Comrie and the Oil, together again

By , September 10, 2009 2:08 pm
comrie

Big boys don't cry.

Not quite ready to publish the latest comic, but its breaking news, so I’ll post it as it is.

Comrie has signed a 1 year contract with the Oil.  Haven’t dug up the financial details just yet, but Comrie is set to speak with the press at 2:30 PM so I’ll update the post afterwards.

UPDATE

Details are coming in.  Looks like he has signed for $1.25 million for the year.

Excerpt from Journal article.

“His agent Ritch Winter said he was talking to three other teams seriously about signing Comrie, who turns 29 on Saturday. Two, he said, “were slam-dunk playoff teams.” The Oilers certainly aren’t; they’ve missed the playoffs three straight years but Comrie felt coming back to where it all started was best for him.”

So it sounds like he genuinely wanted to come home.  That’s refreshing. Nice to hear that after the Heatly debacle.  Maybe Comrie will get a bonus if his signing leads to more quality players showing an interest in the Oil.

So, what does this mean for the Oilers?

I’d make this a poll, but I don’t think I have that kind of posting power.

1.  Trades will occur to fill in some of our other needs (size/PK/faceoffs/etc).
  2.  We’ll be rolling 3 scoring lines and attempt to outgun our opponents.
  3. Schremp won’t get a lick of ice time from the big club.
  4. We’ll be down 15 players when the filming of The Hobbit starts.
  5. All of the above.

I’ll add more updates as they become available.

8 Responses to “Comrie and the Oil, together again”

1. pharsyde says:

So one less spot on the depth chart now for Schremp/Brule/Eberle basically. Is it safe to assume Comrie will center the third line, moving Cogs up to left wing on the second line?

2. Trogdor says:

The journal article suggests Comrie would be pushed out to a wing, but with the way our team is managed who knows. I do think something else must be in the works to free some cap space and reduce the roster.

3. Horpensky says:

I just hope he can score goals, because we need goals. What number will he wear?

4. Trogdor says:

Just finished listening to 9 minutes of him answering questions. Summing up he said he enjoys being on the left side, laughed when asked about his number, said he feels like he’s in great shape right now, and answered numerous questions about re entering the “fishbowl”. Also commented that speed and moving the puck are important and that a 6 foot player isn’t necessarily better than someone who’s 5’10″.

We’ll see how he feels when Chara runs him over.

5. Hockey Noob says:

If nothing else, we have to like Comrie’s price tag of $1.125 million which is less than the anticipated $1.3-$1.5 million. I think the signing at the stated price is definitely a plus for the Oilers as Comrie’s at least a legit NHLer with decent hands.

Right now, there’s tons of questions though… LOL @Trogdor’s comment about the filming of The Hobbit as that’s both funny as well as the biggest concern.

It’s not hard to imagine 3 scoring lines with Comrie on the lineup. We already had a lot of guys competing for the top 6 prior to this signing.

Good Lord, I work B2B 12 hour days and now I have to catch up on the Comrie signing, as well as the just reported Heatley/Marleau/Frolov/Stoll 3 way, plus catch up on what happened in court in PHO today. I feel like I’ve got a weeks worth of hockey news to catch up on…

I didn’t follow the Oilers during the Comrie years and quite frankly I haven’t watched him play a whole lot so all I have to go on is stats. Glad the price and term is right and if he can have a bounce back year in the 40-60 point range that will be great. He obviously has to be better than the lost potential of whatever player is going to lose a spot. I hope we aren’t sacrificing a player with long term potential for the sake of a 1-year contract but we’ll see how this plays out. Tambi might not be done.

What concerns me is this is his 7th stop in 8 seasons (Edm-Phi-Pho-Ott-NYI-Ott-Edm), including seconds with Ott and now coming full circle with the Oil…really glad the price is right for a player who’s been through that many teams before he’s 30. Usually you see that with players on the down side of their careers, otherwise it’s often considered a red flag. Did I mention I’m glad the price is right?

Pardon me while I go catch up on how badly Oiler Nation is freaking out right now.

7. Trogdor says:

I’m not finding any verification of the 3 way trade, but did hear rumours through the day.

In other news, Theo looks to have been re-instated. One more smurf? Although he’s used to wearing red. Also I see that MacT has been selected to coach team Canada in the Spengler cup.

I hope for the same as you LNOF regarding Comrie putting up some decent numbers this year. It would go a long way towards the fans supporting him. Hopefully at the mature age of 29, he can appreciate the opportunity most of us can only dream of.

I’m going to get back to the Steelers game and icing my knee I blew out at soccer tonight.

Looks like Comrie is going to wear #91 this year.

Edit: scratch that.. this is temporary. Out of politeness, he’s apparently going to be asking Doug Weight if he can wear 39. Comrie is a big fan of Doug Weight, since he was younger, and wore #39 in his junior days with the Kootenay Ice.