Get me an avocado, an ice pick and my snorkel.

By , August 5, 2009 1:37 pm
Tambellini trying to explain that he can't do anything because of the dipshit to his left

Most of what I’ve been reading on the internerd this summer (and what a beauty time to start a blog…) is what the Oilers need for the upcoming season. The ideal list would include a top six shooter, a third line PKer/faceoff dude and a stay at home D-man.

I agree with that list completely (and two of the three are available from the free agent pool), however there is one little issue that is standing in Tambellini’s way of completing that…the cap. The Oilers currently stand at (props to capgeek):

AUTO-GENERATED CAPGEEK.COM LINES
FORWARDS
Shawn Horcoff ($5.500m) / Dustin Penner ($4.250m) / Ales Hemsky ($4.100m)
Patrick O’Sullivan ($2.925m) / Fernando Pisani ($2.500m) / Ethan Moreau ($2.000m)
Robert Nilsson ($2.000m) / Sam Gagner ($1.625m) / * Gilbert Brule ($1.246m)
Andrew Cogliano ($1.133m) / Marc-Antoine Pouliot ($0.825m) / Zack Stortini ($0.700m)
Steve MacIntyre ($0.537m) / Jean-Francois Jacques ($0.525m)
DEFENSEMEN
Lubomir Visnovsky ($5.600m) / Sheldon Souray ($5.400m)
Tom Gilbert ($4.000m) / Denis Grebeshkov ($3.150m)
Steve Staios ($2.700m) / * Ladislav Smid ($0.915m)
Jason Strudwick ($0.700m)
GOALTENDERS
Nikolai Khabibulin ($3.750m) / Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers ($0.625m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
ROSTER: 23; PAYROLL: $56.707m; CAP ROOM: $1.093m BONUSES: $1.000m

I included Smid and Brule as I figure they got a shot. That leaves us with approx. 1 mil in cap room, which can be eaten up with injuries pretty quick (right Calgary?).

That leaves us with two options: trade or buyout/stuff someone in the minors.

Who do we trade? It has to be someone off of the roster so trading Schremp doesn’t help.  We don’t want to get rid of any player that teams want (Hemsky), and if we trade #17/#44 the D doesn’t look nearly as pretty (and then we would really really need that stay at home D-man).

Do we really want to put a vet in the minors? That would obviously be the best option for the team right now, but based on the ability of the city to attract free agents as is, I’m not sure that it helps the ol’ reputation. As for buying out players, I’m not really on board with that option as we will still owe to the cap (albeit at a lesser amount) for that player for the rest of the term of their contract, but also for double the remaining length of the contract. Doesn’t seem like something that a smart GM would do (actually, a smart GM wouldn’t get his team in a situation where that was necessary, others just have to dig out of the mess – still doesn’t seem like the best option to me)

Its been mentioned at Lowetide’s that the plan may be to enter the season with the same team and different coaching and hope that things workout. However, I think that has more to do with it being their only option as it does being their “plan”.

Lets hope that Quinn/Renney are handy with the household items.

Fuck

10 Responses to “Get me an avocado, an ice pick and my snorkel.”

1. Hockey Noob says:

Hahahah Steve-O, you’ve managed to express the collective concerns of many Oilers’ fans and in a particularly unique and humorous manner, I might add. :p

I guess if you’re not laughing, you’re crying, right?

The writing is on the wall in terms of roster holes as well as the cap issues. I hate to admit it, but too many times, I sit here scratching my head trying to figure out (not how but why) we’re spending to the cap in spite of the fact that we’re lacking true roster players (legit vets), not to mention a backup goalie or legit sniper.

I also hate to admit it, but with our cap issues as you’ve addressed combined with our lack of roster depth (and backup goalie), we’re only an injury or two away from a very good draft pick next year.

Well, that being said, +1 to Quinn/Renny being handy with the household items.

Hey Steve, good post…. (in case you guys hadn’t noticed, there are two authors on this blog, myself and “Steve-O”).

I’ve thought about the buy-out option, and you’re right – it sucks. Anyone that is an affordable buyout at this point could probably be dealt with an easier manner.

As far as the waivers, I still don’t think that our PR will take that big of a hit from waiving someone. Yah, we’re always concerned about the city’s rep. But you see just about every team in the league do it. If I were to waive anyone, I’d say it could be Nilsson. I would suggest that the Oil first try and ship him out for a pick or a non-roster player. If that option doesn’t work out, then send him to the AHL. If he clears, great… we have him in the farm system. The unfortunate part being that Katz would still have to foot the bill. But he would at least be off the cap.

I can’t say it’s a bad thing, but it looks like Tambellini really likes to play it safe. It’s an option to sign a free agent and then take care of business afterwards (i.e. free up the space after), but that’s really NOT an option to Tambellini, from what I can tell. Other teams do it, but we’re not going to do it.

I’ve also said quite a few times too that we need a stay-at-home d-man, a scorer and a checker/faceoff guy. If we don’t do something about that now, it’ll be the same old, same old – clawing our way into 8th come March/April.

Seriously, I still can’t stop laughing at the caption of the photo. I’m a Lowe supporter (for the most part)… but that’s priceless.

4. Hockey Noob says:

Racki, yeah, I felt the same way about the photo itself. I’m not sure that Lowe actually got enough credit for the crew that he put together for the cup run, for example. Nevertheless, I still haven’t stopped laughing at the caption.

I think it’s the look on Lowe’s face.. it’s very catatonic. Like I picture him sitting there singing the theme to the Jeffersons in his head. :D

We aren’t done yet boys. I’m think we are trading Nillson and brining in Zherdev. Don’t worry about this team guys. They greatly underachieved last year, and will get better this year. They were in 5th, yes 5th late in the season. then it went down hill. Khabi is better than Roli hands down, and won’t give up a softe a game like Roli. Quinn plays offensive hockey, something that will greatly help this team out, Get ready, the playoffs are coming back this year.

7. DropIt says:

lol, the Jeffersons…

I personally pictured him trying to think of his 5 favorite chocolate bars.

It almost seems as though Lowe questioned himself so much from letting Smyth go, that maybe he just started signing any Oiler who showed a spark of promise. And to big, long contracts just to make sure.

I think soon enough Tambellini will be the Oilers’ “saviour” as Sutter is in Calgary. He is slowly doing things to help recreate a team that could be competitive in a few years to come. He just needs to stay on those phones

8. oilfan91 says:

At Bostonoiler

The oilers are not interested in zherdev and he will not come to Edmonton

Just replying to advertise that I’ve added a quote feature, and to test it out. :lol:

Anyways, it is tough to argue with you, Oilfan91 given that recent news in the Journal. I think some people have hope that unless you hear it from Renney’s mouth it means nothing. But I’m not getting my hopes up on any moves the rest of the off-season, to be honest. We shall see.

oilfan91: At BostonoilerThe oilers are not interested in zherdev and he will not come to Edmonton

Racki: Just replying to advertise that I’ve added a quote feature, and to test it out.

sweet.