Comrie/Horcoff talk about potential signing

By , September 5, 2009 10:16 am

Interviews below..

Mike Comrie Interview

Shawn Horcoff Interview

9 Responses to “Comrie/Horcoff talk about potential signing”

1. Smokin' Ray says:

Yup. He’s signing here.

2. Raoul Duke says:

I have no problem with Comrie coming back. Like he said, he’s learned a lot over the years and to be honest if I was judged for my actions at 20 years old for the rest of my life – I’d be labelled a lot worse than he is.

Time to move on, welcome the guy back and see what he can bring.

Yah honestly, I’m completely past, well… his past. I just am not so sure another small forward can help us at this point. There are better choices to help this team. I’m trying to determine if I like the idea of signing Comrie because I think he’ll help the team, or am I just looking for some change to a team that was brutal last year.

4. NorwegianOiler says:

Undoubtedly two interviews that tilt any outsider and fan towards the idea that a Comrie signing is imminent, rarely do players entertain rumours so openly – Horcoff taking the time to comment on how Comrie would do for the Oilers. Then again, it’s not confirmed and it hasn’t happened, yet. What I don’t see is the connection between Tambellini’s previous comments on improving the roster in terms of size and grit. Comrie may bring many things, but size or grit aren’t really among those. So what does that say? Can’t the Oilers find anyone else, so they bring someone in for the sake of doing so? Are they planning to trade? Are they looking to ride the “small and skilled” – line all the way?

I don’t see this happening, but I’m naive…;-)

5. Mr.Majestyk says:

Unless they intend to make other moves after they sign Comrie. Comrie coming in might mean one of our other smaller forwards is on his way out of Edmonton with the money saved going toward signing Betts.

Well Mr.M, Tambellini has said in the past that they aren’t after Betts. But he’s also said stuff that sounded like they weren’t after Comrie too (and clearly the thought is there). I think he just likes to keep things as quiet as possible for the sake of other players. i.e. not wanting another situation like Smid/Penner/Cogs finding out they’re trade bait. Cause really, if Comrie and/or Betts or anyone else come in, someone’s got to go out or down (and well, clear waivers, most likely).

So I suppose it’s possible they’re after one of those faceoff/pkers still. It would be nice, cause we could use the help. But I would have liked to have seen someone a bit better come in to the organization rather than Comrie. But hey, he does have 2 30 goal seasons.

7. Hockey Noob says:

First, great to see you at the POTF blog, Norwegian Oiler!

If we start with assumption that we don’t sign a Betts or Comrie, then what do you guys see happening for our options at center? Pat Quinn’s often been quoted saying that he prefers to be strong at center which is why I can’t wrap my mind around Horcoff/Gagner/Pouliot/Brule down the middle.

I don’t love the idea, but right now I can’t see anything but O’Sullivan at the 3C position with Pouliot at 4c.

Yah Noob it’s going to be a bit of a problem if we don’t have another guy to take faceoffs. Frankly, Comrie isn’t very good at it either. So he won’t help in that regard.

I would be disappointed, like you, if someone like O’Sully were stuck on a line 3 role, unless that line morphed into another scoring line.

Ultimately if there is one guy out there I’d like to see the organization kiss and make up with, it’s Michael Peca. :lol: We could us a guy like him!