Unfounded rumor time…

By , August 28, 2009 7:09 pm
Here’s a little something to get things going… people have been talking that SJ’s trades today freed up cash for Heatley. Anyone revisiting the old Souray to San Jose rumor again? Defencemen moved.. they have the cash for him. Granted, they BARELY have the cash for him and still have other needs. But perhaps the Oil swing a deal in which they move Souray and a player or two and pick up some bigger names in return (with the salary numbers evening out).
Just throwing some crazy ideas out there. Ultimately, I’d hate to see Souray go. But if we picked up a pretty quality player in return, however…
Sheldon Souray in a rare non-GQ pose.

Sheldon Souray in a rare non-GQ pose.

UPDATE: Check the Comrie rumor post for more information around Comrie. This rumor is sounding less like rumor and more like fact now, folks. We now return you to your regularly scheduled program…. the San Jose rumors:

Here’s a little something to get things going… people have been talking that SJ’s trades today freed up cash for Heatley. Darren Dreger’s twitter says “talks have gone cold” between San Jose and Ottawa, however. Anyone revisiting the old Souray to San Jose rumor again? Defencemen moved.. they have the cash for him. Granted, they BARELY have the cash for him and still have other needs. But perhaps the Oil swing a deal in which they move Souray and a player or two and pick up some bigger names in return (with the salary numbers evening out).

Just throwing some crazy ideas out there. Ultimately, I’d HATE to see Souray go. But if we picked up a pretty quality player in return, however, I could feel a bit better about it. Edmonton has a surplus of assets (call it what you will) but trend has show us we’re interested in very specific high-profile names.

The biggest stumbling block of course is that the two biggest Sharks players (Patrick Marleau and Joe Thornton) have no trade or no movement clauses. But hey, you just never know.

I’m not a fan of giving up Souray…. I’d like to hear some other fans’ thoughts though.

8 Responses to “Unfounded rumor time…”

1. Horpensky says:

Souray for Boyle? They get a big slapshot and some cap space and we get even better on the back end! mmm imagine Lubo + Boyle……..

okay time to stop dreaming!

Interesting thought. Would Boyle be that big of an upgrade on Souray? Better skater, but I’m not so sure if Boyle is the most talented in his own end either, plus its a big downgrade size-wise.

I hadn’t thought about a D-for-D trade though… was focused on some forward help. But we do need bigger help defensively on the blue line.

And I feel dirty even talking about trading Souray… :lol:

More updates on the Comrie front in the Comrie post…

4. Mr.Majestyk says:

I made up my own rumour regarding Erhoff going to Vancouver. Someone people were commenting at tsn that Erhoff was supposed to be part of the deal going to Ottawa in exchange for Heatley. Perhaps Vancouver has had discussions with Ottawa and picked up Erhoff who they will then flip to Ottawa as part of a package that will bring them Heatley. He’s spent all summer in Kelowna right?

He’s got a home in Kelowna, so that’s why he was out there all summer. It’s a gorgeous area, so I can’t say I blame him. ;)

I’m not sure what the heck Vancouver is doing with all these d-men, what their plan is exactly, however they are over the cap now. So to get Heatley, they’d also have to free up a lot of room.

I can say though, if they did trade for Heatley, I’d curse the hockey gods. That would be the ultimate kick in the junk. Calgary gets Bou, Vancouver gets Heatley, we get… Quinney.

6. NorwegianOiler says:

I would not support a Souray for Boyle trade, it wouldn’t address our needs the least – even though Boyle’s a good defenseman. For Marleau straight up? Wouldn’t be bad, though it would, again, leave us with a major hole, a top defenseman with size…So what do we need more?

7. Mr.Majestyk says:

Racki, its funny that we always look at other teams like the Flamers and Canucks during the offseason and say to ourselves ‘they are over the cap, good luck signing so and so…’ Seriously its happened for a few years now where Oiler fans think good luck signing Phaneuf with Iggy and Kipper locked up…but these other teams always seem to make it work. I know people will mention the rash of injuries that the Flames had last year but that was the only time it has happened in the last couple of years. I think the reason why they are able to do it is because they aren’t afraid of making moves.

I’d love to see the team going over the cap to have this come back and bite them on the ass but I don’t think it will happen that way. They will make another trade to alleviate cap space. The Canucks made some nice moves this summer.

MrM.: Yah, I’ve never been one of those guys that says that stuff about the Flames or Canucks because to me that just is jealousy talking. They see the Flames (for example) making some incredible moves, and look for any excuse to make it sound like a horrible idea. They have snaked a couple players out from under our noses a few times now, it is pretty crappy to witness. Again, I’m not one who wants to see us make moves just to make moves, but both those teams finished in a nice battle for top of the NW, and they still made some pretty big changes. We finish near the bottom, and we say “well we got some good coaches this year” and leave all the skaters intact except for one (who was never a problem) which we unloaded.

I’d love to be drinking the Kool-aid right now saying that this is all we need. And I even was full-time on the fire-MacT bandwagon, but we all know they could have and should have gotten better. Why go after Heatley so hard just to quit when we don’t get him?

Oh well. I do think we’ll have a much improved year. I just would have loved to have seen our GM address those needs with some authority. That’s the one thing that I’m jealous of the Flames for (this won’t go over well in Oilers land :lol:) … they might not always get it right, but they address their needs a heck of a lot quicker.