Putting On The Foil – Bold Line Up Predictions

By , September 22, 2009 9:12 am
Please don't sue us, Hanson Brothers.

Please don't sue us, Hanson Brothers.

Don’t you just love it when a character in a movie says the name of the movie in the movie itself? Introducing a new segment at Putting on the Foil entitled…. well, Putting on the Foil. In this segment, Steve-O, and I (and sometimes Trogdor) have a tête-à-tête (or tête-à-tête-à-tête) on a certain issue. In today’s “Putting On The Foil”, we discuss who we think will make the October 3rd lineup (barring any injuries). Of course, like any other post, we encourage you to have your say in the comments section.

First off, the Shoe-Ins:
These are the guys that have nearly no chance of being cut, so we won’t bother to discuss them: Andrew Cogliano, Sam Gagner, Ales Hemsky, Shawn Horcoff, Ethan Moreau, Patrick O’Sullivan, Dustin Penner, Fernando Pisani, Zack Stortini, Tom Gilbert, Denis Grebeshkov, Ladislav Smid, Sheldon Souray, Steve Staios, Jason Strudwick, Lubomir Visnovsky (since I’ve named 7 d-men here, I’m going to have to be so bold as to say that our defencemen have already been decided).

On to the players in question:
KIP BRENNAN
Racki: Out. He was brought in for the Springfield team. We don’t need another tough guy up here.
Steve-O: Out. We already have MacIntyre.

GILBERT BRULE
Racki: Out. Part of me wants to see him up here, but I think he gets cut. It will be very risky, putting him through waivers. However I think he hasn’t made the impression he needs to in order to stay here, whereas I think a player quite a bit further down has. The fact is, I can really see him making the team, but I can really see him not making the team. He really is on the cusp.
Steve-O: Out. Not enough room on the team. Not sure about his waiver status, but if he needs to go through waivers on the way back up then he won’t even get a call up.

MIKE COMRIE
Racki: In. Without a doubt, he will make the team. There were questions as to whether the fans would accept Comrie. Flash back to the game vs. the Panthers where Comrie had 4 assists and a fight and the crowd was chanting his name. What contract dispute from 6 years ago?
Steve-O: In. And actual NHL player despite the history with the team and sub-par last year.

JORDAN EBERLE
Racki: Out. But he might stick around for a bit, if at all possible within our roster. I can actually see him staying on the team now, after how well he has played. He outplayed John Tavares in Saskatoon. But ideally, he gets sent back, because this team just doesn’t have the room (barring an injury). Hemsky has endorsed keeping Eberle up here, however. In a recent Edmonton Journal article, Hemsky talked about how MacTavish’s decision to keep him in the NHL at Eberle’s age was a smart decision (hey even a broken clock is right twice a day) and was better for his development than going back to Junior. Still, I would have to bet that he is out unless a really ugly injury happens to one of our forwards.
Steve-O: Out. Play him for the 9 games but then send him back to the dub. I think it was a mistake to blow a year of Gagner’s eligibility (not sure thats the right word but whatever) as we now have to pay him big a year earlier than if he would have been sent back to London. But then the fans would have bitched about how shitty the team was instead of how good Gagner is going to be.

JF JACQUES
Racki: In. He got the message. JFJ, forget the powerforward stuff. Just go out and be a one man wrecking crew. He was amazing vs. the Panthers. The big hit he threw, and then the fight right after (in which he dominated) were pretty inspiring. That is the kind of energy this team needs.
Steve-O: In. Has a skill set that isn’t really duplicated all that much in the line-up (Stortini for sure, and maybe Moreau).

STEVE MACINTYRE
Racki: Out. Big, big sigh when I say that. He’s definitely a fave Oiler of mine (I love the enforcers). But I can’t justify him in the lineup anymore when we have JFJ, Stortini, Strudwick and others who can fight. Him staying on the roster means risking someone else of signifigance on waivers.
Steve-O: In. As the 14th forward. Nuclear deterrent.

ROBERT NILSSON
Racki: Marginal. If there is one guy that gets dropped in favor of Eberle, it’s this guy. He’s looked like a new man though in camp and in one of the games. Will that go a long way? I’m not too sure yet. I am willing to bet though that in the back of Quinn’s mind, he makes a decision between Nilsson and another player. I’ve thought about the lines, and really, I think he’ll be riding the pine. And at $2M/yr, he’s a pretty pricey bench warmer. I’d say that his only hope is an injury.
Steve-O: What a cop out Racki…what kind of prediction is that? He’s in.
Racki: Fine! In.

MARC POULIOT
Racki: In. Our second best face off man after Horcoff, I have a tough time seeing him gone too, even in favor of Brule. But I would have to say Brule is his direct competition. Sweat bullets until he is sent down, Mr. Pouliot.
Steve-O: In. He needs to show that he’s gained a step this year, but I would say that this could be his first full year.

LIAM REDDOX
Racki: Out. I love this guy’s drive. But really, he’s an extra piece that we don’t have room for right now.
Steve-O: Out. Small forward thats not a scorer.

ROB SCHREMP
Racki: Out. Sorry, there will be no Rob Schremp hockey on the Oilers this year. He’ll be an Islander by or before October 3rd, if I’m a betting man.
Steve-O: Out. He may want to look at Europe.

RYAN STONE
Racki: In. The chemistry with Comrie and O’Sullivan is too good to ignore. Plus, he has the size that this team needs. I think he’ll ride the pine a bit and come in when we need a bit of size, or if someone needs a little motivation in the way of a press box visit. I mean come on, the guy hit Tavares in the pre-season! :P Check out Hockey Noob’s Low On Oil site for a good write up on Ryan Stone.
Steve-O: Out. First call up, but still out to start the season.

DEVAN DUBNYK
Racki: Out. Doesn’t need to clear waivers. Is about as consistent (or should I say inconsistent) as JDD at this point. It’s a toss up, but why lose an asset? Doobie will be returning to the Falcons.
Steve-O: Out. But I also don’t see JDD finishing the season. I always felt that JDD was a stop gap until DD made the show (at least thats the vibe I got from the team).

JEFF DESLAURIERS
Racki: In. Unlike Dubnyk, he has to clear waivers to be sent down. I’m not a big believer in either of our rookie goaltenders. However, I’d still like to hang on to both of them to give them a chance. So I’m thinking JDD makes the team. He should get about 25-30 games in, minimum.
Steve-O: In. And when Khabi goes down with an injury around Dec. then we will see how bad it is to have no backup goalie.

RACKI’S LINES

Penner Horcoff Hemsky
O’Sullivan Comrie Gagner (O’Sully was on my first line, but after seeing him with Comrie, why not here?)
Moreau Cogliano Pisani

Khabibulin
JDD

MacIntyre
Nilsson
Strudwick
(Isn’t the limit 22?)

28 Responses to “Putting On The Foil – Bold Line Up Predictions”

1. Trogdor says:

Well I haven’t seen all of the games but from the ones I have, I’d give JFJ the nod for sure. He’s looked good out there bringing a physical presence to the team, and even chipped in for a goal.

I say give Eberle a shot and I say in favor of a player my cohorts seem to think is locked in. Sit Pisani for awhile, because honestly, what has he done for us lately? If not Eberle then maybe Stone.

Everything else everyone seems to agree on, and as for Schremp, I foresee him being sent down and not being claimed and suffering in purgatory again, as it seems to be his lot in life.

First of all, this sight seems to be slow again.

second of all, eff you for using your pansy little french letter thingies. (tête-à-tête)

hehe, sorry…I think Grapes possessed me there for a second.

good blog.

3. pharsyde says:

God, it sorta pains me to see Cogs playing third line. Seems like a waste of his talent. Does make for a deadly shut down line though…one that can defend and pounce on opportunities. But after what Cogs said after his almost-trade, you could tell he was looking for top 6 minutes. Comrie playing out of his mind this pre-season doesn’t help that cause. Hopefully Cogs doesn’t take another hit to his confidence.

*site.

the peasants really do need an edit button.

Cogliano should get top six minutes, I agree. But I don’t think he will just yet. I’m sure if things get a bit stale in the top six, he’ll be bumped up though.

Considering that Cogliano has been playing center all pre-season (regardless of atrocious face off %) and he’s not slotting in above Gagner or Horcoff I don’t see where in the top 6 he will fit in. Sure they can move him to wing, but you would have thought they would have done that in pre-season so he could get some reps in

yeah…it actually kind of irks me that the Oilers seem so intent on keeping Cogs a center, I think he would be much more effective as a winger.

I really hope Stone gets a look in the regular season too, and if so, I hope he gets some ice time with some good linemates.

as much as I agree with your analysis on Schremp not making it and ending up elsewhere, especially because he really hasn’t stood out so far. I cannot help but shake the feeling that if he does end up somewhere else, we will regret it.

8. Trogdor says:

Releasing Schremp may bite us in the ass, but at the same time, I think he deserves a shot elsewhere. We can’t keep him in a cage forever.

How’s that saying go about setting things free?

If you love him, set him free, if he comes back with another team and gets a hat trick, it wasn’t meant to be.

Yah, actually to be honest, I hope he gets claimed elsewhere and does well elsewhere… because I really doubt he’ll get his chance here. It’s not so much that he isn’t a decent player (yes, he does have his flaws), but just he’s not ahead of the current pack of players we have fighting for spots.

gr8one: Site is working nice and fast for me at work. I am guessing either:
    – it fixed itself
    – it’s something between where you are and where the site is hosted (i.e. just run of the mill internet lag)
    – you are impatient.. hah, just kidding about that one

Is it ok for you now?

lol…

yeah Racki, your second and third assessments are the most likely reasons for the site being slow earlier, it’s definitely better now.

I actually probably would have deleted that part out of my post not long after I posted it, but alas, no edit button. :p

Comrie-Horcoff-Hemsky
    Penner-Gagner-O’Sullivan
    Moreau-Cogliano-EBERLE(THATS RIGHT!)
    Stortini-Brule-Pisani
    Schremp

My picks, compliments Uncle Boston!

13. Hockey Noob says:

Hey everyone! Thanks for the link Racki.

KIP BRENNAN
    Noob: Out. Final answer!

GILBERT BRULE
    Noob: Out. He should be out, but Lowetide keeps pointing out the Jason Gregor has him favored over Pouliot. Personally, I think Pouliot’s done more during camp. I like Brule’s physical style of play and he’s pretty tough for a smaller player. Damn, he’s taken a few suicide passes in the preseason and gotten plastered into the side wall.

MIKE COMRIE
    Noobi: In. Comrie and O’Sullivan have expressed that they enjoy playing together and that they ‘think’ the game the same way. Given that their our own line to show much chemistry during TC, this should take Sulli off of 1LW and put him on the second line with Comrie. Already, Comrie’s reminded us that he has some decent hands and scoring instincts. Sure, we could argue that he’s posted points against soft goalies and NHL/AHL teams, but who else besides Comri/Sulli on our team have taken advantage of this to post many points?

JORDAN EBERLE
    Noob: Out. Like everyone else, I’ve been impressed with his level of play during the preseason. He’s very creative in terms of offense and despite his small size/age hasn’t looked out of place yet. He’s going to be a real player, but not this year. Maybe he gets the nine games, maybe not…

JF JACQUES
    Noob: In. Honestly, when you look at the lines that he’s played on during the preseason, I can almost imagine him occasionally getting slotted on our top 6 vs. some bigger teams. I know this sounds crazy… If we run Horpensky on our 1st line, then we’re left with a bunch of really small players for our 2nd line which may work against some but not all teams.

STEVE MACINTYRE
    Noob: Out. Quinn’s already said that he’s not looking for a one punch pony.

ROBERT NILSSON
    Noob: In. Though Nilsson’s not done anything at all during the preseason to justify putting him on the roster, he does have a few things going for him. One, if you put him in the mix of bubble players, he has the most experience playing in the NHL. Two, I don’t think we can trade him and I don’t see Katz paying him $2million to play in the AHL.

MARC POULIOT
    Noob: In. I agree that he’s fighting for a spot with Brule.

LIAM REDDOX
    Racki: Out. MacT’s gone which obviously didn’t bode well for him. It was interesting to see him play 4C during that one preseason game where he went 2/11 on the draw. I can’t see a spot for him though he does have some things going for him.

ROB SCHREMP
    Noob: Out. On the one hand, he shows up to camp in shape and his skating looks not too bad. However, he seems to live up to his billing of being maybe a 2nd power play option on a weak team since he doesn’t really do much else.

RYAN STONE
    Noob: In. I agree with Racki, that if Stone is in, he will likely ride a fair amount of pine for the Oilers though. Bottom line, he stands out simply because he’s a different type of player than the other guys on the bubble. Descriptions such as small, skilled, offensively minded forward don’t describe Stone.

DEVAN DUBNYK
    Noob: Out. He’s shown some improvement, but probably not enough. We can only hope that Bulin doesn’t tweak his groin or something, because we’re going to need a fair number of games out of him.

JEFF DESLAURIERS
    Noob: In. I do share the concerns over him as our backup option given that he’s likely going to see quite a few games this season.

14. Horpensky says:

It’s a shame because I truly think Eberle is ready, but the Oilers are not. That’s the only problem. I also don’t like seeing Cogs on the 3rd line, but I totally agree that is how the lines will probably look Racki. BUT… as we all have seen in the past, the lines we start with are never the ones that stick. Injuries will occur, and slumps will happen, and someone else will step up while others step down.

15. Hockey Noob says:

Hey Horpensky,

Yeah, it’s not great seeing Cogliano on the 3rd line–especially at center position. It would have been interesting to see him play top six on one of the wings. However, there’s so many 2nd line(ish) players on the team, it’s hard to fit him into the top six unless he steps up.

Horp: I’m counting on an injury or two in there.. as harsh as that sounds. I’d really like to see Cogs in the top six. It’s a shame he’s likely going to start on the 3rd line until an injury occurs.

And what Noob said.. ;)

Since gr8one wouldn’t stop talking about it… (haha kidding), you can now edit your comments :) There is a time limit on editing a comment if you are not logged in/registered. But if you are registered and log in, you can edit your own all you want.

hahaha, awesome!!

see, this is why all the dogs wanna hump your leg!

I knew if I threw enough annoying edit button comments out there you’d find a a way to add one!

19. Hockey Noob says:

Racki, have you found out an info on who’s playing for the Oilers tomorrow?

I’ve actually been away all night, but I see you’ve got the lines covered over at Low On Oil

21. Trogdor says:

Had a look at the lines and I’m a bit dissapointed. Was hoping to get a look at Eberle tonight. Little Theo will have to do, that is if he’s in the line up. It’s battle of Alberta, they have to suit him up!

Anyone see Kadri’s shootout goal last night? Sweet move.

yeah, I saw Kadri’s move, it was sweet.

I betcha the next time we see that move he actually goes shelf from the backhand rather than back to his forehand.

Trogdor: Theo in the line up, according to the Flames’ website.

Schremp: Out. Time and depth are not on his side. A parting of ways is what’s likely best for both.

JDD: In. DD doesn’t seem up to the task and Mucha will be in the A and looks better than DD already.

JFJ: In/Out i.e. First call up guy or optional fourth liner. He’s big and hits and that will go a long way with Quinn.

Stone: Same as JFJ.

Pouliot: In. Nobody’s showing anything that would put him out of his spot. Too bad, I was hoping lots of guys would finally show up for camp. I guess not.

Reddox: I see him in Springfield. Same game as JFJ and Stone but smaller. Could be a first call up guy as well.

Brennan: In. Vet who knows how to play, aggitate and knows his role. Quinn likes these guys.

Storts: In. Nobody seems to be able to replace his grit and willingness to drop the gloves. Possible competition is Brennan.

MacIntyre: In to start. I could see him starting as we need the nuke with the arms race in our division, but if somebody else can step up who can play as well, he’s gone.

Peckham: Out to start the year and recover his injury. I was not a fan of the Struds signing except that he’s a good locker room guy who is low maintenance. I see Peckham coming up permanently by December and Staios (prayers) will be gone.

Smid: In. He’s a prototype Quinn D man. Big, tough, nasty and clears the zone in a simple fashion.

Chorney: Out. He’s on the team next year or if there is a trade of one of the big dollar D men who are more offense first.

Moreau: Hopefully tradebait if JFJ/Stone/Brennan show they can supply the same thing but cheaper.

Bottom line is there are way too many bodies up front and a few extra on the back end as well. I have to think that there will be a trade for a centreman who can score or a winger for the top line. I guess who is in the market to move a top end guy? Maybe Florida or Philly….

Brule: I forgot about him. Out to start. He comes up only if there is an injuy/trade.

Chucker: Is the banner still cutting off the logo for you (or anyone else, for that matter)?

Nope. All is good.

Allejahfriggenlujah! That would have driven me nuts trying to figure out ;) Thanks for the update.