for both teams:

1. P. O’Sullivan (10:11 – 1st) from Plante and Gilbert.
2. P. O’Sullivan (01:25 – 2nd) from Comrie and Stone
3. J. Jaffray (PPG, 10:26 – 3rd) from Lundmark
4. S. Horcoff (EN, 19:32 – 3rd) unassisted

Click here for boxscore

For the Schremp fans, he looked pretty decent in the way of passing. I even saw him back checking all the way behind his own goal line at one point early on. He looked pretty solid running the PP. One one particular play on the PP, he fired a laser over to Horcoff, Hemsky-style. But alas, it was saved.

The vets – Moreau, Horcoff and Staios – each looked pretty solid out there. Horcoff really had a good game and was busting his butt the whole time. Comrie was also a demon out there, especially on the powerplay, wheeling around. On the 2nd powerplay, I would say it was all him as he circled behind the net and fired it into a crowd to which O’Sullivan punched it home from within the crease (O’Sullivan had some good luck tonight, but that’s how it can go when you actually shoot the puck).

There were a couple of fights in the game. In the first one, Dean Arsene threw a few awkward looking punches at Garth Murray, but nothing really landed. More of a wrestle-fest. In the second one, Stortini took on Prust. I thought he handled him quite well and got the win, landing a couple of good shots.

The penalty kill was really solid tonight (with exception to the one goal by Jaffray). Credit to Horcoff mostly for that. He was paired up with JFJ, and the two looked very reliable there. O’Sullivan also drew a lot of ice time (with Stone).

Didn’t see much of Kip Brennan.. at least not noticeable, but he threw a huge hit on a Flame early on.

From what I saw of “Mean” Dean Arsene, he looked pretty reliable out there playing with Staios. At one point, the Flames even had a 3-on-2 and he and Staios did a good job of breaking up the play. Solid game for Arsene, even if his fight wasn’t anything to write home about.

Taylor Chorney looked not too bad, but he missed a wiiiide open in period two.

JDD and Dubnyk both were pretty solid in the nets. JDD stopped all he faced through 1 and a half, but wasn’t tested really that hard. Dubnyk’s one goal allowed game with the Flames on the powerplay. Lundmark fired a beautiful stretch pass to Jaffray who got in behind our last man back. He came in all alone and fired a wrister from the right dot, beating Dubnyk cleanly.

Final shots in the game were 30 for Edmonton and 31 for Calgary.

Overall it was a pretty decent first game for the Oil. Tomorrow should be an interesting test. We’ll get to see these line ups:

Nilsson Gagner Hemsky
Penner Cogliano Eberle
Cornet Reddox Pisani
Brule Pouliot MacIntyre

Apparently that top six worked really well together today in practice earlier. Interesting choices.

130 Responses to “GDT: Oilers 4, Flames 1 – Pre-season Game 1 – 2009-09-15”

1. Horpensky says:

Both sides are missing their better players. No Hemsky or Souray, no Iggy, Phaneuf, Bouwmeester. Kinda sad Theo Fleury won’t be playing either, I wanted to see him. This will be a “fight for your spot” game (looking at you Schremp!)

Lines are up. Nothing that stands out too much. O’Sully and Comrie will play together, as well Schremp gets a chance with some improved linemates in playing with Horcoff and JFJ.

Yah, I think that’s the whole point of today, give a few bubble players a chance to fight for a job (Chorney and Schremp, perhaps…. to an even lesser extent, Plante, Potulny and Stone).

It’s a decent lineup. I’m interested in seeing Arsene just because he’s been kicking around in the AHL so long, as well as the ‘bubble’ players and also interested in who looks sharper between DD & JDD.

Side note & unrelated, but I thought of you Racki (well your name that is) this morning when I heard Patrick Swayze died. Makes me want to watch Youngblood real soon, I feel a brat pack movie marathon coming on to re-live my younger years. RIP Derek Sutton, you survived Racki but unfortunately cancer is still bringing so many good ones down too early.

Yah, crazy about Patrick Swayze. I had forgotten he had cancer so when I heard he died yesterday I was pretty shocked. But about a couple of months ago I remember seeing a magazine with him on it announcing his cancer and wow was he ever thin. Ahh well, here’s to hoping that we get to see Youngblood on TV! Classic cheesy hockey.

And Arsene I’m interested in too because I think Lowetide commented that he was out there being rather physical (read: dirty) and looked pretty solid too.

6. Trogdor says:

Well, you can count on me catching the game on the intertube tonight. I’m kind of happy that they are online because if they were on TV it would be more of an issue. The wife has a kung fu grip on the remote, but happily I have a laptop. One of these days I must invest in a second receiver…

RIP Patrick. I’ll have to dig out The Outsiders this weekend.

I think I’ll post the feed up on here too later, but it’s great that they’re doing that for us. It can cut out though lots (from my memories of last year), so be forewarned.

This feed just had Schremp centering the top line with Horcoff on the wing.. hmm.. interesting.

9. Hockey Noob says:

Racki, where’s the free pop and potato chips that you promised, lol? Okay, I’m here to watch the game and provide some commentary on the game, lol.

10. Hockey Noob says:

Wow, Murray and Arsene chucking the knuckles 2 minutes in, lol.

Yah not much of a fight though, unfortunately!

And so much for Dubnyk starting, hey? JDD.

13. Hockey Noob says:

Yeah, I just heard JDD.. I was like wtf?

.. and sorry to drop the ball on the pop/chips. lol

Fiiiix the feeeeed. There are 2 regular season games set to be streamed on the web no tv). I hope this works better by then. I don’t want to jinx things, but it HAS been worse though..

O’Sully scores! Fired from 5 feet in front of the blue line on a screen.

17. Hockey Noob says:

Sulli pots the first goal!!!

Jeez, is it just the 2 of you here?

Nice goal by O’Sully!

19. Hockey Noob says:

Have you heard his new nickname??? Patty O’Lantern, lol!!!

20. Hockey Noob says:

LateNight, Racki messed up and forgot to bring the Pop/Chips–people got mad and left, lol :)

Stort Pops Prust and feed craps out. Wow, what a punch, it knocked the feed out. Apparently Prust came back though, as the hometowners blew a gasket when the feed came back. Replay cuts out a bit, but tells me otherwise though.. good tilt for Stortini.

22. Trogdor says:

Dang. Missed the goal. I see NHL Center Ice has a free preview right now, but only the Rangers/Bruins on tonight.

Yah how lame are we, just two of us here. :P Well beats how it started.. one man show here.

Where’s Steve-O… I see Schremp skating behind our own red line!

Welcome LNOF/Trogdor. O’Sully’s goal was nothing spectacular. Stepped over the blue line and fired a wrister on net that the goalie didn’t see. But they all count. Hopefully he keeps just firing pucks at the net like mad all year. Some are bound to go in. Good chance by Stone there.

26. pharsyde says:

Man, how big of homers are the Calgary colour guys?
    “Prust hammers Stortini with jackhammers….Stortini gives him a hug”
    Like come on buddy guys.

welcome pharsyde! And I agree. Stortini did really well in that fight and won it with little damage taken.

28. Hockey Noob says:

“Horcoff shoots wide” I hope I don’t keep hearing that this season!!! Enough lol.

29. pharsyde says:

I guess that depends on who you’re asking ;). Listening to the game on the radio would have made it seem like Stortini got his ass kicked haha

Glad to be here! Gotta support the Foil

The energy level looks good so far, I don’t have it full screen on the laptop, it gets too distorted, so it’s pretty small. JDD looks good so far.

No prob on the pop/chips, I’ve got a Tim’s to keep me awake. Just got back from the rink so I need to warm up!

31. Hockey Noob says:

Quinn’s playing the vets quite a bit surprisingly.

LNOF: I’m doing the same thing, but only because the feed craps out so much I have to stop/start it frequently.

Pharsyde: hah, I guess when you think about it, good ol’ Rod can be the same too.

33. Hockey Noob says:

Yeah Late Night, I have the same problem–on full screen I can barely read the player’s numbers.

34. Trogdor says:

Good streak of streaming for a bit now, but I probably shouldn’t say that… I like that we’re getting out of our own zone. One of our biggest flaws last year.

35. Hockey Noob says:

Hmm, Schrempie had the puck twice, once he just chipped it up the ice, the other time he takes a weak wrist shot from the blue line.

Flames announcer has been reading up on Schremp I guess.

Did the other guy just say Rocky Stone?

Smoke ‘em if you got ‘em.

38. pharsyde says:

Well of course. Listening to Rod have a heart attack every shot on goal for the Oilers while I race home to watch the game makes me think we’re playing well….only to get home and find out we’re getting pumped once they show replays haha

39. Trogdor says:

Nice pick by Stone to draw a penalty. Rocky Stone. Great name.

Just to recap period 1:
    1-0 Oilers on a goal from O’Sullivan, from Gilbert and Stortini

Racki: LNOF: yah he said “Rocky” Stone, but those guys are familiar with Ryan Stone, as they started talking about him playing in Calgary at some point (pre-Junior?). He’s a Calgary boy. So I guess “Rocky” is his nick name.

Ahh, ok then I’ll let it slide…

43. Hockey Noob says:

Too lazy to run the numbers, but we’ve clearly got a ton more cap on the ice than Calgary.

racki dood, I effin’ love you!!! I couldn’t get this feed to anywhere since I’m in North Carolina, and it was only supposed to be available in AB/SK/MB/NWT.

just got here though, how do they look?

speaking of cap, has anyone heard what Tambi might be planning since we are currently over the cap?

46. Trogdor says:

Game on!

gr8one: Are we over the cap? I haven’t looked at it yet. I thought with Comrie we were still ok, but didn’t really check. But right now we’re still chiselling out our line up, so we won’t know where we sit on the cap until some demotions happen.

And glad you can watch!

So far not much has happened. O’Sully scored a sloppy goal (on the Flames goaltender’s part, but he was screened). No one really stands out just yet.

God damn! Feed just crapped out as we score. lol. But hopefully is ok for replay.

Looked pretty junky to me, like the first one.

I thought we were over…lol, but I just looked again and i read the chart wrong the other day, we’re under by about a half mil.

o_O