+1 to the Coach Super-team

By , August 25, 2009 2:26 pm
This shit looks pretty complicated, he gets my vote.

This shit looks pretty complicated, he gets my vote.

The Oil have just added another face to the coaching staff in Wayne Fleming. His most recent stint was as Head Coach of Avangard Omsk. You might recognize this as Jaromir Jagr’s team. So cue Jagr rumors back up.

Unfortunately, the meat is a bit tainted as he once served as assistant coach for the Calgary Flames. So maybe he has some insight on why Quasimodo is such a douche.

More details are available on the Official Oilers page.

10 Responses to “+1 to the Coach Super-team”

1. Horpensky says:

Looks like more connections from the 2002 Gold Medal team…

Pat Quinn, Head Coach
    Jacques Martin, Associate coach
    Ken Hitchcock, Associate coach
    Wayne Fleming, Associate coach
    Kevin Lowe, General Manager
    Wayne Gretzky, Executive director
    Steve Tambellini, Director of player personel

We got 4 of the 7 guys who assembled and ran the gold medal team now

Good catch on that one. It’s hard to break away from signing on people that you know and trust. But it looks, from what I can tell, that Flemming has quite a bit of experience at both the NHL and International level.

3. Hockey Noob says:

Who’s next, Ken Hitchcock? lol…

Gretzky should be looking for work soon…

I’ll just throw a bit more fuel on the Jagr idea with this old article about Jagr hand-picking Fleming to coach Omsk last year. I’m not a huge fan of picking up Jagr because even he admits he’s lost a step. But figured I’d just throw this one out there for shits and giggles for lack of anything better to talk about.

I have to say though, I find it a bit odd that Jagr hand picked Fleming without ever having been coached by him (as far as I can tell, anyways). I guess he just had that good of a reputation? :P

6. Hockey Noob says:

Hm, testing my ‘Gravatar,’ sorry Racki… lol. As for the Jagr connection with Flemming, that’s certainly interesting. Is it a potential ‘tell’ that Jagr might be headed to Edmonton–hard to say for sure I guess…

I’m just trying to spur on some crazy speculation. I see on HFBoards, someone else is doing the same thing now too. But I don’t really think Jagr will play here this year anyways. I think he’s still locked into a contract there although I can’t remember if he has an out or not. But anyways, I don’t really see him as much of a fit here as even he has admitted that he’s lost a step. Maaaaybe I could see him on line 2. He’d be a good mentor, but he said himself he only wants to play in the NHL if he’s a top liner, and he doesn’t feel he is a top liner anymore.

8. Scarriere says:

The caption under the photo was HILARIOUS!!!
    I love it here. Am I gonna fade away from the ‘other site’, or support both?
    Hhmn.

10. Mr.Majestyk says:

Racki: Well, you definitely can still hang out at the Oil site (I still do), however hopefully you stick around here too. Just think, 25 years down the road when Puttin’ On the Foil suddenly hits it big, you can say… “I was the 20th-ish user to sign up there!”

If that is the case can you make some sigs for the earliest users that say “We are your overlords!”